Jeric

Warning, there will likely be spoilers in the Episode discussion threads so venture in at your own peril. 

Message added by Jeric

How was the episode?  

84 members have voted

  1. 1. How was the episode?

    • Passed the test with life-long friends! (5/5)
      53
    • Passed the test! (4/5)
      26
    • I don't know what lies beneath! (3/5)
      2
    • Bad like Cozy Glow! (2/5)
      2
    • Failed the test! (1/5)
      1


Recommended Posts

 

Title: What Lies Beneath

Release Dates: September 22, 2018 (official US Discovery Family airdate)

Writer: Mike Vogel

Synopsis: "The students at Twilight's School are cramming for a History of Magic in Equestria exam in the school library when they discover a part of the school that no pony else knows about. When they decide to do some exploring, they end up learning much more than they bargained for."

I got the feeling we'll be getting some intense stuff here! Maybe some backstory for the Student 6 that even they don't know about! We shall see! Weeeeeeee shalllllllllllll seeeeeeeeee! ;) 

Episode link:

Spoiler

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

I can't believe the Student Six is getting another episode for themselves after The Hearth's Warming Club. I wish for next season, there's an equal number of these BUT less Rarity and less Rainbow Dash as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

Probably another secret dungeon or something like that. Siriously thought aren't those people build the school, or is it grew out of the tree like the castle did?

  • Brohoof 2
  • teacup 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

@R.D.Dash

That's a valid question. Did Twilight create the building with her magic? Did it spontaneously grow like her castle?  Or my favorite, did she say "Let's use this centuries old, abandoned building that all the colts and fillies think is haunted! Nopony knows why it was built, or by whom, but it'll be perfect! What could possibly go wrong?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

1 hour ago, FirePuppy said:

I can't believe the Student Six is getting another episode for themselves after The Hearth's Warming Club. I wish for next season, there's an equal number of these BUT less Rarity and less Rainbow Dash as well.

You seem to be unusually sour about a bunch of new characters getting screen time. Just try to enjoy something for once.

  • Brohoof 5
  • teacup 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

1 hour ago, FirePuppy said:

I can't believe the Student Six is getting another episode for themselves after The Hearth's Warming Club. I wish for next season, there's an equal number of these BUT less Rarity and less Rainbow Dash as well.

You can't really make everyone happy with how things go in shows like this, unfortunately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

(edited)
1 hour ago, TheTaZe said:

You seem to be unusually sour about a bunch of new characters getting screen time. Just try to enjoy something for once.

Well, I don't actually mind the Student Six; I just want Rarity and Rainbow Dash to slow down instead of those new characters next season, as I still want to see them (the students) interact with ones they didn't this season.

P.S. I liked Friendship University, and to me, Non-Compete Clause wasn't as bad as many fans thought, but characters I'm a fan of the most not getting anything... it just feels empty.

Edited by FirePuppy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

3 hours ago, R.D.Dash said:

Probably another secret dungeon or something like that. Siriously thought aren't those people build the school, or is it grew out of the tree like the castle did?

 

3 hours ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

@R.D.Dash

That's a valid question. Did Twilight create the building with her magic? Did it spontaneously grow like her castle?  Or my favorite, did she say "Let's use this centuries old, abandoned building that all the colts and fillies think is haunted! Nopony knows why it was built, or by whom, but it'll be perfect! What could possibly go wrong?"

Given what info we do have, it would make most sense for the school to be an old building. It would also make for an interesting story about the history of the place and explain how the school got set up in the first place. Honestly if it turns out they did have the school built and we have this episode, either the architects were having a bit too much fun, or the writers didn't really think this through.

  • Brohoof 2
  • teacup 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)
5 hours ago, PacificGreen said:

 

Given what info we do have, it would make most sense for the school to be an old building. It would also make for an interesting story about the history of the place and explain how the school got set up in the first place. Honestly if it turns out they did have the school built and we have this episode, either the architects were having a bit too much fun, or the writers didn't really think this through.

UNLESS...What if Twilight took a page from Celestia, and built fun scary things into the school? Maybe the unknown part of the school holds a new and improved Organ to the Outside!

 

Back on an edit.......

 

Being a Discworld fan, I always think of the "Organ to the Outside" as being built by "Bloody Stupid Johnson"!

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Yay 1
  • Smile 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

On 8/15/2018 at 2:01 PM, cuteycindyhoney said:

UNLESS...What if Twilight took a page from Celestia, and built fun scary things into the school? Maybe the unknown part of the school holds a new and improved Organ to the Outside!

 

That actually really sounds like something Twilight would do. After all, she is trying to make the school fun (I think).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This episode aired last night in Denmark (accidentally the Swedish dub), and although I don't understand what they're saying, there are some details that I scooped from a comment:

Spoiler

Michael Vogel wrote this episode.

Some plot details inside:

Spoiler

The Tree of Harmony is apparently the catalyst for the plot. She tests the Student Six by making them face each of their fears.

Cozy Glow is there, too. According to the EQD comment, less cute, too.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

Spoiler

Someone posted a translation of Cozy’s lines to the Student Six in Act 1:

Spoiler

Cozy: I mean, growing up as a love thirsty Changeling. Hiding in the sea from the storm king under many years. To trust someone must be so difficult for you. And griffons don't like to be close to other creatures, not even each other. Dragons that 
are much tougher than us. There must be times where you want to get away
from us cute ponies? And everyone knows that yaks think that they 
themselves are the best. Being friends with others must feel like a bad 
deal. It is impressive that you are trying to understand friendship, 
even if it doesn't come naturally to/for you.

