Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

health Anyone with mental health issues?

CandyCorn

Is there anyone out there with mental health issues? I mean more like anxiety, depression etc... it doesn't just have to be autism, but I won't disregard anyone for posting about this either. I just don't want to make this thread a repeat of the autistic thread. Also, if there's already a thread about this, feel free to redirect me there. ^^

As for myself... aside from my autism, I have very severe anxiety. It's often so bad that it disables me from doing most things. A lot of medical pros tell me it's due to my anxiety, which is a little stupid. They don't really understand how hard it is or how bad it can get. I've also self-harmed before. I've been clean for several months now, and I'm very proud of myself for this!

• Brohoof 5

My situation is quite similar to yours, Giggles. I am autistic, but I also have crippling anxiety. It affects most aspects of my life, to the point where at times I literally do nothing. It often makes it where I cannot enjoy anything. I also cannot drive because of it, so that limits me too. Not great. It is nuts the amount of things I will worry about on a daily basis. Even something like social standing on these forums is something I worry about a lot. I sometimes have nervous twitches as a result of this stuff as well.

Beyond that I also have depression and some pretty hardcore self-esteem issues. All of these things are not a great mix. They tend to jumble together to make a clusterbuck of bad moods.

• Brohoof 1

Aside from my Aspergers, though I've never been formally diagnosed (mostly due to the mental health care system turning it's back on me when I was a teenager) I believe I may have depression. It comes at random - I'll feel just fine, then I feel hopeless like everything is meaningless and it can last for days, sometimes weeks. 

(edited)

I don't think it's mental health issues but...

I stutter so much that I refuse to talk sometimes.

I made so many Lapsus while talking

Spoiler

A lapsus (Latin for "lapse, slip, error") is an involuntary mistake made while writing or speaking, something long studied in philology.

So ... I can't really talk normally and express myself with other people. Even with my family.

Edited by A French Derpy full of Salt

1 minute ago, Kyoshi said:

My situation is quite similar to yours, Giggles. I am autistic, but I also have crippling anxiety. It affects most aspects of my life, to the point where at times I literally do nothing. It often makes it where I cannot enjoy anything. I also cannot drive because of it, so that limits me too. Not great. It is nuts the amount of things I will worry about on a daily basis. Even something like social standing on these forums is something I worry about a lot. I sometimes have nervous twitches as a result of this stuff as well.

Beyond that I also have depression and some pretty hardcore self-esteem issues. All of these things are not a great mix. They tend to jumble together to make a clusterbuck of bad moods.

omg... my anxiety used to be really bad like that! I started taking meds for it, and it's helped me a lot more. I can't drive either due to having paranoia and such. I can't even walk out my front door by myself without wanting to just start bawling. ><

• Brohoof 1

I have a bit of anxiety, which comes out the most when there is a threat for high end severe weather. I also have have had a handful of bouts with depression, so I may have long term depression. On top of this, I might also have a bit of autism, as my younger brother has that.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Asperger's syndrome: ✔

Limited empathy: ✔

Not really caring others' fellings: ✔

Loudly saying what I think (is it even a mental issue?): ✔

Resisting, with just spontanic little schedule change: ✔

Seeking for happiness outside of the real world (internet, my fav pony etc.): ✔

Being usually crazy, when it comes to group work: ✔

Time limit exaggeration stress: ✔

Edited by Iam
Extra "✔"

Well, I have a few... earlier in my life I had tourettes syndrome as they call it but I think grew out of it. As of right now, I think I would say have depressive episodes sometimes but they usually go away after a few hours. The only major thing would be is anxiety in general. Sometimes social anxiety, test anxiety, time anxiety, you name it.

• Brohoof 1

While growing up I was bullied to the point that in high school I suffered from paranoia. I thought that people could read my mind and were monitoring me, even my parents. With a psychiatrist, I was able to resolve it.

I still suffer a reading comprehension problem where I have to read something several times in order it remember it. A reading tutor showed me how to take notes at the end of a chapter so that I wouldn’t forget what I had read. 

I have some (not many) periods of depression and anxiety. 

I mainly suffer from PTSD, and Depression making going outside draining. I have various coping mechanisms some of which can be viewed as not healthy, depending on your opinion on it.

I suppose you could say I'm in "remission" after a really bad bout of depression that lasted for a few years. I'm in a much better place now than I was about 4 years ago.

I continue to deal with anxiety, but that has gotten better, particularly over the past two years.

And I sometimes have episodes of paranoia... like I have this nagging feeling that I'm being spied on even though I know that's irrational. It's not debilitating or anything, and it has gotten better just like my depression and anxiety.

• Brohoof 2

I had depression for over a decade (beats me how I survived that :yeahno:). While that time is over, it caused be some damage in my mind: slight PTSD, occasional mild depressive episodes, and a bit of sociopathy 

33 minutes ago, Mickey Adaptus said:

I have Classic Autism with an Anxiety Disorder, tough I also have misophonia,   so...  I tend to have it pretty rough at times.

