Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky
Message added by Jeric

Warning, there will likely be spoilers in the Episode discussion threads so venture in at your own peril. 

So how was the episode?  

104 users have voted

1. 1. So how was the episode?

• Loved it as much Rainbow and Scoots' sisterly love for eachother! (5/5)
    • Let's hang some posters of how awesome this episode was! (4/5)
    • I'm thinking of a change of fanclubs (3/5)
    • Bad like LD! (2/5)
    • Is that why they called this episode "The Washouts", represents the washed out writing this episode had? (1/5)

8 minutes ago, Ganondox said:

Adding on to this, there was a specific line of dialogue which I found to be brilliant in retrospect: 

On first listen, Scootaloo appeared to just be snarky. But once you remember Scootaloo can't fly, the real intention of "follow your wingflaps" becomes clear. Rainbow Dash thinks it's the same thing, but it's not, because while Scootaloo can walk, she can't fly. She can't follow in Rainbow Dash's footsteps, regardless of what she wants. Finally, Rainbow Dash's response highlights how oblivious she is. 

Excellent point. Plus, "Follow your wingflaps" hints a bit of envy for Dash. Idolizes her and wants to be in her position, yet knows her Wonderbolt dream will never happen. Unlike the Wonderbolts, the Washouts provide her a flightless-inclusive avenue, which symbolizes an opportunity to gain some respect by her peers, including Dash herself.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 6

I did like Dashie very much in this episode, except for her being baised. It was really cool to see her caring for Scootaloo and to see Lightning Dust again. Only Scootaloo was a problem, but I have accept that. :twi:

I just finished watching this episode and I thought it was pretty awesome.

Spoiler

It was cool seeing the Rainbow Dash fan club was still going on. It was pretty funny to see Rainbow telling Scoots that she eavesdrops in all of the fan club meetings. It was a surprise to see that Scootaloo was pushing that fan club aside to start a newer club. I like how Rainbow was really concerned for Scootaloo about her liking this new club. The Washouts were pretty cool and their aerial stunt performances were interesting. It was also interesting to learn that the Washouts were ex Wonderbolt members. It was cool to see Lightning Dust again after so many years of not seeing her. It was nice seeing Spitfire again and her talk with Scootaloo was pretty funny. Seeing how Scoots liked this new team because she couldn't fly and possibly be a Wonderbolt like Rainbow was understandable. I could see why Rainbow was feeling jealous of the Washouts, but I could also see how she really cared for Scootaloo's well being, as well. I liked how Scoots was having second thoughts on performing her stunt. In fear of doing something over the top, dangerous and getting hurt. I loved how Rainbow made a Scootaloo fan club, as well as seeing Rainbow's parents were a part of the fan club. All in all, I really loved this episode. The comedy was pretty good and the moral was really well done. I hope we get to see old characters return throughout the rest of the season. 

Spoiler

I kinda like the idea of Lightning Dust trying to push Scootaloo in her own way. It’s just that her way of doing it was, naturally for her, completely reckless.

She pushed Scootaloo into a situation probably confident that she could actually do it. I mean, she puts herself and the other Washouts in ridiculously dangerous situations as well. It wasn’t just Scoots.

• Brohoof 1

I liked this episode. Only part I wasn't as fond off was that exaggerated stunt near the end. It was a cliché way to resolve the story but I can look past that because the scenes with Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash afterwards were perfect. 

I really liked the development for both Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash throughout the episode. Spitfire's scene was unexpected but I couldn't help but laugh. The voice actor must have had a lot of fun doing that.

Edited by JH24
  • Brohoof 2

(Been a While)

I loved it! I think it might be my favorite episode of Season 8 so far.

Spoiler

At first, I was concerned that it was going to turn out like "Mysterious Mare Do Well 3.0", fortunately, that feeling went away after 5 minutes. The characterizations were solid all throughout, with everyone playing to who they were and not acting very out of character. This is the best that Rainbow Dash has been written so far this season. The humor, though not as plentiful as Confalone's usual episodes, is on point and snappy, everyone in the episode gets at least one funny line or two, (Though Spitfire impersonating Chris Farley and Lightning Dust's Team Rocket style sendoff made me laugh the hardest), and it's always a plus to see Lightning Dust return.

However, the thing that bumped this already solid episode up to a great one was the heart. 

Spoiler

Seeing Rainbow Dash's ego and initial jealousy give way to genuine concern for Scootaloo's safety was a welcome shift. When she lectures Scootaloo about how dangerous The Washouts' stunts are, it actually has weight, because she's a pony whose life and career have been defined by her being reckless and learning the value of discipline as a Wonderbolt, and like a parent, she wants Scootaloo to avoid those mistakes.

