Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

If there has to be a Queen to be a Princess why is there no Queen

Unity

While Queen Chrysalis is queen of the Changelings I really dont think she counts as she leads her own ponies.

I am wondering why there is Princess Celestia, Prnicess Luna, Princess Twilight Sparkle and Cadence (flurry possibly as well) but there is no Queen.

Maybe I dont know all about the whole Queen King Princess system,but I could have sworn that Princesses are daughters of a Queen. And there is no Queen.

Maybe Princess is just a title in this case and instead of another name it is just Princess. 

But what are your thoughts on why this is the case?

I just realised I could have asked "what makes them princesses in this case" so do that.

Edited by Unity
  • Brohoof 1

maybe there once was a queen so great, that after she died they decided to not pass her title on and let her keep it forever,thus just be princesses instead

• Brohoof 3

Based on what  Lauren said in "my little pony: official guidebook", disney portrayed the Queens  as "evil,"  while the princess were portrayed as the good guys.  So that's why she doesn't want to add a "queen" title for Celestra, and have her keep the princess title. Generally in my own opinion that's bullcrap at this point since well...Queen elsa. 

• Brohoof 4

The Many Tales of Queen Chrysalis more or less says the only reason why she uses "Queen" is because she thought it sounded nice after King Orion(?) called her a queen after she conquered his kingdom, or something like that.

Equestria just has its own naming convention for royalty, other kingdoms have their own takes. Abyssinia, Thicket and Aquastria have Kings and Queens, Diamond Dogs have "Masters", Dragons have Lords and Equestria has Princesses. That's how I always interrupted it at least.

Edited by Jordan D
  • Brohoof 2

Just now, TBD said:

Based on what  Lauren said in "my little pony: official guidebook", disney portrayed the Queens  as "evil,"  while the princess were portrayed as the good guys.  So that's why she doesn't want to add a "queen" title for Celestra, and have her keep the princess title. Generally in my own opinion that's bullcrap at this point since well...Queen elsa. 

I've heard this reasoning before and I agree with you that it's silly. :P But there is at least one example of a queen who isn't evil in MLP – Queen Novo.

I guess Equestria is a principality. :ooh: There are countries in our world too that have a prince or princess but no kings or queens. Monaco is the first one I could think of, and Liechtenstein and Andorra are similar cases too. So at least there's a real world precedent! :yay:

• Brohoof 7

1 minute ago, Tacodidra said:

I've heard this reasoning before and I agree with you that it's silly. :P But there is at least one example of a queen who isn't evil in MLP – Queen Novo.

I guess Equestria is a principality. :ooh: There are countries in our world too that have a prince or princess but no kings or queens. Monaco is the first one I could think of, and Liechtenstein and Andorra are similar cases too. So at least there's a real world precedent! :yay:

Ah yes Queen Novo!  and hmmm never thought of that way that could be the case too or..

Maybe princess celestia is too lazy to promote herself as Queen and don't want to do the extra work.:orly:

4 minutes ago, Twilight Luna said:

Hasbro and Disney believe that it’s easier to market princesses to little girls than queens. :scoots:

I would start laughing if a kid says to me that princess are higher rank than Queen.

• Brohoof 1

20 minutes ago, TBD said:

Mostly accurate. Faust wanted Celestia to be Queen Celestia, however Hasbro requested the change for the reasoning mentioned.

7 minutes ago, Califorum said:

For some reason they thought Queens would be seen as evil, yet they have Queen Novo.

What Hasbro felt in 2008 when they approached Faust, and what the feel now has changed. This happens a LOT in the corporate world. It is likely that Frozen helped change their mind. Frozen was released after FiM was started. 

• Brohoof 7

I think when Celestia and Luna came into power the Equestrian government from all representatives (pegasi, earth and unicorn) simply abolished the title of king and queen out of simplicity; it would have been more easy to name the then new royals princesses. 

12 minutes ago, shyabetes3939 said:

Maybe the king and queen were Luna's and Celestia's parents, and now they're long dead. However, as a mark of respect, their titles were not passed on when they died.

No Alicorns had been born before flurry heart.

Just now, Unity said:

What's the problem?

Just because Princess Luna said that an alicorn had never been born in Equestria, doesn't mean an alicorn has never been born at all. Megan McCarthy and Amy Keating Rogers said that Celestia and Luna were born alicorns.

