Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

open A New Kingdom

Jedishy

Luna heard a familiar voice coming from behind her and froze. Of course, tonight was a study night. All the excitement of the other alicorn's return had wiped the memories clean from her mind. It was easy to over-invest in the moment when you know how easy it is for you to detach yourself once the moment passes. She was hoping to have some time to look into an anomaly she had noticed in the dream world, but her lessons would easily eat through that time. It was then that Luna was inspired.

"Urania!"  Luna greeted back as she turned to face her student, the emotions of her meeting melting away, and she was glad to move on to a situation she had more control over. She then took on a more serious tone when she noticed how tardy she was, "Hmm... you are late, but I too was caught up in other duties to set up for today's lesson, so there will be no consequences this time. Just don't make a habit out of it."

"However, there are still things to be done, if you'll follow me," Luna said as she turned and extended a wing to gesture her to follow.

"My apologies Princess. It won't happen again." she said, full well knowing this probably won't be the last time. She quickened her step, her tiny legs not being as fast as the tall alicorn.

She was quite surprised that Luna still had something planned for the evening. Usually she would be occupied by her nightly duties, guarding the big and wide worlds of all equestrian dreams. Excited, Urania was for sure. Maybe this meant the princess had something special planned? On the other hoof, she had quite a long journey behind her and she was finally starting to feel the exhaustion. She hadn't noticed how tired she felt with all the stress of being late.

She tried to hide a big yawn by looking to her side, pretending to study the stained glass even though she had seen it many times walking through the castle. Turning back her head, she noticed her mentor seemed to look a bit drained as well. Whatever those duties were today, they must have been important.

Edited by Pucksterv

Luna took note of her student's fatigue. She often found it amusing that mortals still thought they could hide these innocent little things from her. Oddly enough, Luna was so used to seeing through people's facades that if Urania made no attempt to hide her yawn then Luna might not have noticed. As it was, Luna slowed her pace for her student's benefit. The change was obvious, such things were difficult to be seamless in, though her sister still had a knack for it.

"You seem a little spent today, Urania," Luna said with a faint smile, trying to make conversation to fill the time as they methodically made their way to her observatory, "Lucky for you that today's lesson won't be strenuous. Relaxing, even. But you'll see that soon enough. Tell me, have you heard of the new kingdom yet? I've been told that word travels fast nowadays, but I'd like to gage that for myself and make sure my student is in the loop for such eventful things," She asked as they both approached a heavy stone door tinted a subtle blue with large silver hinges, knockers, and knobs. After her return to Equestria, her sister insisted that she take part in a redecorating of the castle. Much of the design was marble and gold trim to complement the working ruler, so Luna didn't want to stray too far from that. So most of the things she had a hoof in were remade in lapis dyed granite, and silver trim.

She opened the doors herself, no science in making her student exert herself today, and gestured for her to enter first.

"I was visiting my grandfather all week in Manehatten so I've been out of the loop for a bit." Urania replied as she stepped into the observatory. She quietly put down her saddlebags in the corner and stretched her back a bit. She was glad she didn't have to carry that weight around for a bit.

Wait... did she just say new kingdom? Her thoughts were so focused on home that she almost didn't catch that part. Honestly, if she wasn't so caught up with her family matters, she would have noticed an entire kingdom appearing out of nowhere. Or at least she would have heard about it. She felt a bit of guilt bubbling up in her stomach. She hasn't been able to focus on her studies recently and she knew Luna had noticed. And now this too? Her grandpa's sudden drop in health was surely a distraction. Not that it was his fault, he of course didn't want to get sick either. And she could see it in his face while she was there. He felt guilt as well, for worrying her.

"I haven't heard, no. Although I did notice an unusually amount of ponies at the station today..." She said with a sad smile, mumbling half of her sentence to herself. "I guess that's a pretty big deal. Will you be traveling there then? I'm assuming you and Princess Celestia would like to meet the rulers."

