Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is it fair to say that most Bronies are left leaning?

AveryGamerDude

Depends on the places. Most I've met are right-leaning, but I don't think my experience is a fair assessment to the political leaning of bronies in general, because most bronies I've met come from this forum, and the Debate Symposium leads me to believe most here (at least those who care about politics) lean to the right. I actually think most bronies are generally left-leaning.

Though, speaking in honest terms, bronies in general probably have no sympathy from one side or the other, seeing as they were mocked by the conservatives (FOX) and done in by the liberals regarding Derpy.

I would not say that Bronies are mostly left-leaning, but a big group of Bronies are  people who have also a big interest in Technology and natural science and so, they have often progressive/left-liberal views and are often atheists, agnostics or have liberal religious attitudes. But I also know conservative, right-leaned and strong religious bronies. It also depends on other cirumstances. For example, I would say that Bronies from more religious/conservative countries/regions are also usually more religious and traditionel/conservative than Bronies from more left-liberal parts of the world. And I would also say that a big group of Bronies are political centrally or have no interest in politics. 

• 2 weeks later...

"Bronies and atheism" is a widespread clicheé. And I get the impression that sometimes, left-wing people like to associate the Brony fandom with the Right, especially one of its fringe ideologies, "anarcho-capitalism". The same they do with anime and cartoons in general. I have no guess why. Maybe because all of those (MLP, atheism, right-wing politics, anarcho-capitalism) appeal to neckbeards?

Edited by GuerrierCosmique

From what I've seen on Twitter, it would seem that the fandom is fairly left-winged, but that's still just a small number of prominent fandom members that are vocal about it. This thread seems to show a more even split between liberals and conservatives, so perhaps I was wrong. I'm more of a conservative personally, though I think that FiM's values are able to fit with many people from both political stripes.

I would be in the minority if this proves to be accurate, because I'm not an atheist nor am I left-leaning.

However, I'm not convinced of this idea, nor of the idea based solely upon a few polls that the majority of bronies are atheists. As a matter of fact, I doubt the legitimacy of many polls, people give too much credit to them and false or questionable assumptions arise from them. Look at the election for example: Hillary was supposed to win by long shot, it seemed like everyone would vote for her and crush Trump, yet Trump is the one who won by a long shot! My point is, there are many cases of silent majority vs vocal minority.

I honestly don't think most bronies are left leaning, and I also don't think most bronies are atheists, but that's just my opinion. I'll be willing to change it if I see a solid and concrete reason to think otherwise, I'm not that dogmatic about it; however, it honestly doesn't matter to me what side bronies are on regarding religious and political affiliation.

Edited by SpookyEnergy

28 minutes ago, Bas said:

Not convinced by this example because a ) elections are a topic for themselves and b ) Clinton got 3 million more votes than Trump.

Yes, I agree with both your points; however, even though Clinton received more popular votes, she still lost because Trump had more electoral votes from what I remember, yet the mainstream media and tons of others believed Clinton would win, myself included. That is why I brought up the 2016 presidential election, it was to emphasize my point that there are factors out there such as silent majority vs vocal minority that can influence polls and cause them to convey inaccurate information, not as a topic in and of itself.

On 7/29/2018 at 12:08 AM, AveryGamerDude said:

Sounds fun. I have friends with differing political views, but I don't mind. I honestly don't care if people have different political views then me, as long as it makes sense and they don't act butthurt whenever I state mine. (Which happens way too often on the internet unfortunately.

Generally I don't think many people care about views. It's when those views threaten to become laws and start impacting how people are/aren't allowed to live, that's when things start getting ugly.

• Brohoof 2

I'm so right that I'm libertarian, at least I would be if I voted. I more stay out of politics. Keep the government out of my business and I'll stay out of the government's business. Real change comes from good people helping one another, not from political parties. 

• Brohoof 1