Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky
Message added by Jeric

Warning, there will likely be spoilers in the Episode discussion threads so venture in at your own peril. 

Road to Friendship  

91 users have voted

1. 1. Like or Dislike?

• Trixie: "Well, since you're SO concerned about space, YOU CAN HAVE IT ALL! I'll sleep under the stars, where at least the wild animals will be QUIETER THAN YOU!!" (I HATE IT! >__<)
    • Hoo'Far: *smoke bomb, coughs loudly* "That…was…the worst friendship chant I have ever heard!" (I dislike it!)
    • Starlight & Trixie: *backs away nervously as Twi and Cadance chant* (…meh…)
    • Starlight: "Thank goodness we're not like Twilight or the others. They'd probably sing a song about it." (I like it!)
    • Trixie: "I think it's made our friendship greater and more powerful than ever!" (I LOVE IT! <3)

Alright, I will definitely have to rewatch this, but first...

Spoiler

A sleep talker and a snorer in the town of Somnambula??  I won't even laugh, I'll just take my hat off and kneel before whoever set up this pun.

For a moment I thought we were gonna have a "the wagon is my last memory from *insert Trixie's closest relative*" story, I'm glad that wasn't the case.

And I'll have to add... BEST SEASON 8 EPISODE SO FAR!!!

• Brohoof 5

oh my, i just loved it, pure bliss from start to finish

Spoiler

I loved the fact that everything went wrong and they didn't have a flowery friendly trip, also Trixie talking in her sleep fits her so much imo. and her attatchment to her wagon warms my heart(and makes me all the sadder thinking of the one she lost in s1) i was hoping we'll get to see saddle arabia but a somnambula feature is good enough, i'll take it.(makes me wonder if somnambula moved there now that she's back) i really hope they'll have that chant perfected in a future episode
p.s. i also really loved the contrast between the two shows they made, and how the insults they throw at each other. i don't see what motive could the Saddle arabia guy have to trade the wagons though, unless he was that big a fan

all in all, it was a great episode and gets a solid 10/10 from me

• Brohoof 4

Done with Act 2!

Spoiler

Starlight and Trixie have such great chemistry that their fights are believable. And funny. :laugh: Their passive aggression with each other throughout the act was real good, especially Starlight's during the magic show. And I gotta echo @DonMaguz above. A sleep talker in Trixie and major snorer in SG in Somnambula's one genius combo of a pun.

Also, We're Friendship Bound's gonna be contender for best S8 song, eh? :P

Oh, and Starlight was an asshole here for trading Trixi's wagon without her knowledge.

Now…onto Act 3!

• Brohoof 3

"On The Road to Friendship" Episode Spoilers

Spoiler
  • The song "On the Road to Friendship" reminded me of "On the Open Road" from "A Goofy Movie".
  • Starlight snores!
  • Why would you give away Trixie's wagon, Starlight?! :wau:

• Brohoof 4

I think only one image can sum up my feelings on this episode and this pair:

CAM00318.thumb.jpg.917a0357795602b026d0b7fc8f7a7d2d.jpg

Except the rocket wasn't even in the episode! (I don't think that should really be counted as a spoiler as it helps to alleviate any anticipation one would have waiting for the scene).

The chemistry, the self awareness, the ups the downs this episode had it all for the two! And one more thing:

Spoiler

The scene of Starlight selling Trixie's wagon just compliments my belief that they want Starlight to work with her impulsiveness and not overcome it as a flaw but a character trait and it was used wonderfully. Starlight's never travelled so she doesn't know the do and don'ts yet and she wasn't around for the sentimental wagon talk with Hoo'Far so she wouldn't see it anything but a vehicle. Very thoughtful and yet not at the same time just like these tough decisions should be.

Josh Haber, you are still my favorite writer!

• Brohoof 5

*Watching On the Road to Friendship*

00:00 - 14:00

Spoiler

Awww, I haven't seen any plots yet. Heh, who care about the plot? I want those two f@#k each other in the end.:love: These two are born for each others, I ship it.:fiery: So cuteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee:wub:

15:00

Spoiler

WHAT ARE YOU DOING, STARLIGHT???????:glimmer: I WANT YOU GUYS F@#K WITH EACH OTHERS IN ROMANTIC WAYS, NOT LIKE THIS!:mustache: The plot starts to kick in to ruin my ship.:blush:

Why are you doing this, Starlight...…:blush:

*back to the episode and stop typing..*

• Brohoof 2

Anyone caught the reference of FIM supposedly ending with it’s ninth season :dash:?

