Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Dropped plot points

ManaMinori

Since it seems like the series is beginning to wrap up, I want to address something.....

what ever happened to the renovation of the Castle of the Two Sisters?

What ever happened to Sweetie Belle's love of singing, which was shown in many episodes?

Or Apple Bloom's fondness of potion making ever since she met Zecora in "Bridle Gossip"?

Or Scootaloo's pursuing more tricks with her scooter?

They just seemed to be forgotten ever since "Twilight Time", where they showcased the skills that they've been working so hard on. Rumble addressed this in the episode "Marks and Recreation", and neither of the CMC could give answer as to why they had stopped pursuing these things, as Rumble's argument was logical- their cutie marks and their "purpose" kept the CMC from them. But the Mane 6 all continue to do side projects and hobbies that they enjoy in spite of their jobs that incorporate their talents in some way. So why have all these pplot points been dropped? Will we see them conclude before the series ends?

I think stuff like that makes the show interesting. I mean if everything was wrapped up it would feel kinda dull and closed off. I think it's important to leave a sense of openness into the show/franchise because that is a good way to get people who are following the show more into it.

Thinking about the possibilities is lot better than some solid conclusion I think 

• Brohoof 2

Different writers mean that certain ideas will end up being scrapped in favour of others that better fit the show's overall narrative. Of course, I suspect that Hasbro also plays a role in what is kept and what gets dropped.

• Brohoof 1

I agree that the Castle of the Two Sisters was mysteriously dropped after the Power Ponies episode. The writers gave it two episodes after featuring it in the Princess Twilight Sparkle 2-parter. It's a shame we haven't seen anything about it since then or even seeing what happened to Celestia and Luna's diary. Though Twilight probably gave it back to them.

Doesn't Hasbro really have a say what goes in the episodes anyway? It sounds they tried to build it up to release a toy playset but dropped it for some reason.

Another plot point would be Sombra's red horn. It's still out there for somepony to find. Hopefully the writers will think to bring it back.

• Brohoof 1

I always thought that they'll make a school out of that castle of two sisters.. but they never did.

so maybe there'll be a new library with archives? or we just have to wait for a new giant villain, to destroy that place to dust? idk.
but I agree, that because of different writers and directors and hasbro plans on mlp, we see what we see now.

same goes to CMC. maybe young actresses who voiced them didn't have much time, maybe they think that they show enough of young creatures in the show, so CMC is no longer needed that much of airtime to appeal to the youngest auditory.
all and all. you should ask these questions to the creators of the show, if you really want to know the answer.. write them a letter or sth. maybe that'll change sth. who knows...

37 minutes ago, Twilight Luna said:

Another plot point would be Sombra's red horn. It's still out there for somepony to find. Hopefully the writers will think to bring it back.

They addressed that in the comics. Fiendship is Magic #1 and Siege of the Crystal Empire dealt with that plot point. 

Spoiler

It ends with Sombra coming back to life, becoming a good guy and dating his childhood sweetheart. It's as lame as it sounds.

As for the OP. Recently they shifted focus with the CMC and a lot of current CMC material seems to be based around urban-style adventures with mystery solving stuff, I guess because the "Ponyville Mysteries" books were popular. They did sort of readdress Sweetie's naturally whimsical personality in "Surf And/Or Turf", but Apple Bloom's potion making character arc seems to be forgotten for good. 

29 minutes ago, Jordan D said:

They addressed that in the comics. Fiendship is Magic #1 and Siege of the Crystal Empire dealt with that plot point. 

Hide contents

It ends with Sombra coming back to life, becoming a good guy and dating his childhood sweetheart. It's as lame as it sounds.

Yeah, I read that. Wasn't a big fan of it. I have a feeling that the writers made him a one-time villain and that's it.

9 hours ago, Twilight Luna said:

I agree that the Castle of the Two Sisters was mysteriously dropped after the Power Ponies episode. The writers gave it two episodes after featuring it in the Princess Twilight Sparkle 2-parter. It's a shame we haven't seen anything about it since then or even seeing what happened to Celestia and Luna's diary. Though Twilight probably gave it back to them.

