Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

dark Canterlot's Darkest Days - Episode III: The Final Fate of Adagio Dazzle

Octavia Heartstrings

NOTE: This story is not intended to be canon to the Equestria Girls series in any way. Please read with discretion.

Sunset slowly got out of her car and walked toward her partially destroyed school. Half of the auditorium had been reduced to nothing but burning green ashes. Atop the ashes were the geodes belonging to Rainbow Dash, Rarity and Pinkie Pie. Sky Scraper was trying to comfort Fluttershy, while Twilight was being consoled by her boyfriend, Sherbert Music-Guard. Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle were hugging each other and crying loudly. Several other students also appeared to be traumatized by what had just happened.

Sunset kneeled before what used to be the auditorium and let the tears flow down her cheeks. She felt nothing but extreme guilt, sadness and rage.

The next morning, Principal Celestia stood at a podium in front of the mass of green ashes. Portraits of the students who had perished in the explosion were hanging on the walls.

Principal Celestia began her speech. “Fifteen students were killed at the Fall Formal last night when the auditorium was blown up by an unknown attacker. Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Pinkie Pie, Flash Sentry, Scootaloo, Sweetie Drops, Roseluck, Octavia Melody, Bulk Biceps, Sandalwood, Snips, Snails, Norman, Pixel Pizzaz and Indigo Wreath will be remembered fondly by all of us. They were amazing students and people, and were truly a credit to our school. Let us have a minute’s silence in their honor.”

For the next minute, Sunset, Twilight, Fluttershy, Sky Scraper, Sherbert Music-Guard, Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, Maud Pie, Lyra Heartstrings, Vinyl Scratch, Photo Finish, Violet Blurr and the rest of the CHS students, along with many grieving families, remained solemnly silent. Then Vice Principal Luna stepped up to the podium.

“It has been brought to our attention by Sunset Shimmer that this heartless attack was most likely carried out by Adagio Dazzle, a former student here at Canterlot High.” said Luna. “As a result, school will be canceled today. We think it would be best for you all to stay home, given the circumstances.”

Fluttershy put a hand on Sunset’s shoulder. “Sunset, you did your best. There was nothing more that could have been asked of you.”

Sunset sighed. “I know, but I can’t help but feel somewhat guilty for this. I just can’t believe Rainbow Dash, Rarity and Pinkie Pie are gone.”

“I know. I feel just as horrible as you do.” said Twilight. “I have a sinking feeling things can only get worse from now on.”

Canterlot, a normally happy town, suddenly seemed gray and dull. Lyra missed her best friend and girlfriend very badly, and remembered all the fun times they’d had together. Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle promised themselves that they would never forget Scootaloo, and Sweetie Belle also pined for her big sister. Photo Finish and Violet Blurr felt empty without Pixel Pizzaz alongside them. Vinyl grieved for her best friend Octavia. Even Maud Pie was overcome by her emotions when remembering Pinkie. Sonata was horrified and immensely saddened by the atrocity her sister had committed. But no one was more miserable than Sunset. First she had vowed to avenge Applejack. Now she was determined to avenge Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Pinkie Pie and the others who’d lost their lives.

“Well, Adagio, I hope you’re happy.” snapped Aria.

“Why wouldn’t I be?” Adagio snickered. “I got my revenge. Canterlot High School has crumbled, and those Rainbooms are gone for good.”

Aria finally lost it. “First of all, you only got half of them!” she shouted. “The remaining three are looking for you right now. And second, you killed twelve innocents! I thought you wanted to get rid of the Rainbooms, not murder innocent people just for the fun of it! You know what, I’m done following you around. I’m calling the police, and they’re going to destroy that fucking stupid stone and put an end to you once and for all!”

Adagio grinned. She pulled the Incineration Stone out of her pocket, and pointed it straight at Aria.

Sunset slowly walked through the downtown area, guilt still hanging over her head. In the distance, she could see Fluttershy and Twilight standing together, looking shocked. Sunset immediately ran up. “What is it?!” she asked, worried for her friends.

“O — over there!” Fluttershy pointed to her right. Sunset looked and saw Sky and Sherbert kneeling before a small pile of green ash.

Sky walked back to the girls. “It’s that purple siren girl, Aria Blaze. She got incinerated.”

