Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My MLP Conspiracy Theories #2: Was the "Mare in the Moon" story told in reverse?

Nightfall Veilwing

You remember the Mare in the Moon story we're told at the very start of the show? Well, I have a theory that will expose it as a lie...

What were we told from the story? Celestia and Luna were 2 sisters that raised and lowered the Sun and Moon, but Luna became jealous because she wasn't getting any attention and decided to not lower the Moon one night. After that, she became Nightmare Moon, and Celestia reluctantly used the Elements of Harmony to banish Nightmare Moon on the Moon for 1000 years, and the show starts one the 1000th year.

I don't think this is actually true. No, I believe Celestia told everypony this story...in reverse. :dash:

If you pay attention to Celestia's behavior and mentality while interacting with Luna throughout the series, she seems to have a know-it-all and "I come first" attitude. It implies that Celestia pushes Luna aside while she gets the spotlight. If you take this and apply it with my theory that Celestia is using the concept of friendship to brainwash and indoctrinate everypony to expand her kingdom, then you can see that Celestia is pretty arrogant, manipulative, and controlling.
So, when you look at the Mare in the Moon story from Luna's point of view, all she wanted was some of the attention and some credit, but the ponies did their thing during the day while sleeping during the night. It's clear that Luna felt left out and unappreciated. Remember when the story said that Luna wanted the night to last forever and turned evil when she refused to listen to Celestia? The story is making Luna look like a spoiled brat for not getting her way. Doesn't it seem like the story is trying to make Luna look like the bad guy while glorifying Celetsia at the same time? I think Celestia herself wrote the Mare in the Moon story, and she did it in a way that will make her look good and Luna bad. This gives off the impression to the story's readers that Celestia is the superior princess and the one you need to trust, and this, in turn, will make everypony discredit and disregard Luna.

I could leave this here, but I think there's more to this. What if the Luna we've seen isn't the real Luna? What if...the original Luna was murdered by Celestia?
"Oh, buck off, there's no way that Celestia would do something like this!
:glimmer:" you Celestia fans out there, but just hear me out, here.

When Luna refused to lower the Moon, the story claimed she was being a brat, but she was trying to stand up for herself from Celestia's mental abuse towards her. After Luna transformed herself into Nightmare Moon, Celestia realized that she wasn't gonna stay submissive and obedient to her authority anymore, so she decided to murder Luna to make sure her authority and rule wouldn't be challenged or overthrown. After the murder, Celestia told everypony that Luna went rogue, but this was a story she used to gain the trust and support from her subjects. So, Celestia basically covered up Luna's murder in order to protect her reputation and to keep her power. Celestia knew that somepony could eventually figure out the conspiracy, so she decided to make a clone of Luna as a fail-safe so she wouldn't be found out. When the events of the first 2 episodes took place, it was time for Celestia to fake Nightmare Moon's return. Remember when Celestia seem to disappear and Nightmare Moon appeared? I believe that the Nightmare Moon we see in those first 2 episodes was really Celestia in disguise. This explains why Celestia was missing without any trace or explanation. When Nightmare Moon was defeated, Celestia put the Luna clone in her place, and she reappeared, making it look like she was released from where Nightmare Moon supposedly banished her to. The idea that Nightmare Moon was Celestia in disguise makes sense because, after Nightmare Moon was defeated, she appeared out of nowhere. Again, we're giving NO explanation for how Celestia supposedly disappeared by Nightmare Moon and where she was. It makes all of this seem to be a set up. And did you ever notice how easily Nightmare Moon was defeated? I mean, she didn't even put up a fight. And all the damage she made was easily reversible.

Now, where does the "told on reverse" bit come in?
Celestia didn't want competition from her sister when it came to ruling Equestria. Luna was the one who was trying to reason with Celestia about sharing the rule 50-50, but Celestia wasn't about to give any of it up. This is what the "Luna refused to lower the Moon to make room for the day" bit was really; it was a metaphor of one not sharing the power with the co-ruler and keeping it to themselves. The Mare in the Moon story shifted this aspect onto Luna, to make her look like the corrupted one.

The Luna clone (the Luna we see in the show) was given the false memory that was the Mare in the Moon story by Celestia to make sure that the lie wouldn't be exposed, and her agenda would continue to be fulfilled without interruption...

What do you think of this theory? :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 3

4 minutes ago, Millennium Shadow said:

You remember the Mare in the Moon story we're told at the very start of the show? Well, I have a theory that will expose it as a lie...

What were we told from the story? Celestia and Luna were 2 sisters that raised and lowered the Sun and Moon, but Luna became jealous because she wasn't getting any attention and decided to not lower the Moon one night. After that, she became Nightmare Moon, and Celestia reluctantly used the Elements of Harmony to banish Nightmare Moon on the Moon for 1000 years, and the show starts one the 1000th year.

