Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Applejack, the least popular?

heavens-champion

I feel that she is not the most popular out of the mane 6, but she is not the least popular pony by any means. I think she is appreciated by many fans but not as many fans as their is of twilight and rarity. I also feel she is not appreciated as much as the other ponies because she is an earth pony much like pinkie pie.

• Brohoof 1

Comparing to the other m6 ponies her character doesn't really stand out as much as the others, they've tried to make her stand out with ridiculous stubbornness but personally I don't really think that aspect is necessary for her character.

In short I think the reason for unpopularity is the lack of impact that her character produces when appearing on the show and as such many people don't really pay attention to her subconsciously only if you specifically focus into her you can see the subtleness of her character which I think is really one of her strengths  

• Brohoof 1

On 8/11/2018 at 6:40 PM, Lord Midnight Madness said:

I feel that she is not the most popular out of the mane 6, but she is not the least popular pony by any means. I think she is appreciated by many fans but not as many fans as their is of twilight and rarity. I also feel she is not appreciated as much as the other ponies because she is an earth pony much like pinkie pie.

I don't think it's being an Earth pony. Her personality is the most (in the traditional sense) mature out of all 6. Her quirks don't involve random explosions of emotion like the other five, so she isn't going to get as noticed in the crowd. In a comedy, AJ definitely falls under the category of "the straight guy." The writers seemed aware of this from pretty early on though too, so I doubt anyone had a problem with it... "AJ cries on the inside"

From the beginning,  Applejack was my favourite because she was generally the most mature, and the pony I would most want to be friendly with, though I may be a wee bit biased become she was one of my favorites back in G1 when I was a kid, and a lot of my family has a Midwestern accent like hers.

However, making her already very likable and mature didn't give her much room for growth as a character, especially when the writers would rather give life changing plot points (i.e. becoming an aunt, sibling getting married, joining the Wonderbolts) to the characters they already see as more marketable, mainly Twilight, RD, and Pinkie. When has AJ ever had a life changing event happen to herself or a relative that didn't affect the other 5? (Anything involving the elements of harmony, working at the school, etc.)

• Brohoof 2

I doubt her popularity is the highest of the mane six, but she's not unpopular.  Besides, while I bleed Rarity, my favourite ship is Rarijack, which is 50% Applejack.  

On 8/13/2018 at 12:11 PM, Khoufu said:

From the beginning,  Applejack was my favourite because she was generally the most mature, and the pony I would most want to be friendly with, though I may be a wee bit biased become she was one of my favorites back in G1 when I was a kid, and a lot of my family has a Midwestern accent like hers.

However, making her already very likable and mature didn't give her much room for growth as a character, especially when the writers would rather give life changing plot points (i.e. becoming an aunt, sibling getting married, joining the Wonderbolts) to the characters they already see as more marketable, mainly Twilight, RD, and Pinkie. When has AJ ever had a life changing event happen to herself or a relative that didn't affect the other 5? (Anything involving the elements of harmony, working at the school, etc.)

Another problem might be the family. Not that it's a bad thing, but if the friends ever split up, I feel like AJ would have the least difficult time dealing with it, because she has those classic strong Southern ties to her enormous family. That may or may not have something to do with how balanced she is, in addition to the fact that she's dealt with a lot more tragedy (I'd say her parents were quite the life-changing event). I could do with an entire flashback episode about her having to take over the farm... unless that's been done and I just haven't seen it yet (I'm only half-way through E7.)

4 hours ago, Califorum said:

I would say she is unpopular, indeed. It also has relevance to how farmers these days aren't the most popular, but that doesn't make them any less important.

The classic southern u.s. as a terrible rep atm, especially in the past couple years. The writers even played with it, making A.J. a survivalist in the Starlight timeline.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, bornAgainEquestrian said:

The classic southern u.s. as a terrible rep atm, especially in the past couple years. The writers even played with it, making A.J. a survivalist in the Starlight timeline.

Oh it surely does, rather unfortunate.

• 1 month later...
On 8/15/2018 at 5:59 PM, bornAgainEquestrian said:

I don't remember Applejack being a survivalist. She was a factory worker in the Sombra timeline.

Edited by heavens-champion

4 hours ago, heavens-champion said:

I don't remember Applejack being a survivalist. She was a factory worker in the Sombra timeline.

They still had the farm but had converted it for mass-production. But there's definitely a hint of the other aspect too, with them all dressed up in camo fatigues even though they're far from the fighting. It's implied as much as could be done without it getting weird for a kids' show. Suffice is to say, I don't think they had any plan on leaving the farm if Sombra made it to Ponyville, and all that this implies.

They still had the farm but had converted it for mass-production. But there's definitely a hint of the other aspect too, with them all dressed up in camo fatigues even though they're far from the fighting. It's implied as much as could be done without it getting weird for a kids' show. Suffice is to say, I don't think they had any plan on leaving the farm if Sombra made it to Ponyville, and all that this implies.

That's what I meant by factory worker. They turned into a factory for apple sauce to feed the troops.

• Brohoof 1

12 minutes ago, heavens-champion said:

That's what I meant by factory worker. They turned into a factory for apple sauce to feed the troops.

Yeah I just got that "home defense" vibe from AJ's dress and also attitude. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it definitely felt like they were going as far as they could with the stereotype.

Yeah I just got that "home defense" vibe from AJ's dress and also attitude. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it definitely felt like they were going as far as they could with the stereotype.

Didn't look like a stereotype to me. More like a country during full-scale war.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...