Edited by Pucksterv

"On the contrary, they've come to see us,"  Luna said idly as she gathered a tome off of a skylit pedestal at the center of the room. Unlike the door, the curved walls and domed ceiling were made from a more common material, with a lighter shade of blue that was clearly picked for how it looks in the moonlights, which, sadly, wasn't out yet. That soon changed as Luna felt Celestia's magic reach the heavens to move the sun, and synchronized her own magic with that of her sister's and razed the moon.

"They will be here for a ceremony tomorrow evening. We can extend an invitation if you're interested. It is sure to be a landmark in our history," Luna continued as she opened the book and arranged the wall mounted telescope to a pre-marked angle. "Today, we are going to learn about a very special constellation, and in turn, a very special dream."

Cadence walked off the train from the Crystal Empire, breathing in the air from Canterlot, "It's good to be home-back.  It's good to be back...The Crystal Empire is my home now, with all the crystal ponies..."  she murmured to herself, unnoticing of the ponies looking her way as she trotted off towards the castle.  She took a breath when she was close to the castle, raising her hoof, and releasing it as she pointed her hoof out, a self-calming technique she made to help Twilight and adopted herself.  "It will be fine.  It's not really a big deal to come unannounced.  You are basically their niece after all.  They will understand, and then I can meet this new king and queen, and finally get some idea of where to start helping her new kingdom.  "Alright.  Here I go."  She walked in, following up to the throne room.  "Auntie Tia?  Luna?"  she called.  She bit her lip in thought when no pony answered.  She looked to some soldier roaming the halls, "Excuse me but do either one of you know where the princesses are...well, the other princesses?"  The two nodded, talking about Luna in her observatory.  Cadence nodded her thanks, walking off to find the observatory.  "Luna?"  she called.

Derpy stepped off the train a few minutes after Cadence's left, looking up at the giant castle, "Sometimes, I wonder if they eat muffins for breakfast like I do..."  Derpy murmured, looking at her letter, "Let's see, just have to find a...Urania somewhere, and then I can be back to waiting..."  she sighed, "Well, at least I have the whole day with nothing better t-wah!"  she tripped over the steps, falling down them onto the ground.  Some unicorns laughed at her expense, "Great...wonderful...just another part of an awful day..."  she sighed, shaking her head after she did so, "Don't get down in the dumps.  After all, a positive pony has positive times, right, Doctor?"  She smiled, before her ears drooped a bit, "I just...miss you so much."  she admitted, head lowered as she went around, asking anypony she could who Urania could be.  Most unicorns stuck their nose up to her.  Finally, a kind unicorn stallion gave an answer, "If I remember correctly, Dear Pegasus, that unicorn is in the castle.  Rumors say that she is going to be hoof selected a princess like Luna."  Derpy's eyes grew to saucers at the news.  She shook her head a moment.  'It's only Canterlot gossip.' She reminded herself, but gossip always held a seed of truth.  The pony may be in the castle yet, "Thank you!"  she called, flying off towards the castle.

Urania followed the princess with curious eyes as she picked up the tome in the center of the room. This was her favourite part of her lessons, watching the princess raise the moon. The shining rays of moonlight falling on her star filled mane, enlightening the beauty and elegance that she was. It enchanted the small unicorn every time, reminding her how unbelievably breathtaking her mentor really was. She had respect for her, full knowing the story of the two sisters. Really, she wished more ponies would appreciate the night because there was nothing quite as beautiful as a sky filled with stars.

Luna's voice snapped her out of her spiral of admiration, focusing back on the mare in front of her. "It would be an honor to be invited to the ceremony, princess. Although I do not understand why an unimportant mare like myself would be attending such a... regal event." 

Upon hearing what the princess had planned for this lesson, Urania smiled excitingly. 

"Now you have me curious," Luna said with a raised eyebrow, "if my sole student isn't regal enough for a ceremony, then I would have to ask who is, or do you see me as a commoner with a crown?"