I don't think this is actually true. No, I believe Celestia told everypony this story...in reverse. :dash:

If you pay attention to Celestia's behavior and mentality while interacting with Luna throughout the series, she seems to have a know-it-all and "I come first" attitude. It implies that Celestia pushes Luna aside while she gets the spotlight. If you take this and apply it with my theory that Celestia is using the concept of friendship to brainwash and indoctrinate everypony to expand her kingdom, then you can see that Celestia is pretty arrogant, manipulative, and controlling.
So, when you look at the Mare in the Moon story from Luna's point of view, all she wanted was some of the attention and some credit, but the ponies did their thing during the day while sleeping during the night. It's clear that Luna felt left out and unappreciated. Remember when the story said that Luna wanted the night to last forever and turned evil when she refused to listen to Celestia? The story is making Luna look like a spoiled brat for not getting her way. Doesn't it seem like the story is trying to make Luna look like the bad guy while glorifying Celetsia at the same time? I think Celestia herself wrote the Mare in the Moon story, and she did it in a way that will make her look good and Luna bad. This gives off the impression to the story's readers that Celestia is the superior princess and the one you need to trust, and this, in turn, will make everypony discredit and disregard Luna.

I could leave this here, but I think there's more to this. What if the Luna we've seen isn't the real Luna? What if...the original Luna was murdered by Celestia?

When Luna refused to lower the Moon, the story claimed she was being a brat, but she was trying to stand up for herself from Celestia's mental abuse towards her. After Luna transformed herself into Nightmare Moon, Celestia realized that she wasn't gonna stay submissive and obedient to her authority anymore, so she decided to murder Luna to make sure her authority and rule wouldn't be challenged or overthrown. After the murder, Celestia told everypony that Luna went rogue, but this was a story she used to gain the trust and support from her subjects. So, Celestia basically covered up Luna's murder in order to protect her reputation and to keep her power. Celestia knew that somepony could eventually figure out the conspiracy, so she decided to make a clone of Luna as a fail-safe so she wouldn't be found out. When the events of the first 2 episodes took place, it was time for Celestia to fake Nightmare Moon's return. Remember when Celestia seem to disappear and Nightmare Moon appeared? I believe that the Nightmare Moon we see in those first 2 episodes was really Celestia in disguise. This explains why Celestia was missing without any trace or explanation. When Nightmare Moon was defeated, Celestia put the Luna clone in her place, and she reappeared, making it look like she was released from where Nightmare Moon supposedly banished her to. The idea that Nightmare Moon was Celestia in disguise makes sense because, after Nightmare Moon was defeated, she appeared out of nowhere. Again, we're giving NO explanation for how Celestia supposedly disappeared by Nightmare Moon and where she was. It makes all of this seem to be a set up. And did you ever notice how easily Nightmare Moon was defeated? I mean, she didn't even put up a fight. And all the damage she made was easily reversible.

Celestia didn't want competition from her sister when it came to ruling Equestria. Luna was the one who was trying to reason with Celestia about sharing the rule 50-50, but Celestia wasn't about to give any of it up. This is what the "Luna refused to lower the Moon to make room for the day" bit was really; it was a metaphor of one not sharing the power with the co-ruler and keeping it to themselves. The Mare in the Moon story shifted this aspect onto Luna, to make her look like the corrupted one.

The Luna clone (the Luna we see in the show) was given the false memory that was the Mare in the Moon story by Celestia to make sure that the lie wouldn't be exposed, and her agenda would continue to be fulfilled without interruption...

uhhh don't know

It is an interesting observation though it kinda puts Celestia in the God level as she created the 'clone' of Luna so in the sense what she created really wasn't the original at all. Just a doll/puppet while Celestial is basically ruling everything in the background.

It also gives an interesting spice to some of the Luna episodes like Tantabus could be the remnants of the old Lunas psyche planted into this new sentient doll so basically mane 6 helped Celestia to eradicate all evidence once and for all 

1 hour ago, Millennium Shadow said:

It’s an interesting theory that would make a great fanfic. The flashback in Princess Twilight Sparkle disproves your theory though.

Edited by Twilight Luna
  • Brohoof 2

10 minutes ago, Johan said:

It is an interesting observation though it kinda puts Celestia in the God level as she created the 'clone' of Luna so in the sense what she created really wasn't the original at all. Just a doll/puppet while Celestial is basically ruling everything in the background.

It also gives an interesting spice to some of the Luna episodes like Tantabus could be the remnants of the old Lunas psyche planted into this new sentient doll so basically mane 6 helped Celestia to eradicate all evidence once and for all 

The Luna we see could just be an illusion, but I like your idea of her being a puppet or doll better. It's cuter. :squee:

Also, I don't believe alicorns are gods, as many bronies believe them to be ever since the beginning of brony community.
I mean, what proof do we have? :pout: Literally NOTHING in the canon sources supports this claim. :mellow:

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Twilight Luna said:

It’s an interesting theory that would make a great fanfic. The flashback in Twilight’s Kingdom disproves your theory though.

