Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your Opinion on the British Culture?

Literatel

I'm just referring to things that are stereo-typically British, even if they are indeed true. You know, them wearing (or that they used to wear) top hats and other forms of fancy attire, their accents (I know there is more than one), their cars, double decker buses, their sense of humor, their love for tea, etc.

Also, what do you think of the stereotype that all British people are ugly? :P

Note: As for the accent part, mid Atlantic is also included in there as an option. If you don't know what that accent sounds like, Rarity is the perfect example.

15 minutes ago, Lord Valtasar said:

I love british humour.accents. and culture in general. Their cars though? I can't stand them(aston martin is an exception)

Same here. Although I do like the mini cooper style cars- like the one that Mr. Bean drives.

• Brohoof 1

Very cool culture. I even like the crappy food everyone complains about. British wit is often sly and understated but clever and really funny. I like the way they dress and their speech mannerisms are the best. I don't think I've heard of the stereotype that they're all ugly, but that's obviously ridiculous. 

One thing I know about british culture is the only thing they love more than criticizing other countries is criticizing themselves 

1 minute ago, Dreambiscuit said:

I LOVE British culture! I really identify with all things British and often feel like my ancestral roots are calling me back, even if the weather is a bit damp. :please:

Thank goodness you said "damp", and not "moist". :squee: :eww:

I don't know a whole lot about British culture aside from their music. I have never made it any secret that I adore British folk music. At this point British Folk may be my favorite kind of non-classical music, and that's saying a lot. The country of England lays claim to the only opera I really like, Henry Purcell's Dido and Aeneas. Then a fair amount of post-Classic era composers and music I love comes from the British isles in the last half of the 19th century through the 20th century. Composers like Finzi, Vaughan Williams, and Holst are fantastic. Also it is thanks to British music that the oboe saw a revival in interest after the Romantic era which just wasn't kind to it. So I can thank the British for actually valuing my instrument!

As I said, I'm not too familiar with British culture as a whole. I will say I enjoy British history just as much as any other kind of European history, though. I actually took a class called "Medieval England" which went over the history of the British isles from pre-history up to the House of Tudor and it was one of my favorite classes.

(edited)

dude, what even is this thread?!

Im British and i just dont know what im reading. I guess I could do a similar thread for Americans? Them crazy cowboy hat wearing yanks with their pick up trucks, moonshine, denim and check shirts eatin hamburgers.

You talk about us as if we're alien. We're not too disimilar to you lot.

Edited by StormBlaze
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)
9 minutes ago, StormBlaze said:

dude, what even is this thread?!

Im British and i just dont know what im reading. I guess I could do a similar thread for Americans? Them crazy cowboy hat wearing yanks with their pick up trucks, moonshine, denim and check shirts eatin hamburgers.

You talk about us as if we're alien. We're not too disimilar to you lot.

I would have posted a picture showing you what the average American looks like (aka an average person), but due to my fear of being called a racist (when I am not), I shall not do so.

I have British heritage as well, but ever since I was an infant, I've lived in Canada. You know, the place where snow covers the ground year-round, where we live in igloos, ride caribou, drink maple syrup, and say, "eh" at the end of every sentence... eh.

The point of this post is to simply and politely ask people what they think of British culture. Sure, you (and everyone else) are "normal" people (what is normal?), but not every culture is the exact same. :P

Feel free to make a thread about Americans. But don't expect me to go about spamming the forums, asking people what they think of each and every culture individually via hundreds of threads. I just find British culture to be one of the most interesting. :)

Edited by Melody2222
  • Brohoof 1

This may be a little off topic, but I will say it anyways. First, before I begin,when I say American I am referring to the United States specifically. Now I begin. American culture isn't superior to any other culture; as a matter of fact, the opposite could possibly be true since we are so obsessed with technology and ourselves. Just because we have the latest technology doesn't mean we have superiority in all cultural aspects. Why is Trump trying to make America great again if it is already the best? Aside from that, I think the British culture is fantastic just the way it is. They appear to be better than the American culture because they have common courtesy that does not seem to be too present in America today (some people don't even respect our own president). The reason why I talked about the American culture is because this discussion could have resulted because someone from America looked down on the British culture, thinking America is the most superior in all aspects (not accusing anyone here of such, just a thought I had in mind).

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:20 PM, Narcissus said:

I even like the crappy food everyone complains about.

I think I know why people say it tastes crappy. It is because they are used to American fast food and junk food, which is full of all sorts of harmful and unhealthy ingredients. Most of those foods have salt, full of sodium, which causes an increase in blood pressure if consumed way too much. It also can make you thirsty, which explains the dry taste in your mouth, and can lead to dehydration which can result in hypernatremia.

I know I strayed a little off topic in this comment. Being honest, I did talk about British culture and cultures in general, which are subtopics; however, if I need to edit some things out, please inform me and I will gladly comply.

• Brohoof 2

2 minutes ago, EpicEnergy said:

This may be a little off topic, but I will say it anyways. First, before I begin,when I say American I am referring to the United States specifically. Now I begin. American culture isn't superior to any other culture; as a matter of fact, the opposite could possibly be true since we are so obsessed with technology and ourselves. Just because we have the latest technology doesn't mean we have superiority in all cultural aspects. Why is Trump trying to make America great again if it is already the best? Aside from that, I think the British culture is fantastic just the way it is. They appear to be better than the American culture because they have common courtesy that does not seem to be too present in America today (some people don't even respect our own president). The reason why I talked about the American culture is because this discussion could have resulted because someone from America looked down on the British culture, thinking America is the most superior in all aspects (not accusing anyone here of such, just a thought I had in mind).

I think I know why people say it tastes crappy. It is because they are used to American fast food and junk food, which is full of all sorts of harmful and unhealthy ingredients. Most of those foods have salt, full of sodium, which causes an increase in blood pressure if consumed way too much. It also can make you thirsty, which explains the dry taste in your mouth, and can lead to dehydration which can result in hypernatremia.

I know I strayed a little off topic in this comment. Being honest, I did talk about British culture and cultures in general, which are subtopics; however, if I need to edit some things out, please inform me and I will gladly comply.

Your reply is completely valid, potentially helpful, and quite fascinating. :)

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Harper said:

Why would a countries vote change your opinion of it's people, that makes no sense unless you conflate Brexit with racism? Which it most certainly is not about.   

I dont understand the reasoning behind it. To me it seems like just strong feeling towards your own country which i never understood either, so i cannot really see any significant benefits on why people would vote for it 

Tough question--there's over a thousand years of English history to sort through. I mean...medieval London would suck to live in but it's fascinating to read about. :P

I can't condense my feelings about an entire civilization into a few sentences.

Edited by Kings&Hooves14

no comment, if the thread read "your opinion on the american culture?" instead, I'll be happy to share.