Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Do you believe in Soulmates?

Changeling Neon

God, it's been such a long time since I posted here. But eh, why not. I'm just curious to know how many people here believe in soulmates or not and if they have any nice stories to share owo. 

The topic came up last night when I was talking to my boyfriend last night, and we believe we are soulmates, we wondered if other people believed in the idea too, seeing as how previously, he never believed in the idea.

• Brohoof 2

I don't believe in soulmate but I think it is a wonderful concept. I've read some really great stories about it.
Maybe if I ever fall in love that deeply, I'll start believing it too ^w^

And I think it is wonderful that you and your bf feel like soulmates, that's really cool <3

• Brohoof 2

Yeah... I kind of do. Like, right now... I feel like there's this reason why me and my crush were brought back together again. I don't know if I'd use the word soulmates for that or anything though. x//////x

• Brohoof 1

I guess it would depend on how you define soulmates. At it's most literal I would probably say no, but I think's that missing the heart and, well, soul of the term. To me, a soulmate is someone whom you want to be with, whom you can laugh with, talk with about anything, lend an ear & shoulder when the other needs it, can share the same space without arguing over petty matters, and just really enjoy the other person's company; whether it's romantic or platonic.

So yeah; in a sense, I can believe in the concept. :)

• Brohoof 3

I might? I'm not entirely sure about this one. I've only had experiences with dating in the past so my view on something like this has been soured greatly. I am probably wrong though. :sealed:

• Brohoof 3

Sorry, but no. Do truly wonderful relationships exist? Without a doubt, but I don't believe in the concept of soul mates. This may sound redundant, but the term romanticizes romance. I can definitely see why the concept exists: the feeling of intimacy and importance can make almost anyone feel... completed. With that said, though... that's just how the human mind works; we're wired to crave affection from others. As  said previously; truly fulfilling and wonderful relationships certainly happen, but I've yet to be convinced that it has to do with anything supernatural.

• Brohoof 2

39 minutes ago, Thanos said:

I don't know what that means

The term soulmates means that you feel like there is that one person that you feel like you're meant to be with for the rest of your lives.

19 minutes ago, TheTaZe said:

I might? I'm not entirely sure about this one. I've only had experiences with dating in the past so my view on something like this has been soured greatly. I am probably wrong though. :sealed:

I think this is interesting because your view can change and there is no right or wrong ^w^ It's a fun idea to poke and think about. You never know when something like that might slap you in the face like it did me xD

• Brohoof 3

The reality of soulmates is a subjective one. It can be real to you, and a fiction to another person. Your perception of soulmates can change depending on your situation, too. At one point, I did believe in soulmates, but now, I don't. In my opinion, there isn't some force that connects two different people, and makes them soulmates.

Labelling someone as your soulmate is a hybrid logical-emotional decision. Because it's your decision to call someone your soulmate, the idea of someone being your soulmate is subjective, and not an objective absolute reality. The truth is, there isn't a singular perfect person for you on the world. Few people can be a perfect match, and make a purely harmonic relationship together. No one is absolutely perfect for you. Instead, there are many people that can be perceived as perfect for you. 

Soulmates as individuals don't exist. Rather, the intense emotions you feel towards someone that would get you to call them your soulmate do. Most likely, the feeling there is of infatuation.

Edited by Legulus
Typo.
  • Brohoof 1

Not really.  But that's because I don't believe that people are destined to meet or become a couple.  I kinda like to believe that we have the power to make our own destiny instead.

• Brohoof 2

I don't but if a couple married each other, they better be. No one wants to go over a divorce file really.

Edited by TBD
  • Brohoof 2

I believe that the concept of 'soulmates' is too reliant on the concept of fate. I do not believe there is any kind of fated soulmate for everyone. If you really want to get down to it, I believe that there are quite a few people in the world at any given moment that anyone could click with and eventually consider their soulmates. However, the closed nature of our world, and the (justified) hesitance for many of us in seeing most people online as potential dates, keeps us insulated and when one of these people ends up in our lives, it can feel like fate, and the chances of running into or being open to another person that might click with us then becomes very low.

I know, putting it that way really takes away a lot of the comforting ideas of fate that I'm sure a lot of us - myself included - have grown up with, but I just can't not look at this logically. And I don't think it diminishes the love for that special person that does come into our lives.

• Brohoof 3

i dont think so, to be able to achieve something you need to do something in order to gain it same goes for maintaining something that already exists. I think good relationships form because both parties work together in order to reach that goal so i dont think the soul mate business really applies there as its completely dependent on your own and other party's efforts in the relationship

• Brohoof 1

The optimist in me is making excited horse noises but I know that a "soulmate" might not exist.  It really depends...  You might find them over the course of your life but you might not?  A good relationship is hard work but it can be fun too, you know?  Also, a part of me says that soulmates don't always apply to romantic situations too.  I think some people can be soulmates but never really go into, nor are interested in, having that type of relationship.  Like, a bff can be considered a soulmate, if that makes sense?  I don't know, I'm not very familiar with this type of romantic relationship so... :rarity:

• Brohoof 1

I absolutely believe there are true soulmates, and that they can fit into a variety of different dynamics. I have two soulmates; one is my gf with whom I can share anything. The other is my cousin, who is my complete opposite. I started sharing an apartment with her as of last winter and it's like she's the sister I never had. We're like oil and water, but we somehow 'click' perfectly.  

• Brohoof 1