1 hour ago, gingerninja666 said:

God... WHY IS FLURRY HEART SO CUTE!?

Me alwaish wecum sum diabeetus McFlurry :wub:

Edited by Steve Piranha
  • Brohoof 4

*Finished watching On the Road to Friendship*

So, this is The End in Friend on the road trip with more intense shipping material.:fiery: Two friends are not meant to travel together in far away land decide to do it anyway, then they realized it's a mistake, they screwed up so bad that their ship is nearly ruined. They went home with an old man in their box...:blush: I got no rocket but a song that hinted the end of series:scoots:. And I think this ep is too short, wish they could make it a movie like Goofy Movie.:(

THIS EPISODE IS GREAT

If the lack of plot bother you, you are missing the point of this ep. This ep is a pure slice of life episode to further develop these pair of friends. The chemistry is so great that speaks louder than any of your common friendship lesson of season 8, this is the most believable friendship of the entire series.B). No gimmick plots, no student shoehorned to your face (except that Abarian pony), no forced friendship lesson, just a pure friendship simulator.:mlp_smug: Starlight and Trixie have more characters in this ep more than any episode after their reformation since S6, especially Starlight. You can see their variety range of emotions from pure joyfulness to ugly miserable. :crackle:My complaint about this episode is lack of Trixie backstory, why the wagon is so important to her? It could go deeper into Trixie character :pinkie: but at a cost of Starlight likableness. Talk about Starlight likableness, she traded Trixie wagon WITHOUT asking her, without any consideration, that scene shocked me so hard. I know Starlight is impulsive and all but that's too much. Even when Trixie didn't want to sleep with Starlight, she decide to sleep OUTSIDE and let her friend sleep in the cozy wagon. I really want to slap Starlight in the butt right now.:glimmer:

Let me rant a little bit, just a little bit

Spoiler

YOU AND YOUR TEACHER CALLED YOURSELF A PRINCIPAL AND GUIDANCE COUNSELOR OF FRIENDSHIP? BACK TO SCHOOL AND LEARNING. YOU AND YOUR TEACHER.:glimmer:

…………..

This is not counted as a negative of the episode, mind you, I am just being too invested into this ep. This just show these characters are human afterall, they have flaws and this ep just portrayed it realistically. I just really want to kick Starlight butts... 

This ep is on par with The Heartwarming Club, it's amazing. I give it a 9.5/10. It could be higher if this episode had the rocket and Starlight kissed Trixie in the end.

This season so far has many good character chemistry, they should invent more creative plots like the past season but oh well...

• Brohoof 1

I swear to Celestia, one of the greatest joys this show has to offer is watching these two assholes try to get along. I was hype going in and it did not disappoint!

Spoiler

Also, I really like how it was GlimGlam who heck'd up this time. Like, up till now its mostly been Trixie messing stuff up and GlimGlam having to deal with it, but this time Glimmy's impulsive need to solve problems in the most direct way possible really bit her in the ass here, and it was great! Never change, you two!

• Brohoof 2

5 hours ago, Lord Valtasar said:

really? didn't catch that one

Yeah. It's during the song.

"In summer, winter, spring, and fall, we're friends throughout the year

For untold seasons yet to come, our friendship will be here

For nine, at least!"

• Brohoof 2

43 minutes ago, gingerninja666 said:

Yeah. It's during the song.

"In summer, winter, spring, and fall, we're friends throughout the year

For untold seasons yet to come, our friendship will be here

For nine, at least!"

considering they're friends for only 3 seasons so far it confirms we'll have at least 6 more if anything(quite optimistic i know, but it's in the song, the prophecy has been spoken)

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Done! :D

Trixie and Starlight's chant and dance were total cringe.

Looking for me to dish another negative? You ain't gonna find it here. :P

On the Road to Friendship's story's incredibly simple, its focus driven 100% by Starlight, Trixie, and their incredible chemistry. Just like Spike and Discord from Break Down, they only became friends two seasons ago, yet thanks to its clever writing, you'd think their friendship goes back to childhood. To think that until Season 6, Trixie only stood center stage for Boast Busters, Magic Duel, and Rainbow Rocks as a tertiary character. But Haber brought her into becoming a reoccurring character and has become a vehicle for storytelling around Starlight.

