Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Books: Digital or Non-Digital

MangoFoalix

I was hesitant about going digital, but after getting an e-book reader there really was no going back - it's portable, I can read whichever book I feel like that evening (or even buy a new one if I feel so inclined), I don't need to bring a light with me* and perhaps most critically E-books are much cheaper than their paperback equivalents (or even free - I download a lot of stories from Fimfiction.)

I read a lot when I was younger, and continue to read a fair bit now (although sadly 3+ hour evening reading sessions due to having a bedtime that was far too early are no longer) so I've had plenty of experience with both - and I do think that my e-book reader has made reading easier for me. 

And all that is whilst they are still in their infancy - there is a lot of potential to do things that regular books can't do; the 'X-ray' function that my e-book reader has means that in compatible books I can highlight a name and it produces a brief description of the person (along with a timeline of where they appear in the book^), it can connect to a dictionary or to Wikipedia to give a summary of a highlighted word, being able to adjust text size has already been mentioned... there are a lot of possibilities that could really improve the reading experience, and I'm interested in seeing what e-book readers will be able to do ten years down the line.

*I recently tried a paper book as my evening read - only to realise that I didn't have a bedside lamp or a torch to hand. And as my e-book reader has a very dim light and some weird tech that I don't understand in it, it doesn't inflict the same blue-light insomnia that most of my other devices with screens do.

^which isn't very clever when it clearly shows where they drop dead later in the story. Teething issues remain.

• 3 months later...

During college, I preferred digital books. Nowadays, I like hardcover books and usually keep em on a shelf above my desk at work. Computer screens will start to bother my eyes after some time, unless I wear yellow glasses.

I own several hardcover books, but I am no stranger to reading the digital format (sometimes it's just easier to download a PDF copy from the web of the textbook that cost hundreds of dollars.)which honestly makes me feel better about not damaging the physical book which tends to happen at times.

Edited by R.D.Dash

About two months ago I finally got a complete eye exam and my much needed new glasses. I have been celebrating by checking out stacks of actual physical books from the library! It's great to be able to read them again without massive headaches from serious eye strain! Yesterday I had to charge up my tablet, just in case. I haven't used it since I got my new glasses! This time I will listen to my eye doctor. She wants me back in six months.

My eyes are a mess!

I'd say it depends. Some books I only want to read for the actual content and don't care how it's presented to me so I choose to read them on my Kindle (plus it's a space saver when I'm traveling). Also sometimes it's cheaper to get a digital book if for example I can't find a physical copy of the book or it's ridiculously expensive. But there are certain books that can only be appreciated when you can actually hold them and feel the paper, smell the ink and just admire the craft of book design :-D

I prefer physical books because I often underline text and write down notes in the book, I prefer having a physical collection of them rather than a digital collection as much as the latter would be far more convenient for portability (though this reasoning does not extend to my game collection), and there is no need to worry about your books running out of power.

On 8/5/2018 at 9:48 AM, Once In A Blue Moon said:

the 'X-ray' function that my e-book reader has means that in compatible books I can highlight a name and it produces a brief description of the person (along with a timeline of where they appear in the book^), it can connect to a dictionary or to Wikipedia to give a summary of a highlighted word, being able to adjust text size has already been mentioned... there are a lot of possibilities that could really improve the reading experience, and I'm interested in seeing what e-book readers will be able to do ten years down the line.

This does sound rather interesting though.

If I can't get the book physical, I'll get it digital.  I wish more books became audiobooks though, I don't have the focus these days to actually sit down and read a book, audiobooks help me focus better on the book.  I'm so grateful for the "Read Aloud" option on my computer, I wouldn't be able to "read" half the fanfics I do without it...

• 6 months later...

Physical books have their obvious charm to them, but if I want any I will go digital, mainly because it takes up no space and all of it is right there on one device, ready to go. I like that kind of convenience.

• 2 years later...

I really try to keep thing as digital as possible. You safe space, paper and other ressources, can access it from everywhere without transporting etc. But for books it's a bit different. If I really want to digest a book in its entirety I really need a physical copy, I can feel and touch also mark things down or make notes If I need to. Is it just some tables or similar to look things up I can and do keep the digital too.

On 2018-08-03 at 9:52 AM, TwilySparky said:

I like the feel, the smell, and just the feeling of not having a screen blasting in my face 24/7. There is nothing that can beat the smell of a new book or even the smell of a book that is years old.

Thank you.  You are my new hero.  I love real, paper books.  I actually had this debate with some friends recently who are very pro-e-reader, and I had trouble making my case to them.  Kinda ground my gears.

So, let me start by saying that I'm not exactly anti-digital book, per se.  What I mean is, I don't judge or condemn others for liking and using them, nor would I say that digital books shouldn't exist, but I personally f*cking hate them.  I adore real books, and I will never read and e-book.  This is a hill I would die on.

Personally, I believe that the definition of a book is bound paper pages, so I don't even think a digital book is technically possible.  A digital novel?  Yes.  Book?  No.  But that's splitting hairs.  I love paper books so much.  I love the way they look, they way they feel, the way they smell.  Oh yes, the smell.  It's a wonderful thing.  I can identify many of my books my smell alone.  The smell of many of my video game player's guide bring back some of my fondest memories.

I love holding the physical books in my hands.  My entire life is digital.  When I read a novel, I want to get my hands on something real.  I want to touch something.  My whole life is basically video games, tv, and computer work.  And that's by choice, mind you, and I like it, but I spend nearly every waking second of my day staring at a screen.  Reading a book is my sacred time to get away from the screen and look at something real, to connect with it, to unwind and unplug.  Literally unplug.

It may sound cheesy and cliche, but snuggling under my blanket on my couch with a book is one of the greatest sources of joy for me, and an e-book would kill all of that.  There's nothing cozy about an e-book.  Even after I've read them, I like to display my books on my shelf and flip through them occasionally, letting the feel and smell take me back.  Each book is a treasured possession.

Okay, I think I've gushed for long enough.  You get the point.  I have spoken.

Edited by Justin_Case001

• 4 weeks later...

I would rather read a physical copy of a book than a digital copy. I feel like I would retain the story better that way. I dunno, it just feels more personal.