There's so much nuance in the writing as well. It would have been so easy to have RD pull an AJ in "Somepony To Watch Over Me" by being overprotective and forcibly trying to stop Scootaloo from doing the stunt and having her resent RD for it. Instead, Rainbow realizes that as much as she cares for Scootaloo's safety, she has to let her make her own decisions as an adolescent, which is something that many parents/guardians can relate to. Even though Rainbow is visibly hurt by Scoots rejecting her, she acknowledges that it's her decision, and respects Scootaloo's independence enough to accept that decision. It shows just how much she's grown as a character, tbh.

And that ending with Rainbow giving Scoots appreciation is just perfect.

I could go on about everything else I loved about it, but I've said enough. 

An easy 9 out of 10. :laugh:

Edited by Theanimationfanatic
  • Brohoof 3

So, Lightning Dust returns and nearly gets somepony killed again, only this time it's a young disabled filly. ....Somepony needs to call Celestia, because it sounds like Lightning Dust seriously needs to be locked up. :okiedokieloki:

• Brohoof 4

4 hours ago, ggg-2 said:

So, Lightning Dust returns and nearly gets somepony killed again, only this time it's a young disabled filly. ....Somepony needs to call Celestia, because it sounds like Lightning Dust seriously needs to be locked up. :okiedokieloki:

I wonder how Lightning Dust will handle lawsuits if it ever comes to that. However been tangled by the rope and then been pulled by the speeding rocket is a punishment enough.

Edited by R.D.Dash
  • Brohoof 2

Over the course of this episode I wasn’t sure whether Rainbow’s actions were really based on her egoism or on her care for Scootaloo. But it proved to be the latter after all.

Lightning Dust is finally back, and she didn’t disappoint. Also, after this episode and “Friendship University” I see a pattern of not reforming the less evil antagonists. I’m really glad that’s the case. But I still think that Lightning Dust should have been punished for endangering a kid – and they just let her fly away instead.

Finally, a lot of yelling in this one. Spitfire was so over the top, it was actually great.

Spoiler

Rainbow Dash, will you quit ruining Lyra and Bon-Bon’s quality time together? It’s the third time this season! Just stahp.

1810634__safe_screencap_bon+bon_lyra+hea

• Brohoof 3

(edited)
9 minutes ago, Jeric said:

@MegaSean45 please post a poll on your episode topic when you get a change. Thank you.

I was gonna wait till the official release, but if you want me to do it today, I can! But thing is I didn't watch the English version yet of this OR Road to Friendship! :P I'm not even home right now! 

Gimmie till tonight, I'll do this then!

Edited by MegaSean45

I didn't think LD was all that "evil" in this ep. She was just ridiculously reckless. She probably thought Scoots COULD actually do that stunt when pushed into it.

She seems like the sort of pony who thinks that everyone around her is invincible by virtue of the fact that nothing bad has ever happened... yet.

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, gingerninja666 said:
  Hide contents

I kinda like the idea of Lightning Dust trying to push Scootaloo in her own way. It’s just that her way of doing it was, naturally for her, completely reckless.

She pushed Scootaloo into a situation probably confident that she could actually do it. I mean, she puts herself and the other Washouts in ridiculously dangerous situations as well. It wasn’t just Scoots.

Maybe her flaw is being unaware of how reckless her stunts are for everyone else

• Brohoof 1

24 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

Maybe her flaw is being unaware of how reckless her stunts are for everyone else

She knows how dangerous what does is, that’s the appeal. She just doesn’t care as she appears to have no value for life whatsoever. 

• Brohoof 3

18 minutes ago, Ganondox said:

She knows how dangerous what does is, that’s the appeal. She just doesn’t care as she appears to have no value for life whatsoever. 

No, she thinks that everyone involved with her is good enough to never be seriously hurt. Like, she saw no issue with her almost killing the Mane 6 in WA because Dash was good enough to save them.

She loves danger, but I'm not sure she fully comprehends that anything could go wrong.

Edited by gingerninja666
  • Brohoof 3

LD I would sum it as a "do it at your own risk" ideology with her. She makes the choice to put herself at risk for her stunts. So she applies the same expectations for anyone else that wants to work under her.

The LD and RD rivalry reminds me of the 90s.

Spoiler

imageproxy_php.png.ab1189dd691c3d4f48ac1e81c61905e1.png

• Brohoof 1

Rainbow Dash may not be one of my favorite ponies but this episode was great! It was cool to see Lightning Dust back after so long, and I liked how she was still up to her old reckless ways. It was also awesome to see how much Rainbow Dash cares about Scootaloo, and I thought the new Scootaloo Fan Club was a really nice touch. One thing though - did Lightning Dust actually die at the end? I mean, she got pulled away by the rocket, and then she disappeared and there was an explosion in the sky. I guess we'll have to wait for her to appear again. :huh:

Anyway, really great episode! First 10/10 in a while!

• Brohoof 1

13 minutes ago, Singe said:

The LD and RD rivalry reminds me of the 90s.

