Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does/did anyone you know serve in the military?

CandyCorn

I'm just curious because my dad served in the Vietnam War. He wasn't on the front lines or anything... I can't remember what he did. >< This applies to anyone who has served in the past or is still serving in the war today.

Edited by Fangirl Mode
  • Brohoof 1

Two of my...grand-uncles? idk if that's what they'd be...served in WW2. One landed in Sicily and ended up with a ton of shrapnel in his foot so he came home pretty fast, the other was in Belgium I think, not sure.

• Brohoof 1

Yes, a few of my family members have served in the US Army before. My older brother served in the Military a few years back, however, he was given an honorable discharge, due to medical reasons. There is also my brother-in-law, who is serving in the Air Force, but plans on finding a different career path. Finally, my great grandfather served in World War 2 as an aircraft technician, though he passed away a few years ago.

• Brohoof 1

My dad was in the army in I think the late 70s to early 80s. His service was apparently mostly peaceful, he mostly just talks about all the food he ate and alcohol he drank in Germany.

Two of my cousins (brothers on my dads side) served. The older one was a Navy chef but I think he retired after he had a son. Not sure what the first did. 

I'm also directly related to Banastre Tarleton on my mothers side but of course he's been dead for nearly 200 years 

• Brohoof 1

wait are we talking about ourselves or our family? The title needs to be rename if we are talking about our family.

Edited by TBD
  • Brohoof 1

Canadian here. Used to live in Victoria, BC, where Canada's primary Pacific naval base is located. My father was an officer in the Navy and a number of my friends either were or still are in the Forces, some of whom saw postings on ships patrolling the Persian Gulf.

• Brohoof 1

A lot of my family served.  My grandfather was nearly killed on D-Day. His barge hit a mine. Of 100 people on the barge, 10 survived. He was thrown into the water and had managed to tangle his arm in a lifeline tossed to him before he lost consciousness. If he died, I wouldn't have been born.

My uncle meanwhile was a pilot for the 101st Airborne Division, The Screaming Eagles. He operated in the vietnam war and was shot down 11 times. He survived.

• Brohoof 2

My mother was training to be in the military briefly when she was about 19-ish. She never finished it though. I can't remember if one or both of my great-grandfathers fought in a war, I coulda swore at least one of them did.. 

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Lucky Bolt said:

My mother was training to be in the military briefly when she was about 19-ish. She never finished it though. I can't remember if one or both of my great-grandfathers fought in a war, I coulda swore at least one of them did.. 

Which is one of the reasons I'm scared of her.

My grandpa on my dad's side was in the Korean War, one of my uncle's on my dad side was in Vietnam and one on my mom's side went through boot camp during Vietnam but by the time he got out, war was over.

• Brohoof 1

My grandpa was in the Navy but never saw any fighting. My great grandpa served in WW2 but I don't know a lot of the details. The farthest back recorded service in my family goes all the way back to the Revolutionary War. My great great (5 or 6 'greats') grandpa who was Lt. and then Capt. in 5th Reg. under Major Elisha Sheldon and Thomas Buell of Lighthorse in N.Y. campaign assisted in the surrender of Burgoyne, and was at the battle of Saratoga and capture of N.Y. in 1776.

My great aunt did all the research on that last one and it always fascinated me because it's so far in the past. 

Edited by Dreambiscuit
  • Brohoof 3

My family has a few members who served in the military. Two of my family members have served in the Marines, one is a veteran who served in Vietnam.

My family member who is a veteran from Vietnam, my grandpa, sadly suffers from PTSD and very bad heart issues (I think he had to get an implant it was so bad). He most likely got his heart issues from being around agent orange, a toxic chemical mixture deployed by the military in the Vietnam War. As for the PTSD, I think he got it from being right in the middle of the combat in the Vietnam War, where he was forced to kill or be killed and where he saw some of his friends and comrades die. He still dreams of being in the combat even though far more than 30 years have passed, and he has to sleep alone now. Vietnam was no joke, war is no joke, this is very serious stuff we are talking about. My Grandpa could have been seriously wounded and in gruesome pain, or even killed. Thankfully he wasn't.

I don't know how accurate this video is, but it should give you a general idea of what my Grandpa had to worry about - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4cLiV_o8Go

The other family member who served in the marines served as a radio operator most of his time there. Even though that isn't a huge life-threatening job, he has some back pains because of it.

I also have a friend who recently joined the Marines, and he is currently training in boot camp.

I also know a few members in my church who served in the military, some in the Navy, the Army, and the Marines.

Edited by EpicEnergy
  • Brohoof 2

Both of my siblings were in the military. My brother was in the Army, but he got a medical discharged during basic due to sclerosis. My sister was in the Marines, but it apparently didn't go too far, as she got out of the military years ago. I also believe that one of my brother's friends served in the Army, but I don't know what happened to him, and that I heard about one of my classmates serving in the Navy, but I can't really confirm that.

As for myself, I'm not remotely patriotic enough. Not to mention I'm under weight (they have a minimum weight of 135, at least that's what my brother said on the Army), and I'd be totally unable to survive the training, let alone actual deployment. 

• Brohoof 1

First and foremost, both of my grandfathers served. One of my uncles did as well. A few ow my cousins have served, along with a handful of friends from school. Personally, I wouldn't want to be in the military (not that I'm not patriotic, i'm just not in good enough shape).

Edited by Pat 'The Blizzard' Thundersnow
  • Brohoof 1