Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

visual art Mars Images 7/24/2018

Phosphor

For the past month or so, Mars has been engulfed in global dust storms. Thankfully, with Opposition only 3 days away, it appears that the dust is settling. Just a couple weeks ago, Mars looked like a butterscotch candy. 

The Polar Icecap, clouds, and some surface detail are visible in the color image. The Near Infrared image shows a bit more surface detail, since smaller dust particles are transparent in the longer wavelengths. Enjoy!

Telescope: Skywatcher 16

Cameras: ZWO ASI224MC and ASI178MM

Mars_Color.jpg

Mars_IR850 (1).jpg

• Brohoof 5

8 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

I really wish I had the same equipment as you. Those images are eye candy. *-* I'd be looking through it all day. XD Have you ever looked at a galaxy through this?

I've seen the Andromeda Galaxy and Orion's Nebula with the 16" telescope. The step up from a small refractor or even 8" reflector is amazing! I photograph galaxies and such in the winter time with a small refractor telescope. It is much easier to track and guide compared to a heavier scope. 

• Brohoof 1

Another great night for imaging. Hopefully the dust continues to settle. I'm excited to image more surface details. I may also image in UV next time to really bring out the polar icecap and clouds.

1st image is in color, 2nd is NIR, 3rd is full spectrum (Vis+NIR)

Telescope: Skywatcher 16

Camera: ZWO ASI224MC

Mars_Color_7-27-2018_CWB.jpg

Mars_NIR_7-27-2018.jpg

Mars_NIR+Color_7-27-2018_CWB.jpg

• Brohoof 2