Reveal hidden contents

imageproxy_php.png.ab1189dd691c3d4f48ac1e81c61905e1.png

This comparison is pretty apt

• Brohoof 1

The way Rainbow dash was acting towards the start of the episode was rather annoying, trying to preserve her own lofty ego and not accepting competition. Rolling thunder and Short fuse were entertaining characters, and Rolling Thunder's voice is rather amazing to be honest. Lighting dust's voice is also rather amazing, quite frankly. I can see why the Washouts would be a rather bad 'idea' since the whole lack of safety thing but RD just needs to drop her ego and pride. Spitfire's introduction started out rather fine but it got rather annoying with overusing the same joke.

And this here, is hilarious haha.

Spoiler

DlLG2cs.png

Pinkie was actually rather tolerable here dare I say. It was actually satisfying to see RD save scootaloo, but eh.

2 hours ago, gingerninja666 said:

No, she thinks that everyone involved with her is good enough to never be seriously hurt. Like, she saw no issue with her almost killing the Mane 6 in WA because Dash was good enough to save them.

She loves danger, but I'm not sure she fully comprehends that anything could go wrong.

Look, you can make up all the insane excuses for Lightning Dust's behavior to avoid the obvious explanation grounded in actual psychology, but one thing that was made explicitly in the episode was the Lightning Dust was aware of how dangerous the stunt was, she just tried to brush it off. 

Lightning Dust: Dangerous? Nah! Well, maybe a little.

The claim that the danger is the appeal was also explicitly confirmed in the episode: 

Rainbow Dash: I can't believe Scootaloo ditched me to watch them practice! Why can't she see how dangerous they are?!
Twilight Sparkle: That's kind of the whole draw. It's exciting.

The fact you're actually falling for Lightning Dust's excuses is kinda sad and kinda hilarious. The thing with the balloon incident is that why she didn't kill them, she still destroyed their balloon in the very least, not killing them was a sorry excuse. For Lightning Dust, nothing is her fault, if some one get's hurt, it's their fault for being incompetent. That's what she says in Wonder Bolt Academy: 

Rainbow Dash: Thank you, ma'am. Um, Lightning Dust? Next time, maybe we don't cut the other teams off like that.
Lightning Dust: Hey, you snooze, you lose! Besides, Wonderbolts are supposed to be able to recover from a spin-out. You saw them on the Dizzitron! They could use the practice. I mean, it's not our fault we're so much better than those other guys! Not every pony is destined to become a Wonderbolt. Only the best of the best, right?

Of course, the actual explanation is obvious: Lightning Dust WANTED them to spin-out so she would get the competitive edge, and she's just reliving herself of all responsibility for her blatantly immoral actions. This is a real pattern of behavior some people have, it's called sociopathy. She's perfectly capable of comprehending the danger of her actions, she just doesn't care and it will find some sort of excuse to talk herself out of it if something goes wrong, that's what she does.

Edited by Ganondox
  • Brohoof 3

3 hours ago, Ganondox said:

Well ... Any Psychologist worth their salt would suggest that both the age of LD and the age of Scootaloo could lend themselves to sense of relative invincibility or a positive experience bias. "Yeah injuries happen in the stunts, but we and others always make it out just fine."

Negligence and undervaluing life are different things. She is dangerous, no doubt, but there is more evidence to support a general view that everyone will be fine.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Ganondox said:

Look, you can make up all the insane excuses for Lightning Dust's behavior to avoid the obvious explanation grounded in actual psychology, but one thing that was made explicitly in the episode was the Lightning Dust was aware of how dangerous the stunt was, she just tried to brush it off. 

I've seen that tone before. You might wanna step away and chill before you say something that might wind up being the last comment you can make in this thread. Just sayin'.

• Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Well ... Any Psychologist worth their salt would suggest that both the age of LD and the age of Scootaloo could lend themselves to sense of relative invincibility or a positive experience bias. "Yeah injuries happen in the stunts, but we and others always make it out just fine."

Negligence and undervaluing life are different things. She is dangerous, no doubt, but there is more evidence to support a general view that everyone will be fine.

I mean sure, she might not FEEL how dangerous it is and overestimate her own abilities as well as to some extent that of others, but she has some understanding that what she is doing is dangerous, even if she thinks she's invincible in the face of it. Also, she's significantly older than Scootaloo, she should know better. Rainbow Dash knows better, they're the same age. 

Edited by Ganondox

Also unrelated

Users are expected to put text in with images or videos or you are wasting your time because we will hide your  post. I know spoiler blocks bypass the countent character counter, but come on. Add a little love to your posts. ;)

5 minutes ago, Ganondox said:

I mean sure, she might not FEEL how dangerous it is and overestimate her own abilities as well as to some extent that of others, but she has some understanding that what she is doing is dangerous, even if she thinks she's invincible in the face of it. Also, she's significantly older than Scootaloo, she should know better. Rainbow Dash knows better, they're the same age. 

So every character on FiM of same age has the same maturity level or understanding of danger? Is that what you are saying?

Also yes, I said she feels that way, and see certainly knows they are dangerous, but these are not the same thing and not valuing life. 

• Brohoof 1