Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

open A New Kingdom

Jedishy

" Its ok. So want to be my plus one to the ceremony? At least that way we can stick togeather until its time to plan and move forward with checking on the doctor. My sister wont be coming with us as one of us has to stay and watch over our Kingdom. And well she is a bit better at it then myself. My job forces me to travel a lot. So its much harder for me to be in charge of things. Especially during fall and winter. " 

Thanos wondered if he was going to have to do anything " work-related " on the trip to check on Derpys friend. He hoped not as she did not seem the type to listen to the command to stay away from such events. And well she would likely freak out seeing him have to take a soul. He really wished there was some guidebook to all of this. He hated how bad he was at it and how scary it seemed for everypony. With a sigh, he got to his hooves firmly under him and used a bit of magic to try to clean up the mess he made. The crack was a bit more than he wanted to risk trying but the water cleared away fairly easily. Before he could ask Derpy what now his stomach let out a mighty rumble. 

• Brohoof 1

"W...well..."  Derpy started, still a bit perplexed by the aspect of heing asked to come as a plus one by a prince, "If you don't think I'll be any trouble...and the princesses don't mind...then of vourse I'll be your plus one.  Oh wait until the Doctor hears about this adventure.  Me, a simple mail pony sitting in a room with all of the princesses with my new friend that's also a prince.  It's like a fairy tale." She suddenly realized she said that out loud, blushing, "sorry.  It's just.  You akd the princesses...even the Doctor is so amazing...the only thing I'm ever good at is..." she looked over to the crack, "making a mess.  But...I still do my very best every day.  And I haven't lost anletter in a week...so I'm getting better." She noticed his yawn and laughed, "here I am going on and you are exhausted.  Here, I'll take you to bed." She started walking with him, hoping he was taking the oead since she had jo idea where his room was.  A smile crept on her face as she walked, "but you know...even with all the mistakes I make, the Doctor still wants me as his companion.  He chose me over anypony.  He says I'm a mare of infinite possibility...and though I don't quite understand what that means, it makes me feel warm when he says it.  It's like...I can do anything.  Before he came along, I didn't know what that felt like."

Thanos laughed and shook his head.

" What I need is food. Using my magic tends to make me hungry for some reason. As for it being ok for you to join as my plus one well I did not get any rules and the princesses seem friendly enough. Besides formal stuff is boring. Though you might not want to tell my sister I said that. She would think you are crazy. I lecture her all the time about protocols and formalities. But that is only because its the safest bet to fall back on. No one ever gets upset at niceties. They might tell you that they are not needed but that's about it. "

As he was talking the scent of scones and other breakfast foods wafted through the halls. He could tell it was near morning now and he was starving. He sniffed the air and tried to follow the scent. Wandering the halls of the castle he wondered if there was anything security or staff would have to say. Then he started to wonder how done up he had to be for this event. He had a lot of questions and only part of the day to get answers. 

• Brohoof 1

As her guests moved along to explore the garden where earth met memory, Luna heard a voice from above, distinct, breathy, and undoubtedly etherial. The constellation itself, despite most constellations preferring to communicate indirectly, was speaking, 'A spade that flexes, for your spells and hexes. bones that whisper, for you, my death resister.' An aged, clearly mortal voice came in response, "That should be the last of it. Am I missing anything?"

Luna didn't like this, stars conspiring with mortals never ended well. "Whoever thou would be, this is not your dream," Luna instructed with flared wings and magic searching for the intruders, "leave now for your own sake, if not out of fear for my intervention."

When the aged voice came back with a reply, Luna noticed not just two intruders as she expected, but three. The third one seemed to be lurking around. Whatever it was, it was strictly an observer from what Luna could tell, one that she would have to investigate later. "But it is my dream. The last things I need for my birthday present all in one place."

Birthday present? Whoever these intruders were they didn't seem rational. She would have to cut the dream short to ensure that this dream's dreamer wouldn't be in any danger.

