Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky
Message added by Jeric

Warning, there will likely be spoilers in the Episode discussion threads so venture in at your own peril. 

So how was the episode?  

104 users have voted

1. 1. So how was the episode?

• Loved it as much Rainbow and Scoots' sisterly love for eachother! (5/5)
    • Let's hang some posters of how awesome this episode was! (4/5)
    • I'm thinking of a change of fanclubs (3/5)
    • Bad like LD! (2/5)
    • Is that why they called this episode "The Washouts", represents the washed out writing this episode had? (1/5)

2 hours ago, Ganondox said:

Is this one coming out this week in Australia?

Ain't sure, most likely the French early released, which apparently released up to the 21st episode in a streaming service 

3 hours ago, Ganondox said:

Is this one coming out this week in Australia?

This and On The Road to Friendship 

• Brohoof 2

This may be an unpopular opinion, but

Spoiler

I never like Lightning Dust. She and Rainbow may both have an attitude and ego problem, but Rainbow would sooner push someone out of harm's way. I didn't even feel sorry when Lightening Dust was kicked from the academy.

Edited by Will Guide
  • Brohoof 2

Just found out that washout means, among other things:

Spoiler

Someone who has failed in a career. Could say it's a foreshadowing, but I've already posted a pic  :D

Edited by Steve Piranha

There's already a lot of Lightning Dust screenshots up at Derpibooru.org, which obviously means Lightning Dust is back!!!

After 5 whole seasons, we finally get to see her again! Ya guys happy about that now?

With Lightning Dust back, this changes my perspective for this episode. Can't wait to see it.

Well, I got through the episode; thank the translated subtitles.

Spoiler

It's got some good and bad.

Scootaloo's insecurity, hinted in Surf, comes into play and directly stated. She feels more welcome by The Washouts not just for their insane, death-defying stunts, but also for their supposed inclusiveness for pegasi who can't fly. (More on that in a bit.) Her insecurity over not being able to live up to Dash isn't just explored, but her disability's outright stated.

Because of her insecurity, she doesn't take Dash's or Spitfire's "tough love" well at all. In fact, their bluntness and Dash's imposing nature — including by telling her to dump the Washout memorabilia — made her more defiant and drove her to join Dust's group. But the tension didn't start there.

This was the most tense that Scoot and RD were to each other since their friendship began back in Sleepless in Ponyville. She defends The Wonderbolts, who she's a part of, for their focus on inclusiveness and record of high-quality fliers. Dust's counter of creating The Washouts to give anyone an opportunity was a major pro for Scootaloo. Take a look at her in the background throughout that shot; she went from disappointed to sad to hopeful instantly and then admiration.

TW marks Dust's first primary episode since WA, and her selfishness and recklessness is driven here to the point of creating her own daredevil group. But in WA, her recklessness initially was subtle and became more and more upfront as it progressed. Yet, like before, she proves to be Dash without morals, given her selfishness towards others' security, worries, and feelings. Not being part of the Wonderbolts was partly free to her, but throughout, it's easy to see how her expulsion from the Wonderbolts drove her into this occupation and opportunity to one them up. Everything about the Washouts, from the stunts to the ponies in them, is a complete antithesis of the standards and practices the Wonderbolts established long ago.

But if there's one thing about Dust's antagonism that could do better, it's the subtlety. Dust's own words to begin Act 2 make it really clear how she has no desire for anyone's safety, as long as it brings plots into their seats. Dash catches that, but Scootaloo, in her own naivete, doesn't, and being this upfront only makes LD less clever.

In addition to lack of cleverness, there's literally no point for Rolling Thunder or Short Fuse to be there. Their own purposes is to have one of them subtracted in order for Scootaloo to take her spot while she recovers. Aside from cameos, they contribute nothing into the story and can be written out. On top of that, they're some of the blandest and flattest characters of the season with no personality beyond expository defiance and a gag to complement their names.

I'm also very familiar with this story structure going back to the likes of TailSpin's "Stormy Weather." Differences include Kit's want for wealth over Scoot's wish for equality among her peers. However, while the differences give it an FIM flare, the plot itself is too bland. The twists are too small in scale and don't stand out from making the plot so standard and safe.

Maybe I'll come back with fresher eyes later; the English version will debut in a couple of days. And I refuse to call this episode bad, because it's not. The Washouts is competently written and has its strengths. That said, right now, this is S8's most disappointing episode. >_>

ETA: Wrote a brand-new review here.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 1

Gotta see this in English, but I mostly liked what I saw

Spoiler

The fact that they had the balls to actually not redeem Lightning Dust and actually keep her an antagonist/rival to RD is incredibly refreshing

• Brohoof 4

56 minutes ago, This Whomps said:

Reveal hidden contents

The fact that they had the balls to actually not redeem Lightning Dust and actually keep her an antagonist/rival to RD is incredibly refreshing

Spoiler

Her lack of reformation and redemption is no surprise. Dust from WA chose recklessness over safety and guidelines and became more and more brazen as Spitfire rewarded her for it. Creating her own team who favored this path makes sense.

ETA:

Spoiler

Despite my disappointment earlier, I'll give this episode a second chance once it airs on Saturday. I feel like I'm letting my expectations cloud my judgment rather than judging TW for what it is.

Edited by Dark Qiviut

Spoiler

I expected that Lightning Dust would be involved with some stunt oriented group to suit her nature.

Anyway, she won't do any redemption until she literally destroys herself. Her own recklessness has to be her foil.

Edited by Singe
  • Brohoof 2

Spoiler

Another praise I want to bring up

The episode is yet another "RD suffers a bruised ego" episode. Earlier I said something about hoping for the episode not to be like that, which is kinda funny. For once, unlike past episodes like MMDW or Newbie Dash, the episode actually doesn't go out of its way to be a giant asshole about and treats her with respect and lets her grow from it

Thank you based Confalone

• Brohoof 3

• The title was changed to S08:E20 - The Washouts (Australian Broadcast 8/18)
  • The topic was featured

Yay for being able to understand French! 

Spoiler

Those who are not parents of pre-teens and teen will likely have a harder time fully appreciating the set up and payoff of this episode. The episode doesn't play it safe when you've actually fretted that caution and wisdom would be a catalyst to drive your child into harm's way. 

I was concerned they would redeem Lightning Dust in this episode which would undermine that moral, one to teach kids that caregiver caution should be heeded, above one's own self-gratification. 

Episode was phenomenal for me. 

• Brohoof 7

Just got done watching this episode. This is what I love about Rainbow Dash, she can be pushy at times but she still knows her priorities, even it bruises her ego a bit.

Good episode, I like!

• Brohoof 5

That was... a bit of a weird episode if you ask me

RD seemed more narcisstic than ever at first, yet turned out to be a caring sis. Scootaloo's point of view is understandable, yet I'd expect her to be a bit more reasonable than that

I was really sure than commentator was Iron Will at first, guess not. Also, that jaw drop D:

Oh hey, it's Lightning Dust! Who did you expect, Sportaflop?

Hey, look, Tavi in the audience! Insta +1 point for the episode!

Quote of the day: Nice save, Twilight :D 

3 minutes ago, Will Guide said:

I just got off work.  I hope one of these links has English Subtitles.

Australia just aired the episode. You should find a link somewhere 

• Brohoof 1