Will Guide

Spoiler S08:E23 - Sounds of Silence

Jeric

Warning, there will likely be spoilers in the Episode discussion threads so venture in at your own peril. 

Spoiler tags are OPTIONAL! 

Message added by Jeric

Episode Rating  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Did you like or dislike the Episode?

• This episode makes me so angry, my fury could burn a whole forest (HATE IT
    • This episode made me want to let out a brief ring of fiery anger (Dislike it)
    • My Silence makes it hard to say whether I like this episode or not. (MEH)
    • This Episode makes me wanna make rainbows. (Like it)
    • This Episode makes me so happy I could Siiiiing! (LOVE IT)

Not sure if it was mentioned already but I LOVE that Phantom of the Opera reference!

• Brohoof 2

Badges

I think I raelly like the song somewhat, but I feel it disturbing when it stops right within it for random moments.

On 10/1/2018 at 8:40 PM, Music Chart Fan said:

But also, even if they were physically capable of speech, what if they just don't want to talk? The Kirin are not under any obligation to talk to Applejack and Fluttershy, or to do anything else that Applejack and Fluttershy want them to do, and the Kirin could have many reasons why aren't doing so.

I agree with this, though it seems particularly in-character for Applejack: She strikes me as having the type of personality who gets offended if you refuse to talk to her. It's part-in-parcel with her presumed country-ishness. She was probably thinking, "It' ain't downright neighborly if somepony doesn't want to even give a friendly hello to new guests." So I can't say I was surprised to see her act that way.

Another possibility is that the post-Stream of Silence Kirin are operating on cold, hard reasoning that doesn't involve higher-order human-like feelings. But it might be a non-trivial task to come up with reasoning for maintaining the Kirin's lifestyle and civilized society that doesn't invoke "feelings" at some point, and I'm not sure that I would be up to that task.

This is what I figured the stream did - it made them emotionless and everything they do now is only out of need. If they're hungry, they eat but they don't enjoy it. Every birthday is just another day. One way the stream made things worse, however, is it also seemed to strip them of pity, empathy and compassion. The kirins had no issue with throwing AJ and Fluttershy into the stream when they started arguing - it just seemed like the logical thing to do.This is worse because it essentially made them all into sociopaths. If the village was running short of food, they would likely have no issues with killing someone if it meant the end of starvation.

On 10/2/2018 at 9:49 AM, The Nth Doctor said:

So...uh...

Were any of the Kirin pregnant when they took the vow of silence? How long were they silent? Were any kids born during this period? How did they handle their parents being mute?

And this brings up an associated idea: It's likely the stream also quelled all aspects of love and lust, so aside from any of them who were already present, it's unlikely anyone was busy having kids. If they really are part-dragon, they may share the long lifespans of dragons so perhaps their leader figured increasing their population wasn't as important as keeping the peace?

And after Autumn Blaze became "quite chatty", she says that she "drove my village batty", and that they "didn't like" her jokes, songs, news, plays, etc. Again, wouldn't those also be things that the Kirin who went through the Stream of Silence shouldn't be feeling?

It could be she's an unreliable narrator. Perhaps seem assumed she was driving them batty simply because they ignored her? In fact, most of the scenes of them showing feelings may just be due to her explaining things in song. However:

A little later, when Applejack and Fluttershy start arguing over whether the Kirin should allow themselves to talk, the other Kirin who have gathered to observe start to look concerned or fearful that Applejack and Fluttershy will burst into flame or transform or something, and the Kirin do so again when they're about to dunk Applejack and Fluttershy in the Stream of Silence.

I can't think of a good explanation for this. This seems like an oversight on the animators or scriptwriter. Unless the stream made them into the equivalent of Vulcans and moments of extreme stress cause their emotions to show through? If that's the case, them the stream isn't as extreme as something like going through the Kolinahr.

Speaking of which, does this ticket guy just live out of the ticket stand? Does he ever travel back to civilization at any point? Is he getting paid by somebody to be "on duty" out here

I think his state of mind pretty much answers that question. XD

Finally, when one of the Kirin is playing charades to try to communicate to Autumn Blaze that they want to take the cure, Autumn Blaze gets angry, and one of the things she shouts is "Just write it down!", which is a good point. We saw Autumn Blaze distributing newspapers and Variety reviews in her song earlier, so the Kirin seem to have written language. Did the Stream of Silence somehow modify the Kirins' brains so that they're incapable of writing, as well as speaking?