Luna wondered if what Urania was suffering from impostor syndrome. Celestia had told her to watch out for it when Luna asked her for advice on mentoring. Apparently, it was enough to drive away another of Celestia's prodigy's before Twilight, so Luna decided not to take it lightly. She wanted to be upfront about it, but that could force her student into a state of hyper self-consciousness, and she would constantly second-guess herself as nothing would feel secret to her. Celestia often worried if she caused that to happen in Twilight but she appears to mostly be passed that if she ever did suffer from it. Luna wasn't going to take that chance. She would approach the issue with tact. A question here and a gotcha there. Always leaveing an out for her student until Urania could see the issue for herself. 

Luna's horn lit up for a dream walking ritual as her magic reached for a constellation that lurked beyond the horizon, shining down on a vast ocean. The constellation glowed in a way it hadn't for thousands of years.  The stars seemed to have a mind of their own and protested against the ritual, but Luna was strong. Even though she hadn't performed the ritual in years, she still won out, and the constellation was open for passage.

• Brohoof 1

Urania was quite taken back by the response. Sure she was a student of the princess Luna but there wasn't much else to her social status than that. Urania was still just an ordinary unicorn, she wasn't the kind of mare that liked to put herself above others. But hearing what the princess said made her smile a little to herself, to think her mentor thought so highly of her. It made her feel proud.

"No of course not, princess. My apologies." She smiled. "I guess I am still not used to being of somewhat importance." Back in Manehatten, between the sea of the ponies, one small filly's live is insignificant. No one would notice if she appeared one day and disappeared the next.

Urania watched in awe as Luna's horn lit up most of the observatory as she reached for the stars, literally. This was something unlike she had ever seen and to be able to experience it was absolutely incredible. "I still have so much to learn." Urania mumbled to herself, eyes still wide open from amazement.

Cadence came into the observatory, suddenly aware of the magic that reached for the stars.  Confused, her eyes glided from her Aunt to the unicorn she hadnt been introduced to.  "Pardon my intrusion..."  she spoke, hoping to get their attention, "i hope im not interupting anything hugely important.  I just hoped to find out more about the new country i have heard about."  She finished with a sheepish grin, realizing too late that this would probally seem rude.  It may have even be seen as rude not to check ahead first, but her curiosity had gotten the better of her.  "Of course, i could come back if you need me too, or show me where the rulers of the new land are.  And then you can go back to...whatever you are trying to do..."  she shut her mluth tight to try to stip herself talking more.  Maybe this wasn't such a good idea.

Derpy walked up to the gates of the castle.  She had jever been inside a castle before.  She was both excited ajd terrified at the same time.  The kniguts beside the doors watched her intently.  "What is your reason for coming to the castle?"

"I have mail for Urania." Derpy showed the guards the letter, and they allowed her entry.  The gigantic main hall was enough to take her breath away.  "Wow!  Its amazing!"  She breathed before walking forward, "I just need to find this pony...and maybe asj for a tour.  It could be something amazing to tell the Doctor when he comes back.

• Brohoof 1

Luna was swiftly interrupted from her ritual by none other than princes Cadence. Her concentration shattered and, as a result, her magic dissolved. The glow of the distant constellation faded, the passage was closed, and the stars that kept it open were back to their dominant behavior. A set back, but it wouldn't end the night.

"Mrs. Cadenza," Luna said shocked, "what are you doing here?"

Luna had assumed that Celestia had already given cadence an invitation for the ceremony. What was she doing here? Then Luna asked herself how she got here so fast, and it all became much more clear. Cadence must have heard news of the new kingdom before the invitation was sent and sought us out. She might have even heard about the new kingdom before Luna herself did for Cadence to have arrived so quickly.

"I'm so sorry, Urania, but you must excuse us while I see what is troubling Princess Cadence here. We'll be back to our lesson soon,"  Luna said as she motioned for Cadence to follow her outside of the observatory.