Within moments, the stony landscape gave way to the royal observatory. With the sun shining through the window, Luna knew that that would be all of her duties for the night and that Celestia beat her to their routine of raising and lowering their respective heavenly bodies. "Sorry to cut our time short," Luna said, relieved to have averted a potential dilemma, " but a serious matter has come up that I will have to look into soon. The dream realm is off limits to non-dreaming ponies until I can resolve it."

• Brohoof 1

Cadence trotted around for some time, not seeming to find any pony that seened to he dreaming this dream.  She had gotten distracted by the hazy looking backround that seemed both clearly real and oddly fake at the same time.  It reminded her a bit of a pony play.  The setting was there enough to be understood, but too much notice of it would make a pony notice the small problems with it, and help notice that it wasn't as true to life as the actors might have you think.  It was while she was windering why this was that the princess of love found herself back in the observatory, wondering what it was that caused her aunt to stop the test.  Wasn't this important to her new student?  "What is the serious matter, Auntie Luna.  Maybe I can help?"

Derpy nodded with a bit of a yawn, "My lips are sealed when it comes to your sister." She winked.  Her own stomach grumbled in want when the smell of breakfast wafted through the ualls, including the unmistable smell of-

"Muffins!" she gasped happily, and with way more stregth than any pegasus should have aling with speed that would impress Rainbow Dash, she raced through the castle, following the fresh scent until she found her favorite treat.  Remembering to at least let Thanos down gently, she took two muffins, giving one to him. "Here you are, Thanos.  The best breakfast food ever made!"

Luna looked around to see both Urania and Cadence looking at her disappointedly. Cadences gaze though held more sympathy than disappointment. Luna could understand why. They had only just barely entered the dream and were already forced out of it.

"I'm sorry Urania," Luna said as she faced her student, "This isn't your fault, but the dream realm isn't safe enough for you. I'll call you back to further your studies once the matter is solved," Luna clarified as she turned to face Cadence as she voiced her concerns. "Some fiend has infiltrated the dream realm and they have an entire constellation to back them upThe dream realm may be my domain and we are strong forces compared to those of the villain, but in the real world, we are two royal alicorns." Luna explained stoically as she implied her acceptance of Cadences aide,  "We will no doubt have a much easier time facing this threat in the real world where its connection to the stars is weakest."

"Urania, this matter will be dealt with soon. Please feel free to stay in the palace until then so we can resume your studies."

Urania gave a dutiful nod and left the room.

• Brohoof 1

Thanos took the muffin with gratitude and wolfed it down. His training in magic was far from complete and the focus and energy he used to work his magic were way more than it actually required. He knew this but his training being half done and his role being a bit uncharted he wondered what would help him learn the control and refinement he needed. He was absentmindedly chewing on his muffin as he walked when he suddenly thump snoot first into a large wooden door. 

He had totally forgotten poor Derpy alongside him. He had been so wrapped up in his thoughts he totally forgot to watch where he was going let alone speak to his companion. He was sat down firmly by the door but managed onto the muffin. 

" Ouch Sorry Derpy. I got wrapped up in wondering how to control my magic I did not think where I was leading us. Do you have any idea where we are? "

• Brohoof 1

Cadence nodded to her auntie, nodding one more apology to Uriana as she followed Luna out.  Thoughts soared through her head in curiosity and worry.  How could any creature be able to go through the stars and worry Luna to this degree?  Had it said something that was making Luna worry more, and if so why keep it from her or Uriana?  Was she leading the way to Celestia?  More selfish questions slipped through as well as was there something she could do?  She had still felt like she had failed more than succeeded in the events of the crystal Empire despite what Celestia said.  She had kept a brave face for Twilight's sake, not wanting to worry her favorite sister in law, but the truth was that it was...disheartening to be weakened for much of it.  It had been even more disheartening now that she found herself ruler of a land she knew nothing about.  She loved having the opportunity to lead, but it all seemed so far so fast, and Cadence was still unsure about how to help the ponies feel more connected to this present time.  "How do you suggest we procede?  Should we tell Celestia now, or wait until she is finished with the summoning?

