Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S08:E23 - Sounds of Silence

Will Guide
Message added by Jeric

Warning, there will likely be spoilers in the Episode discussion threads so venture in at your own peril. 

Spoiler tags are OPTIONAL! 

Episode Rating  

121 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like or dislike the Episode?

• This episode makes me so angry, my fury could burn a whole forest (HATE IT
    • This episode made me want to let out a brief ring of fiery anger (Dislike it)
    • My Silence makes it hard to say whether I like this episode or not. (MEH)
    • This Episode makes me wanna make rainbows. (Like it)
    • This Episode makes me so happy I could Siiiiing! (LOVE IT)

OK, best song of the season so far right there.  THAT was amazing. :muffins:

Also, very appreciative that this lesson seems particularly aimed at the present state of online Internet culture/basically what any difference between anyone these days does to public discourse.  Very, very, VERY appreciative. :yeahno:

• Brohoof 3

As someone who has really wanted to see Kirin appear in the show this was an episode I was definitely looking forward to it.  Not only that but given how much positive buzz has surrounded it after airing early in Australia, I was even more curious to see it for myself.  So now that I had a chance to watch it legally, I can say that I thought the episode was pretty good.  We got a great new song, a fun new character in Autumn, some fun interactions with Applejack and Fluttershy, and a solid moral.

• Brohoof 3

Ah, Autumn Blaze was a ton of fun.  What a great new character, awesome moral, and a phenomenal performance from celebrity guest VA Rachel Bloom.  Very solid episode all around, definitely slice of life MLP at its best. :muffins:

• Brohoof 5

That was a hilarious episode. Autumn Blaze is my new favorite character, and I like the Kirin's overall design. Applejack and Fluttershy were both really good this episode too, and I really liked the moral.  

• Brohoof 3

I think it's safe to say this was indeed the best episode of the season; and caps off an amazing run of episodes for season 8. Lovely stuff. :D

• Brohoof 3

Great episode. Funny how AJ took the rugged path while Fluttershy found a short cut. Autumn Blaze is my new favorite character. The voice actor of Blaze did a great job. I love to see a story of the Kirins from deep in the past. 

• Brohoof 1

Even one of the most heartfelt, uniquely upbeat songs in the show...can’t stop me from thinking of Disturbed every time I look at the title. :P The same way the Kirin couldn’t stop me from thinking of Maud Pie before Autumn Blaze came into the picture. And then Autumn Blaze had me thinking of Pinkie Pie. You can tell this episode has inspired me to be honest with my emotions with one of the best morals in the show by far. In a time where we’re quick to call showing any kind of anger and engaging in any kind of discourse a sin, this show is somehow able to hit the nail on the head with its message about both. Anger and conflict are just part of who we are, what matters is how we go about it. I’ve been in Autumn Blaze’s shoes before of being condemned for expressing my feelings, so I can vouch for her in saying that having to be stoic and silent all the time does get boring, unlike this episode. It rarely had me bored, especially after that hilariously off-tangent joke about Phantom of the Opera in the song. Random humor really can be funny. :squee:

• Brohoof 4

Now that I have the episode on TV I can say I still adore this episode. My apologies if any of this is a bit of a repost. This episode was fantastic and fit Applejack and Fluttershy perfectly. The Kirin or however the name is spelled, are a fascinating species and fit right in with the lore unlike Capper and the pirate birds from the movie which felt super out of place in the movie design wise no matter how much I like them in the movie as characters. I liked the look of the Kirin magic through their horns. I have a feeling the Kirin communicated with each other during the vow of Silence through body language like people who are non verbal might. I like how this episode is really more about emotions than the use if actual words. This episode is also one of my favorites for season 8!

• Brohoof 1

Autumn Blaze... She's going to become both memorable and an instant meme by the fandom because of her overall presence. Never have I seen anyone talk to such great lengths as her--she even outdoes Pinkie Pie in this regard--to the point where you just want her to stop. I can understand why she was given that kind of personality but you don't want it to become too dominant otherwise it loses all sense of self. Now, I will admit that Autumn Blaze was hilarious with the delivery of her lines along with breaking reality in her own unique fashion, and her song was certainly something else in that never have I seen a song break away from the flow so many times. I'd say she alone is the sole reason this episode is going to be remembered as one of the good ones in the entire series.