She probably did give it back, since she has the Castle of Friendship, now.

I don't think Apple Bloom's potion stuff was "forgotten" because as you said, it was adressed in Marks and Recreation. I think she just grew out of it after she got her mark, and became more interested in CMC related stuff (she was always the one who seemed most into the group's activities in general)

And in Surf and/or Turf, the musical nature of the Harmonizing Heights was a lot of what appealed to Sweetie Belle about it, which harkens back to her musical inclinations.

Edited by gingerninja666
  • Brohoof 2

@Ethan Tran

The Castle of the 2 Sisters is in the middle of the forest away from town. It wouldn't be practical to live in there or have a school there unless you wanted to have some solitude. All our heroes did was clean it up a bit. 

That's why Twilight's Castle appearing near the back of Ponyville makes much more sense. She would be close to home.

Edited by Will Guide

12 hours ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

What ever happened to Sweetie Belle's love of singing, which was shown in many episodes?

Or Apple Bloom's fondness of potion making ever since she met Zecora in "Bridle Gossip"?

There is that 22, 23 minute mark each episode cannot go over, and that 26 episode maximum per season. With more and more characters being added, the time there is for things like you mentioned is getting smaller and smaller. It's also likely that the writers have either forgotten or left behind these things for whatever reason. That's a problem with the show: it has way too many characters to keep track of, way too many paths to explore, and a small amount of time left to do both.

4 minutes ago, EpicEnergy said:

There is that 22, 23 minute mark each episode cannot go over, and that 26 episode maximum per season. With more and more characters being added, the time there is for things like you mentioned is getting smaller and smaller. It's also likely that the writers have either forgotten or left behind these things for whatever reason. That's a problem with the show: it has way too many characters to keep track of, way too many paths to explore, and a small amount of time left to do both.

While I do agree that show does have too many characters to keep track of at all times most of them are usually not important enough to keep around. Even if the Season 9 spoilers are true, they still have a season to somehow fill up some of these plot holes. The show is not perfect and I respect that but at least the writers are somewhat toying around with new ideas.

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, Will Guide said:

@Ethan Tran

The Castle of the 2 Sisters is in the middle of the forest away from town. It wouldn't be practical to live in there or have a school there unless you wanted to have some solitude. All our heroes did was clean it up a bit. 

That's why Twilight's Castle appearing near the back of Ponyville makes much more sense. She would be close to home.

then what's the point of cleaning it up if it's a place no one ever goes? The Mane 6 don't hang out there, and no one else from Ponyville is brave enough to even step foot in the forest, so what's the point?

5 minutes ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

then what's the point of cleaning it up if it's a place no one ever goes? The Mane 6 don't hang out there, and no one else from Ponyville is brave enough to even step foot in the forest, so what's the point?

To give some respect to the original home of the 2 sisters. Plus, the Tree of Harmony is still under the castle via the nearby gorge. "No one ever goes there!" You say. That's no longer true. You must have missed the Episode (The Mean 6) where the Mane 6 planned to camp near the Tree of Harmony.

Also, Don't forget there was a forgotten library there that Twilight was so excited to see. Obviously, she had the books moved to the new library in the Friendship Castle

23 hours ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

I presume it happened off-screen, because it wasn't very exciting. I sort of forgot this was a thing. 

They haven't had many episodes separate from each other lately, so these things have just never been relevant. It's a side effect of the CMC mostly sharing their episodes with each other, as we've never seen them in a situation where they could pursue their individual interests. 

Rumble addressed this in the episode "Marks and Recreation", and neither of the CMC could give answer as to why they had stopped pursuing these things, as Rumble's argument was logical- their cutie marks and their "purpose" kept the CMC from them.

This episode was written this way because, for some godforsaken reason, the writers just can't imagine what happens offscreen anymore. We saw the CMC pursue different interests in season 6's "On Your Marks," and there's no reason they couldn't have continued pursuing them, even if we don't see it. That's part of why that Rumble episode didn't sit right with me. Sure would be nice if those interests were brought up again, though.