Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

G5: How can it be made better than FiM?

Denim&Venöm

A lot will be expected of G5 when it hits the air waves. So what can Hasbro do to ensure that G5 is recieved even better than G4? What mistakes from FIM can the writers and animators learn from?

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

personally i don't think they need to learn from its mistakes, but rather take the things that made G4 great and built upon those,i'm not talking about keeping the cast etc, i'm talking about the general feel and themes, but with a brand new story(maybe with the old one in the background somewhere as legends etc).
but to really answer your question, the one thing that comes to mind is how the fiest episodes were kinda rushed and some of the later kinda repetitive,so pacing, they have all the time in the world,and this time around they also have a big fanbase to start with,so there's not so much need to do everything they possibly can to grab new people's attention hurting the overal show in the proccess, i can't help thinking episode one could easily cover at least half of season 1 and be great while doing it

Edited by Lord Valtasar
  • Brohoof 7

1. For me it would be making the show for children with adult and dark humor thrown in it. Make new characters who will be introduced as the show goes on.
  2. Personally I would like to see them all as alicorns, to make all equal in power and so they aren't bound to their appearance. 
  3. I also would like to have a returning villain, a reforming villain and a couple of secondary villains, aside from the ultimate badies.
  4. At last, let them have a journey and a story bases plotline. Maybe some callbacks (Discord?!!) and a great background story which will help piece this together.

These are some points I would have made if I could decide what to go for.

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

Well, I did hear that people wanted them to fix the mlp fim flaws. I'm sure they will do a good job. Cause one thing i never understood was the timeline. hopefully they sort things out, but i believe they've got this. They may make a big hit. the concept art of the ponies still arent final. but the background art for locations they stay look pretty ballar. it's similiar to the My Little Pony:The Movie background art. 

Spoiler

tumblr_p173cnhiQv1rvlxxwo5_1280.thumb.jpg.bab1cb1a06521e22ca05a4b5dde29203.jpg

good or not, the truth shall be revealed in 2020...

1 minute ago, Fuchsia Flame said:

Well, I did hear that people wanted them to fix the mlp fim flaws. I'm sure they will do a good job. Cause one thing i never understood was the timeline. hopefully they sort things out, but i believe they've got this. They may make a big hit. the concept art of the ponies still arent final. but the background art for locations they stay look pretty ballar. it's similiar to the My Little Pony:The Movie background art. 

Reveal hidden contents

tumblr_p173cnhiQv1rvlxxwo5_1280.thumb.jpg.bab1cb1a06521e22ca05a4b5dde29203.jpg

good or not, the truth shall be revealed in 2020...

"It's time now, for a new change to come." 
-Princess celestia

Edited by Fuchsia Flame
  • Brohoof 1

I would like to see some planned consistency in lore and world building. While FiM is pretty good at times with continuity, there are times some of the deeper explanations and have been forgotten or even contradict each other.t

• Brohoof 8

1 hour ago, Chrysalis14 said:

I would like to see something different from what we saw from FiM while having some elements from the previous gen, have a new cast or new main characters for G5.

From what I've seen of the "leaks", there isn't going to be a new cast but the same cast of characters with different designs. Which I think is a bit stupid in my opinion. A new cast of characters would be nice. But here is my thing with how everyone is talking about G5. I don't believe the leaks nor do I believe the show is ending in 2019. I have not seen an official information on either of these to confirm the fact that this is will be happening. How do we even know we will be getting a G5? How do we know if season 9 will be the last season? We don't since it hasn't been confirmed as far as I know. You can kick me in the shin and say I'm wrong if you show me some confirmation. That I guess is just my biggest gripe with people talking about Generation 5.

Note:  The first part of my post was towards you, the other part was for everyone

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Jeric said:

I would like to see some planned consistency in lore and world building. While FiM is pretty good at times with continuity, there are times some of the deeper explanations and have been forgotten or even contradict each other.t

Unfortunately, a lot of MLP lore tends to fall apart when writers forget or on some cases, don't care. While major elements of the universe tend to stay consistent, a lot of smaller, neat bits of lore tend to get retconned constantly. A notable example is how a handful of merchandise for the movie (The prequel graphic novel, game book and art book) all contradict each other and the film itself pretty nastily. The novel said that Hippogriff's came from a massive continent next to Abyssinia, while in the "canon" lore, Hippogriffs come from Aris and Abyssinia is now just a kingdom, not an entire continent and the continent it's located on is the (uncreatively) named "Mysterious South".

That said, I do love the expanded histories we get sometimes. I think my favorite part is how a character in the film who never had a line got a huge backstory in The Official Movie Sourcebook. I know it's unrealistic and extremely limiting to have 100% consistent lore across over four different storytelling platforms but I would love to see more communication between writers in Gen 5 so we don't have a mess of retcons and plotholes like in Gen 4. Or maybe an explanation where every series is like, an alternate timeline or something. 

Honestly I just want G5 to be its own thing. Being compared to G4 is inevitable but I hope the series is able to carve its own identity.

• Brohoof 4

43 minutes ago, TheTaZe said:

But here is my thing with how everyone is talking about G5. I don't believe the leaks nor do I believe the show is ending in 2019. I have not seen an official information on either of these to confirm the fact that this is will be happening. How do we even know we will be getting a G5? How do we know if season 9 will be the last season? We don't since it hasn't been confirmed as far as I know. You can kick me in the shin and say I'm wrong if you show me some confirmation. That I guess is just my biggest gripe with people talking about Generation 5.

A lot of the talk is coming from leaks brought forth from a server hack. The hack was done prior to airing of Season 8 and several other IP verticals like books, merch, and Equestria Girls. As we have progressed in time, everything in the various emails has been shown to be accurate, increasing the legitimacy that the emails that focused on Gen 5 discussion were accurate, at least with respect to its early development and their concepts at the time. This is where we get into a curious situation. Development on a season and new show has to begin early enough. At this point they would have had to comment the future of G4 or G5 for 2020, so we will see in time, but some of these early concepts are just that. Similar to Trixie originally being a stallion, and Pinkie being a white Surprise inspired Pegasus, things will undoubtedly change. 

Do I believe that the emails were accurate and legitimate? Yes. While anyone can fabricate an email address, there are very unique markers within internal corporate and partner communications and how companies interact interact. I have worked for large corporations place at fairly accessible levels and positions to be included on emails to and from Directors and C-Level executives (you can detect some of this influence in my posts here). What I read in these emails is so familiar in framing and word selection that it sent waves of nostalgia over me from my corporate era when we had interactions with vendors and partners. Take that with a grain of salt, but thus far, nothing in the leaked emails has been wrong, so discussion on G5 seems to be a based around increasing legitimate sourced speculation. 

• Brohoof 4

2 minutes ago, Jeric said:

A lot of the talk is coming from leaks brought forth from a server hack. The hack was done prior to airing of Season 8 and several other IP verticals like books, merch, and Equestria Girls. As we have progressed in time, everything in the various emails has been shown to be accurate, increasing the legitimacy that the emails that focused on Gen 5 discussion were accurate, at least with respect to its early development and their concepts at the time. This is where we get into a curious situation. Development on a season and new show has to begin early enough. At this point they would have had to comment the future of G4 or G5 for 2020, so we will see in time, but some of these early concepts are just that. Similar to Trixie originally being a stallion, and Pinkie being a white Surprise inspired Pegasus, things will undoubtedly change. 

Do I believe that the emails were accurate and legitimate? Yes. Why anyone can fabricate an email address, there are very unique markers within internal communications and how companies interact. I have worked for large corporations at a faily accessible level to be included on emails to and from Directors and C-Level executives. What I read in these emails is so familiar in framing and word selection that it sent waves of nostalgia over me from my corporate era when we had interactions with vendors and partners. Take that with a grain of salt, but thus far, nothing in the leaked emails has been wrong, so discussion on G5 seems to be a based around increasing legitimate sourced speculation. 

Thanks Jeric, this is the clarification I was looking for. I've only known bits and piece of what was leaked and didn't look into it further for myself. Since I only knew bits and pieces and didn't look into the emails myself I was super skeptical on what was going on and if this was at all accurate.

• Brohoof 1

-Lore: do I need to say more?

-Main characters: should be interesting and unique. You follow their stories not cause the writers force you to but cause you want to.

-Friendship: is great but it should not be a type of magic or power. The way they are treating friendship in FIM actually makes it less amazing and more artificial.

-Villains: are main and side characters too. And no, they are not broken. Meghan just has a shit life philosophy.

-Diversity: Get woke, go broke. It's become a law of nature at this point.

-Style: should be improved as far as non-pones are concerned. Many of them look awful. If you're gonna market a whole world make sure you can sell more than ponies. This ain't Borderlands. Nobody's gonna buy an ugly snake elephant midget on walking sticks.

• Brohoof 2

It can be made better by doing what any good sequel or follow-up will do, look at what its predecessor did right and touch up on the small things it missed. A better plan for the series' lore, more fleshed out story arcs for the villains so that their motives feel more natural and their redemption feels less hurried, and greater emphasis on overarching plots within seasons, with more episodes focusing on that season's plot rather than just a few like we normally get, are the first few ideas for improvements that come to mind.

