Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S08:E23 - Sounds of Silence

Will Guide
Message added by Jeric

Warning, there will likely be spoilers in the Episode discussion threads so venture in at your own peril. 

Spoiler tags are OPTIONAL! 

Episode Rating  

121 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like or dislike the Episode?

• This episode makes me so angry, my fury could burn a whole forest (HATE IT
    • This episode made me want to let out a brief ring of fiery anger (Dislike it)
    • My Silence makes it hard to say whether I like this episode or not. (MEH)
    • This Episode makes me wanna make rainbows. (Like it)
    • This Episode makes me so happy I could Siiiiing! (LOVE IT)

1 minute ago, RyanMahaffe said:

"nothing but uncharted terrain and wild beasts that way

AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

AHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHhaha."

anyway I loved this episode.

If that becomes a GIF, I'm just done.

• Brohoof 1

Spoiler

I'm weirdly torn on this one. Because I wouldn't call it a "great" episode, but I'm going to be listening to that song on repeat so much.

Basically, I thought the mane cast were the weakest part of this episode. And that's not entirely fair because I thought AJ had some great lines and moments of being humble and protective.

But really, I thought the Kirin were by far the best part of this episode, and whenever Autumn is driving the conversation of a scene, the episode works. Her dialogue is really well written. She's sweet, you get her plight. Her song paints the picture of the tale so well and sums up the theme really touchingly I thought. I also loved the way their voices changed when they became the Niriks. I don't know why that stuck with me, but it did.

In contrast I kinda felt like the Appleshy disagreement and resolution and coming together of their skillsets felt a bit bleh. I know what they were going for by having them argue and then still be fine. It's a demonstration to the Kirin that you can disagree and still be ok. It still felt a bit... off.

I tend to feel like Map episodes work best either when it's the story of one of the called ponies (like Made in Manehattan is Applejack's story about feeling unworthy of being tasked with the mission), or if the problem involves things that the summoned ponies know about or are heavily involved with (like Dash being a Bolt during Top Bolt, or AJ knowing Flim and Flam in Viva Las Pegasus). This episode is neither. This is a completely new situation, and the episode is more focused on the situation than on the people sent to solve it.  It's like Hooffields and McColts in that sense. But I liked this more because I liked the kirin a LOT more than those two families.

I'm not saying this Starlight should've replaced someone in this ep, but it stood out to me that the chorus of the song felt like the exact inverse of Our Town. "You can't have a nightmare if you never dream," vs "You can't give up your laughter because you're scared of a little pain." I kinda wish Starlight had been there to hear it for some reason.

Edited by gingerninja666
  • Brohoof 3

@gingerninja666

You should probably spoiler your review post.

Spoiler

I agree though, the kirin’s extreme solution to what seems to be a simple problem is very much like Starlight, and I think she could have taken AJ’s place easily and given the conflict greater depth. It really does feel like they used AJ and Flutters here just because they needed another episode.

• The title was changed to S08:E23 - Sounds of Silence (AUS premiere)
  • This topic was pinned and featured

I LOVE IIIITTT~ Autumn Blaze is an actual kirinfication of me and my personality. I haven't ever felt anything more relatable in the show than her. First of all, they live in a forest. They are Kirins! And she's even got copper hair like me!(and she's also pale as a ghost like mee) <33 She loves musicals, like me also..  I absolutely loved the Hamilton and Phantom of the Opera references in this episode as well.

Spoiler

102235004_Skarmavbild2018-09-01kl_13_44_08.thumb.png.4d5c1c1e1a2daf1f22423836dbe4bfba.png

54243397_Skarmavbild2018-09-01kl_13_44_33.thumb.png.3fda27b41638c47b976741435b4f18a9.png

The song was BEAUTIFUL, I can't wait to cover it. I also I love the moral of the story in general. The episode was beautifully animated and it included two of my favorite ponies out of the mane 6. Especially AJ of course. <3 

Did you all see her beautiful little loner house by the way? I would have LOVED to live there! Look at that view. <33

All of the Kirins were adorable! I've been wanting to see Kirins on the show since years back, 3 years to be exact.  v

Under the spoiler tag is an example of how I drew them in the "MLP" style in case anyone's curious.

Spoiler

kirinoc.thumb.png.6969cf33e1041ff922502dd816f1eeef.png

ANYWAY, I love this episode more than I love.. Rainbows! <33 Okay not really more than rainbows but at least the episode was just as beautiful as one. <3

I'll stop now but I loved it! <3

Edited by darkwingmare
  • Brohoof 5

Da List:

• Ok Kirins are the Vulcans of the pony world
  • Please, let the OCS role out from this!
  • Applejack still throws in apple refs...
  • I like the designs,  it sticks to the historical fasts of the kirins from Asia.
  • Ok so Breeze is a deep thinker,  REFLECTIONS  ! WE ARE PART OF EVERYTHING!
  • MORE RAINBOWs
  • Breeze and Pinkie should never meet,   the hyperness would be our DOOM!
  • And a rodent saves the day! 

Kinda liked the episode, specially with a new race, Kirins that is, added in the MLP Universe and all. Also, dig the designs of the Kirins too. And Autumn Blaze is awesome! It's a good thing that they chose Rachel Bloom to do her voice! Definitely fits her IMO. :mlp_yeehaa:

Edited by VenomPLA_04
  • Brohoof 1

Wow, this was a fun episode to watch even if some people were insensitive and spoiled it. I really liked that song in the episode. People say this season has been awful, this episode laughs in there face and tells them they are wrong.

• Brohoof 2

I really loved this episode – it’s definitely one of my favorites of this season.

Spoiler

A bit goofy first part, Fluttershy and AJ dynamics and the cute and brilliantly designed new race – all this worked very well.

This episode also has one of the most valuable lessons of the history of the show – anger is not something that should be avoided at all cost, it’s just one of natural emotions, and anger management is very important. After all these years MLP still continues to surprise me with the topic choices.

Some other notes. How the Kirin decided to refrain from emotions to avoid social conflicts and built their society around it gave me strong Equilibrium vibes. While the Kirin’s design is really great, I couldn’t tell their gender from their head shapes – it works for ponies, but apparently not for Kirin.

And I wonder how many takes it took for Tara Strong to deliver the “Flanks don’t lie” line without laughing.

• Brohoof 4

I loved this episode! I thought it was beautifully executed with a beautiful lesson. I think a lot of people who shut out emotions really need this lesson. The song has great lyrics and the new actress who plays Autumn Blaze did a wonderful job. I thought the magic of Autumn Blaze's species is very interesting 

• Brohoof 1

Autumn Blaze is my favorite character from this season so far! Holy crap please have her come back and interact with Pinkie Pie! The song was nicely done and fits Bloom's musical comedy numbers to a tee. The Hamilton and PotO references made me jump with a resounding yes! Applejack .... okay this is how you write AJ perfectly. Everyone that said she can't be written to be interesting needs to watch this episode. 

Fluttershy similarly hit that perfect balance. I especially loved the moment that she expressed her concern about the animals and the destruction from the Nirik flames. It appeared to be a scenario where both sides had a point. The resolution fits the lesson metaphor so no issues there. 

Lalalalalala

Loved this episode!

Guys Spoiler tags are optional in a Spoiler Thread. Don't be getting on anyone's case for following my previous directions that they are optional. 