“Probably by Adagio to cover her tracks!” said Sunset. “Does anyone know where she went after killing Aria?”

“A think she went that wey.” said Sherbert, pointing north. “That’d be taeward Heichwey Nineteh-five.”

“Okay, then.” Sunset turned to Fluttershy and Twilight. “Are you girls up for going after her?”

“If it means avenging our friends, then yes!” said Twilight firmly. Fluttershy nodded in agreement.

Fluttershy’s and Twilight’s boyfriends hugged and kissed them goodbye and wished them luck. Then the three girls hurried back to Sunset’s house, got into her car, and raced off toward the highway.

The girls listened to music as they sped towards the highway. But as they merged onto Highway 95, the music stopped. Moments later came the voice of a news reporter. “This just in.” the reporter announced. “There has just been a bombing at Camp Everfree. The camp’s counselors, Timber Spruce and Gloriosa Daisy, were both killed, and the perpetrator of this attack, a teenage girl named Adagio Dazzle, is believed to now be approaching Manebridge. We will elaborate on this story when we have more details.”

“Holy shit, Manebridge is almost at the northern border!” cried Twilight. “We won't get there before dusk!”

“We can if we take Highway 3.” Sunset replied with a smile.

“You’re right!” said Twilight. “Why didn’t I think of that?”

At the exit to Highway 3, Sunset swerved onto the northbound ramp. “Speaking of which, why would Adagio go after Camp Everfree of all places?” Fluttershy asked.

“I saw her in the forest that night.” said Sunset. “Maybe Timber or Gloriosa saw her and she wants to destroy any places that could connect her to the explosion at the school. In any event, we’re onto her and if we keep going to exit 47, we’ll be in Manebridge before dusk!”

As Sunset, Twilight and Fluttershy approached exit 47, the first exit for Manebridge, a loud explosion sounded out. “Shit!” Fluttershy exclaimed. “Did you girls feel that?”

“Yes.” said Sunset. “Adagio is close by.”

As Sunset was exiting the highway, Adagio finally stopped her car at a local diner. She went in, ordered a sandwich, and sat down in the back of the building. As she ate her dinner, she thought to herself, This is ridiculous. How could my plan have backfired so badly?

Adagio finished the sandwich and walked out of the diner. But just as she pulled the Incineration Stone out of her pocket and aimed it at the diner, Sunset, Twilight and Fluttershy arrived on the scene. Sunset ran into the diner. “Everyone get out! This place is about to be blown up!”

Like magic, everyone poured out of the diner. Adagio turned to face the three girls, pointing the stone at them. “Well, I guess it’s time to say goodbye to you three. Thank you very much for ruining my plans.”

Sunset ran forward. “Oh no, it isn’t! Just for you — and me!!!” Sunset tackled Adagio and slammed her through the door. The Incineration Stone went flying through the air.

“What?!? NO!!!” Adagio cried. The stone fired off one last time, and the entire diner was destroyed by a massive green explosion.

“SUNSET, NO!!!” Twilight and Fluttershy cried out. They both sagged to the ground and burst into tears, just as Sonata, Lyra and Wallflower Blush arrived.

Sonata was visibly very upset. “I’m so sorry.” she said. “I — I was too late.”

“Sunset’s a hero.” said Wallflower through tears.

“Yep.” Lyra agreed. “She killed the murderer herself.”

“I — I can’t believe it!” Twilight whimpered. “Now Fluttershy and I are the… only ones left.”

“I wouldn’t say that.” said Wallflower thoughtfully. “You’ve still got us. You Rainbooms have taught me so much about friendship, and helped me to open up.”

“Sunset believed me when no one else would.” said Sonata. “I tried warning others about Adagio, but they all ignored me because they assumed I was still on her side.”

“You avenged your best friends, and mine.” said Lyra. “We’ll help you through this. It’s the least we can do.”

Years later, a large portrait would stand in the main hallway of Canterlot High. It depicts Twilight Sparkle, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Rarity and Applejack during their band’s, and the town’s, heyday. Below it, the plaque reads, “The Rainbooms — Six Brave, Strong and Kind Girls Who Discovered Friendship Few Ever Know”.

Right next to it stands another portrait. It is of Sunset Shimmer, and its plaque reads, “Sunset Shimmer, the Heroine of Canterlot”.

• Brohoof 1