Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S08:E23 - Sounds of Silence

Will Guide
Message added by Jeric

Warning, there will likely be spoilers in the Episode discussion threads so venture in at your own peril. 

Spoiler tags are OPTIONAL! 

Episode Rating  

121 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like or dislike the Episode?

• This episode makes me so angry, my fury could burn a whole forest (HATE IT
    • This episode made me want to let out a brief ring of fiery anger (Dislike it)
    • My Silence makes it hard to say whether I like this episode or not. (MEH)
    • This Episode makes me wanna make rainbows. (Like it)
    • This Episode makes me so happy I could Siiiiing! (LOVE IT)

1 hour ago, Truffles said:

I agree with this, though it seems particularly in-character for Applejack: She strikes me as having the type of personality who gets offended if you refuse to talk to her. It's part-in-parcel with her presumed country-ishness. She was probably thinking, "It' ain't downright neighborly if somepony doesn't want to even give a friendly hello to new guests." So I can't say I was surprised to see her act that way.

Yeah, I was mildly frustrated by the way that Applejack was acting toward the Kirin, because I saw the issues with it and because I don't feel like I would act that way, but I agree that Applejack's approach with the Kirin probably wasn't out of character for her. And while I do kind of rant a little about Applejack's behavior in my episode post, it does set up some amusing jokes where Applejack keeps getting frustrated by the repeated non-response from the Kirin, so I'm not really that upset by it or anything.

• Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...

Lol those silent head-tilts were so amusing :P :yay: . They be like, “hmm :maud: ? Wha?” Also the scaly muzzles and backs, also qoot :wacko: .

Spoiler

Thought it was funny when AJ said, “don’t, or won’t.” As if she felt they were just ignoring/teasing them :P .

Edited by WWolf

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go with another episode with Applejack and Fluttershy on a friendship mission to the Peaks of Peril! I will call this a "friendship duet mission".

When arriving at the Peaks of Peril, Fluttershy was waited behind because she's with the squirrels to find that shortcut to the entrance. Applejack, the shortcut to the entrance is that way. After entering the Peaks of Peril, the Kirins showed up and they're completely silent. I can feel their silence pretty well for their feelings and they can only respond to a yes-or-no questions. A few minutes later, Applejack splits up from Fluttershy and walks on that path and finds that Kirin who still really speak is named Autumn Blaze; she was just joking around with her that she's the only Kirin who still speaks. After Applejack regroups with Fluttershy, she learned what the friendship problem is and I like the way how they both say in unison! :mlp_grin: That blue flower makes it a purification to Kirin's voices that leads to solving the friendship problem and they have their voices! At last, both Applejack's and Fluttershy's cutie marks glow once again for solving the friendship problem and I call it "Mission Success!" :D

As I also learned that "nirik" is a backward word of "kirin" means it's a raging version of a kirin with fire.

Also, the song is revealed in this episode and it's in F Major and ends the last note in F; and the reprise as well that is in F Major again and then G Major and ends the last note in G! I will say that's a great song after curing all the Kirins with all their voices! :D

Therefore, I will say this episode is great too! :D

• Brohoof 1

Wow, A Kirin Tale was such a fantastic song! It's really funny and dynamic while telling dramatic events in the same time. That's one of the things that explains why I still like MLP to these days: the ability to create positive feelings even in darker times. Orchestration and lyrics are great, Daniel Ingram and the scenarist did a super good job with this episode! :squee:

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was always looking forward to seeing the Kirins, and this episode didn't disappoint me at all! :mlp_yay: 

This was surely one of the best episodes I've seen in season 8. It had great music, a whole new species with a interesting backstory, and so much more. I also love the designs of the Kirins. The amount of detail in their appearance was amazing and it clearly showed how much effort had gone into character design.

Applejack and Fluttershy exploring a mystical place was fun to see as well. I liked the overall story, and also the moral that it's normal for friends to sometimes disagree. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing an episode about Kirins again! :mlp_bedeyes:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This Ep was awesome! But something Applegeek said worries me, when he was looking up Kirin lore (Niriks are way cooler, about 50% cooler!) he found this.

The appearance of Kirin could mark a Celestial figure's passing

Or something like that, can't remember the exact quote he said. Well, Faust originally had Twilight surpassing Celestia way back in the day but...Hm, did the FIM Staff do hard research on Kirin and if so....what will happen in S9? :sealed:

• 1 month later...

One of the best episodes in season 8, a world building episode with a new interesting race. I am wondering if the kirins are somehow related to unicorns, they both have horns and magic and even looking like ponies to boot it, maybe an isolated population of unicorns which evolved differently?:mlp_ooh:

Autumn blaze is my favorite one off character so far, and I wish they bring her with her race back in season 9, it will make me so happy. I kinda ship autumn blaze with applejack:mlp_lie:.

However I felt the resolution came to qeackly and rushed. Up until AJ met FS again it was amazing and then it felt a bit rushed and unsatisfying, but I guess they were short on time so...

I also felt they missed an unique opportunity, if they included starlight it would have shown her how her village looked like to her from a new perspective. 9/10. By the way, the song is stunning, one of the best in the show.

• 1 year later...

You know? I’m sure there were already pre-S8 rumors where divine dragon horses would appear. I must confess, I wasn’t excited for them. I was imagining they wouldn’t have enough cute pastel horses for me to love them. Boy, how I was wrong :kirin:

• 2 months later...

Definitely the best song I have seen so far in the series. Would place this in the top 5 of my favorite episodes easily. Autumn Blaze has a really amazing voice too! She reminds me of the characters in the lion King or something. The Kirins are cute when they did the head tilt though, and the revaluation of them actually being the Nirek is fascinating, the area they live in is extremely beautiful to say the least. I love this episode!

Edited by Califorum
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

Cute episode. It's almost feels like a Season 1 episode, but fresh and new. I really like that.

Autumn Blaze was a fun character and she's really sweet, too. The song was nice and it give me that G1 vibes.

Plus, the Kirins look very interesting and I do dig their design. And their head tilt move was pretty cute. 

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

Sound of silence is a wonderful cute, awesome and great episode. I like it very much and it's one of the best episodes in season 8.

I think the new Species of the Kirin are a wonderful addition to he show and the mlp world. The song in this episode is equally great.

• Brohoof 2

• 1 year later...

I really liked this one. Just wish we’d got more of the kirins.

I do wish Applejack hadn’t basically yelled when asking if they could understand her. It happens in real life too. Just try and keep a normal tone.

Edited by Gale Wind

• 9 months later...

Just got to this in my rewatch, and wow, the leap in writing quality is insane compared to what came before (What Lies Beneath was also great on account of finally remembering the Student Six exist after not using them for a dozen episodes

...course, next up is a Spike episode, so it's sadly incredibly short-lived

Such a shame we never got another Kirin episode; imagine Autumn Blaze with a properly-written unflanderized Pinkie...

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since I have seen this episode, it is really one of my favorites in all of the show's history. It is amazingly well done and I love the moral lesson that is taught here. We should have gotten more Kirin episodes. Autumn Blaze's voice is amazing.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

Rewatched this episode before Christmas with some friends. It's still one of my most loved and fav.

What I still like the most in this episode I think is the dynamic between AJ, Fluttershy :3