Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why Equestria Girls makes no sense.

Unity

11 hours ago, Senko said:

Now I don't deny they are older than their EG counterparts I just don't think its the 10 years mid 30's a lot of people think. To me the ponyville versions are all in their teens 16/17/18ish at the start of the series and have aged a year per season after that putting them in a 24/25/26ish range as of the current season while the Equestria Girls versions are still 16/17ish. hmm potentially 10 years afterall . . . >//<

Yeah, sounds about right.  I never noticed the candles on Rainbow's cake in S4.  That's a good eye, there.  The one I mentioned being approximately 30 was Sunset, and I postulated that because she was supposed to be Celestia's student before Twilight, and supposedly grew bitter and jumped ship before the opening of FIM, so it would make sense that she would be a few years older than the mane 6.  This could put sunset anywhere from...I'd say 27 to 30.  It seems to me that no matter how you slice it, pony Sunset has to be a fully grown adult at least in her late twenties, which is just such a weird thing when you think about the fact that she goes to Canterlot High.  It's one of the funniest and most bizarre things about EG in my opinion.

There are a few things I don't understand as well.

Why Spike is a dog there when Diamond Dogs are actually humans in EqG world.

images(5).jpg.2d45d6042ba5aa3715cbe42f696dc9b1.jpg

I do believe I have seen the human versions of some other creatures as well.  It would be much better if Spike would be the adopted little brother of Twilight or adopted son of Principle Celestia at least. 

I don't like the fact that they do that to dragons. That's why EqG isn't cannon in my book.

I still watch and enjoy this show as well to some extent. But I really don't like the way they are towards dragons.

• Brohoof 1

16 hours ago, Justin_Case001 said:

Yeah, sounds about right.  I never noticed the candles on Rainbow's cake in S4.  That's a good eye, there.  The one I mentioned being approximately 30 was Sunset, and I postulated that because she was supposed to be Celestia's student before Twilight, and supposedly grew bitter and jumped ship before the opening of FIM, so it would make sense that she would be a few years older than the mane 6.  This could put sunset anywhere from...I'd say 27 to 30.  It seems to me that no matter how you slice it, pony Sunset has to be a fully grown adult at least in her late twenties, which is just such a weird thing when you think about the fact that she goes to Canterlot High.  It's one of the funniest and most bizarre things about EG in my opinion.

Assuming that the time progression is the same both way's which we have evidence it isn't. Like I said word from the Hasbro is that its 6 months from Equestria girls to Rainbow Rocks yet the specials up to everfree work well between seasons given the references e.g. Equestria Girls Twilight's still not used to her wings while in Friendship Games she mentions a time loop issue (possibly starlight and attempt to break the girls friendship in the past). Which would mean while 6 months pass in the Equestria Girls universe  a whole year passes on the pony one and then less than 6 months to the 3rd movie while again a year in ponyverse. So once the portal is up we're looking at a 2 to 1 time passage or greater and that's with the book anchoring the portal for regular use. Meanwhile the portal used normally is only identfied as being 30 moons which going by the pictures of prior sunset wins and her being there when the girls start highschool could be an even greater time gap. Meanwhile we know she was teenage age and attending Celestia's school prior to her first rebelling and going through the mirror for power. So essentially while in ponyville Sunset was born your 30 years earlier she may well have only experienced 17 years. Ponyvile = 16 years old, goes through portal, 17 years old comes back only to find 15-20-100 years have passed and steals Twilights crown.

There's just so much still uknown we never see Sunsets family if she even has any as the only reunion we notice is with Celestia and all we have from the specials/equestria information implies a 2 to 1 time difference or greater. Otherwise between 1st and 2nd movie it'd be a year for the girls and then 2nd to 3rd another year meaning that sentence in legend of the everfree of wanting a break from the trials of the last year wouldn't work. We know Twilight experienced something like 3 years in the time it took the Equestria girls to only experience less than 1 (yet weirdly still looks like a teenager). For all we know its only when hte portal is active that there's a 1-1 time ratio. We don't know siren aging but they were banished 1,000 years ago in Ponyverse by Starswirl yet are still teenagers in Equestria Girls).

