Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Which Equestria Girls characters do you prefer over their pony counterparts?

Octavia Heartstrings

• 2 weeks later...

Really depends on the time, RD's much less obnoxious in EG, however pinkie was turned into an exposition fountain in the EG, RR, and LE movies, which didn't feel good, then the other shorts turned up and made things much better for her, fluttershy i like the same for both, not much changed imo, Rarity just felt dull and boring to me, AJ felt better, but not much, and personally i prefer Sci-Twi over Princess Twi, it just feels more realistic as a high schooler than a princess in a castle, and i can see how that'd be much more relatable for some people, Pony twi seems to be less... out there as a princess, and Sci-Twi revives memories very well!  

The one i felt was better, was actually not part of mane six, it was

Spoiler

The Great and Powerful Trixie! Trixie's personality here feels much more real and akin to pre-reformed trixie, who i like as an antagonist, forgotten friendship was a fantastic part of making me enjoy her equestria girl version aswell, it really brought up more of her character!

Since Sunset is an EqG most of the time, her pony form feels "wrong" to me - so i would say Sunset.

SciTwi is a distinct character - because her upbringing is so different from pony Twi. In general though, the EqG characters have had significantly less development than the pony ones, so have less depth.

I prefer Rainbow Dash in EQG because she is just a straight up show off and doesn’t hide her arrogance. Other people react to her more realisticly and it makes her that much more likeable when she tries to tone it down for other people. 

• Brohoof 1

On 9/30/2018 at 1:29 AM, twichlove said:

Really depends on the time, RD's much less obnoxious in EG, however pinkie was turned into an exposition fountain in the EG, RR, and LE movies, which didn't feel good, then the other shorts turned up and made things much better for her, fluttershy i like the same for both, not much changed imo, Rarity just felt dull and boring to me, AJ felt better, but not much, and personally i prefer Sci-Twi over Princess Twi, it just feels more realistic as a high schooler than a princess in a castle, and i can see how that'd be much more relatable for some people, Pony twi seems to be less... out there as a princess, and Sci-Twi revives memories very well! 

Hide contents

The Great and Powerful Trixie! Trixie's personality here feels much more real and akin to pre-reformed trixie, who i like as an antagonist, forgotten friendship was a fantastic part of making me enjoy her equestria girl version aswell, it really brought up more of her character!

Wow, wait, what? You found RD LESS obnoxious in EG? I found the opposite. She seems locked in the pony Season 1 personality. In Rainbow Rocks she pulls the plug on the video game she's playing with AJ when she's about to lose; kinda a throwback to the "Running of the Leaves" episode. And in half of that film she's treating her friends practically like dirt which is something I've NEVER seen the pony version go so extreme with before she realized how badly she was messing up. I've talked about this before too but as a waifu, I'm more emotionally connected to the pony version of RD because she seems more empathic to the feelings of others. Sometimes she goes overboard, but quickly realizes when she's hurt somepony and then will throttle it back and apologize. The E.G. version seems far less aware of the feelings of others ("Awesome as I Want To Be" is a trainwreck far beyond anything pony RD has ever done), and as a result I always felt like a relationship with that version of her would have a LOT more problems.

Trixie on the other hand, actually seems more balanced in E.G. Her ego is capable of withstanding more disappointment without feeling like she needs to resort to something like the Alicorn amulet in order to reassert herself.

Edited by bornAgainEquestrian

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 10:12 PM, BornAgainBrony said:

Trixie on the other hand, actually seems more balanced in E.G. Her ego is capable of withstanding more disappointment without feeling like she needs to resort to something like the Alicorn amulet in order to reassert herself.

I mean, not like Human Trixie COULD get herself ahold of something like that :P

As for the question, I dunno.  I mean I feel like each EG character does well in painting each of their pony equivalent well in a 'modern/human society' just Like I feel that the opposite is true too as each Pony represents their EG counterparts in a fantasy based Pony kingdom with Magic.  So I can't say I like any of their counterparts more than the other.

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, JCKane said:

I mean, not like Human Trixie COULD get herself ahold of something like that :P

As for the question, I dunno.  I mean I feel like each EG character does well in painting each of their pony equivalent well in a 'modern/human society' just Like I feel that the opposite is true too as each Pony represents their EG counterparts in a fantasy based Pony kingdom with Magic.  So I can't say I like any of their counterparts more than the other.

There are all sorts of other vile ideas that teens can come up with to cheat or tip the scales though. E.G. Trixie just doesn't seem like the type. She either just doesn't get mad nearly as easily or doesn't feel like she needs to prove anything (Battle of the Bands excluded, but then nearly the whole school was hypnotized).

3 minutes ago, BornAgainBrony said:

There are all sorts of other vile ideas that teens can come up with to cheat or tip the scales though. E.G. Trixie just doesn't seem like the type. She either just doesn't get mad nearly as easily or doesn't feel like she needs to prove anything (Battle of the Bands excluded, but then nearly the whole school was hypnotized).

admittedly my thing was a joke :P

But I mean you never know. It IS possible that perhaps Trixie did try something in the EG just 'off camera' (Meaning it just wasn't shown).  I mean, in FIM her start was the Poniville peoples were impressed by her magic, which she got upstaged and thus wanted revenge... THEN she tried to get her revenge, only to well fell.  Then, you have the next version of Trixie which is seen as a 'joke' in the pony world (in some cases) which things get better for her after she befriends Starlight.

So, in a way, this Trixie starts up AFTER she's seen as a 'fraud' so it skips over her 'over reaction to being upstaged' straight into the 'seen as a fraud' thing.