• Brohoof 1

Cadence noticed the sudden stop of the magic.  Without knowing how, she realized that she had stopped something...sinething possibly important.   She looked between Luna and the unicorn, realixation dawning on her, "Wait...is this unicorn your student?  Like Twilight is Celestia's?!"  She bounced a bit in excitement, "I hadn't heard."  She realized she got a bit off track.  She knew that she and Celestia were much closer than her and Luna.  She didn't know Luna but for a few short years.  Most of those years Cadence had been busy planning her wedding.  She had so many questions about her new pupil, and, more than anything, get to know Luna as well.  "She can come with us too.  I would love to hear how you both met, and how her studies are coming along."  She leaned down to look at the unicorn, "I used to babysit Twilight when she was filly.  She would spend hours telling me her favorite stories.  I miss those days."  She gave a sad smile.  It was a simpler time.  "Sorry, lost in a daze."  She said just a few minutes after.

Urania raised a confused eyebrow at the words of princess Cadence. She was leaned down and she mentioned babysitting... it felt like one of those cases again, where she was mistaken as a filly. Honestly she couldn't blame her, she was rather petite looking. But it was enough to make her bite her tongue in anger. 

"I... wouldn't want to disturb any official business. Besides, I can take this opportunity to take my baggage to the guest room." Urania quickly spoke, mostly towards her mentor. "It was a pleasure to meet you, Princess Cadence. If you'll excuse me." She bowed down swiftly without once daring to look her in the eyes. Lifting her bag off the ground and onto to her back, she disappeared into the hallway before either one of them could say anything else.

"pff the nerve... I know she is the princess of the crystal kingdom but still. Some ponies have no-" Her quiet mumbling was quickly interrupted when she heard a voice echo through the hallway. "Hello?" Urania's voice reflected into the main hall along with her hoofsteps. There stood a cute grey Pegasus, ditsy eyes taking in the beautiful sight in front of her. It reminded Urania of the first time she came to the castle, she must have had the same wonderstruck daze.

"Can I help you with something?" she said as she approached the mare. 

Cadence looked down.  Dhe had obviously upset the pony.  Hurt, and worried that she was only making things worse, she sighed, "I'm so sorry, Luna.  I didn't mean to upset her.  I was just trying to make conversation..."  Truth be told, she was trying to find some common ground with the unicorn, and it didnt end the way she expected.

Derpy was so busy marveling at the sheer beauty of the gorgeous interior, that she hadn't realized that there was a pony within feet of her until said pony spoke.  Startled, the pegasus jumped high into the air, before looking at the Unicorn in shock.  The shock slowly ebbed away when she realized it was another piny, wondering for a moment what she uad been expecting to see.  She had defiantly spent too much time with the Doctor...or not enough time at this point. She held up the letter ti her, "Um, My name is Derpy Hooves, and there was a letter that had a letter come to Ponyville by mistake, so i thought i would bring it here myself.  I probally could have just dropped it off at the Canterlot branch."  She realized outloud, "but...i didn't think about that until, well....just now.  Sorry.  Anyway, since I'm already here, i wajted ti make sure to get it to Urania that is somewhere in the castle!"  Derpy was a bit worried.  She was hoping this would have taken more time.  She didn'twant ti go hime yet.  "Do you know where she is?"

"Ah hehe, that's me." Urania smiled to the grey mare. "Thank you so much for going through to the trouble of delivering the letter to me personally. I really appreciate it." She took the letter from the mare and stuffed it into to her bag. She noticed the mare kinda looked sad, worried even. 

"Derpy right? Do you have to go back home right away? If you still had some time, I could show you around the castle. B-but only if you would like to of course." The princess hadn't called her back yet so she figured she still had some time left to show the kind pegasus around. She did after all come all the way down here, would be harsh to send her away immediately.

"If you want, we could even look at some of stained glass art. They're really beautiful." Urania smiled again, hoping to put the mare at ease.

"Really?  You wouldn't mind?"  Derpy askedm. Her heart soared.  Anything was better than going back to the empty lot by the house, instead of the beautiful blue box that she missed more and more every day, "I've never seen stained glass before."  She beamed excitedly.  But, a moment later, she remembered exactly who she was, and her worry took her for a moment, "But, um...I'm a little clumsy...what if i accidentally break one?"  

