Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

2019: The Final Year Of BronyCon

Denim&Venöm

Breaking news from the closing ceremonies. 

Next year's BronyCon will be the final one. After 8 years, the biggest of the pony conventions will be bidding farewell. 

And the convention intends not to go out with a whimper, but with a roar. 

Bronycon intends to make history one final time during August first through the fourth. Wait. First to the fourth? 

That's right. For the first time ever, the fandom will be getting its own four day con! 

So fillies and gentlecoltsn plan accordingly. Do what you can to attend the last hurrah of our greatest institution. 

Maybe MLPforums themselves can get in on the festivities? 

I know I will be there. And I hope you will be too. 

• Brohoof 1

I haven't gone to a convention and won't be able to go to this one either. But even then, this is very sad news. :( It just emphasizes how everything seems to be coming to an end soon...

• Brohoof 3

4 minutes ago, Tacodidra said:

I haven't gone to a convention and won't be able to go to this one either. But even then, this is very sad news. :( It just emphasizes how everything seems to be coming to an end soon...

Every thing come to end and  me too  

When the show ends and the conventions stop, there will always be a Brony community. It is so strange. I stand in the same room with the same people year after year and it feels like I never left. Those 3 days make the other 362 worth it. But I have come to realize that it's not about the ponies. It's about finding awesome people who just want to have fun and love. Those people will always be here.

• Brohoof 6

I was there at the closing ceremonies; you could tell something was up when the mascots did their things. Hoofbeatz and Blank Canvas both getting opportunities while leaving Mane Event in tears really set the stage, but when it was actually announced by the convention heads...it was soul-crushing; to say the least. I think it's fair to say that it took most people off guard, and I was fighting back tears. The convention was a special thing for me. Being around so many like-minded individuals with a common interest and making so many memories with many people I love...it hurts, but that's the reality of it. I'll be back next year; let's make sure to go out with a bang.

Now; why is it ending? There are two points that come to mind.

1. The show is apparently set to end net year; though I doubt this had much of any impact itself.

2. The convention's attendance numbers for this year were down again; 5465 compared to 6319 from last year, and over 10,000 from a few years ago. While attendance has gone down, the convention never really downsized, which makes sustainability difficult if not outright impossible. Those at the head of BronyCon never wanted to downsize, so they just decided to go out with a bang.

In the end it's economics in a niche fandom that's declining. Just nature; if you will.

• Brohoof 15

(edited)

Unfortunate all good things must come to an end. It’s impossible to expect this to last forever, especially with attendance dwindling. It’s not financially viable for them to rent out both convention buildings. Last year they had the mane 6 and CMC voice actors here but this year a small handful. I now regret not giving the show a chance years ago because I could have been attending all those years and making more friends. Maybe if Gen5 becomes as popular, they may bring it back. We can only wait and see. But if you are interested in attending next year, make sure to go for all four days to get the most out of the experience.

Edited by Twilight Luna
  • Brohoof 5

Yeah, when I heard the announcement during the closing ceremonies, it just floored me.  I mean next year BronyCon will be the same exact weekend as BrickFair (one of the biggest LEGO fan conventions on the East Coast that I also like to attend), but since it's going to be the last BronyCon ever, and BrickFair has been going on for over 10 years & still going strong, so I've decided that I'll be going to BronyCon instead.

Still, the news just made me so sad. :(

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

More of that "we want to leave at our prime and not fade" stuff. On the bright side, a new convention called HarmonyCon is coming in February, so if you live in Texas or can get to Texas, you're in luck!

Edited by Lucid_Nightlight
  • Brohoof 1

Shame. As someone who has always wanted to go to BronyCon, I hope I'll be in a viable financial position to be able to go there next year to see them off. Whatever happens, I understand that all good things come to an end...and I also find it weirdly amusing how this is not only happening right at the end of the 10s, but also the year before G5 is said to premiere. ^_^

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

Sad to see it go, but like they said themselves, all things do come to an end..........

I'm not really planning on going, I'm planning on going to TrotCon next year with my mom as my "High School graduation gift", but it's sad to see BronyCon, which was one of the largest Brony conventions ever, shut down. I hope to all that do go have an awesome time though :pinkie:

The end of BronyCon is a sign that the community has changed over the years, I wonder though what the community is gonna be like when Generation Five comes in :huh:

Edited by King of Canterlot
  • Brohoof 4

11 hours ago, CloudMistDragon said:

Shame. As someone who has always wanted to go to BronyCon, I hope I'll be in a viable financial position to be able to go there next year to see them off. Whatever happens, I understand that all good things come to an end...and I also find it weirdly amusing how this is not only happening right at the end of the 10s, but also the year before G5 is said to premiere. ^_^

Technically, it's the year FIM is supposed to end. G5 is supposed to have a feature film next year, and the show the year after

• Brohoof 1

I was shocked and soul-crushed when I read the news that BronyCon is coming to an end. It's really really sad to see one of the first big conventions outside of SDCC to shut down. Crazy just a few years ago that attendance was at 10,000 and now it's dwindling in rapid numbers. It feels like one of those things that defined a generation. But look at the history of this event: starting as a meetup here in a small building in New York City to a massive convention in Baltimore. As a New Yorker myself, I'm so proud of the work the staff has done over the years, and I wish them the best of luck in future endeavors. 

BronyCon won't exist in the 2020's; however, I imagine the story of this convention being shared down for generations to come because of how the internet (a major factor in it's historical success) continues to transform our world as a whole. 

• Brohoof 2

Well, it is a big bummer that 2019 will be the last one. I do understand them wanting to go out with a bang while the fandom is still very active, instead of a slow fade.

On the other hand, at least there is still one more year, which gives a chance for those who couldn't go this year to go next year and see the end of it. I am considering saving up enough money to go next year.

• Brohoof 2

Noooooooo. I was gonna go when I graduate high school but that would be 2020. I can just hope some miracle happens to allow me to go to this one. Maybe Gen 5 will being back some fire. I hope so. Gimme a minute to go cry this off. :(

• Brohoof 3

It's for me sad, because one of the dreams in the next few years was going to the BronyCon for my earned by myself real money, but no - why those precious things are running away, when I "shynessly" try to catch it? It bothers me a lot.

• Brohoof 2