Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

G5: How can it be made better than FiM?

Denim&Venöm

• 11 months later...

It’s kinda hard to think G5 will be better than G4 because G4 was pure lightning in a bottle . I would like it to be very similar to G4 at least in the animation and character designs such as the way the bodies were drawn 

Unlike FIM where it's black and white, G5 goes more shades of grey for everyone. Characters get more leeway to swing between being nice and naughty. The Mane 6 doesn't always have to be the paragons of their element or have to answer the beckon call of Twilight's new cause for example.

Edited by Singe
  • Brohoof 2

They need to ditch the stereotypes and give us complex unique characters from the start. Now they know they have an older more mature audience also watching, they can really go out there and try new things while still keeping the charm of the original series.

• Brohoof 1

On 7/31/2018 at 3:23 AM, Denim&Venom said:

A lot will be expected of G5 when it hits the air waves. So what can Hasbro do to ensure that G5 is recieved even better than G4? What mistakes from FIM can the writers and animators learn from?

A better balance of episodes focused on background characters.

For example, I love the Mane 6 but sometimes I would like to know how Lyra & Bon Bon are doing.

• Brohoof 1

After i am watch Ducktales reboot, i can see how Disney is succeed in Ductales Reboot that in not made Ductales's fans disappointed because according to some of Ducktales's fans, This reboot is good just like before and according to some people again, This reboot is better than before so this Ducktales can be example for MLP reboot in 2020. Hasbro can learn from this and take example from that cartoon, they can do that just like what Disney did to they cartoon like The Lion Guard,Big Hero,etc.

For me it would be good if they made episodes less pridictable, FIM for me was too pridictable to hold any kind of tension specifically in season finales and the beginning of seasons. Secondly have storylines that last longer then 1-2 episodes.

• Brohoof 2

Give the writers freedom to tell a story and let that inform the toys rather than visa versa. It was a much bigger issue early on than later in the show, but that problem earlier on set a lot of the trajectory later. 

• Brohoof 1

I just wish they would start fresh with some new leads, not alter the existing ones. It just feels so... intrusive. But if I decide to watch it, I’ll go into it with the mindset of “Alternate Universe”.

• Brohoof 1

Like others have already said, making a show which bases itself on a true scenario - ie a story with story arcs, a beginning, an end, etc. MLP:FIM's formula is slice-of-lie which is a respectable formula itself, but for nine seasons? It just becomes too much. 

Also, how about making actually good villains ? All the ones we had in MLP:FIM are either victims who turned bad who turned good again, or 100% evil fuel (for the latter, there is a good way to do it , but then again they didn't do it the right way). I hated the way some characters are reformed - because quite a number do not deserve it at all. (looking at you Stygian)

Plus, the main characters are too perfect in FIM; sure most episodes will focus on some defaults that will launch the episode, but the matter is usually solved in the end of the episode.

But I hear ya; "Hey! Sometimes it isn't!" and you are right; sometimes, it isn't. Because that's what's called badly exploiting your characters. In real life, people do keep some of their defaults forever, that's true; but this is a show with "lessons" and "morals" at the end. And that means that some characters in FIM seem to learn the same lesson seasons apart. I.e I don't mind some characters keeping their defaults, but don't make another episode where they seemingly solve it again- because I won't believe it.

I hope they make Gen 5 more focused on adventure, lower the  messages about friendship and stuff. And characters make difficult decisions that have actual important consequences.

And also: don't make all the world building and lore if you're going to misuse it or not use it at all. thanks

Edited by Xeltor
  • Brohoof 2