• Brohoof 1

23 minutes ago, heavens-champion said:

Just because Princess Luna said that an alicorn had never been born in Equestria, doesn't mean an alicorn has never been born at all. Megan McCarthy and Amy Keating Rogers said that Celestia and Luna were born alicorns.

Could I get that source?

4 minutes ago, Unity said:

Words like that dont mean anything to me without a source.

You want a source? Alright, buster, you got a source.

Flurry Heart

Flurry Heart ID S6E1  

Flurry Heart is an Alicorn filly born to Shining Armor and Princess Cadance in the season six premiere. Some promotional material titles her the "first"[note 1] baby Alicorn, though a So Soft Newborn toy of Princess Skyla, another Alicorn, was released years beforehand, and the book The Journal of the Two Sisters suggests that Celestia and Luna, as well as other Alicorns, were born as Alicorns too. In The Crystalling - Part 1, Celestia comments, "The birth of an Alicorn is something Equestria has never seen!" Her horn and wings are larger than either of those of the Cake foals and of other baby ponies featured in the show and in other official material(s). When Twilight and her friends see Flurry Heart for the first time, they are taken aback by her unfurled wings.

Storybooks

The book The Journal of the Two Sisters recounts parts of Princess Luna's and Princess Celestia's diaries. Luna tells of "the Alicorns" who taught Luna and Celestia when they were foals. Celestia tells of Star Swirl the Bearded who is familiar with Alicorns, and how Alicorns age differently than other ponies, which is why Luna and Celestia remained without cutie marks well into adulthood.

This are from the My Little Pony Wiki, copied and pasted.

By the way, The Journal of the Two Sisters was written by Amy Keating Rogers.

Here's a link: http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/The_Journal_of_the_Two_Sisters

Edited by heavens-champion

I'm simply pointing out that this question already has a topic made about it before. 

And as for Disney and Pixar, they already have a good Queen named Elsa and Elinor, respectively. So, the poor excuse for and argument that "ALL Queens are evil" is invalid. That's all I'm going to say.

2 hours ago, heavens-champion said:

You want a source? Alright, buster, you got a source.

Flurry Heart

Flurry Heart ID S6E1  

Flurry Heart is an Alicorn filly born to Shining Armor and Princess Cadance in the season six premiere. Some promotional material titles her the "first"[note 1] baby Alicorn, though a So Soft Newborn toy of Princess Skyla, another Alicorn, was released years beforehand, and the book The Journal of the Two Sisters suggests that Celestia and Luna, as well as other Alicorns, were born as Alicorns too. In The Crystalling - Part 1, Celestia comments, "The birth of an Alicorn is something Equestria has never seen!" Her horn and wings are larger than either of those of the Cake foals and of other baby ponies featured in the show and in other official material(s). When Twilight and her friends see Flurry Heart for the first time, they are taken aback by her unfurled wings.

Storybooks

The book The Journal of the Two Sisters recounts parts of Princess Luna's and Princess Celestia's diaries. Luna tells of "the Alicorns" who taught Luna and Celestia when they were foals. Celestia tells of Star Swirl the Bearded who is familiar with Alicorns, and how Alicorns age differently than other ponies, which is why Luna and Celestia remained without cutie marks well into adulthood.

This are from the My Little Pony Wiki, copied and pasted.

By the way, The Journal of the Two Sisters was written by Amy Keating Rogers.

Here's a link: http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/The_Journal_of_the_Two_Sisters

I think that all that that source does is put emphases on the fact that it says  *Equestria*

It never specifically says that Celestia and Luna were actually born Alicorns.

I could have worded the first comment better to say "Equestria" but I think that is really all that matters.

I do think it is possible that an Alicorn could have been born outside of Equestria.

But nobody can say for sure, we do not even know where the other Alicorns are.

1 hour ago, Unity said:

I think that all that that source does is put emphases on the fact that it says  *Equestria*

It never specifically says that Celestia and Luna were actually born Alicorns.

It never specifically says that they were NOT born alicorns, either.

21 minutes ago, heavens-champion said:

It never specifically says that they were NOT born alicorns, either.

True. I tend to believe what i see, not what i hear.