Edited by Senko

@Senko: Lol, this is definitely waaaay more than Hasbro intended anyone to analyze it!  I love it.  I never thought about the possibility of time moving at different rates in the two universes.  That's a whole new mindblower!  Too bad we can't have more definitive data.  Like maybe one of the girls could just ask Sunset how old she is?  That'd be nice.  So, if the universes experience time differently, then theoretically, it could be a situation like the Voyager episode Blink of an Eye, albeit not nearly so pronounced.  In that story, the crew on the ship experienced an hour or so for every century that passed on the planet surface.  Your theory definitely would explain a lot, for sure.

Funny you should bring up the Sirens; after watching Shadow Play, it dawned on me that the sirens have been in the human world for over a millennium, (or, if we go with your theory, maybe half that?  Still a long time) which means they've presumably seen a LOT of history unfold.  What have they been doing all that time?  Who knows--maybe they influenced a lot of major historical events.  If we look no further than the events in Rainbow Rocks, then it's easy to assume that all the sirens ever did was terrorize one silly high school, but it's quite possible that Starswirl unknowingly altered the course of history for the whole planet by unleashing these seemingly immortal beings there for hundreds of years.  Wacky stuff.  And of course, the sirens still have teenage bodies, which doesn't make much sense since they are presumably hundreds or thousands of years old.  But really, we all know how that works: there's two human models--the young hot model, and the awkward, ugly adult model.  If you're a major character, then you get the young hot model, and if you're faculty, then you get the old model.  That's pretty much all the thought they put into it.

Edited by Justin_Case001

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2018 at 2:00 AM, Justin_Case001 said:

@Senko: Funny you should bring up the Sirens; after watching Shadow Play, it dawned on me that the sirens have been in the human world for over a millennium, (or, if we go with your theory, maybe half that?  Still a long time) which means they've presumably seen a LOT of history unfold.  What have they been doing all that time?  Who knows--maybe they influenced a lot of major historical events.  If we look no further than the events in Rainbow Rocks, then it's easy to assume that all the sirens ever did was terrorize one silly high school, but it's quite possible that Starswirl unknowingly altered the course of history for the whole planet by unleashing these seemingly immortal beings there for hundreds of years.  Wacky stuff.  And of course, the sirens still have teenage bodies, which doesn't make much sense since they are presumably hundreds or thousands of years old.  But really, we all know how that works: there's two human models--the young hot model, and the awkward, ugly adult model.  If you're a major character, then you get the young hot model, and if you're faculty, then you get the old model.  That's pretty much all the thought they put into it.

Shapeshifting is a magic that seems to be of particular note in EG though. Maybe not changeling level shapeshifting but something more shamanic. The girls are able to harness aspects of their pony counterparts. When the sirens gained more power they started to look more like their true Equestrian selves.

But yeah I did have the thought that it seemed very near-sighted to use an alternate INHABITED dimension as an Australia-style penal colony for your nation's worst offenders.

None of this explains why the sirens weren't able to conquer the world in all that time. Unless they were just beaten back so insanely hard that they didn't regain enough strength to use magic at all until the "malt shop" incident (but if I remember correctly even that wasn't sufficient and they needed genuine Equestrian magic to get anywhere, so there was no point to bothering with the high school until they saw the EoH blast. I guess they were sort of like Tirek when he first got out of Tartarus. Apparently he'd been wandering around free for quite a while but wasn't able to do anything.

Edited by bornAgainEquestrian
  • Brohoof 2

• 1 year later...
On 8/13/2018 at 9:37 AM, Luna's Admirer said:

I do believe I have seen the human versions of some other creatures as well.  It would be much better if Spike would be the adopted little brother of Twilight or adopted son of Principle Celestia at least. 

