Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What would happen to a Ponies Cuie mark if they were shaved?

Unity

did you even seen a picture of a horse (pony) up close?
their body hair isn't that long, to cover a cutiemark (which is some sort of magical tattoo?). so you'll see that "tamed" pony with a cutiemark all the time. only their mane is pretty long. body hair is too short. so even if you shave one, there'll be not much difference.

• Brohoof 1

I'm sorry, but you're all flat out wrong. This was already answered in Ponyville Confidential: The fur is what makes the cutie mark, not the skin.

Exhibit A: Snips' and Snails' cutie marks disappear when their fur is shaved to get rid of bubblegum. You can even see the remnants.

bscap0007.jpg.aefb0c0ad63a4262464b6740bfbce8cc.jpg

• Brohoof 3

28 minutes ago, FizzyGreen said:

Horses have skin like cats? That seems... weird.

Why wouldn't they have skin though? As far as I'm concerned, all mammals have some sort of skin.

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Sunny Fox said:

I'm sorry, but you're all flat out wrong. This was already answered in Ponyville Confidential: The fur is what makes the cutie mark, not the skin.

Exhibit A: Snips' and Snails' cutie marks disappear when their fur is shaved to get rid of bubblegum. You can even see the remnants.

I see. It is kinda strange to see it this way. Their fur is pretty long after all, but still their fur is always the same and we don't see hair. :confused:

5 minutes ago, H'rok said:

I see. It is kinda strange to see it this way. Their fur is pretty long after all, but still their fur is always the same and we don't see hair. :confused:

It is pretty strange to see it that way. Why is it on the fur and not the skin? Interesting.

• Brohoof 1

c'mon guys! are you serious? it's just a joke moment, referring to old cartoons like Tom&Jerry, mostly all old Disney shows and such.
example:
cj204.png

this moment with Snips and Snails is not cannon, just a funny ref.
imho of course, but I don't see how cutiemark would be on the fur... so y'all saying, that the fur is glowing... :okiedokieloki:
image.png.43bf81381abf5517da90be970f688487.png

Edited by Ethan Tran

1 hour ago, Califorum said:

It is pretty strange to see it that way. Why is it on the fur and not the skin? Interesting.

Maybe just the same as with a dog. de-hond-met-zwarte-vlekken-likt-zijn-gezOnly here it is on the flank. It is strange it is always looking the same since they should have long hair to cover their skin.

1 minute ago, Ethan Tran said:

of course, but I don't see how cutiemark would be on the fur... so y'all saying, that the fur is glowing... :okiedokieloki:

It is also strange skin is glowing. ;)

• Brohoof 1

17 minutes ago, H'rok said:

Maybe just the same as with a dog. de-hond-met-zwarte-vlekken-likt-zijn-gezOnly here it is on the flank. It is strange it is always looking the same since they should have long hair to cover their skin.

It is also strange skin is glowing. ;)

It's a magical world of colorful talking ponies, of course, strange glowing skin would be strange to us people.

31 minutes ago, Ethan Tran said:

imho of course, but I don't see how cutiemark would be on the fur... so y'all saying, that the fur is glowing... :okiedokieloki:

Ehh... just treat hair follicles like they're pixels on a computer monitor. Each follicle is set to grow hair of a specific color. So even if you shave, viola, cutie mark returns in a few days or weeks.

Edited by bornAgainEquestrian

7 hours ago, Sunny Fox said:

Thank you! You saved me the trouble of tracking down (or making) a screen capture. This was literally exactly what I thought of when I saw the thread. 

PS. On the far left, that pony is enjoying Snips and Snail's plight just a LITTLE too much!

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Will Guide said:

It's a magical world of colorful talking ponies, of course, strange glowing skin would be strange to us people.

I know, but I was playing on the comment above which said glowing fur could not be, so it had to be on the skin. ;)

Edited by H'rok

7 hours ago, Ethan Tran said:

c'mon guys! are you serious? it's just a joke moment, referring to old cartoons like Tom&Jerry, mostly all old Disney shows and such.
example:
cj204.png

this moment with Snips and Snails is not cannon, just a funny ref.
image.png.43bf81381abf5517da90be970f688487.png

While I agree with you that the intent of the scene was to make a joke, that doesn't in any way make it non-canon. It's still evidence that a cutie mark disappears when the fur is shaved off, which is what the OP was asking. 

The fur doesn't need to glow, the hair just grows out in whatever colour is needed to make up the cutie mark.

As for the dalmation fact: it's interesting, true, but that doesn't really make any kind of a difference to the world of the show. 

Actually, I too thought at first it would be obvious that the cutie mark would be on the skin, not the fur, so I was surprised when I turned up the screenshot. But one has to follow the evidence presented. :)

• Brohoof 1

I font think it would affect it any way as I think it is kinda become one flesh with the pony that has it. By that I mean that you cannot really get rid of it unless you force it off with magic or physically chop it off. It seemed pretty painful  when starlight was ripping them so i I don't think simple shaving could erase it 

What I'm curious about is Starlight's pulling the cutie mark off them and replacing it with the equals signs, same with Twilight's miscast spell and the maps glowing colourshift. If we assume that its the coat itself growing in a different colour than those would all be events where the colour of individual hair/fur follicles are actually being changed on them. Could explain why it tickles though.