Their magnificent chemistry is thanks to Haber's incredibly tight dialogue, a continuous improvement of the show started by Shadow Play. With everything they say to and about each other, you buy into it, whether it's their praise, banter, jokes, passive-aggressive insults, and full-blown arguing. Their exchanges were snappy and completely believable; each moment and line flowed so well, even when the vocabulary repeats, with no hitch at all.

Thanks to their chemistry, Haber takes advantage of as many comedic opportunities as possible. Virtually all of them land. Some of my favorites include:

1. Starlight teleporting back to the school in a hurry, only to briefly return to say goodbye in between.
  2. Starlight throwing a little meta joke about how Twilight and friends would sing a song to commemorate their voyage, only for them both to start a song themselves.
  3. Blowing open the inflatable raft causes Starlight to get pinned to the window.
  4. During their descent into fighting, Starlight and Trixie share passive-aggressive barbs at each other during the Somnambula magic show.
  5. While sleeping in the caravan in Somnambula, Trixie talks and rehearses in her sleep, while Starlight snores noisily, each a callback to previous episodes. Kudos to Haber for using a combined pun of the village's name.
  6. The elder pony peaks out of the chest, sees nothing happening, and returns to sleep. Cue credits. :laugh:

But the best comedy comes during On the Road to Friendship. Aside from being the season's best song up to this point, it's incredibly upbeat with catchy lyrics and just-as-catchy beat. Like Apples to the Core four seasons ago, the jovial tone reverberates throughout each scene, which ranged in activity, danger, and atmosphere. I don't recall the last time Pinkie broke the fourth wall, but Trixie and Starlight shattered it throughout, especially this line(!):

Trixie: For untold seasons yet to come, our friendship will be here.

Starlight Glimmer: For nine, at least!

giphy.gif

But like the rest of the season, Haber progressively tests their friendship.

1. While Starlight's preoccupied at the school, Hoo'Far asks if he can trade his bigger caravan for her. She says no. Her smaller, cramped wagon comes into play twice, including as they relaxed the first time.
  2. Trixie closes the door, causing SG to accidentally drop a smoke bomb.
  3. Starlight wasting bits on street food over essentials.
  4. Trixie waiting a long time in line for a particular street vendor over shopping at another empty vendor that orders the same thing.
  5. After all the hotels are booked, they get really testy with each other. Despite apologizing with each other…
  6. …they get really cramped inside her wagon. Starlight can't move, so she moves the smoke bombs, squashing Trixie. They couldn't sleep in the same room! Trixie wrapped a bandana around her muzzle to stop her snoring.
  7. Next morning, thy passive-aggressively take the last of each others' food, the haycake by SG, the juice by Trixie. This passive aggression continued into the failed magic show.
  8. The water begins to boil that night when they traded sleep- and meal-related insults and accusations, culminating with Starlight ejecting Trixie's supplies and:

Trixie: Well, since you're so concerned about space, you can have it all! I'll sleep under the stars, where at least the wild animals will be QUIETER THAN YOU!

But the boiling foamed the next morning when Starlight traded away her wagon for his behind her back. You think that her impulsiveness woulda let her think twice about trading it away. Despite her decent alibi of traveling with a roomier wagon, Starlight has two major problems here:

1. Her timing. Neither of them got along, and they had a major fight the night before. Those feelings pass over here.
  2. Starlight traded it while Trixie slept. It doesn't matter if your intentions are good. This is her property, and she decides what to do with it, not SG.

It ain't no surprise why Trixie's so upset. Her anger was completely justified. Starlight comes off as a major plothole here. This is why she's primarily written to be in the wrong in Act 3 and acts as the episode's primary apologizer. This is a reversal of No Second Prances, but done way better. In the former, Trixie used Starlight, and she had to make it up to her. Here, Starlight screwed up badly and has to make it up.

Some are gonna be a little disappointed we see nothing of Saddl Arabia beyond just Hoo'Far (who, BTW, had really excellent and witty dialect), but like Chrysalis in The Man Six, those who do miss the point. This episode's about experiencing the ups and downs of friendship, having their friendship tested, overcoming it, and becoming closer.

All in all, it's an excellent episode — one of the best of not just the season, but the show, too. :D

Edited by Dark Qiviut
Removed review from spoiler tag.
  • Brohoof 4

Hold on a second, why does everyone say we didn't see any of Saddle Arabia? Doesn't this episode prove Somnambula IS a part of SA, or am I missing something? 