I don't like the fact that they do that to dragons. That's why EqG isn't cannon in my book.

I still watch and enjoy this show as well to some extent. But I really don't like the way they are towards dragons.

I enjoy EQG but Spike not getting to be human(and the fact dragons aren't allowed to be humans despite being freaking sapient as every other creatures such as ponies) is one of my huge issues with it.
The whole "Diamond DOGS being humans" bs added insult to injury there.

(edited)
On 8/12/2018 at 6:33 PM, Senko said:

There are three issues with that I can see.

1) First is that while Equestria has a lot of the same institutions as our world it doesn't necessarily mean they attend them in the same way. Take the CMC's for instance they're probably still in their teens (and would have an adolescent model if Hasbro felt it'd work on a new toy line) yet even though they are attending Cherilee's school they're also consulting with adult ponies on their foal's cutie marks, travelling long distances with limited supervision (twilight used them as an excuse to visit Mt Aeris but there was none of the constant supervision they had when younger) and even being awarded positions as tutor's at Twilight's school.

When you add in that they have both college and university + the cutie marks school it implies at least 3 levels of education school - college - university. I can't talk too much about that as its something I think America has but we only have school and university so I don't know what ages a college student normally is. I'd like too our schooling goes for a mandatory Kindergarden to year 10 (16 years old) then two optional years if your aiming for university 11 and 12 (18 years old) then 3 years university (21). So assuming your college is our 11-12 Fluttershy's brother could be 17/18 years old and that's put her again in the early 20's potentially he's 17 and her say 2x.

2) Secondly we have as I said seen a lot of evidence that put's the mane 6 at a fairly young age.

At the start of the series Twilight at least is still in school while Dash, Pinky Applejack and Rarity are working in a limited capacty (Carosel Boutque, Family Farm, Pony Ville Weather and under the cakes respectively). Given what we see with the cutie mark crusaders this could well be school age jobs all limited and in a small town. Then as the series goes on we visibly see their work expanding. Applejack starts exporting her apples to remote towns, Rarity opens 2 other Boutiques, Dash joins first the wonderbolt accademy and then becomes a full fledged wonderbolt and Pinky starts getting given more and more responsability at the cakes store even on occasion both running the store itself WHILE baby sitting the cakes foals. Maud is from what I've seen implied to be  older than Pinky yet she's only getting a PHD equivalent degree in the latest seasons.

Then there's the birthaversary of Dash in season 4 with 21 candles on her cake or her and Rarity both being able to compete in Cloudsdale best young flyer competition in season 1. Young here being from the calender year they turn 16 to the calender year they turn 21 with adult competitions being calender year 22 onwards.

3) It's specifcally mentioned by the Equestria Girls (I think in camp Everfree) that all the issues prior to that point have only take place over the course of a year and I believe the writers said from the first movie to the second was only 6 months.

MOVING ON

Now I don't deny they are older than their EG counterparts I just don't think its the 10 years mid 30's a lot of people think. To me the ponyville versions are all in their teens 16/17/18ish at the start of the series and have aged a year per season after that putting them in a 24/25/26ish range as of the current season while the Equestria Girls versions are still 16/17ish. hmm potentially 10 years afterall . . . >//<

I'm still working on time having passed but I've gotten a little distracted reading fanfics I should get back to that project.

On 8/13/2018 at 6:16 AM, Justin_Case001 said:

On 8/13/2018 at 7:28 AM, Senko said:

Assuming that the time progression is the same both way's which we have evidence it isn't. Like I said word from the Hasbro is that its 6 months from Equestria girls to Rainbow Rocks yet the specials up to everfree work well between seasons given the references e.g. Equestria Girls Twilight's still not used to her wings while in Friendship Games she mentions a time loop issue (possibly starlight and attempt to break the girls friendship in the past). Which would mean while 6 months pass in the Equestria Girls universe  a whole year passes on the pony one and then less than 6 months to the 3rd movie while again a year in ponyverse. So once the portal is up we're looking at a 2 to 1 time passage or greater and that's with the book anchoring the portal for regular use. Meanwhile the portal used normally is only identfied as being 30 moons which going by the pictures of prior sunset wins and her being there when the girls start highschool could be an even greater time gap. Meanwhile we know she was teenage age and attending Celestia's school prior to her first rebelling and going through the mirror for power. So essentially while in ponyville Sunset was born your 30 years earlier she may well have only experienced 17 years. Ponyvile = 16 years old, goes through portal, 17 years old comes back only to find 15-20-100 years have passed and steals Twilights crown.

