Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Most overrated sport?

Octavia Heartstrings

One of the few things I like about sports is seeing others getting angry at it.  It's just so amusing to see them seething in rage when their team loses, to see them so emotional over something so trivial. 

It's almost like I'm trolling them without actually having to troll them.

• Brohoof 2

3 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

That's still pretty weird. It makes sense from the context of the ball itself but not the sport.

And now with Americans ditching the term soccer with football.....

4 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

It's called "Football" because the ball is a foot long :fluttershy:

And didn't it come from "Rugby Football"?

Despite not being a big sports fan, I know a bit because my brother is a big sports fan (practicing and following). If you ask me, I would say the most overrated sport is football (soccer). As someone pointed out before, I find it kinda dull and non-exciting. There are many matches that end 0-0, and in matches that can't end in tie, penalties are mostly based on luck. Also, it has some very violent fans, more than any other sport. And finally, where I live football is the only topic some people would talk about.

I'd also say the reason why football is the most popular sport worldwide it's because it just needs a ball (or something that can work like a ball, like a dried cow s**t) and a goalpost (even made with rocks, for example) for playing. Other sports require more complex fields or teams.

Just my humble opinion.

• Brohoof 2

Just now, Shadowfax said:

One of the few things I like about sports is seeing others getting angry at it.  It's just so amusing to see them seething in rage when their team loses, to see them so emotional over something so trivial. 

It's almost like I'm trolling them without actually having to troll them.

I must admit, that's quite an spectacle itself :D. You have no idea my pleasure of my brother's anger when Colombia lost against England. Why was he supporting Colombia? Because it was the hispanic team :dry:. AM I THE ONLY ONE IN MY FAMILY WHO DOESN'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT THEIR RACE :eww:? And they later call American racist :dry:

4 minutes ago, Acons said:

I'd also say the reason why football is the most popular sport worldwide it's because it just needs a ball (or something that can work like a ball, like a dried cow s**t) and a goalpost (even made with rocks, for example) for playing. Other sports require more complex fields or teams.

One thing people over estimate is Soccer's worldwide success.  This comes from Europeans and their highly Euro-centric view of the world, thinking that just because Euros love it, everyone loves it.  In reality, there are many major nations that just do not care as much for it.  In the US, American Football reigns supreme (of course).  In Japan, it's baseball.  For China, it's, ironically, basketball.  For India, it's cricket.  Outside of Europe, the only other places that really care for it are Latin American nations and African Nations.  These places aren't wealthy, and as you said, soccer is economically lithe, so unsurprisingly a cheap sport is the most popular in nations where they may not be able to perform other sports on a reliable basis.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

In my opinion, definitely soccer. I really don't see the big fuss in it. 

And golf. It's fun to play but it is THE most boring sport to watch. :nom:

Edited by Lucky Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

8 minutes ago, Lucky Bolt said:

In my opinion, definitely soccer. I really don't see the big fuss in it. 

And golf. It's fun to play but it is THE most boring sport to watch. :nom:

Golf is somehow worse than baseball to watch

I absolutely cannot get into football (the American football, not soccer). To be fair, I don't like watching sports at all, really. But I would rather watch basketball or yes, even golf (gasp!), than football. Not a big fan of baseball either, but at least I can understand it. 

Originally I said that US football is the most overrated sport by far, but I just remembered another sport that I hate so much that I forgot about it when making that post. :wacko: That sport, is horse racing. Ugh. Horse racing is so damn stupid and I do not see why it is enjoyed by so many people. The horse does most of the work! What is the point? Then when the horses are pushed to their breaking point and become injured, there's the classic stories of the horses then being put down as a result. To hell with that. Not sure how often that happens these days, but just the fact that it ever did happen is enough to get on my bad side. Then the riders get all sorts of glory and fame for barely doing anything. Like, wow. You sat on top of a horse, whipped it a bunch and it did all of the running for you. Here, have a medal for nothing. Pointless.

• Brohoof 1

I think Basketball is overrated. I tried getting into watching it before, but everytime I turn on a Timberwolves game it's just way too boring.

I think most sports are overrated, but I have to say that American football. First off, IT ISN'T ACTUALLY FOOT BALL. The only time that a player hits the ball with their foot is punting. Secondly, I've had to watch so many games of it over time that it just has become beyond boring to watch. I came over to somebody's house last year for the super bowl only for the snacks. I didn't care whatsoever about the game (and I wouldn't care much even if the Seahawks were there and I was born in Seattle), and it was more of a bore to me than anything else.

Honestly, to add to the beginning part, there's no sport really worth watching to me. I don't even watch Esports games really, and I played League for a few years and I kept up with Overwatch stuff for a while. The only time sports are fun are when the dopey fans are killing each other. It's fairly amusing when that happens. Oh and when they crash in NASCAR races. 

