Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP in other countries

LucasB

I know MLP is most popular in United States where most people will recognize what it is.

I'm wondering how popular MLP is in other countries, and that if people would recognize a pony picture as My Little Pony.

Specifically, I'm wondering about European and Asian countries, especially China. Today as I was sitting in a Mall in Beijing I opened my laptop and my Rainbow Dash desktop background came up. I'm wondering if people will actually know it's MLP rather than some random cartoon character. I haven't seen MLP merch or ads anywhere here.

• Brohoof 2

In Poland some of the bigger cities organize ponymeets every once in a while, usually nothing too fancy, we do have some bigger cons sometimes plus there often are conventions organized by both bronies and otakus, not too sure how the situation looks like rn, there is supposed to be a bigger meet in my neighbourhood which you could call a small con I guess, some voice actors are invited (from the Polish MLP dubbing I believe), some fandom artists, stuff like that; I do know former cons often had some Bronypalooza-like concerts with three or four artists. 

As for the community itself, it's decreasing as of late (just like everywhere else I guess), as far as I know you can spot some brownies with their merch in big cities, I don't really get to see too many though (except for these I personally know). I'd risk saying MLP is unexistent in the popculture, lots of people still have no clue G4 exists, the subject of bronies is rare within the mass media, you can buy horse merch on the internet and ponymeets/cons, toys are available in most of toy stores I guess, not that I buy any

Edited by Buttaflight

In my country, it's quite popular for kids but idk if there are many older bronies here.

I know some friends who watch the show but only a few people, not to mention that all of them are girls :sealed:. I know that there is some kind of social media group for bronies and pegasisters, but I don't really care about it.

Here in Ukraine it's a somewhat popular "little kids show", mostly watched by children and frequently recognized by their parents, but that's pretty much it. Although we have a brony community and even an annual con, but it's mainly restricted to big cities.

Edited by Oleks
  • Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Kevin Tang said:

In my country, it's quite popular for kids but idk if there are many older bronies here.

I know some friends who watch the show but only a few people, not to mention that all of them are girls :sealed:. I know that there is some kind of social media group for bronies and pegasisters, but I don't really care about it.

Similar sicuation here in Scotland...
We do have a convention though... which is atleast somethin

Here in Austria I see a lot of small girls running around with MLP backpacks and other merch. It is quite popular in children here and you can find some merch in almost every shop - from carpets to lipstick to bags and pencases, you can get everything with G4 MLP motives.

I have never spotted another brony IRL, even though I'm lurking around in a lot of toystores and stores with MLP sections. So I guess most other bronies buy their stuff over the internet, haha.

But it still is recognized by people, that's why I'm only using and having my MLP merch at home.

• Brohoof 1

Pop culture in US = pop culture in western world.

While that might not necessarily be 100% accurate, I would say that novadays kids and adults alike watch more or less same shows and movies, wear same kind of clothes, follow same instagram celebrities and listen same music around the globe. People here in Northern Europe no doupt would recognise MLP characters as they would instantly identify Pikatchu or Spiderman. Even though show isn't as popular as it was some years ago, it still have vast fanbase among little girls. MLP toys are still sold in every supermarket and dubbed version of the show is currently aired almost every working day from two separate channels.

1 hour ago, Sherbert Music-Guard said:

Similar sicuation here in Scotland...
We do have a convention though... which is atleast somethin

There is no local or national conventions at all. But I don't really care about it.

• 2 years later...

It's quite popular in Russia, most people who spend their time in internet know about mlp and bronies, I often see mlp badges on backpacks along with anime ones. Plus really a lot of mlp artists here

• Brohoof 1

It's popular here in Mexico but not as much as to do a convention or go around showing your love for ponies in public because people will gather around and destroy you for it because they are very intolerant towards anything that is not cis hetero and even if mlp is not really about that they will not care and call you names or bully you.

The only groups I see around are either in amino (which I just guess is for latin america in general) or a very small group on facebook. I haven't seen anyone buying pony merch in the mall so I guess they mostly order them to mail. I haven't seen anyone in public showing any pony related stuff, except if they are a girl sometimes... Or a very small child. It makes me sad because it perpetuates the stereotype...

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2020 at 8:58 AM, Ittoni said:

It's popular here in Mexico but not as much as to do a convention or go around showing your love for ponies in public because people will gather around and destroy you for it because they are very intolerant towards anything that is not cis hetero and even if mlp is not really about that they will not care and call you names or bully you.

The only groups I see around are either in amino (which I just guess is for latin america in general) or a very small group on facebook. I haven't seen anyone buying pony merch in the mall so I guess they mostly order them to mail. I haven't seen anyone in public showing any pony related stuff, except if they are a girl sometimes... Or a very small child. It makes me sad because it perpetuates the stereotype...

I agree with this, most of the people in México is just plain mean, at least when it comes to being "different", and MLP is not the exception. You won't see people or male adults at least wearing an MLP garment or showing their fanaticism if you do not ask them directly or check their social networks (and sometimes not even like that), soo, yeah,I wouldn't say it's specially popular (not anymore), but if that was the case, it's still hard to find other bronies, most of the people will think the show is just another show for childrens that their little cousins or sisters watch.

• Brohoof 1

Well, here in germany, it is a little bit difficult. The brony scene is really big here in germany. We have one of the biggest conventions in europe (GalaCon) and in most cities, there are meetups and also other brony events. The biggest german brony forum Bronies.de has over 15000 members, but a big number of them are also from other german speaking countries like Austria or Switzerland. But on the other side, MLP as a toy is not that big. You find in every store who sells toys MLP stuff, but usually (or at least what I have experienced) not that much. One main reason is that there is a product called Filly who is almost like MLP, but more common by kids here in germany. I also saw more Filly stuff than MLP stuff. I also have the feeling that the show and the movie was also not so populare here in germany. Ok, I am not sure if it still so nowadays, but in the time where I was active in the german fandom (from 2012 until 2017), it was so.

Edited by IronM17

In Romania if i don't mistake, it is a bit popular for kids. I don't really know if there is some older Romanian bronies watching it. :sealed: 

Maybe here is some very rarely older Romanian bronies, or l am the only Romanian brony who is watching mlp, still thinking about that... :huh: