Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Closed captioning

FirePuppy

Does anyone here heard of or know about closed captioning? It is text that transcribes dialogue and describes sound effects. I actually got addicted to it ever since the last decade. The use of closed captioning varies company by company. For example:

The Caption Center's style

( whispering ):                                                   ( giggling ):

PLEASE OPEN THE DOOR!                  WASN'T THAT FUNNY?

The National Captioning Institute's style

[WHISPERING]                                 HEE HEE!

Please open the door!                       WASN'T THAT FUNNY?

Source: http://main.wgbh.org/wgbh/pages/mag/services/captioning/faq/sugg-styles-conv-faq.html

I typically use it because I times I don't understand what the person is saying. Other times its because people around me are so loud I can't hear it. Either that or its a song and I want to know the lyrics

I used it sometimes. I'm not deaf or anything, but there are times when I can't hear what is being said. I don't like just turning up the volume because some movie parts can be louder than others at times. >< So, I use the closed captioning to make it easier. 

I usually use them, not because I'm hard of hearing, but because I'm very flighty when I watch TV shows. To put it very lightly: I'm the reason "jingling car keys" is a style of writing nowadays.

So I need CC to focus on what the show's about.

I find closed captions annoying when watching something live on TV like sports or news; it can sometimes take a bit for what's being said to be transcribed. But I don't mind it in movies or TV shows, especially if it's late at night and I don't want the volume to be very loud.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...

I used to use it when I did not understand English well enough. I also use subtitles or captions on video games (because if I missed some piece of dialog I can rewind a movie, not so much with a game).

I prefer watching a movie or anime in te original language - if I do not understand the language, then I'll have subtitles on.

I have a CC decoder I can use with lasrdiscs or video tapes that have captions.

I use it whenever possible. I like to make absolutely sure I know what they're saying.

Even despite the occasional gaffe. E.g., mine once referred to WWE's Roman Reigns as "Roman Rapes" (no joke).

Edited by Anti-Villain

I often use them mostly when the TV can't be too loud. I also like them because there are times when I can often mishear certain words... so the captions help me see that what they said was or wasn't what I thought.

• 1 year later...