(edited)
On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 6:23 AM, Denim&Venom said:

A lot will be expected of G5 when it hits the air waves. So what can Hasbro do to ensure that G5 is recieved even better than G4? What mistakes from FIM can the writers and animators learn from?

MLP writers needs to be consistent. Too many guest writers have been on MLP FiM, leading to numerous consistency errors. Just keep it simple, because having too many random people suddenly come into the studio and write a story with little knowledge of previous seasons is an accident waiting to happen. Too many guest writers, too many potential errors.

In the end, I really don't see how g5 could be made better than g4 because g4 is the best I've seen in my opinion. How can the best get better? By not trying to be the best, that's how. The moment g5 tries to be the best is the moment g5 becomes the worst. g5 needs to do its best, not try to be the best. Fortnite BR didn't try to gain millions of players over a few months or become one of the most played games ever, it happened because Epic Games tried their best to make a great game. (Edit) It is famous now because they are currently trying their best to take care of their game, adding to it, and listening to their community.

Edited by EpicEnergy
Opinion Changed

So long as Hasbro give generation five the same devotion and respect that was given to generation four, there's not really much they need to improve on. Well... If there was one thing that they could improve on, it would be having more adventure styled stories.

I'm remaining skeptical for now. While the season 8 leaks turned out to be true, any persistent troll with the knowledge to get these leaks could easily use the true ones to make the fake information to sound more credible. Could I be wrong? Yes, but Hasbro has not officially announced anything related to G5 quite yet.

I'm not saying for sure that it's fake, I'm just saying that we cannot just come to conclusions based on leaks alone.

This could be one of three things:

1. A marketing scheme. (Unlikely, but possible)

2. We're being trolled. (4Chan pulls this crap all the time)

3. This is real. (Could be true, it seems like a ridiculous stunt for a business to pull)

All three of these things are possible.

Well, if they manage to keep that magical/charming feel that G4 has, then they're already stepping in the right direction.

Considering how it will be engrossed in more high fantasy, since we know there will be multiple worlds, the next step would be to avoid the pitfalls most other high fantasy series fall into.

Outside of that, there's not much else I can really add that hasn't already been said.

Give all of the members of the main cast noticeable character development, instead of having characters like Applejack who really haven't grown or changed like at all since season 1.

I would like to see no mane 6 from G4, completely new cast and storyline. Focus on said main characters for a while, then focus on other characters. Have better villain development, have a 'main' villain who doesn't get reformed with henchmen, and then have a few reformed villains. I want to see better writing and plot than cannon fodder or filler. And, better world building and consistency. 

Edited by Califorum
  • Brohoof 1

On 7/31/2018 at 11:00 AM, Jeric said:

I kind of hope the leaks were actually intentional... as a testing ground to see how it was received. The "Let's do this same thing, but this time let's make X a Y"... is just so... half-flanked. I think about something I've heard from beekeeping which says that if you take a hive and move it far from its original location, the bees will locate it and continue along like nothing changed. If you move the hive just slightly, the bees will become disoriented and ultimately die.

It's just lazy thinking to "re-do" everything. It will make a mess of the fandom, something that isn't needed. We'll be seeing hashtags of "NotMy(insert character here)" and G4 and G5 fans potentially at each other's throats, like what has happened with Star Trek or Star Wars. There's SO much more that could be done without trampling over what has already been done. It'll be tragic if they just "erase" G4 and remake it with subtle changes.

• 2 weeks later...

Well first it's making good characters in a good picture scene there needs to be a good story to go with it and something different from G4  G4 was about friendship maybe G5 could be more of a romantic direction to the story were this time its about romance and not friendship and have more complex situations in the story line possibilities are endless but we want the good possibilities not the cheap and uncreative and unintersting Possibilities  

But Generation 5 of My Little Pony is gonna be more mystical and majestic the way it was before of Generation 4 but simplistic of the art style of Generation 4 My Little Pony or My Little Pony Friendship is Magic, is gonna be forgotten, in my thought. But the Generation 5 of My Little Pony Art style of it, it's really add a lot of details of the characters and the background of the location of the Generation 5 the story of that Franchise is still unknown for us cause it's release of Season 1 is in 2020 or 2021 in my thought so... Don't judge me!

Aside from the lore...if the designs are true to the leak, at least the figurines won't look cheap and it'll have a better quality as G1,G2, and G3.

• 4 weeks later...

I think all it needs to do is stay focused on what it wants to be. If it wants to be a simple comedic slice of life, then it shouldn't try to force in world building and lore. If it wants to be a serialized adventure, then it shouldn't have episodes only made for wacky comedy that don't progress anything

I think that's one of the biggest issues FiM is going through right now. It wants some kind of storyline and expansive world, that's not how it started. Seasons 1-3 really feel like a completely different show compared to the newer seasons.

• Brohoof 2