Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What are your "tools of trade"?

CandyCorn

I wasn't sure where to put this... so  just threw it in here. It's directed mostly at artists and writers. XD Mods: Feel free to move it to where you think it fits!

Anyway, what tools do you use the most when doing art or writing (or both)?

For writing, I use an iPad and a stylus. Most of it is because it's easier to write when I'm not at home. Another reason is because my computer is very old (7+ years), so I can't really use it for that sort of thing. I'm also not really used to using it either. >< As for art, I often have a sketchbook, colored pencils, a tracing pen and my 1.3 mm mechanical pencils (yes! they do exist!).

• Brohoof 1

For my signatures and the vectors I have made, all of them have been done in Photoshop CS5 on my laptop. That's pretty much it. It is a powerful program with so many tools, I just wish my skill was up to that level.

I use Paint on my Windows laptop (although I have been thinking about really trying Inkscape). For traditional drawings, I use a mechanical pencil or regular pencil along with regular markers and Ultra Fine Sharpie Markers. 

Edited by TransitPony

I wrote a 10,000+ word story on my OC's backstory ages ago. The story was garbage, and was ultimately recycled to give me this more interesting story. Anyways I believe I used Microsoft Word to write it out, and my sister was my editor... now a days I don't write anymore.

As for art, I don't consider myself an artist, but I have more potential there than in writing. I much prefer altering and editing photos for comedic purposes (which I'm pretty good at), but I can also draw "fairly decently" I'm not a Picasso like most people here. Anyways for art I had, and still use Paint.net, its reliable, not overwhelming, and best of all its free... perfect for someone like me. If there is ever a tool I need that the base Paint.net doesn't have I can always install plugins for it, and usually get some other nifty toys to play with too.

i use my computer both for my writing and for my drawings(its about 10 years old but i made some upgrades and it holds well enough) i also use this 
item_XL_4568916_1115501.jpg
and from time to time i use markers or other traditional art media just for the fun of it

Edited by Lord Valtasar

When I write my fanfiction, I use Notepad before transferring it over to what FimFiction uses where I make it more presentable.

GIMP 2 and a mouse. :laugh: They've worked quite well so far, which is why I haven't invested in pricier products.

When I'm creating art I use traditional methods. For B&W drawing I start with ordinary #2 pencils and finish off with Wolf's Carbon Pencils. For color drawings I use Prismacolor pencils mostly. And I prefer Strathmore 70lb sketch paper. When I paint I use oil paints in a variety of different brands (usually whatever's cheapest) along with Bob Ross Paint Medium and Liquiglaze gel. For sculpture I use Sculpey exclusively. When I want to do some creative writing I pound away at the keys of my clunky old Asus laptop in Microsoft Office Word. That's about as close as I get to anything high-tech. 

• 3 weeks later...

I use Word to type my fanfics in one huge wall of text. Then I copy it to a separate document for initial editing, and then I do the final edits on the sites I'm posting it on, adding the rulers and properly placing the author's notes and so on. My keyboard's a Razer Blackwidow 2013.

Writer of Poetry..I written over 50 Poems and Counting...

I written an Exclusive Poem called ''A Poppy To Remember'' in honor of our war Vets whom sacrifice Their lives and souls   so we will live in Peace and be free..

Already forward the Poem to a member of Paralment. to read out on November 11 Honoring our War Vets. I plan to Email the poem to Donald J Trump President of United States of America as well to read out on November 11. Honoring those who gave everything to our countries.. Canada and  USA War Vets of the Past Present and the Future.

I was choked up as i written every word, i still tear up every time i read it out to others. A beautiful, very moving poem that will move an entire Nation to Tears, they will cry for generations and throughout future years.

other Skills Writing... 12 Books in the Works. "'The Story of Crystal Frost and The Kingdom of Long Heart Stone and Beyond.'' This is my first time ever going into being a Writer of Novels.. However so far I love how the stories are growing so well. rich strong and Beautiful.  yes i made my move to copyright protect my creations.. 

Another Skill Illustration and doodles.. I love bringing my Stories to life through art... my Process. I have over 65 creative Charecters Designed already and Counting.. 

5a9ef365cf067_ArtistLaurieDoodles.thumb.png.4e330c6a72c66034a2b3ab53a349107c.png

On my creative Journey I discovered a New Talent Song Re Writer.. I can write new lyrics to existing songs..

Example "'Getting Stronger.''    my New Lyrics that match the same music flow title is.'' Knight Wing Revenge Song.''

I also love to Dance and play Piano, Learn to play Violin, and Play the Giutar..

in other words Im Into Everything...

when my books become a Smash Hit. I plan to Make my move to the Entertainment industry, to bring my creation to life on the Big Screen and around the World..

My Creation will compete with hasbro's 

My little Pony  VS  The Land's of the Clyony

Yes i believe in my creation... and will continue as plan to bring my creation to life..

My content ....

Surface Pro

Ipad Air 2

Yeti Mike

my software...Serif Affinity Design

5aa32de7c2ae5_Screenshot(58).thumb.png.0b53a140aaae335b34d7e6ca861d67bc.png

On the Ipad software Sketch Club...

IMG_6890.thumb.PNG.34de5eafe408b260fcaccc49b40f12e9.PNG

Here is the Progress Update of Skyler Plush Made By Lion Cub Creations... She is Very Gifted and Talented..

900129914_LionCubCreationsSkylerHead.thumb.jpg.37cc1aa6e58ecaa51d7e2057105ad78e.jpg

icm_fullxfull.172788809_4uq1trrdsveogkgwkg48.thumb.jpg.71c864b3d00b01164d73cfb4e5016a23.jpg

She will be plusing Crystal Frost and the new creative update Design of Crystal Flowers Mother (Blossom Flower Rose)  A Clyony ..

Edited by RaphLuna

• Word Doc: typing.
  • Powerpoint: presentation
  • Traditional art: Paint(severals  kinds), markers, oil pastel.
  • Digital: GIMP. 

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Well since I am a YouTuber, That would be my laptop and my camera,

And since I am also a bit of an artist, I would also say my phone or tablet (I use an app called Sony Sketch, it works good (too good for it too look like I did it on my phone or Tablet)

I am a little bit of a writer, so my laptop would be my tool of that trade

5 minutes ago, Lucky Bolt said:

I don't write, but I AM an artist somewhat. Believe it or not I use an old beat up magnetic drawing pad toy...

Cool, what does it look like?

I used to do most of my writing on Google Docs, but it didn't copy properly to fim fiction when I started writing there, so now I just use their basic writing program. It's not great, but it gets the job done.

I'm not an artist anymore, but I like to color line art I find on occasion. I just use GIMP for that since it's what I'm used to and it's free.

Just now, Sherbert MGS said:

Cool that's held up for so long, they only usually last 2 years tops!
But what do you use for your digital art?

This app called “Painttastic” and because I can’t get it on my iPhone I have to use my old Samsung Galaxy s3 for digital art purposes. :laugh: