Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would you agree with this quote?

Azureth

Near the end where Celestia says: 

A true princess in any world leads not by forcing others to bow before her, but by inspiring others to stand with her.

• Brohoof 5

partly, there are times when a ruler needs to make decisions that will not be liked, but still cary them out. its one of the burdens of wearing a crown

• Brohoof 3

1 hour ago, Azureth said:

"A true princess in any world leads not by forcing others to bow before her, but by inspiring others to stand with her."

I agree...
and I disagree at the same time...
There are times the ruler would need to do things that everyone might not like...
But...
Sometimes

• Brohoof 1

Yes, fully.

Yes leader has to make choices people don't like, but that's not forcing others to bow, in fact, when leader inspires their people to stand with them, it's easier to make said decisions, because people are more likely to accept something they don't like without problems when they are happy about their leader. 

• Brohoof 3

Yes, absolutely, without any doubt. :proud:

It's true rulers may have to make choices, that won't be liked, but these should be made for everybody's own good, rather than in act of selfishness.

Rulers also should respect the others. They should be the inspiration, be someone you can trust. Then even if there will be bad news, you'll believe, that there has to be a reason for that and you'll still stand with them.

What the quote is saying, is that the rulers shouldn't behave childishly, seeking only for respect. Doing something bad just because they can and because they want to show who has the power. Sure everyone can be jerks, that's not hard to achieve, but being patient, truthful and ready to help the others, share with them... Now that's something not everyone is capable of.

For a comparison you may relate to, it is the same for the moderators here, for example. Who would you follow, selfish jerks (sorry for the phrase), who like to punish users for their own entertainment or ones who do their best to make you feel comfortable and safe, who actually care about you? :P

Edited by Rikifive
Typos // typing on mobile
  • Brohoof 1

I disagree. It's great to be an inspiration to others, but those you wish to inspire must also know that there are consequences for undermining your efforts. One cannot rule on love alone. Yes this is what needed to be said in the moment given the context, but on it's own I find this quote lacking.

Sure Sunset learned the magic of friendship, but we all know that in the real world she would have been expelled and likely thrown in jail for what she had done. Allowing such acts to go unpunished does nothing to discourage future attempts, potentially by the same person even. It's good that she was sincerely sorry at the end, but that didn't make up for what she did. She's since made up for her wrong doings by saving the school now on multiple occasions, but most of the time opportunities like that don't arise.

8 hours ago, Sherbert Music-Guard said:

I agree...
and I disagree at the same time...
There are times the ruler would need to do things that everyone might not like...
But...
Sometimes

I don't think it's quite the same thing. It's about earning trust and respect. If you can do that, you can be a proper leader without turning every issue into a problem that needs to be solved via committee - situations like that can waste far too much precious time if you need to act fast.

It works well in some situations but in others it could result in disaster. There are times where a leader must make a harsh decision or one that their followers won't appreciate but then the end result in the future would be one they'd appreciate.

• Brohoof 1

10 hours ago, Simply Cerberus said:

Yes, fully.

Yes leader has to make choices people don't like, but that's not forcing others to bow, in fact, when leader inspires their people to stand with them, it's easier to make said decisions, because people are more likely to accept something they don't like without problems when they are happy about their leader. 

Exactly. Though choices have to be made, but they may not contain their peoples freedom. :twi:

• Brohoof 1

I mean, I guess I would agree with that quote in general, what it's saying is good, I mean I would rather have people who look up to me and really trust in me as a friend follow me under my leadership rather than people who are doing it just cuz I'm royalty or something, it seems like those who would be following me cuz of things that I've inspired them to do would defend and believe in me much more than people who I've forced to defend or fight for me, as those kinds of people may grow tired of me and try to do something drastic, like take power for themselves. People who I've inspired myself wouldn't do that, or at least would be a lot less likely to do that. 

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

I agree with the quote. Leaders making difficult, unpopular decisions would be better received if the people governed understood the reasons behind the decisions (assuming the people had the maturity and intelligence for it). If everyone was on the same page and had a clear understanding, rather than being uninformed and obliged to follow decisions they don't understand, they'd likely respond more favorably. But that's part of 'inspiring others to stand with you.' Make it feel like it's a team effort rather than a dictatorship and things will work a lot more smoothly.