Derpy also took a few muffins, enjoying each and every morsel of their moist, sweet flavor.  She licked her lips in happiness when Thanos revealed that he had no idea where they were.  Derpy reacted with a nervous laugh,"To be honest...I have no idea."  Ponies like me don't often get to walk around the castle.  Well, except for the grand galloping gala, but I've only been to that once and it was during a year that they decided to hold it outside for reconstruction reasons...long story...I'm rambling aren't I..."  Another nervous laugh escaped her, "The Doctor is usually the one rambling.  Oh, sweet Celestia, do I miss the constant rambling..."  she sighed, getting back to the topic, "But, I'm guessing from the baked goods, we should be close to the dining room, right?"

• Brohoof 1

Sensing that she missed her friend Thanos made up his mind on a few things rather swiftly. He would travel to find this doctor friend of hers. If the doctor knew of time travel he might well be someone that has a connection to time or necromantic magic. Either one could be useful. More importantly Derpy had been kind to him. This was a favor he would return no matter what it cost. The second thing he had decided was that he would figure out friendship and royalty. He liked Derpy and he wanted friends. Finally, his sister was going to be ruling alone a bit longer than expected. He needed to explore Equestria more fully then anticipated if such ponies as the doctor were out there. 

" Well, we are either near a dining hall or maybe the kitchens. I can smell food on the other side of the door. The question is do we open it? I mean I figure the worst we risk is a talking to. If we get in real trouble just blame me. Royalty can't get too badly punished for getting lost in a new castle. "

Thanos chuckled and winked at the idea of being caught out of bounds like some foal trying to sneak Hearth Warming Eve candy 

"Well, that wouldn't be right.  I wouldn't want my friends throwing me under the carriage."  Derpy smiled, "Nope, I'll just tell them the truth.  I got very very lost and a wonderful prince tried to help me find my way...and then we both ended up lost."  She giggled a bit, easing up a bit, probably from having eaten, though her word slurred just a little as she gave a giant yawn, "It's a pretty funny story if you think about it!"  She gave a kind of tired laugh, snickering more than she really should about a joke, "But...I've always been a bit...directionally challenged.  My bad."  She rubbed her hooves with her eyes.  She felt so groggy.  She thought to herself that she might take a little power nap before the ceremony.  She shook her head to ignore her mind telling her to sleep, "Sorry, I guess I'm a bit tired."

"No," Luna said at the mention of Celestia, louder than she wanted to. After realising her outburst of volume she continued with a wavering tone, "uh, I mean, there's no need to get my sister involved. She's already busy with the preparations for the ceremony..." Luna trailed off to center herself before speaking in a more even tone, "Look, constellations never aline themselves with mortals under normal circumstances, especially while they are as unpopular as this one. The only reason I'm not dealing with this in the dream world is to avoid any surprises it might have. In broad daylight, the constellation will have no power, so whoever is aligned with it will not be prepared for a princess of Equestria, let alone two. It may be challenging to track him down, but certainly not dangerous enough to leave all of our thrones empty."

As Luna explained herself, she trotted up to the door to for Cadence expecting to lead her to a room where they could plan their destinations for their search. Even though she just explained why this wasn't going to be dangerous, Luna still couldn't shake the feeling that she's in over her head even with Cadences help.

When Luna pushed open the door though, she met some resistance and heard a thud. Quickly looking to see what blocked the progress of the door from opening more than the ninety degrees it already has, she moved the door out of the way to see, "Thanos?! I'm so sorry," Luna stammered out her apology, "I thought the halls would be empty so early in the morning."

Thanos rubbed is snoot and looked up a little apprehensively. 

" I hope I did not break some rule princess. I just dont sleep much and then I ran into Derpy here and we started talking and wandering about. Then I got hungry and sorta followed the smell of food. My sister won't wake until an hour or so after sunrise so normally I end up pacing around or reading at such times.

He looked over a Derpy with a smile and then remembered he had a  few questions to ask. 