• Brohoof 2

On 7/30/2018 at 2:38 PM, Califorum said:

Rainbow Dash and Pinkie are alot less annoying from what I have seen, thankfully.

Which it's kinda ironic because you would think human would be more annoying  than ponies.

6 minutes ago, TBD said:

Which it's kinda ironic because you would think human would be more annoying  than ponies.

While I don't find Pinkie Pie to be annoying, I can possibly see why people think that.

after all, due to the fact that Pony Pinkie is in a more 'magical world' she's allowed to 'defiy the laws of physics' to a certain extent thus allow her to go 'over the top' more often.

Human Pinkie is ofcourse, bound by the rules of well, being a in a non-magical human world.  That doesn't mean she's not 'broken the laws of physics' from time to time but since it's more rooted in 'reality' (than MLP anyways.) they keep some things a bit more realistic.

• Brohoof 2

9 hours ago, JCKane said:

But I mean you never know. It IS possible that perhaps Trixie did try something in the EG just 'off camera' (Meaning it just wasn't shown).  I mean, in FIM her start was the Poniville peoples were impressed by her magic, which she got upstaged and thus wanted revenge... THEN she tried to get her revenge, only to well fell.  Then, you have the next version of Trixie which is seen as a 'joke' in the pony world (in some cases) which things get better for her after she befriends Starlight.

I guess. She kind of HAS been upstaged though. She apparently didn't lose much from not winning the band competition. It's also interesting that she didn't try to win the crown. Not enough room for screentime?

Though I obviously love Rarity no matter what form she takes, I do prefer her slightly in Equestria Girls, although I'm not really sure as to why this is. And actually, thinking about it a little, this probably extends to most of the characters in ST versus the characters in FiM.

Perhaps it's a result of less exposure to the EG versions, which leads to them grating on me less over time.

8 hours ago, BornAgainBrony said:

I guess. She kind of HAS been upstaged though. She apparently didn't lose much from not winning the band competition. It's also interesting that she didn't try to win the crown. Not enough room for screentime?

Well, it's possible that the reason she didn't go after the crown was because she feared Sunset like the rest... maybe in EG Trixie was actually upstaged by Sunset and thus didn't want any part in trying to win the crown.  I mean if I remember in that movie, the only thing she did do was order some snacks from a vending machine :P

Plus in Forget me not... didn't she also state something like "Once a villain always a villain" perhaps while she DOES recognize the change in Sunset she doesn't want to admit it since she had a bit of a grudge against her for said upstaging.

That or maybe it's the whole "Ursa Major" thing.  She can talk big but when the real threat is there, well she knows she can't do anything so she 'hides'... in this case She recognizes Sunset as being the 'threat' and thus tends to stay away from her, or tries not to gain TOO much attention (IE Hide) for fear of getting on Sunset's radar.

Side note... wonder when we'll see Discord in EG?  Now that would be an interesting counterpart :P:D

• 4 weeks later...

None of them. Ponies all the way.

Also, while we're on the subject, Sunset fills me with existential despair. She was a grown-ass mare and a wizard, and she gave that up to become a high school bully and a let's player. Running away from Equestria makes some kind of sense - she was pretty pathetic back then - but staying? Forgetting how to function like a pony after a couple of years? Disturbing.

In general, I think I prefer the EQG variants a bit more. More toned down, grounded and not as animated as their pony counterparts. Though that could be due to the fact that EQG tends to be more consistent in characterization than FiM media...I prefer the FiM versions of the CMC and Spike though

12 hours ago, Hardway Bet said:

Also, while we're on the subject, Sunset fills me with existential despair. She was a grown-ass mare and a wizard, and she gave that up to become a high school bully and a let's player. Running away from Equestria makes some kind of sense - she was pretty pathetic back then - but staying? Forgetting how to function like a pony after a couple of years? Disturbing.

The chronology of Sunset's life is really weird. In "The Fall of Sunset Shimmer", we see her as an adult mare when Twilight was just a filly, but when she entered the EQG universe, she became a teenager. Yet, in the first Equestria Girls special, we see pictures of her...as a human kid. I chose to stop trying to piece it all together a long time ago (and this is coming from a guy working on a timeline for this entire series).

4 minutes ago, Jordan D said:

In general, I think I prefer the EQG variants a bit more. More toned down, grounded and not as animated as their pony counterparts. Though that could be due to the fact that EQG tends to be more consistent in characterization than FiM media...I prefer the FiM versions of the CMC and Spike though

I think the human CMCs could very strongly benefit from having more spotlight time. It doesn't help that one of the CYOE shorts directly contradicted the acronym mentioned in "The Canterlot Movie Club". That actually bothered me a lot, because I thought that was a really clever angle to take, since the human world doesn't have cutie marks and Equestria doesn't seem to have big blockbuster movies. But the fact it was in a Boulder Media short means it's not in the official bible, so yeah, a clever idea completely put to waste.

12 hours ago, Hardway Bet said:

Sunset fills me with existential despair. She was a grown-ass mare and a wizard, and she gave that up to become a high school bully and a let's player. Running away from Equestria makes some kind of sense - she was pretty pathetic back then - but staying? Forgetting how to function like a pony after a couple of years? Disturbing.

I guess she just really loves human technology and how much more mundane it is compared to Equestria, as well as how friendly and intimate Canterlot High is. I agree there should be a future character arc where she becomes homesick, but being a wizard isn't all that special in a world where magic is commonplace.

• Brohoof 1