Don't you mean the Season 4 episodes, Princess Twilight Sparkle, Part 1 & 2:confused:

And it doesn't disprove my theory; it only leans more towards Celestia covering up her trail more.
Remember, Celestia could be hiding more magical abilities than she's showing. With this mind, it's likely that she put a biased spell on the Mare in the Moon story so that, even if you try to search for how Nightmare Moon came to be, it'll always show you the false story that Celestia made to protect her positive image.

4 minutes ago, Millennium Shadow said:

I put up a link in the topic that goes to another theory of mine that relates to this theory, if you're interested. :)

[LINK]

That's interesting, we should overthrow Celestia once and for all!

46 minutes ago, Millennium Shadow said:

Don't you mean the Season 4 episodes, Princess Twilight Sparkle, Part 1 & 2:confused:

And it doesn't disprove my theory; it only leans more towards Celestia covering up her trail more.
Remember, Celestia could be hiding more magical abilities than she's showing. With this mind, it's likely that she put a biased spell on the Mare in the Moon story so that, even if you try to search for how Nightmare Moon came to be, it'll always show you the false story that Celestia made to protect her positive image.

That’s what I meant. :laugh: 

How about this? The story says that the imprisonment in the was supposed to be permanent. What if Celestia released ‘Luna’ early because Twilight was getting too close to the truth?

5 minutes ago, CloudMistDragon said:

Princess Celestia is part of the Illuminati! 

I think you can make literally anything and everything "confirm" the Illuminati. :P

If you look at a teddy bear, what do you see? A head, a body, and 4 legs. But what else has a  head, a body, and 4 legs?
Ponies! What's a pony? An animal. Bears are also an animal. What's in the word "animal"? An "I." What does sounds like "I"? The word "eye"! What has 1 eye? The Illuminati. If you rearrange the letters in "animal," you get "i am lna." "L," "N," and "A" are in the word "Illuminati."
OMG! U knows wat dis meens? :sealed: Teddy bears are officially Illuminati confirmed, boi! :yay:

• Brohoof 2

Well, nice cospiracy. It has some logic in it, but who would benefit from that conspiracy? Celestia already has more power than Luna. + This conspiracy doesn't have solid base to exist, because in my opinion it's just too complex for a nice-looking world.

Princess Celestia is not that cold as you think she is, if you remember Daybreaker was a literal monster who would step on others to achieve her own goals.

3 minutes ago, Iam said:

Well, nice cospiracy. It has some logic in it, but who would benefit from that conspiracy? Celestia already has more power than Luna. + This conspiracy doesn't have solid base to exist, because in my opinion it's just too complex for a nice-looking world.

How does Celestia have "more power than Luna"? :confused:

Celestia didn't want Luna to get in the way of her agendas.

I have another conspiracy that I believe holds more water:  [LINK] 

Also, remember the show is being told from Twilight's POV, so there will be things we don't see. Since Twilight respects and looks up to Celestia, she's gonna be biased and believe she's doing things for the greater good.

13 minutes ago, R.D.Dash said:

Princess Celestia is not that cold as you think she is, if you remember Daybreaker was a literal monster who would step on others to achieve her own goals.

Wasn't that just an illusion created by Starlight's worry or something? :confused:

6 minutes ago, Millennium Shadow said:

How does Celestia have "more power than Luna"? :confused:

Celestia didn't want Luna to get in the way of her agendas.

I have another conspiracy that I believe holds more water:  [LINK] 

Also, remember the show is being told from Twilight's POV, so there will be things we don't see. Since Twilight respects and looks up to Celestia, she's gonna be biased and believe she's doing things for the greater good.

I assume that Celestia has more power than Luna by their sizes (simply as that).

I've read that previous conspiracy and the answer will be in a moment.

If I would realize, that it's only someone's POV, so only the fragment of reality, then I don't know most of things, that's happenning right now(because many other POVs). It's the same base as the Illuminati conspiracy where we need to be depopulated to 10% of present population and we need to be their slaves... On margin: The best slave is that slave that thinks he's/she's free. (like in the present human world)

18 minutes ago, Iam said:

I assume that Celestia has more power than Luna by their sizes (simply as that).

I've read that previous conspiracy and the answer will be in a moment.

If I would realize, that it's only someone's POV, so only the fragment of reality, then I don't know most of things, that's happenning right now(because many other POVs). It's the same base as the Illuminati conspiracy where we need to be depopulated to 10% of present population and we need to be their slaves... On margin: The best slave is that slave that thinks he's/she's free. (like in the present human world)

I'm saying that Celestia knows how to throw everypony off her trail.

And it wouldn't surprise me if she created some of this creatures of situations we see in the show to distract everypony. :dash:

Speaking of the population, you can fit the entire human population into the Grand Canyon, but we'd barely fill it. This is what I mean.
And yeah, we're all slaves. We're slaves to our jobs, to ourselves, and to the system we've set up. We really don't know what we're doing, but we arrogantly say that we do. :yeahno:

57 minutes ago, Millennium Shadow said:

Wasn't that just an illusion created by Starlight's worry or something? :confused:

Probably, but if Luna can turn into Nightmare Moon there is always a chance that Celestia could do it as well.