" Princess might Derpy be a plus one for me to the ceremony. She was very kind to me in the short time that I have known her and I would like her to attend. Oh and well is there a planning meeting or anything to attend to first? I am a bit lost of the etiquette of such events

Thanos was clearly trying to fit in and get to know the ponies of Equestria. His upbeat demeanor was a  mask for the apprehension he still felt. Coupled with the exhaustion of his emotions earlier and the void walking and his knees trembled a bit from physical and mental exhaustion before having even taken in food. The muffin helped some but he was going to need more than this to face the long road ahead of him and his sibling. 

"Oh, there's no rule against either of those things..." Luna trailed off in realization as she remembered what she heard in the dream 'my death resister.' Perhaps this dream intruder showing up now wasn't a coincidence. She then regained her place in the conversation with a smile as she addressed Derpy, "We would be delighted if you would attend the ceremony miss Derpy." 

As Luna said the mare's name she couldn't help feeling awkward about it. She had heard of some funny names from ponies, but none so self-deprecating. That couldn't have been her real name, but at least she was taking it in stride, Luna thought to herself.

At the mention of another meeting, Luna came up with an idea. She could search for the dream invader while accompanying Thanos on his tour throughout Equestria. The only question now was if she should tell him about the potential plot against him. It took all of one second for her to decide that she should probably get all the information she could before trobling an already misplaced Thanos.

"Yes, there is indeed a meeting before the ceremony. If everyone would follow me, then we can go over Thanoses tour through Equestria."

cadence followed, her eyes resting on Thanos as Luna spoke.  Confusion swam through her as a feeling a familiarity came to her.  She had the sake feeling when she first set hoof in the Crystal Empire.  An unmistakable feeling that she had known it somewhere before, which was, of course, completely impossible.  The Crystal Empire.  Thanos.  Both had been lost for a thousand moons.  Celeatia knows she wasn't that old.  Though, she was found as a filly in her remote village...and she didn't have any memories before that moment.  She shook her head, amused by her thought.  'Yeah.  Sure.  I came from the Crystal Empire.' She took a moment, realizing she might have been lost in thought, but Thanos and Luna had heen talking, so they hadn't noticed.  "Hello, Prince Thanos.  I am Princess Cadence.  I am the new ruler of the Crystal Empire.  I have many questions for you, at a time that you find convienient...if you are willing to answer them.  Mostly about helping the Crystal ponies and all of their history and culture and anything really."  

Derpy felt faint.  Princess Luna had talked to her.  By name.  This was by far the best day ever....scratch that.  Second best.  She knew of the best.  "Oh, thank you Princess Luna.  I promise to do ky best not to break anything!" Shoot.  Shouldn't have said that out loud! Luna will get suspicious.  Wait.  She said that infront of three royal member.  One was her friend, and had accepted her clumsy nature.  The other two.  Would they throw her out now?!  "I mean...have you tried the muffins?!"

Thanos nodded and brushed Derpy with his wing in a show of support. He turned to face Princess Cadence and bowed low. 

" WE..... *ehem* I mean I am most honored to meet you Princess. I would be happy to share whatever I am able to with you. My people and your own were very close at one point. If you have somehow lost your histories we have several books and artifacts that were gifted to us by your Empire that we could ensure that you are able to study. It appears that both of our Kingdoms lost much at the hooves of Sombra. " 

For a moment his voice had taken on the booming ethereal tone of the royal we but the embarrassed throat clear showed he was learning to adapt to the new norms of royal interaction. As he spoke of loss, his eyes glowed darkly. For a moment the terrible aspect of a wrathful death flashed across his features but he controlled himself. He knew too well from his fathers' words that in fighting a monster it was easy to become one. 

" Oh, wait do you wish my sister to attend this meeting. I could wake her if you wish.

At the thought of waking Arete a sly grin crossed his muzzle. His sister hated the cold and he loved to make it snow in her room as a form of alarm clock...... 

Luna saw Derpies reaction with a mix between surprise and joy. There are times when she was introspective and on one of those times, perhaps she would look back on this little interaction and gain some insight on why she enjoys ruling over Equestria beside her sister, but there was simply no time for that now. She had to keep pace with the conversation and give her approval before a silence could settle, bringing all its doubt with it.

