Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

dark Canterlot's Darkest Days - Episode II: The Incineration Stone

Octavia Heartstrings

NOTE: This story is not intended to be canon to the Equestria Girls series in any way. Please read with discretion.

“First and foremost, I’m so sorry about Applejack.” said Princess Twilight as she and Sunset, who was now in her pony form, entered the Canterlot library.

“It’s all right, Twilight.” Sunset replied. “I just need to find out what killed her. I know her death wasn’t natural, and I’m going to get to the bottom of it.”

“You’re correct in saying it wasn’t natural.” said Princess Twilight gravely. “That green fireball was definitely Equestrian magic. And I’m pretty sure I know where it came from.”

Princess Twilight led Sunset to a shelf near the back of the library. The purple alicorn scanned the shelves until she found the thick black book that she was looking for. The cover read, “The Equestrian Encyclopedia of Weapons and Tools of Destruction”.

“Okay, that title doesn’t sound good.” Sunset remarked.

Twilight flipped through the encyclopedia until she reached the letter I. On that page was an illustration of a round stone with a giant X scratched into it.

“The Incineration Stone.” Twilight explained. “Long ago, an evil and mentally disturbed unicorn used this stone to terrorize various communities in Western Equestria. The green fireballs that this stone emitted decimated entire towns and killed close to five hundred ponies. This unicorn was so powerful that it took five great sorcerers, led by Starswirl the Bearded, to defeat him in battle. The evil unicorn was ultimately killed, and Starswirl took the stone and hid it somewhere far away. But Starswirl never said where, and its fate remains unknown.”

Sunset gasped. “That stone must have ended up in my world!”

“Most likely, yes. That’s the only logical explanation.” Twilight replied.

“And someone found it and used it to kill Applejack!” Sunset exclaimed. “But who? I’d better get back to my world. This is big, really big!”

When Sunset returned to the human world, it was getting dark. The clock in front of the town hall declared that it was nearly ten o’ clock. Sunset figured she had better get some sleep, so she hurried home, changed into her pajamas, and crashed on her bed. She stayed awake for some time, pondering what Princess Twilight had told her, but eventually she drifted off and fell asleep.

Adagio Dazzle crouched in the bushes near Sweet Apple Acres, making sure she wasn’t seen. Aria Blaze and Sonata Dusk crouched right beside her.

“Well, girls, we’re finally back in this piece of shit town.” she said to her sisters. “Now to get our revenge and assert our superiority once and for all!”

“But how?” Sonata asked, confused. “Our pendants were destroyed, like, a long time ago.”

Aria sighed. “Just shut the fuck up for once in your life, Sonata.”

From her pocket, Adagio pulled out a stone with a giant X scratched into it. “This.” she said. “This stone shoots out green fire that can destroy anyone and anything. With it, I’ll devastate this town, and we three will take over.”

Just then, Applejack came into view, driving home in her jalopy. Adagio sneered. “Well, well, well. It looks like we have our first victim. Goodbye, Applejack.” She held the stone, took aim, and fired.

“Oh God, not them!!!” Sunset jolted awake, very disturbed and angered by the dream she’d just had. She would get no more sleep that night, and the next day she told her friends about the Incineration Stone, and the dream.

“Oh, goodness!” Fluttershy remarked. “You don’t think the Dazzlings are back, do you?”

“It could just be a nightmare.” said Sunset thoughtfully. “On the other hand, my empathy power could be starting to manifest itself in my dreams as well.”

“Then what are we waiting for?” Rainbow Dash exclaimed. “Let’s find the Dazzlings or whoever has this thing and bring them to justice!”

“That’s easier said than done.” Sunset replied. “Literally anyone could be a suspect, not just those three.”

“Well then, I suppose we’ll just have to question everyone.” said Rarity.

And that’s just what they did. For the last week of summer until school started, the six girls questioned various people in the town. But everyone’s response was the same — they were sorry about what happened to Applejack, but had no clues to this mystery. The girls also kept an eye out for the Dazzlings, but never saw them. All this caused Sunset to lose sleep, and once the school year started, that impacted her grades as well. She stayed up later and later trying to catch up on missed assignments. Her friends helped her, but that didn’t reduce the amount of stress that was piling on Sunset.