Edited by Buttaflight

Some people are dissapointed we didn’t get to see Saddle Arabia.

Honestly, just from the premise I didn’t get the feeling we’d actually SEE it. I was one of those who thought this might’ve been Trixie’s farewell from the show, but even then, I got the impression Saddle Arabia would be this nebulous far off place that Starlight would never actually reach. Like, the idea would be that they’d say their farewells, Trixie would go off into the sunset (with maybe a skyline in the distance), and Star would go back to Ponyville alone. Thus selling it as a journey they couldn’t make together.

I never really thought we were going to see the place.
Something like that.

Alright after a rewatch this episode definitely remains being my favorite in Season 8 so far.

First of all, cute princess McFlurry is cute. The ladybugs dance/chant is as cringey as always, and I can't help but to smile when Twi and Cadance do it (and laugh when Trixie and Starlight back away from the cringe).

The song is amazing, really catchy and with a great rhythm, I still prefer "Your Heart Is in Two Places" from Surf n'/or Turf, but it was definitely one enjoyable and fun song!

Starlight and Trixie work so well together that I don't know what to say that hasn't been said, their friendship is fueled by who they are and how they behave and not by the mere interest of wanting to be friends.

The way Starlight and Trixie started to get angry at each other in Somnambula was so relatable for anyone who has traveled with friends, and yes usually a good and refreshing night in a spacious place relieves accumulated stress. So sorry for their bad luck (and preparation) not finding a place in the town.

The night at the caravan, the morning after and the magic show in Somnambula were so funny with all the passive aggression going between them, one can really see the great chemistry even when they're pissed about one another!

I agree that Starlight's move was highly dickish, but in her defense... her other friends (the mane 6) are always willing to forgive anything when it's done with a good intention. Either way, Starlight should have just waited for Trixie to come back and tell her about Hoof'Ar's offer instead of giving away Trixie's wagon.

Did I mention that Flurry Heart was cute earlier in the episode? Well...

medium.jpeg

Trixie lying down in protest is hilariously cute, I couldn't help but to laugh and dawwww.

Starlight came back to apologize and Trixie doesn't even say "I forgive you", she just hugs her (still mad) talks about how they weren't prepared for all the hardtimes of the trip so Hoof'Ar believes them... He may not have believed them yet, but that was Trixie's way to show that the past was already forgiven. That's best friendship at its best.

I had a laugh at the spontaneous chant, it was so bad it was great! But then they just turn back! I really wasn't expecting Saddle Arabia to be shown, but I really thought they were going to end it with Starlight and Trixie resuming their journey. Oh well, it still finished with a heartwarming affirmation of their best friendship.

Overall, the episode was superb and even with a somewhat anticlimactic ending, what matters is the journey and all the funny stuff happening in, what I think is, the best Starlight and best Trixie episode in the series so far.

• Brohoof 4

I just want to thank Hasbro and everyone else involved in making this episode. Im always glad to see best pony Trixie and Glimmy get the spotlight but this episode just took it to another level :wub:

Getting to see inside Trixie's wagon, the amazing song and the actual believable bickering was top notch

5 hours ago, Dark Qiviut said:

Done! :D

Hide contents

Trixie and Starlight's chant and dance were total cringe.

Looking for me to dish another negative? You ain't gonna find it here. :P

On the Road to Friendship's story's incredibly simple, its focus driven 100% by Starlight, Trixie, and their incredible chemistry. Just like Spike and Discord from Break Down, they only became friends two seasons ago, yet thanks to its clever writing, you'd think their friendship goes back to childhood. To think that until Season 6, Trixie only stood center stage for Boast Busters, Magic Duel, and Rainbow Rocks as a tertiary character. But Haber brought her into becoming a reoccurring character and has become a vehicle for storytelling around Starlight.

Their magnificent chemistry is thanks to Haber's incredibly tight dialogue, a continuous improvement of the show started by Shadow Play. With everything they say to and about each other, you buy into it, whether it's their praise, banter, jokes, passive-aggressive insults, and full-blown arguing. Their exchanges were snappy and completely believable; each moment and line flowed so well, even when the vocabulary repeats, with no hitch at all.

