Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S08:E21 - A Rockhoof and a Hard Place

MangoFoalix
Message added by MangoFoalix

This thread will contain many spoilers about the episode at hand. Make sure to put your spoilers in a spoiler tag regardless so if someone accidentally clicks on it they don't get spoiled by what happens in the episode. Some people use the OP post to find an episode link so it wouldn't be fair to them.

Like or Dislike  

86 users have voted

1. 1. Like or Dislike?

• Rarity *crossly*: "[A teacher] who doesn't ruin an entire class's friendship quilts. Do you know how hard it is to stitch a pineapple pattern?!" (I HATE IT! >__<) 
    • Applejack: "Now this here's a right mash of apples." (I dislike it!) 
    • Spike *scratches head*: "Can you do that?" (…meh…)
    • Smolder: "He's definitely weird, but in a fun way. You never know what's gonna happen next with him." (I like it!)
    • Yona: "When Yona grow up, Yona want to be just like Professor Rockhoof!" (I LOVE IT! <3) 

8 hours ago, PathfinderCS said:

Finally, season 8 has it's god-tier episode; the equivalent to Perfect Pear and Shadow Play from season 7, IMO. Who would've thought that Rockhoof would've made for such an interesting, thought-provoking, funny, and just all around enjoyable episode? Color me VERY impressed!

Part of me thinks they made Rockhoof's story bland in "Campfire Tales" so, that he could have his breakout moment in "A Rockhoof in a Hard Place". 

• Brohoof 2

Spoiler

I don't know who nopony thought to put poor Rockhoof on a building demolition crew. They literally get paid for destroying stuff! 

On another note, the Yona love for him was pretty cute

Edited by Nightmare Muffin
  • Brohoof 1

Spoiler

Not a lot for me to say that hasn't been already mentioned on this episode. Very emotional one and rather dark considering its another one like for tanks for the memories dealing with death in its own way in a kids cartoon even. I did love the Twlight/snarky Spike interaction.

:ticking:: "As princess of friendship I do this."

I can't find a spike Emoji: "Can you do that?

:-P "Meh."

She's come such a long way from the rules obsessed pony she used to be.

On 8/26/2018 at 1:18 AM, Oleks said:

Although the episode itself is quite good, I didn’t find it completely satisfying. Here’s why.

Hide contents

It has the same problem as Season 7 finale – too many interesting characters are given to little screen time and development. This is the issue with the Pillars, IMO. I’d like to see an episode about each of them finding their place in the present Equestria, and what I get – one Star Swirl’s episode and one Rockhoof’s episode with a “by the way, that’s what happened to the rest of them” side note. Maybe I’m asking for too much, but I’d rather watch something like this than a bunch of “old friends fighting” episodes that felt like season 1.

Also, the suicide theme is strong in this one – MLP tackles another tough topic. And they did a good job with it. Some minor notes: Yona gets more and more adorable with every episode; the crystal garden is among the best visuals the show has ever provided; the number of VAs who worked on this episode is impressive; Bulk Bicep’s scream made me laugh really hard; and imagine parents deciding to name their daughter “Fossil” – I really hope it’s a surname.

I don't know if you could get a full episode out of each one but you could easily wind 2 together or show them as part of another storyline. A nice fluffy tale of how things have turned out . . bam then you see Rockhoof and his struggle to find his place.

On 8/26/2018 at 5:15 AM, Lord Valtasar said:

Hide contents

let's start with this, i really like rockhoofs voice and manerisms

a strong episode, portraying the problem of fitting in, even having yona compare herself to him, in case someone missed the message that you don't have to be a timetraveler to have the same problems
seeing where the pillars end up was also nice to know, especially for those who like writing fanfics i think, and yona relating to a pony is something only rockhoof could provide, so i'm glad we got that, makes me wonder though, why didn't they sent him to the yaks when they were looking to find him jobs, he'd fit right in with them
finaly, him wanting to be turned to stone is the closest thing we'll get to suicide thoughts, and since it is a very serious problem i'm glad they toutched it even if evasively
overal a nice episode but not one of the greats for me at least i'd give it a 7/10

That's what I was wondering why send him to the foreign country they did when its got nothing to do with his skills when there's another where not just his skills but his very personality is a perfect fit.

On 8/26/2018 at 11:04 AM, Ganondox said:

Like all body builders, Bulk's muscles are all show, Rockhoof is someone who is actually strong in a practical way. 

Actually from what we've seen Bulk is extremely strong in a practical way its just that Rockhoof is on another level it'd be like current Applejack arm wrestling season 1 Twilight there's just too big a difference between them hence the scream of pain.

Edited by Senko
  • Brohoof 1

One thing I noticed that I forgot to mention about Spike:

He seemed rather subdued in this episode - even downright lethargic. Usually his dialogue is a lot more snappy, and he's a lot more animated in general. The only time he seemed alert was when he tried to rescue Rockhoof from falling through the floor. His eyelids were half-closed for most of the time, and what was with the dark circles under his eyes? I didn't get the impression Twilight and Rockhoof were arguing about the Stone Sleep spell throughout the night, and dark circles like those would only be present if he had been kept awake that long.

