Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Flash Sentry

LucasB

Flash Sentry got the shaft thanks to the writers. They tried to create a love interest for Twilight but instead created a character that was just a goody goody Mary Sue. His only personality trait was to be nice to Twilight. 

Edited by Twilight Luna
  • Brohoof 4

Mostly because of the Waifu possessiveness on Twi, and saw Flashy as a threat for it, and it doesn't help that there was little else shown of him, and the writers haven't bothered to do more with him.

He has been getting some attention, but is rather niche. However, there's apparently an upcoming special based on a released book where he's finally getting a bigger role. Maybe as much as human Trix in Forgotten Friendship, but after years, is to die for

• Brohoof 3

He's a nice character when he's not being influenced by evil singing of sirens. Plus, given that he used to be Sunset's boyfriend, it's easy to see where Sunset picked up her guitar skills that surprised her friends.

He was actually nice and encouraging to Human Twilight even though at the time, she just won the round for the other team in the 3rd film, unlike in the 2ND when the Sirens' magic influenced him to uncharacteristically lash out at the Twilight he was crushing on.

• Brohoof 2

2 minutes ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

Flash got mistreated by the writers. In the attempt to make a love interest for human Twilight, they accidentally forgot to make him more than a two dimensional cardboard cut-out. 

But did that love interest really need to happen in the first place?

• Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, shyabetes3939 said:

But did that love interest really need to happen in the first place?

No it wasn't, but maybe they wanted to try it in some form, without changing the mane show. I think it was more of a try out, which is why Flash is so two dimensional. :dash:

• Brohoof 1

18 minutes ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

Flash got mistreated by the writers. In the attempt to make a love interest for human Twilight, they accidentally forgot to make him more than a two dimensional cardboard cut-out. 

Or the writers had no idea how to write teen romance. 

The writers wrote him initially as a potential love interest for Twilight and gave him a personality that made him come off as being the perfect guy. This resulted in the fandom portraying him in a negative fashion that lingered for a few years before their opinion started to change once he was fleshed out and given more development as a character. Arguably, Flash Sentry was at his best during Legend of Everfree where he provided advice to Sunset and saw that she had changed for the better.

• Brohoof 7

• 1 month later...

People don't like him because he's, as Elvis would put it, "a hunka hunka burnin in love." I mean look at him, the hair the bod! His friggin trans am! He's cool AF. 

Which means he's a threat. Sunset is my girlfriend! And sci twi,  deffinantly first in line for when sunset breaks my heart which she's bound to do sooner or later because of her commitment issues. 

It was because Flash had the personality of a cardboard box in the first three movies. Didn't help the fact that the love story thing was very poorly written. Legend of Everfree was the only movie where they actually gave him some character, but by then, they dropped the romance thing anyways.

It's bad writing...

The whole movie suffers from bad writing, and other characters also act dumb, but they are human versions of ponies like Celestia, Luna, Mane six. Twilight is even the real Twilight at that time.

Flash Sentry to EQG is like Jar Jar Binks to Star Wars ep1. He is not the only problem, but an easiest target and the most annoying one. He acts like the one in high school horror films that everybody wants him dead. (and eventually he is)

Flash Sentry is more acceptable in Legend of Everfree because he doesn't act like a badly written crappy cliched high school romance character. He acts like a living human being with a brain and emotions.

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura

Flash Sentry is fine. Even before he was given adequate time to develop, I never found him annoying. I quickly grew tired of people whining about him, and to anyone who legitimately believes in him or any love interest character "stealing their waifu"...I have no words. :maud:

I explained why long ago, but to give the essence:

1. He exists purely for being Princess Twilight's love interest. His skin color isn't nearly opposite along the color wheel by accident. Purple and yellow complement each other.
  2. Flash's presence alone degrades Twilight Sparkle as a character. Each time they interact, it's forced and begun by a clichéd inadvertent bump. They don't show chemistry beyond the high school clichés and stereotypes. Why does she crush on him? Because he's cute and hot. Nothing personality-related at all.
  3. On top of being the sexist love hunk stereotype, he's completely pointless in every single movie he's in. Write him out (and cut out the atrocious interrogation scene), and nothing changes. Even in Everfree, which humanizes him somewhat and is (ironically) a strength, amounts to nothing but closing a subplot that should never have passed Draft #1 of EQG1.
  4. Most characters are interesting in a variety of ways, from the Mane Eight and CMCs overcoming their own flaws and obstacles to the background ponies doing something interesting in the background. Flash Sentry is well off, is quite good at his hobbies, has no ambitions or goals to pursue, and is set. He's a Gary Stu with no organic personality flaws to overcome. That makes his background boring; unfortunately, his personality's quarter-dimensional cardboard, as well.

In short, he's a poorly-thought-out and badly-written character.

Edited by Dark Qiviut

He was used pretty badly in the first movie and people didn't feel it was strictly necessary to have pony Twilight had a romantic crash on the human from another dimension/planet

Edited by R.D.Dash

They took the pony version out completely.. at least have them become a friend or something.  I honestly don't care what his roles are, but pretending that he never exist is just stupid. As for the human version, again don't care.

• 4 weeks later...

Thing is, I don't see him as a super bad character... or even a bad character.  I just think that he was honestly 'written out' before they could really start developing his backstory too much.  Cuz we don't spend too much time with him to get to really know him anyways.  And since he was pretty much written out, we really don't get much more for him.

Other background characters, well we actually spend time with them, thus we do get to know more about them.  You can't 'judge' the character if they don't show what's going on in his own life.