Thanks to their chemistry, Haber takes advantage of as many comedic opportunities as possible. Virtually all of them land. Some of my favorites include:

1. Starlight teleporting back to the school in a hurry, only to briefly return to say goodbye in between.
  2. Starlight throwing a little meta joke about how Twilight and friends would sing a song to commemorate their voyage, only for them both to start a song themselves.
  3. Blowing open the inflatable raft causes Starlight to get pinned to the window.
  4. During their descent into fighting, Starlight and Trixie share passive-aggressive barbs at each other during the Somnambula magic show.
  5. While sleeping in the caravan in Somnambula, Trixie talks and rehearses in her sleep, while Starlight snores noisily, each a callback to previous episodes. Kudos to Haber for using a combined pun of the village's name.
  6. The elder pony peaks out of the chest, sees nothing happening, and returns to sleep. Cue credits. :laugh:

But the best comedy comes during On the Road to Friendship. Aside from being the season's best song up to this point, it's incredibly upbeat with catchy lyrics and just-as-catchy beat. Like Apples to the Core four seasons ago, the jovial tone reverberates throughout each scene, which ranged in activity, danger, and atmosphere. I don't recall the last time Pinkie broke the fourth wall, but Trixie and Starlight shattered it throughout, especially this line(!):

giphy.gif

But like the rest of the season, Haber progressively tests their friendship.

1. While Starlight's preoccupied at the school, Hoo'Far asks if he can trade his bigger caravan for her. She says no. Her smaller, cramped wagon comes into play twice, including as they relaxed the first time.
  2. Trixie closes the door, causing SG to accidentally drop a smoke bomb.
  3. Starlight wasting bits on street food over essentials.
  4. Trixie waiting a long time in line for a particular street vendor over shopping at another empty vendor that orders the same thing.
  5. After all the hotels are booked, they get really testy with each other. Despite apologizing with each other…
  6. …they get really cramped inside her wagon. Starlight can't move, so she moves the smoke bombs, squashing Trixie. They couldn't sleep in the same room! Trixie wrapped a bandana around her muzzle to stop her snoring.
  7. Next morning, thy passive-aggressively take the last of each others' food, the haycake by SG, the juice by Trixie. This passive aggression continued into the failed magic show.
  8. The water begins to boil that night when they traded sleep- and meal-related insults and accusations, culminating with Starlight ejecting Trixie's supplies and:

But the boiling foamed the next morning when Starlight traded away her wagon for his behind her back. You think that her impulsiveness woulda let her think twice about trading it away. Despite her decent alibi of traveling with a roomier wagon, Starlight has two major problems here:

1. Her timing. Neither of them got along, and they had a major fight the night before. Those feelings pass over here.
  2. Starlight traded it while Trixie slept. It doesn't matter if your intentions are good. This is her property, and she decides what to do with it, not SG.

It ain't no surprise why Trixie's so upset. Her anger was completely justified. Starlight comes off as a major plothole here. This is why she's primarily written to be in the wrong in Act 3 and acts as the episode's primary apologizer. This is a reversal of No Second Prances, but done way better. In the former, Trixie used Starlight, and she had to make it up to her. Here, Starlight screwed up badly and has to make it up.

Some are gonna be a little disappointed we see nothing of Saddl Arabia beyond just Hoo'Far (who, BTW, had really excellent and witty dialect), but like Chrysalis in The Man Six, those who do miss the point. This episode's about experiencing the ups and downs of friendship, having their friendship tested, overcoming it, and becoming closer.

All in all, it's an excellent episode — one of the best of not just the season, but the show, too. :D

Spoiler

I can be disappointed while still getting the point. I love the episode, I just wanted to see Saddle Arabia, I've wanted to see it since Magic Duel. And unlike Mean Six, where we are guaranteed to see Chrysalis again, we aren't guaranteed to ever see Saddle Arabia. 

Spoiler
4 hours ago, Buttaflight said:

Hold on a second, why does everyone say we didn't see any of Saddle Arabia? Doesn't this episode prove Somnambula IS a part of SA, or am I missing something? 

No, it doesn't. In fact, it proves the opposite, as Trixie had already been to Somnambula as she had a favorite stand there, while she hasn't been to Saddle Arabia. Hoo'Far also states that they aren't ready to tour Saddle Arabia, implying they never made it. Somnambula was just a stop on the way, and it was the first of many stops they had planned on their root. Just because it was the Saddle Arabian tour doesn't mean all the destinations would be in Saddle Arabia. It's also important to note that Somnambula has never been part of it, as it is part of Southern Equestria while Saddle Arabia is a different nation. 

• Brohoof 2