Even though Spike was low-energy at times, he was still sharp - he saw right through Gallus' scheme of trying to get out of homework just because he was the sub again for Twilight. He even managed an amusing little retort: "Yeaaah, right - nice try." :mlp_smug:

Also, about the scene with Smolder:

Is a fire-breathing contest the dragon equivalent of a pissing contest? :laugh:
Either of those contests would be better served being done outdoors, one would think.

On 8/25/2018 at 8:04 PM, Ganondox said:

Like all body builders, Bulk's muscles are all show, Rockhoof is someone who is actually strong in a practical way. 

They are, however, apparently strong enough to cause Spike a great deal of discomfort since Bulk Biceps gave him the Extra Deep Tissue Massage back in "Castle, Sweet Castle." I had to smile just a bit at that scene with him and Rockhoof since Bulk now knows what it feels like to get a deep tissue massage from a muscle-bound therapist. :)

Edited by Truffles
Removed spoiler boxes
  • Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Truffles said:

One thing I noticed that I forgot to mention about Spike:

Hide contents

He seemed rather subdued in this episode - even downright lethargic. Usually his dialogue is a lot more snappy, and he's a lot more animated in general. The only time he seemed alert was when he tried to rescue Rockhoof from falling through the floor. His eyelids were half-closed for most of the time, and what was with the dark circles under his eyes? I didn't get the impression Twilight and Rockhoof were arguing about the Stone Sleep spell throughout the night, and dark circles like those would only be present if he had been kept awake that long.

Even though Spike was low-energy at times, he was still sharp - he saw right through Gallus' scheme of trying to get out of homework just because he was the sub again for Twilight. He even managed an amusing little retort: "Yeaaah, right - nice try." :mlp_smug:

Also, about the scene with Smolder:

Hide contents

Is a fire-breathing contest the dragon equivalent of a pissing contest? :laugh:
Either of those contests would be better served being done outdoors, one would think.

They are, however, apparently strong enough to cause Spike a great deal of discomfort since Bulk Biceps gave him the Extra Deep Tissue Massage back in "Castle, Sweet Castle." I had to smile just a bit at that scene with him and Rockhoof since Bulk now knows what it feels like to get a deep tissue massage from a muscle-bound therapist. :)

Spike was up all night playing world of Rarity.

• This topic was unfeatured and unpinned
  • This topic was featured and pinned

As someone who's studied public history, museum studies, and anthropology, I can VERY much relate to that poor mare's issues at the start of this episode.  I mean, yeah I feel bad for Rockhoof, but that'd be a nightmare for any anthropologist ^_^ (though the oral history opportunity would be priceless :ticking:). 

• Brohoof 3

OK, if Rockhoof doesn't end up doing SOMETHING with the Yaks, I am gonna be both pissed and surprised.  I mean, Yona clearly loves him already and he seems like he'd fit right in with them.  Bet he'd get into all kinds of awesome yak bar-brawls, just smashing shit all day. :-D

• Brohoof 2

I love Yona in this episode SO MUCH, and the little shovel...ahhh, that just makes me wanna cry. :(

• Brohoof 1

I enjoyed this episode, it showed all the Pillars are adtapting well, Rockhoof had a rough start, but Starswirl was also as well. It was cool that we get to see Mount Aris again and it was nice the Hippogriffs understood Rockhoof struggle.

I feel like the subtext present in this episode as to why suicide hurts the people around you more than the person themselves can be summed up by a single line of dialogue from Yona:

"Rockhoof Yona's friend, so Rockhoof belong!"

Great stuff. Great episode.

• Brohoof 2

Good episode. I wish they pointed out somewhere that the anthropology professor pony was wrong. Living things don't belong in Museums and frankly if that part of Equestria is RockHoofs home it should be HIS. Not the anthropologists because it seemed pretty obvious that they don't even live in Rockhoofs town and Rockhoof can lend them stuff for exhibits anyway. I love how the Mane 6 and especially Yona kept telling Rockhoof he had something to live for. I'v heard some bronies compare it to suicide prevention and I can totally see that. I hope Rockhoof ends up living with the Yaks. 

• Brohoof 3

I've said it before, but MAN was this a DAMN GOOD episode! Of those that have premiered in the US thus far it's my favorite of season 8. Oh man... :D

• Brohoof 2

Ha, whaddya know, I kinda called it.  I said right from the start that Rockhoof would be a great source of oral history, his first class was clearly going great, with his storytelling evidently enrapturing the students (his smashing up the classroom aside) and it turns out telling yarns to other ponies truly is his new calling after all (while also helping ponies remember and preserve their history, culture, and where they came from).  Awesome episode, if I do say so myself, and a pretty cool lesson to boot about the pricelessness of history, memory, and passing it on to others to help us understand how we got to where we are and where we came from.  This public historian, for one, VERY much appreciates that. :muffins:

P.S. For those pointing it out, yes there is also definitely a lesson here for suicide-prevention as well, which I have to commend the writers here for for handling so well.