• Brohoof 5

I Loved it, first of all, Officially having Kirin is a big thing as they were in fanmade content for quite a while, and they were handled in a very interesting way having them turn to NiriK aswel
Autumn Blaze is pure awesomeness and her song was also great, I wish they'll sent some Kirin to the school of friendship, it would spice things up quite nicely, the new location was really nice, fluttershy-Applejack interactions were really well done Fluttershy putting her hoof down to be heard by AppleJack took me by surprise, i thought she'd be dragged along the whole way and then be able to talk, only to go back again. GO Flutters! :yay:

Overal i Really enjoyed this episode, i give it a 9/10

First, kirin, they were great. Autumn Blaze in particular was phenomenal, and Rachel Broom did an incredible job. While the silent kirin were kinda creepy, their quizzical head tilt was adorable. There was one thing about them that was a pet peeve of mine though. The claimed the water of silence took away their emotions as well, but while their emotions were muted, they clearly still had them. Autumn Blaze explicitly got bored, and we can see how the other kirin made choices on whatever emotions they were feeling that caused them to want to speak again or whatever. IMO true mastery of cognitive empathy comes from not trying to read people's expressions, but from trying to understand people's behavior. The other thing is I think the resolution came across as somewhat rushed and could have used more time, they did a 180 on their policy too quickly and then we hardly saw anything of what they did once they could speak again. I wish they spent less time on the exposition and random jokes and more on communicating with the kirin and hearing them. Just a couple minor nitpicks though, otherwise I loved everything about. 

With Applejack and Fluttershy though I had more problems. Much of their dialogue came across as quite forced and lacked any subtly. I agree with some other users that Applejack could have been replaced with Starlight Glimmer and it would have been more interesting. Applejack insisted that her honesty was essential, but I really don't see how it made any difference. Finally, Fluttershy really needs to learn to tell people what she's doing when she takes detours during hikes. :P

• Brohoof 3

9 minutes ago, Ganondox said:

First, kirin, they were great. Autumn Blaze in particular was phenomenal, and Rachel Broom did an incredible job. While the silent kirin were kinda creepy, their quizzical head tilt was adorable. There was one thing about them that was a pet peeve of mine though. The claimed the water of silence took away their emotions as well, but while their emotions were muted, they clearly still had them. Autumn Blaze explicitly got bored, and we can see how the other kirin made choices on whatever emotions they were feeling that caused them to want to speak again or whatever. IMO true mastery of cognitive empathy comes from not trying to read people's expressions, but from trying to understand people's behavior. The other thing is I think the resolution came across as somewhat rushed and could have used more time, they did a 180 on their policy too quickly and then we hardly saw anything of what they did once they could speak again. I wish they spent less time on the exposition and random jokes and more on communicating with the kirin and hearing them. Just a couple minor nitpicks though, otherwise I loved everything about. 

With Applejack and Fluttershy though I had more problems. Much of their dialogue came across as quite forced and lacked any subtly. I agree with some other users that Applejack could have been replaced with Starlight Glimmer and it would have been more interesting. Applejack insisted that her honesty was essential, but I really don't see how it made any difference. Finally, Fluttershy really needs to learn to tell people what she's doing when she takes detours during hikes. :P

The song seemed to imply that their emotions were locked away into voices inside their head.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, gingerninja666 said:

The song seemed to imply that their emotions were locked away into voices inside their head.

My problem in that regard wasn't the song lyrics, it was things some of the other characters said, like so: 

Applejack: [gasps] I can't believe it! Nopony should give up feelin'... their feelin's just to keep from gettin' angry!

And there was a few other lines with similar implications. The issue is not that I didn't understand what was going on, I dislike how it was articulated. 

... Twilight has kirin blood in her confirmed.

An AJ episode that does not revolve around family. That almost deserves a positive reaction. Also an episode where H-Bro gets to sneakily test a pre-alpha version of the new unicorn design. K. Mastering rage instead of trying to push it away. Also K. And no, all-encompassing emotional incontinence is not a substantial reason for a character appearance. The logic behind the pony choices was good, the execution, on the other appendage, a little less so, but this time I blame 22 min. Oh, what a twist!

Still, the name of this episode displeases me. So without further ado: I heard you like Autumn Blaze. Too bad she's gonna vanish in one season.