Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Bookhorse | A Minigame for the Twilight Day

Rikifive

HELLO THERE! :yay:

Today we have the TWILIGHT DAY:o

Some of you may remember, that I said I have an idea for this day, that I'll make something silly. So here it is! A minigame with our beloved Twilight and her favorite activity! (apparently shooting at books :mlp_icwudt:)

I have to admit, that I kind of failed. I didn't manage to implement many, many features I've planned, so it ended up being pretty basic. There are many things I'd like to polish - add animations here and there, but well.... At least the game works, hopefully! :D 

I'm not sure when I started the project- 4 days ago? or something around this.. So consider this as a silly little project - feels like game jams / other little contests. :mlp_icwudt:

But hey! At least I finally released something! :yay: 

Okay, so first have a sceenie! :catface:

p9xnF6n.png

Your objective is to, let's say, sort the books that are thrown at you. ^_^ 
Shoot the books with magical projectiles to put them on the shelf! :D
Don't let EVEN A SINGLE BOOK fall to the ground. This is what Twilight doesn't like and she'll give up as soon as she'll see one on the ground. :P (it will be game over, that is) 

Here are some details:

• You need to shoot the books with projectiles of the same color. For example, use RED spell for RED books. Using incorrect colors will have no effect.
  • Each book takes 4 hits to go to the shelf.
  • Switch spells with [A / S]  keys or [MOUSE WHEEL]. I wanted to put these keys on the screen, like I did with Rainbow icon to the right, but I really had no time to get back to it. :adorkable:
  • Rainbow Dash is here to help you! Wait for her to charge up and hit the [Q] key to let her wreck whatever possible! :D
  • Putting a whole line of books on the shelf will advance you to the next level, where books will be thrown more frequently. You also get more score for those.
  • In case you didn't notice, the level is written on the scroll and the score is written on the books; look to the left. :) 

And that's all I suppose. :P 

If you'll encounter any bugs, let me know! ^_^ 

I'm not sure if I'll be working on it further, but I do have some ideas for more and more features. I'll see how it goes.  :P 

PLEASE, before you'll get to this, read the following, that may save you some troubles. :rarity:

• Press [LEFT ALT] and [ENTER] to switch between FULLSCREEN and WINDOWED mode. I wanted to add menu with options, but I ran out of time. :adorkable:
  • Press [R] to RESTART the game. There's no warning, it is instant.
  • I'M REALLY SORRY, BUT THERE'S NO PAUSE MENU. I ran out of time. Pressing [ESC] will SHUTDOWN the game without a warning /!\

DOWNLOAD

Direct Attachment
You need to be logged in to be able to download.
EXE:
 The Bookhorse.exe (5.86 MB)
RAR: The Bookhorse.rar (4.99 MB)

Google Drive
EXE: The Bookhorse.exe (6 MB)
RAR: The Bookhorse.rar (5 MB)

Choose your preferred format; An .exe installation file or an compressed .rar file. Both versions of the game are the same, so in the end it doesn't matter which one you'll download.

System Requirements
Operating System: Windows
Around 10MB of free space on the hard drive. That's a lot! :laugh:
Not sure about the rest of stuff. the game is lightweight, so it shouldn't be really demanding.

Please notify me about any issues you'll bump into, if any.

On this day you can interact with Twilight, so why not have fun with her in the game? :D 
Feel free to share scores! ;) 

Maybe it's not as good as I planned, but it was going to be silly anyway. Either way at least I managed to get to the playable state. :P 

"Let's Plays"! :yay:

@Rikifive (DEVELOPER)

Spoiler

@Crescent Forest AKA: Electric Pegasus

Spoiler

@HereComesTom

Spoiler

@Sherbert Music-Guard

Spoiler

beEWGks.png ATTENTION
This video contains swearing.

Just poke me if you'd like to have yours featured as well! ;) 

Edited by Rikifive
Added Downloads hosted in my Google Drive. It is to allow guests download the game. // Also updated some post here and there
  • Brohoof 8

oh my. this is perfect

it fits both Twilight day and the 80's week,
i wonder who is throwing all those books :P or maybe she put spike do it so she can sort them out

• Brohoof 1

just got around to plaing it
here's my score, nothing fancy but i got the hang of it
bookhorse.png.d26d0a21895068e4b8b31e08f60cc765.png
seems to run smoothly, i didn't encounter any bugs or anomalies, considering how short the timeframe you had was, its a great game

• Brohoof 2

4 hours ago, Lord Valtasar said:

oh my. this is perfect

it fits both Twilight day and the 80's week,
i wonder who is throwing all those books :P or maybe she put spike do it so she can sort them out

I think it may be Spike indeed. :ooh:

4 hours ago, Jedishy said:

This is really cool. Great work. Do you plan to develop it even more? 

Thank you! :squee:

I'm not sure. I have other projects in the works, so I'm kinda not sure what should I focus on. :P Generally this game was supposed to be short and silly, but if that would be highly demanded, I could work on it further, as i didn't manage to implement all stuff I planned after all. There's still place for various improvements and new features.

2 hours ago, Sherbert Music-Guard said:

I need to play this!!!

Then go for it! :yay:

Have fun! :D

2 hours ago, Lord Valtasar said:

just got around to plaing it
here's my score, nothing fancy but i got the hang of it
bookhorse.png.d26d0a21895068e4b8b31e08f60cc765.png
seems to run smoothly, i didn't encounter any bugs or anomalies, considering how short the timeframe you had was, its a great game

Good enough! ;)

Oh what a relief. I was testing stuff along with development, but didn't have much of time to give it decent playtests after everything was done. :P

Thank you very much for playing! :yay:

• Brohoof 1

• This topic was pinned and featured

@Rikifive I am excited to try this out. Been waiting for this. I'm pinning this post and when I get to my laptop I'll feature it on the index. 

Good job man. 

• Brohoof 2

23 minutes ago, Jeric said:

@Rikifive I am excited to try this out. Been waiting for this. I'm pinning this post and when I get to my laptop I'll feature it on the index. 

Good job man. 

But be aware, that it's really silly! ^_^

Thank you very much, I didn't expect that. :PNow I have a feeling, that I should have put even more effort into this. :adorkable: Yeeeeah, I hope its current state will be acceptable. :twi:

14 minutes ago, Nye said:

I tried playing it but Defender said no.

I'm not surprised to be honest. It is a freshly created .exe file, that is generally unknown to antiviruses, because you know, it's new. They didn't gather enough of information from users, who used it in the past and stuff, so they see this file as unfamiliar, thus suspicious. With that being said, these sometimes tend to block my own files just after I create them. Yeah I totally created a file to hack myself... :mlp_icwudt:

That's why I'm not a fan of .exe files. I guess I'd have to come up with a legit company/studio of some sort and be sure to tag my exe files with these properly.

Either way, if you feel unsafe about this, I won't be forcing you to anything. Sorry you had to bump into this. I could provide a .rar file once I'd get back home (it will be 8 hours counted from this moment) if you'd like to try again. Non-installing formats are safer, so Defender should not complain. .rar files are actually what I usually request from fellow devs, because I also have issues with any kind of .exe installation files. I could also scan everything if needed, I don't have anything to hide.

Once again, sorry for inconvenience.

• Brohoof 2

3 minutes ago, Rikifive said:

Either way, if you feel unsafe about this, I won't be forcing you to anything. Sorry you had to bump into this. I could provide a .rar file once I'd get back home (it will be 8 hours counted from this moment) if you'd like to try again. Non-installing formats are safer, so Defender should not complain. .rar files are actually what I usually request from fellow devs, because I also have issues with any kind of .exe installation files. I could also scan everything if needed, I don't have anything to hide.

Once again, sorry for inconvenience.

I just don't know how to make it let me bypass Defender. Be sure to drop the .rar file when you get home! :twi:

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, Nye said:

I just don't know how to make it let me bypass Defender. Be sure to drop the .rar file when you get home! :twi:

Oh right, that Defender. If I recall correctly, there should be some kind of a "read more" / "more info" button at the bottom. That should display more information as well as reveal an option to make an exception for that file.

I'm pretty sure there was that.

Other than this, you could try temporarily disabling protection (I had to do this myself few times, because I was using Avast years ago and that was just straightly removing files.. my own files...) , but I don't actually want to suggest you that, so if above fails, it would be safer to wait. 

And sorry for inconvenience, again. :rarity:

• Brohoof 2

I'll give this a try in a bit, Riki. You put hard work into this so I wanna play it for a bit. :catface:

• Brohoof 3

28 minutes ago, TheTaZe said:

I'll give this a try in a bit, Riki. You put hard work into this so I wanna play it for a bit. :catface:

Had to sacrifice a big part of the sleep-time, but other than that I had only fun. No regrets! :yay:

28 minutes ago, Mystic Mane said:

I've been playing the game for a while now and I really like it!

No bugs, runs smoothly, great work:pinkie:

Happy to hear that! :squee:

Great! I honestly expected bugs to be there, but it seems to be good so far! :P

Thank you! :)

8 minutes ago, TheTaZe said:

God damnit, @Rikifive

This is why I love you. Probably my favorite part of the game. :D

image.png.c3a8367e6641841e103a47b96da0eb2c.png

Hah I just had to! :love: I won't lie, I kept laughing while implementing that one. :laugh:

This may be something @Sondash Studios would like too. :dash: ;)

• Brohoof 3

18 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

@Rikifive Happy Twilight Sparkle Day, My Friend! Awesome work as always! :squee:

Thank you Sparklefan, much appreciated. :squee:

4 minutes ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

I'm not any kind of gamer, but angry Dashie makes me want to give this a try!

Hah! ^_^

• Brohoof 2

2 minutes ago, Clod said:

"Oh, Rainbow is available. I'll just press Q."

*press Q*

"Oh, goodbye ears, have a nice day."

Heh yeah, was it too loud? :please:

I was soooo wrapping everything in hurry, that I didn't adjust things properly. :twi:

• Brohoof 2

Just now, Rikifive said:

Heh yeah, was it too loud? :please:

I was soooo wrapping everything in hurry, that I didn't adjust things properly. :twi:

Maybe a little. I did have my volume kinda high, but the music and sound effects weren't a problem.

• Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, Clod said:

Maybe a little. I did have my volume kinda high, but the music and sound effects weren't a problem.

I didn't have time for adjusting volumes, these actually happened to play well with each other. Except that one loud thing, that came this way, as it generally is supposed to be 'ear rape'. :P

Useless Trivia: In the game code Rainbow Dash is referred as "Reinbew Dah".

• Brohoof 1

25 minutes ago, Sondash Studios said:

Happy Twilight Day to everyone as well!

@Rikifive, I didn't try the game yet, but it definitely looks like something I'd do. 

P.S. I'm already doing a sprite animation involving Rainbow Dash.

Why I have mentioned you is the fact, that Rainbow Dash here plays a role of "Sanic" - the Sonic meme. So it basically is a meme-crossover of Rainbow and Sonic. :laugh:

It made me think of you, because you like both of them in particular. :P

• Brohoof 2