"I'm sure you'll do just fine Derpy," Luna said, still not entirely used to the name, "The ceremony is all about getting everybody comfortable with our new neighbors. It will be about as casual a royal even can be if my sister keeps in the spirit of the occasion."

Then Luna turned to address Thanoses question, "This tour we are planning for is for you. Whoever you want to help plan it is entirely up to you."

Thanos chuckled and his eyes light up. He could not pass this up. It had been forever since he would have woken his sister up like this. Better still this was the first time he could do it without being sent to his room. He took a deep breath and drew on his magic yet again. His hooves frosted a bit as he brought them together and whispered softly the words that helped him form his ice construct. A formation of ice that looked like his cutie mark grew between his forehooves until it was the size of a dinner plate. With another breath, it flew off. 

" I think...snort.... Arete will be joining us shortly Princess Luna.

Thanos could hardly choke out the sentence he was fighting laughter so hard. Seconds later there was a shout of indignation from his sisters' room and then her soft voice boomed down the hallway

" Thany I am going to kill you!

As Arete appeared she was covered in snow from his frost construct hovering over her. From it ice and snow fell in a torrent. Wherever she set hoof it followed until she looked up and with a flicker of concentration evaporated it with a whisper of heat. Her hair was soaked and poofed out as it dried causing Thanos to howl with laughter. He had loved to do this to her when he wanted her to get up and play on the weekends. No matter how his parents grounded him they never managed to make it less funny. She snorted in anger and clearly wanted to tan her brothers hide up and down the hallway. 

" Arete good to see you decided to join us......

Thanos choked this out as his sister kicked him in the rear firmly knocking him over. Even with her hoof print mussing his cutie mark he laughed like a foal and struggled to keep from falling over again with mirth. 

Derpy nodded greatfully at both Thanos' comforting look and Luna's words of encouragement, hoping that the princess was correct.  She could get through one party without destroying something, right? Right?!

The sudden angry tone shook Derpy from her worries only a moment later, when a cold, snow covered princess entered, shouting at...Thaney? Derpy pressed her lips as realization of the stiuation passed through her mind, and a snicker slipped thrpugh despite her hest efforts not to laugh at royalty.  She looked up to Thanos, "I don't think she enjoyed your joke much." She managed, still snickering through each and every word.  She finally got a hold of herself, nodding hello to the new princess but feeling a bit like she might not like this tiny pegasus who just laughed at her...that was disrespectful.  "Sorry..." she managed, her good eye looking away from the new princess.

Cadence felt more shock than humor at the sudden cold covered princess arriving at the scene.  The odd part was the princess, even covered in ice and snow felt familure to her.  She stood, feeling as if time stopped for a moment as she tried to recall a memory that she was certain didn't exist.  She blinked back to reality, walking over to help brush the snow off of her, "Would you like a blanket to dry off?" She asked.  

Arete bowed demurely toward Cadence while shaking her head no. Her muzzle scrunched up in concentration for a moment and the hall flooded with a soft warmth. Her coat dried swiftly and her hair was finally done frizzing. She sighed realizing how long it would take to tame this. As much as she wanted to continue to kick her brother it was good to see him so happy. She realized that Derpy had spoken to her and turned to address her. 

"It's ok miss. It's not your fault my brother is a jerk.

The last word lacked any force and was half a laugh at the sight of her brothers' humor. He rarely smiled let alone laughed this hard. She tried to be as dignified as possible with her mane frizzing in all directions and Thanos laughing now uncontrollably. 

" It is good to see you again Pricess Luna. And I have yet to mee you Princess....

She trailed off realizing she had not been introduced to Cadence. She realized that they likely had much to talk about flicked her brother with her tail trying to get him to compose himself. Still shaking a bit from his laughing fit he got himself together leaning on Derpy a bit as he took a few deep breaths. 

" Sorry, Arey I couldn't help it. I mean I haven't done that in years and well for once I won't be grounded for it.

He nuzzled his sister affectionately as she smiled wryly clearly knowing her brother needed the laugh. 

