Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is it fair to say that most Bronies are left leaning?

AveryGamerDude

I had this on the mind because I've been having to deal with politics a lot in recent history. And on some polls I've seen on the religious views of Bronies, the vast majority of them identified as atheist. And according to recent studies, 66% of atheists identify as Democrat, Liberal, or left-leaning, which would bring me to the conclusion that Bronies tend to identify as left-wingers. I personally am a Brony, an atheist, and I'm left-wing as hell. Which makes sense in my eyes, considering that the official MLP Facebook page supported LGBT pride day last month. Is it fair of me to say this?

• Brohoof 3

I don't know why people would think that. People lean whatever way they want to and there is absolutely no correlation at least in my view.

Personally, I'm independent and I could care less about politics.

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

Depends on how one defines left and right tbh. 

Going completely on labels others have given me, I am an anarco-fascist, a free market communist, and am somehow simultaneously part of both the Democrat and Republican parties. 

Edited by Twiggy

(edited)

traditionally speaking, I would expect most "bronies" would identify as left-leaning, considering they'd be more accepted under the ideological umbrella of the left. The idea of bronies was mocked openly on fox news- the notion of males (especially adult males) liking a show like FiM is antithetical to conservative thought. Though, there is such a thing as "fascist furries" so anything is possible :P

Edited by Olly

Mm...probably? The Brony movement is pretty progressive (in theory :derp:). 

You could argue that Equestria is a somewhat conservative civilization...but I suppose that's irrelevant to this particular conversation. 

I've mentioned this in other topics, but I'm a (slightly right-leaning) moderate.

• Brohoof 1

I don't know if the MLP fandom is left leaning or not. I generally don't worry about political views too much. Going thru college, most of my colleagues were either progressive or center-left (I consider myself to be libertarian) and we got along quite well. We would occasionally make fun of each others political views, but it was all in good humor.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Kings&Hooves14 said:

Mm...probably? The Brony movement is pretty progressive (in theory :derp:). 

You could argue that Equestria is a somewhat conservative civilization...but I suppose that's irrelevant to this particular conversation. 

I've mentioned this in other topics, but I'm a (slightly right-leaning) moderate.

I wouldn't say it meets American brand conservatism though. (Other than the fact that everyone is a theist.)

4 hours ago, Olly said:

traditionally speaking, I would expect most "bronies" would identify as left-leaning, considering they'd be more accepted under the ideological umbrella of the left. The idea of bronies was mocked openly on fox news- the notion of males (especially adult males) liking a show like FiM is antithetical to conservative thought.

That's honestly one of the reasons I'm a left-winger.

25 minutes ago, Phosphor270 said:

I don't know if the MLP fandom is left leaning or not. I generally don't worry about political views too much. Going thru college, most of my colleagues were either progressive or center-left (I consider myself to be libertarian) and we got along quite well. We would occasionally make fun of each others political views, but it was all in good humor.

Sounds fun. I have friends with differing political views, but I don't mind. I honestly don't care if people have different political views then me, as long as it makes sense and they don't act butthurt whenever I state mine. (Which happens way too often on the internet unfortunately.

• Brohoof 2

I don't think it's fair to say that based on that finding alone. There's a large portion of social media users in general who identify as atheists or not caring about religion, it's not restricted to the MLP community.

7 hours ago, Califorum said:

I don't know why people would think that. People lean whatever way they want to and there is absolutely no correlation at least in my view.

^Exactly this^

One has nothing to do with the other. I'm extremely religious, conservative and right-leaning. Some are, some aren't. The ponies are their own universe, gratifyingly removed from worldly silliness.  

• Brohoof 2

I mean, putting politics where politics arent the theme is kinda weird in my eyes. The Ponies arent left, right or centre; they just know how to behave civil. They are open-minded, sure, but not all left peeps are open-minded. Not all center peeps are open minded, ETC.

Now the fandom? Who cares? I mean, in my experiences politics only divide. Acting like civil peeps unites. Nothing about being left, right, or center is civil.

• Brohoof 2

Younger people tend to be more left-leaning than older people.

Bronies tend to be younger people.

Putting two and two together, it would not surprise me if bronies tend to be more left-leaning than what you might find in a random sample of people.

• Brohoof 3

21 hours ago, Admiral Regulus said:

Younger people tend to be more left-leaning than older people.

Bronies tend to be younger people.

Putting two and two together, it would not surprise me if bronies tend to be more left-leaning than what you might find in a random sample of people.

See? It makes sense, doesn't it?? That's what I've been saying!

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

I've always been fairly right-leaning, and being a brony has not correlated to or interferred with that. A while back the cringier, more extreme left flooded into the fandom diminishing the quality of interactions, and I joined the exodus choosing to disassociate from the fandom as a whole, but that was a seperate issue.

• Brohoof 1