• Brohoof 1

I'd say basketball but I at least understand the rules. Football only exists so America can feel special. The sport is needlessly brutal for the sake of toughness yet rely on an absurd amount of padding and protection, not to mention the rules of the game is insanely complex that it's hard to make sense of. Also football fans are some of the absolute worse

• Brohoof 2

Football, or soccer for Americans. It's mostly just a really boring sport, in my opinion, but so many people are crazy about it. Another one I don't like much is darts, because it has an annoying habit of being on TV and delaying the rare few movies I actually still watch on TV. I just don't consider it much of a sport, really.

• 1 month later...
On 7/26/2018 at 2:38 PM, Kyoshi said:

Nearly every sport to me is overrated and filled with arrogant, overpaid people that act like babies when they don't win (despite being rich as hell), but the one that tops the cake of all of that is US football. One, the name doesn't even make any damn sense. "It is a game where you mostly use your hands, what should we call it? Football! Genius!" Second, the vast majority of the watching experience is start, stop, commercials, start, stop, commercials, start, timeout, commercials commercials and more commercials. It all feels so corporate and boring. Seems like 80% of it are commercials.

The only thing I can take from it is I like the idea of taking pride in your state's team, I like taking any kind of pride in my state, but I wish it didn't have to come from something so static and uninteresting. Sure, I will occasionally watch a game if the Colts are playing, but that is if I have nothing else to do.

On 7/31/2018 at 7:14 PM, This Whomps said:

I'd say basketball but I at least understand the rules. Football only exists so America can feel special. The sport is needlessly brutal for the sake of toughness yet rely on an absurd amount of padding and protection, not to mention the rules of the game is insanely complex that it's hard to make sense of. Also football fans are some of the absolute worse

The name "football" didn't really come from using your feet to kick the ball, it was used to refer to any sport that requires to use your feet in general. Back then, a lot of more "refined" sports such as polo were played on horseback, and sports like rugby didn't get official rules until much later. American football is a descendant of rugby (union football), but since it's different enough to not be the same sport, they just omitted the "rugby" part. 

So does rugby exist to make Brits feel special, or Australian football to make Australians feel special? Some cultures have sports that are native to them. I'm personally not interested in American football, but I don't think it's exactly fair to bash sports that oneself don't fully understand or are simply not interested in. Plenty of other posts here have probably made bold assumptions about the sport they call "overrated" and probably don't understand the amount of effort, skill, or strategy behind the scenes. 

15 hours ago, Anneal said:

The name "football" didn't really come from using your feet to kick the ball, it was used to refer to any sport that requires to use your feet in general. Back then, a lot of more "refined" sports such as polo were played on horseback, and sports like rugby didn't get official rules until much later. American football is a descendant of rugby (union football), but since it's different enough to not be the same sport, they just omitted the "rugby" part. 

So does rugby exist to make Brits feel special, or Australian football to make Australians feel special? Some cultures have sports that are native to them. I'm personally not interested in American football, but I don't think it's exactly fair to bash sports that oneself don't fully understand or are simply not interested in. Plenty of other posts here have probably made bold assumptions about the sport they call "overrated" and probably don't understand the amount of effort, skill, or strategy behind the scenes. 

To me, the amount of skill, effort and whatever doesn't matter to me. It depends on the sheer obsession with said sport by society and how much these people get paid. Football is a good example of people absolutely obsessing over sport that isn't all that exciting except for specific points, but people see excitement in different ways, but these people are extremely overpaid. What exactly are these people doing? Throwing a ball around for the purpose of...not a whole lot. Yet they get paid millions upon millions of dollars. This is where my argument of most sports being overrated comes in. Most sports players are so damn overpaid, because sports are quite redundant. They don't exactly accomplish a whole lot unless you are the one playing it and even then, these people aren't scientists. Artists. Inventors. Nothing like that. They are sports players, that's it. It all ties together with the hardcore celebrity worship that goes on in this country in particular. I hate it all. I have no problem with people enjoying a sport and such, but most of them are insanely overrated due to their insane popularity and just how overpaid the players are.

I don't care for most team sports, especially watching them. If you're playing sports and getting excercise and meeting people out of something like that through actually doing it that's one thing, but just watching/supporting sports - especially to the ridiculous extent most fans do - is a little pointless to me. I guess people could say the same thing about my enjoyment of watching let's plays, but hey, it's my opinion.

TBH I don't care for anything but tennis. :mlp_wat: But I'm gonna put Baseball as the most overrated. Yeah it has strategy and more to it on the surface than other sports at least but anything labeled 'America's Favorite Passtime' is asking for criticism.