Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

science What are your views on alien life forms?

Luna's Admirer

Just a question I am thinking about lately. Do you believe in the existence of aliens? Do you think there maybe any intelligent life-forms like us humans or maybe higher? If higher then how do you define higher? What about their physical appearance and abilities?

Do you believe they'd also have religions and beliefs like we do? What's your general opinion about them? 

images(6).jpg.b2e89dde542bb2f8b4e9ffc7ede731a0.jpg

• Brohoof 4

I believe in aliens, the universe is so vastly large there is most certainly life out there somewhere, they probably would have religions, languages, and the like. Though, those are human concepts, its possible they may something completely different.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
12 minutes ago, Califorum said:

I believe in aliens, the universe is so vastly large there is most certainly life out there somewhere, they probably would have religions, languages, and the like. Though, those are human concepts, its possible they may something completely different.

I guess, it depends upon their environment as well as physical needs as well as mindset (assuming they're sapient beings). They may have some morals akin to us and some totally different than us. 

Edited by Totally An Admirer
  • Brohoof 2

Just now, Totally An Admirer said:

I guess, it depends upon their environment as well as physical needs. They may have some morals akin to us and some totally different than us. 

Exactly. Life out there is probably alot different to us, but some would be similar.

• Brohoof 2

If there's anything out there, most of it is probably microbial. Some of the most resilient life forms on earth are small extremophiles that can survive--and even thrive--in conditions that would normally be hostile to life. Who's to say there aren't some of these as close to home as the ice-covered ocean of Jupiter's moon Europa? Or the recently discovered underground lake on Mars?

If there's anything intelligent though, I don't think there's any of it in the rest of our solar system, though. Maybe on a planet orbiting a distant star.

• Brohoof 5

4 minutes ago, Prospekt said:

If there's anything out there, most of it is probably microbial. Some of the most resilient life forms on earth are small extremophiles that can survive--and even thrive--in conditions that would normally be hostile to life. Who's to say there aren't some of these as close to home as the ice-covered ocean of Jupiter's moon Europa? Or the recently discovered underground lake on Mars?

If there's anything intelligent though, I don't think there's any of it in the rest of our solar system, though. Maybe on a planet orbiting a distant star.

I know, that Earth is the only inhabitable planet in our solar system.

But what if life can be evolved from different particles than our own planet. 

I believe there's  other life form beside here on earth. I bet they're thinking the same thing too about us.

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, Califorum said:

Oh my goodness me too they can be anywhere

I'm in agreement with @Prospekt: The existence of microorganisms living beyond Earth is very probable. With that said, the "Goldilocks" environment of Earth seems to be the exception rather than the norm -- at least in our corner of the universe. If there are indeed other "intelligent" beings (and this is using our definition of intelligence), then human beings are part of a rare breed.

• Brohoof 2

I think about this sometimes when I'm doing some astrophotography or just looking at the planets. I tend to think that we're not alone. As others have pointed out, the universe is vast, so there must be some other form of life out there.

If there are advanced alien civilizations, I hope they're friendly. If not, at least we have distance on our side. lol

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

@Harper, @Califorum, @R.D.Dash, and others who've replied:

Just a quick question to all of you. How many of you believe that Equestria can exist in an Alternate world where rules of reality are differ than us. Just a thought, is there a chance that we'll one meet an intelligent magical equine life form, and other other mythological characters such as (Griffin and Dragons etc.)

300px-My_little_pony_friendship_is_magic_group_shot_r.png.4b4707fd9d37bf36988bc820c149d032.png

Edited by Totally An Admirer
  • Brohoof 3

Just now, Harper said:

Uh, I mean nothing is absolutely impossible but the chances are probably extremely slim if there are any at all, also reality wouldn't be different to us in the same universe as everything is governed under the same laws of physics. It is certainly possible that intelligent four legged creatures exist or winged creatures like dragons exist on other planets but they wouldn't be anything like Equestria I would have thought

Good point. :ooh:

to me i think there is something out their becouse of u know.......ufos i know i know its silly but i do think something is out there and i dont think its the normal alien look that we all know just something way diffrent.

Edited by FeatherStream

I've been an alien enthusiast since a young age. I love to watch Alien documentaries on TV, though given how cash-crabby, attention hogging and unreliable the greater Alien/UFO community has gotten recently, I've been retreating from it. Still, I'm a huuuuge Alien nerd, especially for Gray/Zeta-Reticulan aliens. I love reading about older incidents, from the 20s-70s, they're typically far more fascinating than modern incidents 

I know most of it is bunkus, but I love the urban legends and paranormal nature surrounding the lore, you know? As for the question in the OP, I do think aliens have religion. I believe religion, or spiritualism is simply a natural thing for most intelligent species to begin to practice, aliens included.I always found the idea of alien religion to be utterly fascinating, by the way, even if most media depictions of it tend to boil down to generic elder-god stuff.

Generally speaking, my perspective on alien life is that it's completely non-existent. The only place that can sustain life is earth, and everywhere else simply does not have that capability.

2 hours ago, EpicEnergy said:

Generally speaking, my perspective on alien life is that it's completely non-existent. The only place that can sustain life is earth, and everywhere else simply does not have that capability.

But is it really that unreasonable to assume that somewhere in the universe there's at least one other planet capable of sustaining life? 