On the subject of the Kirins, I'm surprised it took this long for the show staff to finally introduce them, but I suppose it was better late than never. Perhaps they could be further expanded upon in the comics or perhaps given another appearance before MLP comes to its inevitable conclusion. Their reasoning for wanting to remain silent was believable and also effective because we all know how emotions, like anger, can cause so many problems resulting in friendships being destroyed. This makes the message--moral if you will--work so well because anger is a feeling that is a part of who we are. Sure, we don't always agree with everyone we know, yet choosing to throw away our emotions just makes us uncaring and stoic; our very existence would become silence.

Applejack and Fluttershy in the meantime are merely there observing what's going on and trying to figure out how best to solve the problem. I liked how Twilight brought up the fact that this was the first time the Cutie Map sent the same pair to solve a problem. Perhaps this will become more consistent in the future? Or perhaps it opens up new questions seeing as we still don't know everything about it. In any case, Applejack and Fluttershy do work well together though their different temperaments clashed numerous times all because they had different ideas on what to do. Good thing that bantering was enough to show that anger was a necessity instead of a burden otherwise things could've gotten worse. Oh, and I didn't appreciate the ending at all due to it simply ending like that! A recap of the song is fine and all but not really enough to give off the sense of satisfaction.

Back to Autumn Blaze one last time. If she and Pinkie Pie were to meet in person, the resulting chaos would be extravagant to say the least. I'd also say that Autumn Blaze would be Pinkie's ideal soulmate in that sense due to both having similar personality quirks. She has potential that cannot be ignored. She must make one more appearance so as to further expand on what has already been established. Overall, I give this episode 98%. Only the conclusion was the weakest part due to how abrupt it ended.

• Brohoof 3

It was long ago since we saw Mane 6 focused episodes, even though the lesson was for the very target of the friendship quest. It's been some time since I mentioned it but, I like Fluttershy episodes being my fave of the Mane 6, and this with AJ (when was the last time they ever had an episode that would fit?), is simply awesome! Like the last 2 episodes, I give it a solid 5/5 and the biggest of all, from all the creatures and places that exist out there, even more world exploration , Jungle ponies?? I don't know how else to call them. And this time no Starlight, no Student 6, just like previous seasons, a feel of the actual Main 6 season. (some of my text got completely lost, rebuilding it)

So this episode starts with a place that looks like Australia with the Ayers rock, then in the beginning Fluttershy's assertiveness is seen again when she is caught by AJ 'fooling around with other critters'. It turned out the flowers were the ones they needed from the very beginning, only after rewinding could I see that lol:

Spoiler

MLPFiM-Se8-ep192-SoundsofSilence.thumb.jpg.8e26502a2a914f3f7ba1ccdc35724e6a.jpg

I don't know what mythical creatures they represent and what country or ethnicity are they similar to. A pony that becomes a fire creature with horns like a moose, no not even that, hmm.

I was watching the village and the silenced ponies with curiosity, whether this was a curse or their nature to be non-talking ponies! This was so interesting seeing this new types that one could only make guesses.

Spoiler

MLPFiM-Se8-ep192-SoundsofSilence2.thumb.jpg.e3c898bde5fb140fbc0d99056b2697c0.jpg

Then came Autumn (something) and her ceaseless speaking. And the song that I've mentioned not caring much about songs but okay learning about their story.

And these creatures, what are they? Ohh I did a small search, Chimeras.. I know them I just had another idea of Chimeras, a lion and goat but in Equestria single headed lion-goat hybrid. And their queen is like the jungle version of Celestia! And the ponies overall remind me of how the ponies and the Mane 6 became jungle ponies when  hiding from Chrysalis during one of the timelines Twi was sent into by Starlight in 'The Cutie Re-mark'.

Spoiler

MLPFiM-Se8-ep192-SoundsofSilence3.thumb.jpg.df74a29227548abdc2d054a00b599496.jpg

And then after this nice view of their village, a row between the Mane 2 and wow they have the ability to lift like unicorns and just when the Mane 2 were about to be silenced, that would have caused a big problem but still curable if other Mane's came to the rescue, then this pretty blaze wall of blue and red fire, very interesting. Then the new jungle ponies start talking and oh my good job by the artists, this new world, like amazons or I don't know what they are, is soooo good!

Loved the new place! And just when you thought the Equestria world already had plenty of species and cultures, a brand new part of the world! Amazing episode!

I love posting pics of new interesting places, looks pleasant for the eyes, almost like taking pictures of being there:

Spoiler

MLPFiM-Se8-ep192-SoundsofSilence4.thumb.jpg.8c7b261806082d514569784b2c74ad47.jpg

Edited by ImpctR
  • Brohoof 1