Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Anyone else enjoy killing civilians in video games?

KillerKingBakudan

As I stated in another thread, I find that most single-player games offer little in replayability. But sandbox games like the Hitman series and Deus Ex have a very special place in my heart for one reason: killing innocents.

Yeah, in real life, it's cruel and inhumane. No shit. None of that matters in an interactive world filled with people that aren't real, so I don't care what those mediahounds and SJWs have to say. It creates a new layer of depth in games while raising the fun factor. When you think about it, there can be hundreds of NPCs walking around on a map. They have nothing whatsoever to do with your objectives. Yet they're there, and for what? To serve as obstacles. If they witness you commit some violent act on the street, they'll alert guards, give them your description and location, and make progressing through the rest of your mission harder than it has to be. Accomplishing certain tasks without them noticing is a challenge. But it's a bigger challenge to take them out of the equation altogether, by offing them like you would any hostile target. And it's an even BIGGER challenge to do it all with no resistance. To me, there's nothing more satisfying than stalking and eliminating every living person in sight without them ever knowing you were there. Or without them being in a position to do something about it. And it never gets old because it always gives you this sense of empowerment. Like a Predator, only better. Because most of the time, you're playing the "good guy," and even though you're not supposed to be doing that shit, you still have the freedom to kill indiscriminately. That's why it's so goddamned entertaining. You can murder as many people as you want, and at the end of the day, people will still be counting on YOU to stop the bad guy. LMAO.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution actually makes it possible to kill Jensen's acquaintances, his boss, and other people that are supposed to be close to him. Like his girlfriend's mom. I remember when she came to me for help on my first playthrough. She wanted me to help gather evidence on her daughter's death, and the conspiracy to cover it up. So I completed the side mission. I gave her all the information she needed at my apartment building. And after I was awarded Praxis Points for doing it, I shanked her to death with my wrist blades, and I laughed my fucking ASS off. Then I went to the Detroit police station. An old partner of mine was sitting at the front desk. I tricked him into letting me in when he had orders not to, and I paid him back by putting a bullet in his head. Right after I'd finished massacring all the other personnel in the building. I'll never forget that hilarious news article I found detailing all the death and destruction I caused there. Or that column that came up on the front page regarding a supposed "gang war" that left civilians dead all over town. Those were MY victims. Lol. That was one of my most enjoyable gaming moments ever, bar none.

The advent of playing a game without moral boundaries is more than welcome. Without it, all the games I own would be sitting on a shelf collecting dust, and that's not what I want from my $60.

Anyone else agree? If you do, what games do you enjoy that let you play the hero as a sadistic asshole?

• Brohoof 2

Who doesn't love to go on a glorious virtual rampage? :3 That was always one of my favorite things to do in open world game even back when I was like, 10. :P I always find it fun to watch things go gradually more and more into chaos. I love doing that in games like GTA of course, Saint's Row, and for a good laugh, Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion. I have a separate file on that game purely for magic use and I just wipe people out. It never gets old. Another thing that makes it fun in games like that is it gives a feeling of adrenaline when you are pushing your luck. When the authority comes crashing down, seeing how long you last against them as well is also part of the fun.

So I find this kind of 'sadistic anarchy' to be quite fun in games. It is usually mindless, but it is good for passing the time.

• Brohoof 3

Nope, not in the slightest. I mean sure, if some get in the way then by any means I fear they might have it coming. If a guy is shooting stuff, you probably should not run into the line of fire.

But I love annoying them to no limits. Like pushing NPCs into water in Assassin's Creed etc. Just being a complete jerk to them is enough for me.

• Brohoof 2

You know... Sometimes... Driving into people and see them ragdoll is what I need for entertainment in every single GTA game i tried. They're just look funny and fun to do, although I rarely do it nowadays.

• Brohoof 2

About the only one's I've felt that way about are the minstrells (and their counterparts) in the assasins creed series. Innocent/spotter going around and not bothering me I'll leave them alone. I'll even try to avoid killing the guards who are just doing their jobs in games like "special ops" but those minstrels. Them I have on multiple occcasions just thrown a game for the satisfaction of brutally murdering them. Of course they aren't designed as innocents they're designed to be as annoying as possible.

Heck I even reloaded to get the RNG training survival in ONI because I felt bad when the other recruit died. For those unfamiliar with it in the tutorial mission there's one point where you watch another recruit fighting a training dummy only the fight is actually randomly generated so while usually the other recruit defeats the training robot they can not only lose but die in the fight. If that happens your trainer goes all "oh god no, that wasn't supposed to happen MEDIC!" over your intercom.

• Brohoof 1

As a young child, I enjoyed it a lot. But now as an adult I don't like doing it, unless they deserved it. It just doesn't seem honorable to kill someone who is unarmed, not a threat, and running away. Not to mention a big waste of bullets, or worse, causes damage and blood stains to my car.

• Brohoof 1

Unless it’s a game where the objective is to kill people in order to progress in the goal, I don’t like killing civilians, or even other players for that matter.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
26 minutes ago, Pr0m4NV14 said:

Unless it’s a game where the objective is to kill people in order to progress in the goal, I don’t like killing civilians, or even other players for that matter.

I prefer coop games as well. I even understand the kind of person who likes to prove themseves better than other players by beating them in a fight what bugs me are the ones who think its funny to take their PVP focused, minmaxed kill machine and rather than seeing who wins in a fight against another PVP focused, minmaxed kill machine instead run around killing new players to the game.

Edited by Senko
  • Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Pr0m4NV14 said:

That makes me wonder how you'd take Hatred on the PC. In that game, killing civvies is pretty much what you're supposed to do. Lol.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

usually not, but i did like wearing the Gray fox Mask and killing Hordes of guards in 'TES IV Oblivion' they weren't civilians i guess,being guards and all, but there weren't guilty of anything either so maybe it counts
there wasn't exactly a challenging battle to find anywhere else in that game so that was probably the reason

bonus: when a game has chicken just running around in the background, for some odd reason i always try to see if they're killable or kickable(Fable did great in that regard it even had a contest of 'chicken kickin')

Edited by Lord Valtasar
  • Brohoof 1