• Brohoof 3

I think it's an expression of human conceit to proclaim "Earth is the only planet to support intelligent life forms."  In the uncounted vastness of stars in all the galaxies detected so far, how can anyone think "Nope, only Sol Three can support life as we know it." We may never have the technology to visit our nearest stellar neighbor in person. Proxima Centauri, at 4.24 light years, could possibly be reached in less than a century by a robotic probe using concepts introduced in science fiction. Solar sails, an Orion type putt-putt engine powered by atomic bombs ejected one after another behind a vast "pusher plate", or even  some X factor FTL drive yet to be invented. If humanity doesn't drive itself extinct, a possible neighbor may even visit us, once we grow up as a species.

(we're still temper tantrum throwing babies, on a cosmic scale. Nothing sane would venture near Earth right now)

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 3

1 hour ago, Yamet said:

But is it really that unreasonable to assume that somewhere in the universe there's at least one other planet capable of sustaining life? 

I'll give some reasons as to why I think there is no alien life and that no other planet can sustain it.

1) I think this is illogical based on scientific reasons. Earth is the only planet with oxygen, and we know that because oxygen is produced only through phytoplankton and plants. Plants require carbon dioxide, sunlight, various nutrients, water, and humidity to live, and phytoplankton require sunlight, water, and nutrients to live. Only the planet Earth fulfills all of those requirements; therefore, only earth can produce a sufficient amount of oxygen required for life. Water contains oxygen, without oxygen water wouldn't be water; therefore, we don't see water on any other planet so there couldn't be a sufficient amount of oxygen or the necessity of water on another planet. Earth is the perfect distance from the sun, so a planet must be the perfect distance away from any sun to have the chance to sustain life, which eliminates tons of planets from having that qualification.

2) I also have a religious belief, and this certain belief reduces the possibility of sentient life on other planets. I won't go into it though, as it will bring up more arguments that are off topic.

3) There is no evidence whatsoever that sentient beings can exist in the atmospheres of other planets. There is also no evidence that sentient beings can adapt, or even survive, with the lack of the necessities that only earth has.

4) To believe there is other life out there, and to go to the extreme of saying there is an intellectual sentient race out there, simply holds no ground and is like saying that we are on the flat earth while ignoring the physical pictures, witnesses, and science of the round earth. There is a lot of evidence that sentient life and a "second earth" could not exist because of scientific reasoning and images from satellites and space stations, and the fact that if a human being went into outer space that he would die in a few minutes also disproves alien life.

5) One could bring up the argument that there is the vastness of outer space that has an unknowable end or maybe even no end at all, and will always remain unexplored no matter how "evolved" human intelligence becomes. This isn't proof for the existence of sentient life outside of Earth though, because it couldn't have existed to begin with, since life needs a beginning. If aliens did exist, then they would have been in the universe before or at the same time as us (depending on your belief). We would have seen them by now, or at least seen another planet with the exact same attributes as Earth. Other minor arguments could be made in these areas, but most lead to other debates based on beliefs, which is off-topic.

6) Humans and human brains are rather deceptive, and while the truth doesn't change, our knowledge of it does. The fact that any human being will never comprehend or gain complete knowledge of every single planet and place in outer space places the illogical thought that there could be something out there when it isn't. Just because there is an empty space doesn't mean it will have something we don't know about in it.

These are the reasons why I believe that it is completely illogical to say that sentient life exists outside of Earth. I have more reasons, and I could also do more research and discuss deeper into these areas, but some would lead off-topic and I already covered the main areas. I also don't want to spend too much time discussing this, since it can become a very long discussion. In conclusion, I will never believe in the existence of alien life until I actually receive concrete evidence of it, such as the discovery of an alien itself, not just an alleged discovery of what could be a sign of alien life.

Edited by EpicEnergy
grammar

1 minute ago, EpicEnergy said:

I'll give some reasons as to why I think there is no alien life and that no other planet can sustain it.

1) I think this is illogical based on scientific reasons. Earth is the only planet with oxygen, and we know that because oxygen is produced only through phytoplankton and plants. Plants require carbon dioxide, sunlight, various nutrients, water, and humidity to live, and phytoplankton require sunlight, water, and nutrients to live. Only the planet Earth fulfills all of those requirements; therefore, only earth can produce a sufficient amount of oxygen required for life. Water contains oxygen, without oxygen water wouldn't be water; therefore, we don't see water on any other planet so there couldn't be a sufficient amount of oxygen or the necessity of water on another planet. Earth is the perfect distance from the sun, so a planet must be the perfect distance away from any sun to have the chance to sustain life, which eliminates tons of planets from having that qualification.

So do you really think in the whole vastness of space Earth is the only planet to meet these requirements? Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggestion that every other planet is filled to the brim with various aliens, just that there's a possibility that some planet somewhere have some form of life on it.  

19 minutes ago, EpicEnergy said:

If aliens did exist, then they would have been in the universe before or at the same time as us (depending on your belief). We would have seen them by now, or at least seen another planet with the exact same attributes as Earth.

What makes you think we would have seen them by now? The truth of the matter is that we are unable to fully observe the whole universe with the technology we have today so there's no guarantee that just because we haven't seen it it doesn't exist. 

• Brohoof 5

There is overwhelming evidence that aliens have and do visit Earth. See Project Blue Book Special Report Number 14.

Look at the work by Stanton Friedman. He is a nuclear physicist who had security clearances and worked on nuclear rocket technology in the 1960s. He is a very intelligent man and an expert on the topic. People like him do real research, getting government documents and gathering data. Meanwhile, some jack ass will declare from his couch that aliens don't exist.

Edited by Totally Spicy BronyNumber 2A
  • Brohoof 4