P.P.S. Yona is officially best yak and is, frankly, just amazing overall.  I mean she is just such a fun ball of energy and I love every second of screen time that we get of her. :ticking:

• Brohoof 4

2 minutes ago, TheTaZe said:

Should I rewatch this? I watched it a few weeks ago so I already know what happens for the most part.

I say yes! All good episodes deserve a rewatch. :3

• Brohoof 3

Just now, PathfinderCS said:

I say yes! All good episodes deserve a rewatch. :3

Then I should probably put some time aside to watch it then! :muffins:

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, StitchandMLPlover said:

I wish they pointed out somewhere that the anthropology professor pony was wrong. Living things don't belong in Museums and frankly if that part of Equestria is RockHoofs home it should be HIS. Not the anthropologists because it seemed pretty obvious that they don't even live in Rockhoofs town and Rockhoof can lend them stuff for exhibits anyway.

Good point. I do wonder what the legal status of Rockhoof's home is? Would his being gone for 1000 years be enough to cause any deeds or other titles of ownership (or presumed ownership, if they didn't use legal documents back then) to be declared null and void and the property would become public? I suppose in our world there might be some precedent for that to be the case, but considering that Rockhoof is a living legend you would think the ponies there would show some consideration and build him a new village and items to make him feel at home.

In fact, one of the things he would have been useful for is showing the "equinologists" (aka, anthropologists) how those structures and items were built so new ones could be constructed. Asking straight from the horse's mouth (pun intended) seems like a better way of researching history than trying to discern it from studying artifacts.

• Brohoof 1

8 minutes ago, Batbrony said:

I said right from the start that Rockhoof would be a great source of oral history, his first class was clearly going great, with his storytelling evidently enrapturing the students (his smashing up the classroom aside)

Indeed, after the episode ended I realized if Twilight had put a little more thought into it she should have tried again with him being teacher and made him hold his classes outdoors (weather permitting). But then we wouldn't have gotten all this primo Yona time the episode gave us. :)

11 minutes ago, Batbrony said:

P.P.S. Yona is officially best yak and is, frankly, just amazing overall.

The funniest line that left me laughing was her exclamation during the "fire rescue":

Yona: "Professor Rockhoof best teacher ever! (sigh...) Day cannot get better!"

Rockhoof: "Let's get you outside, wee ones!"

Yona: "Day. Just. Got. Betterrrrrrrrrrr!" XD

Also, talk about a student totally smitten with her teacher. :kindness:

• Brohoof 4

15 minutes ago, gingerninja666 said:

Rockhoof has a lot of charisma. Which I really enjoy. Because he was one of the weaker Pillars in my opinion back during Shadow Play.

And "Campfire Tales." His legend was the least interesting of the three there as well.

17 minutes ago, Truffles said:

And "Campfire Tales." His legend was the least interesting of the three there as well.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that.

This episode actually makes that story retroactively feel a little better somehow. Rock kinda talks and moves like someone who used to have a much smaller body before miraculously gaining a larger one. He has a lot of energy and moves around a lot.
Swasfews

• Brohoof 1

Hmm. 

I really like the interactions between Rockhoof and the students. It went a long way towards making me care about a character who I otherwise had relatively little interest in. A lot of the fish-out-of-water humour didn't land for me at all, but Rockhoof just seems like a nice guy, and I found his company pleasant. Seeing what the Pillars were up to was cute, and I appreciate the clarification of some lingering questions, even if I'm still not super invested in any of them. 

I think this show has covered similar morals more effectively in the past, though, and this has an awfully predictable and repetitive structure. I had low expectations going in, which this exceeded, but I still found myself only mildly engaged, aside from the really pleasant bonding scenes between Rockhoof and the students. The mane six's inclusion seemed kinda perfunctory, but they're not really in it much anyway. Altogether, this is fine, but I'm a bit surprised by its lethargy; I tend to associate this show with momentum, so more repetitive episodes like this always surprise me.

Observations:

• I wish Equestria Girls had more eccentric classroom scenes like we've seen in Friendship is Magic this season. 
  • Rockhoof essentially resigning himself to a fate worse than death is awfully dark territory for this show, and also another good sign that the writers have finally thrown off the last of their shackles. 
  • Episodes like this are why I'm not entirely dissatisfied by the school gimmick. It's a change of pace for this show, even if it's not led to the creative revitalization that it could have.
  • I just feel like there are other places you could go to get stories much like this told with more novelty, creativity, and insight, and that's often my complaint with this show. I kinda wish it would stay in its lane.  

Score:
Entertainment: 6/10
Characters: 8/10
Themes: 7/10
Story: 5/10
Overall: 65/100

Edited by AlexanderThrond