One Thursday night, Sunset was still lying awake in bed at two in the morning. She was feeling restless, so she decided to go for a walk around town. She didn’t bother to change out of her pajamas, merely throwing on a jacket. The night air did manage to clear her head somewhat, and she made it all the way to the outskirts of Canterlot. She reached the edge of the forest and was just about to head home when she heard an all-too-familiar voice behind her. She turned to see three girls standing in the forest. Just from the shape of their hair, she knew who they were: Adagio, Aria and Sonata.

“It’s been nearly a month since Applejack’s, hmm… unfortunate death.” Adagio whispered slowly.

“What are you, gonna launch another attack already?” Aria growled.

“Not yet.” Adagio replied. “I haven’t decided when or how I’m going to take out the rest of those girls. I say we leave this town now, and return when the time is right.”

“Fine.” Aria sighed. She and Adagio turned and headed further into the forest. Sonata, who had remained silent the whole time, waited a moment before following her sisters.

Sunset was horrified at what she’d just heard. Her nightmare had to have been true! She hurried back home and crashed down on her bed. Once again, she didn’t fall asleep, but she was too terrified of what could happen to her and her friends to be tired. When she and her friends met up at school the following morning, she hurriedly told them what she had seen. Fluttershy promptly went into full panic mode and had to be calmed down by Rainbow Dash, and the other three were extremely shocked as well.

“Oh, shit!” Twilight cried. “What are we gonna do?”

“I don’t know.” said Sunset. “But we need to keep an eye out for them. If you see one of them, let me know and we’ll figure something out.”

Sunset’s five friends solemnly agreed.

Over the next couple of weeks, things gradually returned to normal in Canterlot, and before long, it was time for the Fall Formal. That night, the girls were getting ready at Rarity’s house. Rarity had made five gorgeous dresses for herself, Twilight, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie, and they were all very excited for the dance. Fluttershy was especially excited about going with her boyfriend, Sky Scraper. Sunset, however, had decided not to attend this year, as she was still feeling a bit put out.

“Darling, are you sure you don’t want to go?” asked Rarity. “I made a fabulous dress for you too.”

“That’s okay.” Sunset replied. “I just don’t feel like it.”

“Well then, I… guess we’ll be off.” said Twilight. “Bye, Sunset.” She and the other girls piled into a limousine parked outside, and they set off for the school.

Shortly after her friends left, Sunset was getting ready to go home when the doorbell suddenly started ringing furiously. Sunset opened it and saw Sonata Dusk looking terrified. “What the hell are YOU doing here!?!” Sunset cried out. “I bet you're trying to kill me!?!”

“No, no, no!!!” Sonata shouted. “I’m trying to stop Adagio!”

“Wait, what?”

Sonata sighed. “Adagio ditched me and Aria. I don’t know where Aria’s gone off to, but Adagio’s about to blow up your school with this magic fire stone that she found! She’s on her way over there right now! I tried to talk her out of it, but she threatened to kill me if I got in her way again!”

“Holy shit, we have to get there before she does!” Sunset exclaimed. “Get into my car, we’ll stop her!” Sunset and Sonata climbed into Sunset’s car, and they sped off as fast as they possibly could.

Meanwhile, Twilight, Rainbow Dash, Rarity and Pinkie Pie entered the school, followed by Fluttershy and Sky Scraper holding hands. Multiple other students were heading into the auditorium as well.

Adagio was approaching the school, the Incineration Stone in her right hand. “Just another minute or so, and my revenge will be completed!” she cackled to herself.

Sunset’s car screeched like a bat out of hell toward the school. She was going about 80 miles an hour, and Sonata was terrified that they would crash, but Sunset continued to accelerate.

As the last of the students filed into the auditorium, Adagio reached the school. She pointed the stone at the auditorium, and a green glow emerged from it. Twilight, Fluttershy and Sky Scraper were a safe distance away. Rainbow Dash, Rarity and Pinkie Pie weren’t so lucky.

Sunset could see the school in the distance when an entire part of it was turned into a massive green explosion that shook the entire town. Her face went pale and she lifted her foot off the gas. She slumped in the driver’s seat and burst into tears. “NO!!! GOD, NO!!!

Edited by shyabetes3939
  • Brohoof 1