To her, it was a real possibility.  Not long ago, she was practicing her storm technique, and may have accidentally made the town hall worse.  She had broken, smashed, and dquashed way too many things while tume and space traveling with the Doctor.  She was stuck between wanting to see the beauty, and worried that she would he the most likely to destroy it.  Time traveling with the doctor...her mind drifted to weather or not he had been to this castle in the past of the future...he would love to see it too.  A look of sadness crossed her face before she shook her head a bit, "um...if you don't mind that, then i would love to come."  She nodded.

"I'm afraid that's partially my fault Mrs. Cadenza. You see, my teaching style is very direct, and the work I do, even though I work with foals, is very serious. You probably came on too strong for her,"  Luna reassured, "it also doesn't help that she idolizes royalty, but that's a given these days. The crown is a very imposing thing without some glory to your name, and in these times of peace, there isn't much glory to go around."

As Luna spoke, she thought wistfully. Perhaps she had been too direct in her studies, perhaps she had taken too young of an apprentice, but the filly showed so much promise in her dream that she couldn't take any chances letting the opportunity pass by. Luna had done the best she could with her, but she couldn't shake the feeling that there was something missing in her lessons. She then remembered her student's impostor syndrome and smiled gently. Perhaps great minds thought alike.

Meanwhile, a silver-maned, clearly aged pony was about to lie down for bed when he got a letter from his son. It read,

"Dearest father,

I, along with a great portion of the silver family, have been invited to see the official introduction of the new royals to Equestria. Even though you didn't get an official invitation, I am willing to overlook your fall from favor and bring you along as my plus one. A great majority of the gold family will also be attending, so you better be on your best behavior. I mean it when I say we are all sick of your shenanigans and precarious games. You're a grown man, father, and I shouldn't have to tell you that if you mess this up there will be Tartarus to pay!

Your son,

Silver Back."

"My own son," The stallion said, disappointed, "even you lack the vision to see the forest instead of the trees."

Edited by Loud Opinion

"Oh...I see."  Cadence felt a bit uncomfortable.  Mrs. Cadenza...like she was a stranger...the cold distance showed in her mind's eye with luna being across an ocean, and Cadence having no way across.  Her imagining passed after a moment, and she let out a breath, "Call me Cadence, please."  She pleaded with her aunt, "I mean, we are pretty much family since Auntie Tia took me in when i first earned my horn....look, I know we haven't had a lot of time to talk, but I would also like to get to know you, too...maybe we can star gaze together sometime."  Cadence beamed hefore she realized she was getting off topic once again.  "After meeting the new royalty, that is.  The truth is, running the Crystal Kingdom has some hardships.  The crystal ponies can't remember what they went through with Sombra, but there is truama there.  A lot of them have left, or keep me at hoof's length.  I sometimes wonder if they even want me and shining there...we did just sort of show up and starting ruling, even if it was to protect them from Sombra...anyway, I am hoping that we can learn more from the new royalty to help my new subjects."  She nodded, wondering if she might be talking too much.

Edited by Janicethelight

"Hmmm," Luna sounded as she was struck with another spout of inspiration. That makes two in one day. Luna was beginning to wonder just how much benefit she could squeeze out of a single event as she continued with a smile, "Funny that you should mention your subjects lacking memory. I was actually about to traverse the dream world to investigate a very rare type of dreamer alongside my student. If you come along then you might just get an insight into your problem. While I'm sure that our guests would hold some invaluable information, given that their citizens still have all of their memories from that time, but this expedition of mine might hold an important piece of the puzzle."

Meanwhile, in a coastal town, a young stallion with a mane that sown like a thin layer of fresh honey had just returned home opened his mailbox to find a parchment scroll of the highest quality, sealed with royal wax in the shape of the royal solar seal. The stallion would have been more excited if he hadn't assumed it was a prank at first. Raising his eyebrows in surprise, the stallion opened it up to see that it was indeed, from Princess Celestia herself. He hadn't gotten an invitation like this in years ever since he flew the coop to make it on his own.  The gold family was very influential as gold was a major component of the royal aesthetic. Anywhere you could put trim or accents on a piece of royal property, you could find gold straight from the gold family inventory, and he, Gold Dust, was the star child of that family. Or, he would be if he didn't leave to find a more independent life for himself. Apparently, this was important enough to involve all blood relatives. Not just those that had the same influence in high society. Indeed it was, for this invitation was for the official introduction of a new nation to Equestria. Gold Dust made it appoint to take the first train to Canterlot tomorrow.