The warmth radiating from the princess warmed Cadence as well, sending her mind to days basking in the warmth of early summer sun, eyes closed as she napped with young twilight nuzzled around her...of her...nuzzling against-she shook her head.  Her...nuzzling against...who?  The wonderful ponies that raised her in her small village almost a lifetime ago, she supposed.  They were a kind, raising her as their own though she had no real parents to speak of.  Though the memory seemed strong...sparkling...her head hurt a bit.  She placed a hoof on it as she tried to remember to no avail.  "Uh...sorry...just a small headache."  she murmured, a bit shocked herself.  "My name is Princess Cadence.  It is wonderful to meet you as well."  Remembering her manners, she took her hoof off her head despite it still throbbing, giving a courteous bow, "I am the new ruler of the Crystal Empire...and...I'm sorry.  This might seem rather odd of me to ask but-"  they both felt so familiar that she had to say something, "Is there some way I could have seen you two before?  Perhaps a tapestry that depicted you in the Crystal Empire, or a vase...I just feel like I've seen you before..." She admitted, feeling a bit foolish for asking, but maybe that's all it was.  Maybe she passed by some artwork of the two, and this whole odd feeling and the return of a hole in her heart she thought she had been rid of was all for a misconception of her feelings...

Derpy noticed the sudden change in warmth.  It reminded her of nights cuddling with the doctor in the glow of the Tardis, sharing muffins as they just enjoyed the view of space outside the door.  Warm, cozy, and she enjoyed it until it was over.  She also smiled, seeing the two siblings acting like just that made them seem less royal, and more like any other pony.  It definitely made it easier for Derpy to feel more comfortable around them.  It seemed as if Princess  Cadence wanted words with the new Princess, so Derpy turned back to Thanos, "Your sister seems really nice too.  Remind me of her name again...Aires?"  She tilted her head, her wony eye seeming to marvel at the grand ceiling above her while her obediant eye stayed focused on him.

Arete smiled and shook her heard as Derpy asked her about her name. 

" No, its Arete like are te. " 

Seeing the wince from Cadence the ever watchful Thanos looked at her with concern. 

" Princess Cadence are you sure you are ok? That headache seems pretty sharp. I could at least create a cold compress if you wish? " 

Arete thought about where Cadence could know them from and looked at her brother. 

" Thany could you maybe walk back a bit and see if you can see where the Princess might know us from? "

Thanos almost flinched at the request. Going back that far and through the haze of his parents and Sombras, magics would be hard. He had already used so much energy before breakfast. But if he said no he would have to admit why. He sighed inwardly and prepared himself for feeling like a bucked apple in a moment. 

" Arty I could but maybe somewhere a little more private than here? Also, I do not know who wants to be in the room. Because to get through the haze surrounding our kingdoms I am going to need to do more than walk the timelines. Its possible I might have to wade the Styx.....So it might get pretty cold around me 

Arete winced at the idea of her brother walking the rivers of the dead but it was his job and knowing about their past was important.....

Derpy looked between Thanos and Arete, worry crossing her face.  She had to think quickly.  Thanos was already so tired after everything...because of her.  She bit her lip, her good eye darting as different thoughts crossed her mind in quick succession before she settled on one.  "Wait!  The party is going to start soon, right, Princess Luna?  I mean, it would be really sad for Thanos to miss a chance to enjoy it.  And, I...I'm his plus one!  I would be all alone without my new friend.  It could always wait until after the party, right?  Right?!"  She talked far quicker than she meant to, breathing, and decided to add one more thing so that Arete would think that she wasn't worried like she probably sounded, "Its just that...Thanos is my new friend, and I was really looking forward to getting to know him better, and you too!"  she finished.  She could only enough, her good eye looking to Thanos in hope as her wonky eye stayed with Arete.

