Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do private threads show in the "Recently Posted" area?

cuteycindyhoney

I've noticed this recently. In the "Recently Posted" area, it tells me when a private thread is posted. Why? That's none of my business. It shouldn't be notifying me about it publicly. Should it? Should I be able to go in private threads?

private.jpg

• Brohoof 1

Doesn't that just mean those users are the only ones supposed to post in the thread – not that others shouldn't see it? If it was the latter, I'm sure they'd do it by direct message instead... :)

• Brohoof 4

Those are 'Private RPs' which... you know now that I think on it, is probably a bad name for them. I've always thought of them as 'Closed RPs' instead, where whoever is in them is not looking for any additional players to join.

• Brohoof 3

Curious if a 'closed' tag would be better. 

But yeah @cuteycindyhoney they aren't meant to be private as in invisible to all but the participants. In fact, I can't make topics hidden at the thread level for specific users. Permissions like that aren't as granular as I would like. 

There are two applications that allow that level of privacy, the Clubs system and PM's. 

• Brohoof 1

I think 'closed' would work better too.

Either way, think of these as writing a fanfiction in a team; you are not supposed to join, but are free to lurk and read. If these would be meant to be private, they most likely would be direct messaging, rather than posting in the forums. :twi:

14 hours ago, Jeric said:

But yeah @cuteycindyhoney they aren't meant to be private as in invisible to all but the participants. In fact, I can't make topics hidden at the thread level for specific users. Permissions like that aren't as granular as I would like. 

There are two applications that allow that level of privacy, the Clubs system and PM's. 

Oh, okay. For some reason I thought I was accessing something I shouldn't be. Thanks for clearing it up!

• Brohoof 1

On 8/1/2018 at 5:16 AM, Jeric said:

Thinking on this further, 'closed' might imply the RP is defunct as well, so I'm not sure. I have vague memories of this coming up in the RP staff group when I was a Lore Writer (not even a Sectional) during some PonyRoleplay site design sessions, and it never really reaching a conclusion as such.

8 hours ago, Fhaolan said:

Thinking on this further, 'closed' might imply the RP is defunct as well, so I'm not sure. I have vague memories of this coming up in the RP staff group when I was a Lore Writer (not even a Sectional) during some PonyRoleplay site design sessions, and it never really reaching a conclusion as such.

Something to ruminate about.

• The topic was locked