cadence listend intently to her younger aunt.  The thought of entering the dream world sounded amazing.  She imagined the things she could see there.  Her mind thoughts of her citizens dreams holding the key, drifting off for a brief moment to think about her husband's dream as well before she set her mind back on course.  Plus, she would have time with her Aunt.  How could she say no?

but, she thought of the unicorn she met before...the unicorn already seemed unhappy that Cadence showed up.  Cadence imagined how Twilight would have been upset if someone intruded on a special lesson with Celestia.  Cadence bit her lip.  On one hoof, this was a golden opportunity.  On the other, this was a lesson for a student, and Cadence was barging in.  

"It sounds like a wonderful idea, Aunt Luna....but i am worried that your student may feel robbed of personal time with you..."  she answered, "So, if you are okay with it, we can ask how she feels about my joining.  If she doesn't mind, then I would he delighted to join.  However, if she does, I will step back and perhaps join you next time...."  She wanted to go.  She wanted to go so badly it hurt, but she couldn't barge in without the young unicorn's okay.  It didn't seem right.

Edited by Janicethelight

(sorry for the long post and amount of dialogue)
Urania smiled and gestured the mare to follow her. "Don't worry about the stained glass. I am pretty sure you won't be able to break them. I know because I've tried... or well, not tried but you know.. I'm not also not the most, lets say coordinated pony myself." She scratched her head as she tried to laugh away her embarrassment. "It was on my first day here too..."

How long ago was it, a year, maybe already two had pasted since then. She couldn't recall very well, time had a way of passing her by too quickly. But she does remember that first day. She had left her coat at home even though her grandfather had insisted she'd bring it. It had been way too hot outside for the past month, how was she suppose to know summer decided to take a break that day. She was standing outside platform 1 at the Manehatten station, clutching her bag as she shivered on her tiny legs. The train had been delayed for another 10 minutes and the student were beginning to get anxious. Urania didn't mind except for the cold. She liked observing the ponies around her.

"...there is no way for anypony to break the glass since it was build and protected by magic..."

Urania was half asleep, leaning with her head against window. Half listening to the ponies around her and half observing the fast moving surroundings outside her. "I heard they were looking for a new student to fill an internship at the castle since the last one left and moved to Ponyville." One of the mares seated behind her babbled to her friend. "Ooh do you think I'd have a chance at it?" her friend replied excitedly. "hmm, I doubt it. I have the highest grade in the class after all." The mare said in a bragging tone. "hmm really? Last time I checked Urania still has you beat by 250 points." "Pfff, like they'd ever take a weirdo like her." The two mares giggled at each other.

"You do you know I can hear you right." Urania grumbled quietly, her faces still stuck against the glass. The girls continued laughing. She sighed, eyes following the tree line as her eyelids slowly drifted close.

"...luckily princess Celestia reassured me that many times."

"And this one is quite new. I am sure you all have heard about the adventures my student and her friends." Celestia chuckled proudly as her wing pointed at the stained glass. Urania was furiously scribbling in her notebook, trying to redraw the masterpiece in front of her. "Hey look where you're going, you idiot." Lost in her notes. she bumped into the two classmates from before. "Whatever." she scuffed back. "Hmm she's got a lot of nerve." One of the mares said as she slapped the notebook out of her hooves. "hey! What was that for!?"

"Girls, could you quite down back there?"

Urania sighed and nodded, picking up her notebook. She quickly returned to the rest of the group but not before she 'casualy' bumped into the mare as she walked by, this time on purpose "Oops." she said sarcastically as she stuck out her tongue and turned her head. Next thing she knew she was thrown against one of the windows with a loud bang. She couldn't remember much after that, she just somehow ended up at the nurse station. More worried about the glass than her own head.

Somehow that brought her here. Almost standing in the same spot as 2 years ago. The moonlight outside shone through the stained glass window, decorating the floor with dancing colours. She was pretty sure she could hear the grey pegasus gasping in wonder.