I kept expecting to see AJ have them ask to write answers on paper, but perhaps that despite their ability to speak ponish, perhaps they use an alphabet that wouldn't be recognizable by ponies? It's kind of a stretch but it's the only explanation I can think of as to why they didn't try to use writing to begin with.

• Brohoof 2

Badges

1 hour ago, Truffles said:

I agree with this, though it seems particularly in-character for Applejack: She strikes me as having the type of personality who gets offended if you refuse to talk to her. It's part-in-parcel with her presumed country-ishness. She was probably thinking, "It' ain't downright neighborly if somepony doesn't want to even give a friendly hello to new guests." So I can't say I was surprised to see her act that way.

Yeah, I was mildly frustrated by the way that Applejack was acting toward the Kirin, because I saw the issues with it and because I don't feel like I would act that way, but I agree that Applejack's approach with the Kirin probably wasn't out of character for her. And while I do kind of rant a little about Applejack's behavior in my episode post, it does set up some amusing jokes where Applejack keeps getting frustrated by the repeated non-response from the Kirin, so I'm not really that upset by it or anything.

• Brohoof 2

Lol those silent head-tilts were so amusing :P :yay: . They be like, “hmm :maud: ? Wha?” Also the scaly muzzles and backs, also qoot :wacko: .

Spoiler

Thought it was funny when AJ said, “don’t, or won’t.” As if she felt they were just ignoring/teasing them :P .

Edited by WWolf

Here we go with another episode with Applejack and Fluttershy on a friendship mission to the Peaks of Peril! I will call this a "friendship duet mission".

When arriving at the Peaks of Peril, Fluttershy was waited behind because she's with the squirrels to find that shortcut to the entrance. Applejack, the shortcut to the entrance is that way. After entering the Peaks of Peril, the Kirins showed up and they're completely silent. I can feel their silence pretty well for their feelings and they can only respond to a yes-or-no questions. A few minutes later, Applejack splits up from Fluttershy and walks on that path and finds that Kirin who still really speak is named Autumn Blaze; she was just joking around with her that she's the only Kirin who still speaks. After Applejack regroups with Fluttershy, she learned what the friendship problem is and I like the way how they both say in unison! :mlp_grin: That blue flower makes it a purification to Kirin's voices that leads to solving the friendship problem and they have their voices! At last, both Applejack's and Fluttershy's cutie marks glow once again for solving the friendship problem and I call it "Mission Success!" :D

As I also learned that "nirik" is a backward word of "kirin" means it's a raging version of a kirin with fire.

Also, the song is revealed in this episode and it's in F Major and ends the last note in F; and the reprise as well that is in F Major again and then G Major and ends the last note in G! I will say that's a great song after curing all the Kirins with all their voices! :D

Therefore, I will say this episode is great too! :D

• Brohoof 1

Badges

Wow, A Kirin Tale was such a fantastic song! It's really funny and dynamic while telling dramatic events in the same time. That's one of the things that explains why I still like MLP to these days: the ability to create positive feelings even in darker times. Orchestration and lyrics are great, Daniel Ingram and the scenarist did a super good job with this episode! :squee:

Badges

I was always looking forward to seeing the Kirins, and this episode didn't disappoint me at all! :mlp_yay: 

This was surely one of the best episodes I've seen in season 8. It had great music, a whole new species with a interesting backstory, and so much more. I also love the designs of the Kirins. The amount of detail in their appearance was amazing and it clearly showed how much effort had gone into character design.

Applejack and Fluttershy exploring a mystical place was fun to see as well. I liked the overall story, and also the moral that it's normal for friends to sometimes disagree. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing an episode about Kirins again! :mlp_bedeyes:

• Cheer 1

I don’t think anyone mentioned this yet, but did anyone else catch the “When Harry Met Sally” reference? “Baby fish mouth” :D

This is one of the episodes that transcends itself. Wonderful song, and the Kirin character design is simply lovely! Now I want to see the Kirin version of "Phantom"!