Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What old gen should I watch?

Lucartini

(edited)

You should watch G1. If you are to watch any of the previous generations you need to watch g1. I recommend watching the specials such as “rescue at midnight castle” and “escape from catrina” first then you should watch “Return of Tambelon” these are the episodes I think all bronies should watch at least and if they like even one of them they should watch some other episodes of g1. Let me break down the dates for ya.

• “Rescue at Midnight Castle”was the first mlp publicly broadcasted animation EVER and originally was just called “my little pony” when it first aired in the year 1984 2 years after the toyline came to light when hasbro bought “my pretty pony” which came to light in 1981
  • ”Escape from Catrina” was the second mlp animation special which aired in 1985 and would be the last special before the movie which came out in 1986.
  • ”Return of Tambelon” was an episode in the first season of the show “My Little Pony n’ Friends” which is what most people call g1 mlp in terms of animations. The show aired after the movie came out and was on Tv from 1986 to 1987. The show has two seasons and over 60 episodes in existence consisting mainly of stand alone episodes and 4 part episodes (with the exception of the end of flutter valley) 

I highly recommend starting off watching these first over anything else in g1 or g3 (g2 had no cartoon) personally I love both g1 and g4 the most and I have watched all of g1(not to mention some of my little pony tales which I refer to as “g1.5” as it came before g2 came out between g1 and g2 and the show aired with 25 episode all in the same year in 1992). I think the movie is alright I personally would give it 3 out of 5 stars but it isn’t necessary to watch it but it isn’t as bad as some think. I definetly wholeheartedly recommend people who like g4 to watch at least some of g1!

31E690A0-7DAF-49AE-A187-DA1F5DF30E09.gif.92abc7596e2b0d5ec93c949fe2eb9e69.gif

So adorable!

Edited by The Whiteraven
  • Brohoof 3

• 2 weeks later...

All the G3 specials, the movie A very minty Christmas, the core 7 reboot and the G3.5 movie Twinkle Wish Adventure. G3.5 actually wasn't that bad, considering it was only one film.

Yes, one film. Newborn cuties isn't G3.5. It needs to be counted as its own seperate class of atrocity. 

On 8/8/2018 at 4:39 AM, Moon Glow said:

My Little Pony Tales!! Such a really cute show - I can't recall what gen it is lol uwu however, it's my favourite series next to FiM

MLP Tales was the second G1 series, though some people call it G2 even though it aired during G1 and had toys of tbe main 7 produced during G1.

Also, seconded. Rescue at Midnight Castle is definitely a must-see but I like Tales the best.

• Brohoof 2

On 8/8/2018 at 4:39 AM, Moon Glow said:

My Little Pony Tales!! Such a really cute show - I can't recall what gen it is lol uwu however, it's my favourite series next to FiM

Technically that's G1, but a lot of people label it G1.5 to keep it separated from the previous G1 cartoon, 'My Little Pony 'n Friends'. It's not an accurate label, because the various G's are supposed to be linked to the toy lines, not the cartoons, and the toys didn't change style at all during that time.

On 8/8/2018 at 5:16 AM, Denim&Venom said:

All the G3 specials, the movie A very minty Christmas, the core 7 reboot and the G3.5 movie Twinkle Wish Adventure. G3.5 actually wasn't that bad, considering it was only one film.

Yes, one film. Newborn cuties isn't G3.5. It needs to be counted as its own seperate class of atrocity. 

G3.x is such a confusing mess, labeling wise. G3, Core 7, G3.5, and Newborn Cuties. 

And *technically* there are four cartoons for G3.5. The film you mentioned (Twinkle Wish Adventure), an extra that was on that same DVD (Waiting for the Winter Wishes Festival), and two shorts that were packaged with big toysets on MiniDVDs (Sweetie Bell's Gumball Surprise and Pinkie Pie's Ferris Wheel Adventure). They all have the same animation style, so I think they all count as G3.5.

• Brohoof 2

• 3 months later...

I sugest gen 3 and start with A Very Minty Christmas. Despite all it's flaws, it dragged me into the brony fandom and then watch Promenade  ecause it shows some of the best and worst g 3 has to offer. Still have to go through and rewatch them myself for funzies.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

All of them!!!

G1 has great adventures with lots of magical characters and fantastical villains

MLP Tales (I consider it G2) is very relatable, taking place in a modern-ish setting and tackling issues that kids in real life often deal with

And finally, G3 is just the cutest thing ever, and all the characters are so innocent and lovable

Edited by digitea

• 1 month later...