Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The overuse of Hearths Warming Eve

Sparklefan1234

Do you think there are too many Hearths Warming Eve episodes?  

34 users have voted

1. 1. Do you think there are too many Hearth Warming Eve episodes?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, bornAgainEquestrian said:

That would be a pretty interesting episode, if she voiced that she didn't want to "be" that anymore. It'd be like a very clever take on some of the sociopolitical problems that Halloween has dealt with in recent years with offensive costumes and such. It'd be cool if they evolved the holiday somehow so Luna isn't the butt of the joke. Of course, one thing that always irked me is that Celestia never did something about this in the first place. I was thinking it immediately from S1:E2, knowing how saddened Luna was that her beautiful nights were never appreciated because everypony was in bed, I would've declared a "Moon Festival" holiday for that very purpose. Either plan for a night where the ponies stay out (not something fear-based like Nightmare Night), or keep the sun down during the normal daylight hours. Also, eclipse festivals, because those are truly epic.

There is one in the comics where they all gather outside and watch a massive series of "northern lights"equivilent glow in the sky while singing Luna's favorite song. Its a holiday Celestia quietly set up over several years after her sisters banishment to try and get ponies to share some of what she loved rather than shunning the night.

• Brohoof 1

On 8/6/2018 at 9:42 AM, AlexanderThrond said:

I feel this could be done without forcing Luna to indulge this constant reminder of her darkest hour.

That would require the writers to know Princess Luna. I mean, do they even know what happened during her "darkest hour"?

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Number62 said:

That would require the writers to know Princess Luna. I mean, do they even know what happened during her "darkest hour"?

It’s their job to make it up! 

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Number62 said:

It's been one of the most critical plot elements from the very beginning, and also (what they thought at the time) was the very end. How could they not?

But if you mean "Do they know what was going through her mind?" I think that opportunity has passed already. Should've made the Tantabus thing a 2-parter where Luna doesn't just confront the fear of what she could do again, but also deals with the elements of her past that drove her to become Nightmare Moon in the first place.

Edited by bornAgainEquestrian
  • Brohoof 1

On 8/6/2018 at 7:24 PM, DonMaguz said:

I think that the Hearth's Warming theme is used as the setting of each episode to tell distinctive stories, because of that it doesn't seem to be an overused theme. Something that cannot be said about Flim and Flam episodes.

Yeah, it seems to be Flim and Flam are a lazy plot point after there second appearance. Never really liked them. Instead I would like to see Rara another time. :twi:

• Brohoof 1

@AlexanderThrond @bornAgainEquestrian

I'd like to continue the conversation, but it'd have to be somewhere else as continuing might derail the thread, so I'll give this response for now.

23 hours ago, AlexanderThrond said:

It’s their job to make it up! 

Do you honestly believe they did any of that?

23 hours ago, bornAgainEquestrian said:

It's been one of the most critical plot elements from the very beginning, and also (what they thought at the time) was the very end. How could they not?

But if you mean "Do they know what was going through her mind?" I think that opportunity has passed already. Should've made the Tantabus thing a 2-parter where Luna doesn't just confront the fear of what she could do again, but also deals with the elements of her past that drove her to become Nightmare Moon in the first place.

I've talked about the episode, but to put it succinctly, that episode sucks.

To answer the title of the thread, I would much rather be entertained, so having multiple winter episodes doesn't bother me. However, I haven't seen the new episodes, so I won't comment on them. Having 4 "Christmas" episodes would mean that at least 4 years have passed in the show unless Equestria celebrates this holiday multiple times in one year.

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Number62 said:

To answer the title of the thread, I would much rather be entertained, so having multiple winter episodes doesn't bother me. However, I haven't seen the new episodes, so I won't comment on them. Having 4 "Christmas" episodes would mean that at least 4 years have passed in the show unless Equestria celebrates this holiday multiple times in one year.

Hard to tell really. Maybe it's no surprise they need actual time keepers and can't just rely on mechanical clocks. Equestria is likely a geocentric solar system, and may even be flat. The transit of the moon and the sun are under intelligent control, and we know if at least a few times where things haven't happened on schedule. So, does the solar system (if you can even call it that) provide any normal cycle from which to build a timescale? Their ability to properly track the flow of time might be a bit... off.

Edited by bornAgainEquestrian
  • Brohoof 1

On 8/8/2018 at 5:14 PM, bornAgainEquestrian said:

Oh, and yeah... if you want to take this further in another thread, that's cool. Not sure if you meant necroing that one or making a new one.