There's just so much still uknown we never see Sunsets family if she even has any as the only reunion we notice is with Celestia and all we have from the specials/equestria information implies a 2 to 1 time difference or greater. Otherwise between 1st and 2nd movie it'd be a year for the girls and then 2nd to 3rd another year meaning that sentence in legend of the everfree of wanting a break from the trials of the last year wouldn't work. We know Twilight experienced something like 3 years in the time it took the Equestria girls to only experience less than 1 (yet weirdly still looks like a teenager). For all we know its only when hte portal is active that there's a 1-1 time ratio. We don't know siren aging but they were banished 1,000 years ago in Ponyverse by Starswirl yet are still teenagers in Equestria Girls).

wake up and open your eyes.

1) don't pretend with their ages that they don't actually have it
2) the human 7 are 17-21 years old and compared to their ponies counterparts who are young adults / teens but different way. All the high schools are not only teenagers, there are also young people in the early 20's potentially attending the same class as well as the university that also attend teenage children, adults. all that what you say does not make sense. You oughta know so much in the real world no concentrating on cartoons instead.

A teenager in the real world doesn't look old and is always accompanied by his parents,  never travels alone on the cruise. That explains all that the human 7 and other characters aiming at their looks and style, they all look older like a normal adult but young and can do whatever they want without the need for an adult.

Edited by Van123

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/13/2018 at 9:37 AM, Luna's Admirer said:

I have to agree. I never did understand why spike never did get a human role in EQG. He becomes a dog and follows twilight around like he’s her pet. But isn’t it owlicious that’s twilights pet!!?? Spike in FiM is more of a brother/assistant to twilight, that’s why I think when he appeared as just a dog, it was more an insult to me then anything.

1 hour ago, MasterofChaos said:

I have to agree. I never did understand why spike never did get a human role in EQG. He becomes a dog and follows twilight around like he’s her pet. But isn’t it owlicious that’s twilights pet!!?? Spike in FiM is more of a brother/assistant to twilight, that’s why I think when he appeared as just a dog, it was more an insult to me then anything.

And if Human-world Twilight couldn't have a owl, she could just have a plushie of it like how human Pinkie Pie had a plushie of Gummy.
Apparently why Spike is stuck as a dog for the sake of the whole "talking animal mascot" that magical girl shows had.  That's.. just stupid.
EQG can do without the "talking animal mascot" bit.

16 minutes ago, nightshroud96 said:

And if Human-world Twilight couldn't have a owl, she could just have a plushie of it like how human Pinkie Pie had a plushie of Gummy.
Apparently why Spike is stuck as a dog for the sake of the whole "talking animal mascot" that magical girl shows had.  That's.. just stupid.
EQG can do without the "talking animal mascot" bit.

Could not have put it any better myself. I also totally forgot about pinkie pie and her gummy plushie! So definitely!

6 hours ago, MasterofChaos said:

Could not have put it any better myself. I also totally forgot about pinkie pie and her gummy plushie! So definitely!

Its a waste that EQG doesn't try to make it up to Spike for making him a dog there..

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2018 at 11:25 PM, Unity said:

What are your thoughts?

I think you are right about it. Equestria Girls was a marketing thing, where Hasbro took the most popular stuff from the main pony show, and didn't spend any time to figure how things would work out in the end.

On 8/8/2018 at 11:25 PM, Unity said:

Can you explain?

Hasbro cares about profit.