Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How was the episode?  

92 users have voted

1. 1. How was the episode?

• Passed the test with life-long friends! (5/5)
    • Passed the test! (4/5)
    • I don't know what lies beneath! (3/5)
    • Bad like Cozy Glow! (2/5)
    • Failed the test! (1/5)

Spoiler

did that overexcited hippogrif really just pulled a fluttershy assertiveness on us? i'm starting to really like her, other than that, the episode had the same problem most of the student six episodes have, their relationship just seems too artificial, while i like the characters as individuals, their episodes just don't do them justice, and they're pretty much wasting precious screentime that they could have used to make their relationship more believable on showing us the same thing 6 times for each of them seperately, also Cozy glow is so obviously a vilain that i hope they won't try to play it as a big reveal for the last episode since they pretty much told us already, or close enough, these are my thoughts, i really don't like to be negative about the show, but episodes like this don't even try imo, i give it a 4/10

LOVED IT! Like that the Young 6 are the main cast for this episode! And I like that the Tree of Harmony communicating with the Y6 and choosing an avatar in the form of Twilight Sparkle.

Though, to be honest, I hope that the ToH creates an original avatar of itself, instead of using known ponies, like Twilight for example, in future episodes and such. All in all, nice episode.

Almost forgot, something tells me that Cozy is up to something not good.

• Brohoof 1

This might actually be my favorite episode of the season. The lore adding some nifty unanswered mysteries about the Tree was worth the price of admission (and I don't want them answered cleanly either), and Gallus is quickly becoming one of my favorite new characters. The episode threatened to lose something exciting for me (briefly) because I've seen a similar concept used in Clone Wars, but there was enough nuance here to make me quickly dismiss the similarities. 5/5

• Brohoof 4

On 9/4/2018 at 3:36 PM, Jeric said:

This might actually be my favorite episode of the season. The lore adding some nifty unanswered mysteries about the Tree was worth the price of admission (and I don't want them answered cleanly either), and Gallus is quickly becoming one of my favorite new characters. The episode threatened to lose something exciting for me (briefly) because I've seen a similar concept used in Clone Wars, but there was enough nuance here to make me quickly dismiss the similarities. 5/5

The finale definitely helped to bolster this episode. "The Washouts" is still the best for me, but this was pretty damn close.

• 2 weeks later...
  • This topic was pinned and featured

Well guys, new episode tomorrow! And it stars the wonderful Student 6! I think you guys will be in for a treat! ^^

1703918__safe_artist-colon-luximus17_gal

Source: https://luximus17.deviantart.com/art/School-6-739692109

• Brohoof 5

I'm just wondering why the Tree of Harmony thought 

Spoiler

You do not believe friendship is in your nature?

was NOT acceptable.

Why did she seem to be so concerned about Young Six?

• Brohoof 1

Okay guys, EPISODE TIME!!! Don't make me go Flash Magnus on you rookies! >:D

Well... buck. :yeahno: Shit just got kinda real, guys.

Also, the hell is that cutesy-wutesy filly's problem?  Like... is she secretly evil like everyone thought she was when she first showed up??? :sunbutt:

4 hours ago, Jirehlov said:

I'm just wondering why the Tree of Harmony thought 

Reveal hidden contents

was NOT acceptable.

Why did she seem to be so concerned about Young Six?

The main purpose of the tree, as far as the Pillars are concerned, is the protection of Equestria. Twilight herself believes that by spreading friendship you are benefitting Equestria, and I think the Tree shares that. By strengthening their bond they are potentially inspiring other nations to work together, thereby protecting Equestria in a stronger way.

Ummmmmmmm... this episode is kind of terrifying.  Some interesting character developments as well.  Gallus is apparently claustrophobic and Yona may have at least a mild case of arachnophobia.  Verrrrrrry interesting. :proud:

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Batbrony said:

Ummmmmmmm... this episode is kind of terrifying.  Some interesting character developments as well.  Gallus is apparently claustrophobic and Yona may have at least a mild case of arachnophobia.  Verrrrrrry interesting. :proud:

Yona may be getting over that, the experience probably made Gallus worse though...

On the other hand, Ocellus isn't wrong about Cheesebutt being hideous ;)

• Brohoof 1

This was an episode that I had no idea what it was really going to offer.  I had a feeling that it would relate in someway to the finale, but other than that I didn't really know what to expect.  But after watching it, I can say that What Lies Beneath was a solid episode that a decent job at further developing the student six, as I feel like this and the Hearth's Warming Club are the types of episodes that the school setting really benefits from.

17 minutes ago, PoisonClaw said:

Two, so the tree does have a consciousness after all.

I think the map missions show that, but now apparently it can summon an avatar and talk directly to people - at least, within its root structure.

Just now, cmarston1 said:

This was an episode that I had no idea what it was really going to offer.  I had a feeling that it would relate in someway to the finale, but other than that I didn't really know what to expect.  But after watching it, I can say that What Lies Beneath was a solid episode that a decent job at further developing the student six, as I feel like this and the Hearth's Warming Club are the types of episodes that the school setting really benefits from.

I didn't know where this was going either, but I think it is one of the best episodes in the season, both in the overall plot development and more about the tree, and in further developing the characters and friendship bonds of the young six.

Well, that was a pretty decent episode. It wasn't amazing or anything, but it was a nice bit of character development for the Student Six, as well as another reference to the events of the movie. Plus, it was a nice bit of lore with the Tree of Harmony, and set up potential future appearances now that it is able to project itself and says it constantly grows stronger as need be. 

My only real complaint here...

Spoiler

is Cozy Glow. Knowing what happens in the finale despite not having seen it, can someone tell me if we're ever given a reason WHY Gozy Glow, who is a child I remind you, is irredeemably evil enough to lock away in Tartarus?

• Brohoof 1