But depression tends to be around quite alot as well.

Yeah, technically... I might have classic autism as well. I can communicate, but I struggle some with being able to express myself both verbally and emotionally. I rely heavily on using writing as my primary outlet at at times. They didn't give me a specific name for it... they just said I was on the spectrum. *shrug*

• Brohoof 1

59 minutes ago, Fluttershy Giggles said:

Yeah, technically... I might have classic autism as well. I can communicate, but I struggle some with being able to express myself both verbally and emotionally. I rely heavily on using writing as my primary outlet at at times. They didn't give me a specific name for it... they just said I was on the spectrum. *shrug*

I see, from what I remember, when I was 8 years old they had diagnosed me with pdd nos, but that turned out to be wrong as at the age of 13 I had gotten the diagnosis of classic autism with an anxiety disorder.

1 minute ago, Mickey Adaptus said:

I see, from what I remember, when I was 8 years old they had diagnosed me with pdd nos, but that turned out to be wrong as at the age of 13 I had gotten the diagnosis of classic autism with an anxiety disorder.

Yeah... I also have the anxiety part as well, and it sucks so much. :c I was diagnosed with ADHD and a learning disability in the second grade. I still have those two even to this day, but they added an ASD to my list of "problems" too. Now, I'm starting to think I might have slight Dyspraxia, but I'm still not entirely sure...

• Brohoof 1

57 minutes ago, Fluttershy Giggles said:

Yeah... I also have the anxiety part as well, and it sucks so much. :c I was diagnosed with ADHD and a learning disability in the second grade. I still have those two even to this day, but they added an ASD to my list of "problems" too. Now, I'm starting to think I might have slight Dyspraxia, but I'm still not entirely sure...

Oof, sorry to hear that, i hope you will be able to cope with it.

I guess my biggest problem might be my MIsophonia, as I am sensitive to troath sounds, if anyone coughs or clears their throat, I get a very agitated reaction to it, alongside a sudden response of fear and headaches.

But keep in mind that my Misophonia was not something i was born with, but rather ended up developing at the age of 16 in my case.

Just now, Mickey Adaptus said:

Oof, sorry to hear that, i hope you will be able to cope with it.

I guess my biggest problem might be my MIsophonia, as I am sensitive to troath sounds, if anyone coughs or clears their throat, I get a very agitated reaction to it, alongside a sudden response of fear and headaches.

But keep in mind that my Misophonia was not something i was born with, but rather ended up developing at the age of 16 in my case.

Oh wow. Yeah... I can cope with my anxiety somewhat better now. I also created a mental health tracker. It helps me keep track of my mental health, and I have this anxiety scale that I use to rate my anxiety. It's only been ranging between 2 or 3, which is actually pretty average for me and not that bad! I do get bad days as well, but there was a time when my anxiety got sooooo bad that I actually ended up becoming depressed because of it. I just could not do anything. I pretty much felt like I was dying inside. I would always self-harm and get triggered by every little thing. It's finally under more control now thanks to one of my daily morning meds I take!

• Brohoof 1

I have autism and some form of a mood disorder. I've learned how to cope with both though after years of battling depression and even at times where I feel really anxious, I've learned how to keep cool and levelheaded both when I'm interacting with people in real life and on the internet.

(edited)

*raises hand*  I have ADHD, as in fully tested (including being hooked up to a full EEG & MRI) & documented...  This of course is the source of my OTHER mental problems due to the fact that, thanks to the ADHD going undiagnosed until I was 9, on top of which I was born & raised in the middle of Bum-f**k Egypt with no other kids my age to play with (aside from my brother, who is 2-years younger than me) prior to starting elementary school, so I ended up doing stupid shit that made all the other kids hate & bully me constantly from the time I started kindergarten up to the time I graduated.  I still have really shitty social skills thanks to all that, which is why I could easily empathize with Starlight Glimmer in Season 6.

As a result of said bullying, I have anxiety issues & PTSD (which my military service added to, but the service-related PTSD is nowhere near as bad as what was the result of being constantly bullied), as well as fairly regular bouts of depression stemming from them.

Even with weekly counseling sessions with a licensed psychotherapist, some day's it's still a major struggle to get out of bed and do anything at all...

Even so, despite being in the middle of one of my bouts of anxiety & depression, I am determined to get into my car & drive down to Baltimore & go to BronyCon this weekend & not give in to just staying home & doing nothing....

Edited by DJ_Bonebraker

Depression for much of the past 10 years, along with some anxiety that's recently gotten worse due to family things. Been suicidal a few times, attempted twice. Was bullied lots in school, never had much confidence in myself likely from growing up around family that always knew their capabilities and pushed themselves while constantly comparing their accomplishments to yours. Granted I've accepted now where my life has gone is mostly my own fault for how I deal or don't deal with things, but yeah, most mornings I wonder why I get out of bed.

I have bad social anxiety. Keeps me from going out or making friends. I was deep in depression for awhile, though I'm slowly getting out of it fortunately.