"Sure brings back memories." Urania smiled.

(Ohhhhh, nice backstory!)

Derpy couldn't help but laugh a bit despite herself, "If there was a way to hreak it, I would he the one to find that way..."  she murmured.  Her confudence was shoy, and she knew it.  She wondered what happend with Urania, "You can talk about it if you want to.  I know it helps me when i do something clumsy, since then i know what to look out for next time.  My friend, the doctor, taught...me..."  Her ears lowered as she realized that, for the first time since he left, she talked about the Doctor to anyone.  Her heart heavy, she shut her eyes, refusing to cry to a new friend.  What could she say if she did loose it now?  'Sorry, but my special somepony is currently somewhere in time and space trying to locate and fix some sort of temperal disturbamce, and didn't want to bring me because it would mean possibly taking me out of my timeline, but now i don't have him in my timeline and all I get are letters, and he said he would come back soon, but soin could mean a day or a thousand years to the Doctor...yeah, nopony would think that is crazy.'  She knew she would have to say something.

breathing, she looked up to Urania, "...sorry, the doctor...left Equestria some time ago' before Discord.  He went to look for something.  He wasn't sure how long it would take, and didn't want me to leave the ponies that are my friends, so....he left without me....without even telling me he was going.  Anyway, he hasn't been back yet.  I get letters every so often, but, the truth is....I miss him."  She admitted. "And sometimes, i think he might just...not want to be with me anymore, and he just doesn't want to say it..."

Luna had to agree. It was Urania's lesson, so it should be she who decides who to bring along with her. "Of course. It's only right that Urania should have a say in it." Also, it will be interesting to see what she decides. On one hoof, if she agrees then it could mean that she's opening up socially allowing her focus to switch away from the direct instructor instructed dynamic they've established. On the other hoof, if she denies Cadence, it could mean many things. She could either be standing up to authority, meaning that Luna was too direct in stomping out her impostor syndrome and now seeks a state of hyper-independence, or she could be avoiding an outside perspective disrupting what she sees as a delicate facade.

Perhaps Luna was being too invested in her student's life, but how invested was too much? The fate of the world could rest on her as it did on Twilight. It was times like these when Luna wished she had her sisters uncanny ability to accurately predict the future. It would make decisions like this so much less precarious. "Only time will tell," Luna said out loud, more to herself than anything.

At first Urania was a bit confused by Derpy's story. Much of it didn't make sense. However the feeling of missing the pony most important to you, she did understand that. Hearing her talk about her doctor as she called him, made her chest hurt for just a small second like someone pierced it with a tiny needle. It reminded her of the love she felt for her family, for the ones that were there but far away and the ones that weren't there at all but still held a place in her heart. And even the love she felt for her mentor, seeing her not just a teacher but a mother figure in many ways as well.

"It's okay to miss someone, especially the kind of pony that is special to you. And this doctor, he really does sound like somepony special. So I am sure that whatever it is he must do out there, his final goal is to come back to you. He might be far away right now but he is still close to your heart." She gently put a hoof on the mare's shoulder, hoping she wasn't overstepping any boundaries. 

"Somewhere we know that without silence, words would lose their meaning. Without listening, speaking no longer heals and without distance, closeness cannot cure. He will be there, family always finds a way."

• 2 weeks later...

If only things were so perfect. Derpy looked downward and did her best to swallow her sorrows. She only met this young mare moments ago. What would she think if she just fell apart on her? No, what are friends for if you can't open up to them? But what was she to say? Her beloved outlived the heavens above. What if he forgot that she was still alive? No pony would understand that fear.

As derpy thought this, her eyes began to well up, and she embraced Urania tightly, desperate for any comfort she could get. "But what if he-" Derpy tried to sob out, "what if he forgot-" but she started to choke up and she had to extend the last word out, "about me." Again she continued, strained through tears and heartache, "He's been with so many mares... I- I-" That was all she could manage, not wanting to overdo it in front of her new friend.

• Brohoof 1