Cadence nodded in agreement with Derpy, "All too true.  It is, after all, for us to know you, and I would hate for you to be late for the party on my account."  Truth was, she wanted the answer now more than ever.  She had hoped the answer would be simple.  But now, curiosity ate away at her.  A feeling she had thought had left her long, long ago had resurfaced.  When was the last time she felt that hole?  That feeling of being incomplete...it was a before she turned alicorn...she remembered that.  Back when she was little and no pony knew where she came from, but all loved her.  And, with that love, the whole had filled bit by bit.  With Twilight, and Shining, and Celestia and Luna.  Every new member of her family made it full.  Why did these two unearth that hole?  They were kind ponies.  Ponies she wanted to know more about, but she also wanted to know more about herself.  Sometimes, having amazing manners was the worst.  "After all, we shall have plenty of time to talk and get to know one another, being that we are basically neighbors." She finished with a giggle as a small part of her hoped she was right.

Luna, having mastered the moon and stars and their ability to shine light through the darkness, was nothing if not perspective. With wide, calculative eyes, Luna saw weakness in Thanos' posture; an inward curve that was a clear sign of exertion, but that wasn't all, the occasional trimmer in one of Thanos' legs was a giveaway, along with a tell Thanos' face gave off when mentioning the river of Styx: a slight craning downward of the head. It was something that, much more often than not, carried over from foal-hood. When the pony had difficulty facing the truth their head would tilt down to ease them into acceptance. There may have been more signs, but this was enough to prove Thanos' weakened condition.

Luna thought about asking Thanos how he managed to put himself in such a state but then thought a little harder. Thanos clearly comes from a place of stoicism and posturing. That was something Luna could relate to, having always been more professional than her sister. One of the good things about the old world was that posturing was often tempered with stoicism. When the information is important enough, his sense of duty will make him swallow his pride and confess his lame state. So instead of directly asking Thanos, Luna opted to indirectly signal that she knows about Thanos' condition.

"Let's not get ahead of ourselves," Luna said to both Cadence and Thanos, "We have an entire introductory ceremony and planning to get through today. I'm sure Cadence would be more than happy to wait until tomorrow, won't you?" Luna punctuated the end of her statement with a gentle nudge at Cadence.

• Brohoof 1

Arete followed Luna's swift gaze and spotted the shake in her brother's leg. Was it from her kick? Or was there something more. Everypony here seemed to sense something she did not. She knew pressing her brother would clam him up. She sighed softly and knew she should just move them along. 

" You are right princesses we should get a meal, plan what we can, and then maybe rest for a bit before the ceremony

Thanos was getting the feeling he was not so good as he wished to be at hiding how tired the time walking made him. He had to keep going and find a second wind. Just when he had gathered himself again something hit him like a bucked tree on harvest day. The sensation rocked him visibly. His eyes flashed white then black then normal in three rapid cycles. His breath frosted and grew ragged. 

With a soft noise that was a mix of pain and confusion, he stumbled into Luna and then Derpy leaning on the pegasus heavily. Panting and body trembling he struggled to regain his focus. Images flashed in his mind and he recoiled from some of them. Things that would happen, things that might happen, things he had to ensure happened or stop. None of it was sure. With a voice that was barely a whisper and a look of pleading on his face he turned to all in attendance as best, he was able.

" This ceremony will mark the start of some very important events. Everyone here will play a vital role. Done right it will lead to a golden era of sharing between our kingdoms. Done improperly I dont even want to think about it. But more importantly, before we do anything else I need breakfast and some sort of pick me up. "  

Cadence nodded in agreement, about to answer when Arete spoke first.  A swirl of guilt consumed her as pony and princess alike had seemed more anxious about this than anything and she only meant it as a simple question.  Her ears lowered before Thanos started stumbling.  Worry encompassed him as she could see his breath, and eyes kept changing.  He spoke, and Cadences mind reeled with questions that she wanted to ask but was frightened to.  "I'm  so sorry.  I didn't mean to cause such distress...will you be alright."

Derpy stood perfectly still ass Thanos used her support.  "It's not your fault, Princess.  He just needs food.  Princess Luna, do you have any more muffins? Muffins always fill me up when I'm hungry!" She smiled, beaming at Thanos in hopes that he was okay.  She decided to ask what yappend when they had a moment alone.  She figured there were too many ponies for him to feel comfortable talking about it.  "Are You going to be okay?" She asked, worriedly.  Hopefully, it was something he did with his special talent, though it seemed too painful to be natural.