I'd rather go to that thread since we already talked a little bit about the episode.

On 8/8/2018 at 5:05 PM, bornAgainEquestrian said:

Hard to tell really. Maybe it's no surprise they need actual time keepers and can't just rely on mechanical clocks. Equestria is likely a geocentric solar system, and may even be flat. The transit of the moon and the sun are under intelligent control, and we know if at least a few times where things haven't happened on schedule. So, does the solar system (if you can even call it that) provide any normal cycle from which to build a timescale? Their ability to properly track the flow of time might be a bit... off.

A day (at least in this reality) is defined by a planet making one rotation, and a year is defined by a planet making one orbit around the sun. Last time I checked, no one was said to control a planet's movement (unless Discord knows something), so a I'm pretty sure time works the same way in Equestria.

170x170bb.jpg

Why has the show not celebrated New Year's? I guess Equestria doesn't like that holiday.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Number62 said:

A day (at least in this reality) is defined by a planet making one rotation, and a year is defined by a planet making one orbit around the sun. Last time I checked, no one was said to control a planet's movement (unless Discord knows something), so a I'm pretty sure time works the same way in Equestria.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=440495ccd3fef3a5170x170bb.jpg

Why has the show not celebrated New Year's? I guess Equestria doesn't like that holiday.

The problem is in this case either the Sun is revolving around the planet via pony power making each day = 1 revolution round the planet and year = ? or Celestia and Luna are actually controlling the rotation of the planet itself. I actually read a fun fanfic where the enterprise visited Equestria and got freaked (repeatedly) by what was going on there.

What would New Years be though? As in we don't know about the pony year and there are holiday's in the comics we don't see in the series as well as a fair few one off's like the harvest festival. If they have a "New Year's day" equivilent it'd need to fall in a very small timeframe between Hearths Warming Eve and Winter Wrap up as that would presumably be the equivilent of december/january. Maybe winter wrap up is their new years day? The end of winter and a glorious new year/springtime.

43 minutes ago, Senko said:

The problem is in this case either the Sun is revolving around the planet via pony power making each day = 1 revolution round the planet and year = ? or Celestia and Luna are actually controlling the rotation of the planet itself. I actually read a fun fanfic where the enterprise visited Equestria and got freaked (repeatedly) by what was going on there.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Celestia moving the sun (and by extension forgot about the geocentricity comment from @bornAgainEquestrian).

Or maybe the sisters might instead be moving the planet itself like you said.

On another 170x170bb.jpg

I'm not sure why Luna raising the moon in the sky after the sun is gone would signal nighttime when the sun not being directly overhead is the the reason for our nighttime. Also, those two are moving what we would normally say are very massive, so that somewhat begs the question of what exactly are the sun and moon (and maybe other celestial bodies) in their universe unless the sisters are, again, rotating the planet.

43 minutes ago, Senko said:

What would New Years be though? As in we don't know about the pony year and there are holiday's in the comics we don't see in the series as well as a fair few one off's like the harvest festival. If they have a "New Year's day" equivilent it'd need to fall in a very small timeframe between Hearths Warming Eve and Winter Wrap up as that would presumably be the equivilent of december/january. Maybe winter wrap up is their new years day? The end of winter and a glorious new year/springtime. 

If they would celebrate New Year's, it could be for the same reasons humans celebrate it.

Edited by Number62

8 hours ago, Number62 said:

Oh yeah, I forgot about Celestia moving the sun (and by extension forgot about the geocentricity comment from @bornAgainEquestrian).

Or maybe the sisters might instead be moving the planet itself like you said.

On another 170x170bb.jpg

I'm not sure why Luna raising the moon in the sky after the sun is gone would signal nighttime when the sun not being directly overhead is the the reason for our nighttime. Also, those two are moving what we would normally say are very massive, so that somewhat begs the question of what exactly are the sun and moon (and maybe other celestial bodies) in their universe unless the sisters are, again, rotating the planet.

If they would celebrate New Year's, it could be for the same reasons humans celebrate it.

I don't think they're turning the planet. For one, the sun often sets in the same spot the moon rises from. For another, the impact on the planet being jerked around like that would be a geologic disaster of infinite proportions, and also would fling every inhabitant like standing on a treadmill that went from zero to 1000s of kph in a matter of seconds.