My reaction:

Spoiler

Why, you manipulative, little—!!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

(edited)
On 8/23/2018 at 7:17 PM, Dark Qiviut said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Someone posted a translation of Cozy’s lines to the Student Six in Act 1:

  Reveal hidden contents

Cozy: I mean, growing up as a love thirsty Changeling. Hiding in the sea from the storm king under many years. To trust someone must be so difficult for you. And griffons don't like to be close to other creatures, not even each other. Dragons that 
are much tougher than us. There must be times where you want to get away
from us cute ponies? And everyone knows that yaks think that they 
themselves are the best. Being friends with others must feel like a bad 
deal. It is impressive that you are trying to understand friendship, 
even if it doesn't come naturally to/for you.

My reaction:

  Reveal hidden contents

Why, you manipulative, little—!!

 

 

Kudos to Michael Vogel for that dialogue. There's so much being said in and inbetween the lines. At first it feels like she's being positive, but each word just increases the negative feelings. 

 

Edited by JH24

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)
 

Okay, what the hell was that before the theme song

Man, Silverstream is awesome, that plumbing book though

That reverb on Silverstream's finger drumming, so strong

The heck is Cozy up to, she's totally a villain

Dude, that already is a 10/10 episode, we're barely six or seven minutes in

Am I suspened? .-.

This episode sure is going places, wow

idk why, but Gallus reminds me of Sonic somehow

That claustrophobia scene was solid (I'm at a loss of words now, this episode is just too good)

lol Smoulder, just woah (you never saw any of this)

Aww, spiders and yaks frens <3

"...or study plumbing!" :D

"You failed to defend yourself against the changelings, but I'll try to find a different waaay" is what I thought of during that Chrysalis situation for whatever reason

Did Smoulder unironically said she likes cute things, what even

...Alright, how did I not see it coming, of course it was the Tree of Harmony

"We just learned a lesson from a tree" totally belongs on /r/evenwithcontext

 

 

Alright, that was an incredible episode! I love how students' personalities are expanding and we get to know them even better. The way they work together is brilliant and surprisingly way less cheesy than in Mane Six' case. Sandbar is still my favorite, seems to be a pretty good leader (though Ocellus seems like one as well). Each of them is great in their own way, in all honesty - I like all of the Student Six better than the Mane Six, which I find incredibly surprising. Also, what is Cozy Glow up to? She seems to be a legit villain there, not sure why though. Is she Neighsay's daughter? Is she Chrysalis herself? Guess we'll find out in a few weeks!

Fav episode of the season for sure, this part of the season is on fire!

Edited by Buttaflight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This might be the best Student Six episode yet, but the main thing with this episode is how much it developed the Tree Harmony. Now it has an actual character, as well as revealing some more of it's powers as well. I really liked the emphasis on growing, though I think the tree might still have some growing to do as some of the things it did here were morally questionable. 

On 8/15/2018 at 10:33 AM, FirePuppy said:

Well, I don't actually mind the Student Six; I just want Rarity and Rainbow Dash to slow down instead of those new characters next season, as I still want to see them (the students) interact with ones they didn't this season.

Oh the irony. Well, TECHNICALLY Rainbow Dash and Rarity don't appear...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Buttaflight said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Okay, what the hell was that before the theme song

Man, Silverstream is awesome, that plumbing book though

That reverb on Silverstream's finger drumming, so strong

The heck is Cozy up to, she's totally a villain

Dude, that already is a 10/10 episode, we're barely six or seven minutes in

Am I suspened? .-.

This episode sure is going places, wow

idk why, but Gallus reminds me of Sonic somehow

That claustrophobia scene was solid (I'm at a loss of words now, this episode is just too good)

lol Smoulder, just woah (you never saw any of this)

Aww, spiders and yaks frens <3

"...or study plumbing!" :D

"You failed to defend yourself against the changelings, but I'll try to find a different waaay" is what I thought of during that Chrysalis situation for whatever reason

Did Smoulder unironically said she likes cute things, what even

...Alright, how did I not see it coming, of course it was the Tree of Harmony

"We just learned a lesson from a tree" totally belongs on /r/evenwithcontext

 

 

Alright, that was an incredible episode! I love how students' personalities are expanding and we get to know them even better. The way they work together is brilliant and surprisingly way less cheesy than in Mane Six' case. Sandbar is still my favorite, seems to be a pretty good leader (though Ocellus seems like one as well). Each of them is great in their own way, in all honesty - I like all of the Student Six better than the Mane Six, which I find incredibly surprising. Also, what is Cozy Glow up to? She seems to be a legit villain there, not sure why though. Is she Neighsay's daughter? Is she Chrysalis herself? Guess we'll find out in a few weeks!

Fav episode of the season for sure, this part of the season is on fire!

Spoilers for the final:

Spoiler

In the final magic is disappearing across Equestria, again. Characters believe it's Tirek again, but I'm pretty sure it's not. With this episode, I think I know what's actually going on: Cozy Glow does something to the tree, and THAT'S what's causing the problem. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)

Next thing you know, we'll have an "Ask the Tree Of Harmony" thread.

Edited by Anti-Villain
  • Brohoof 5
  • teacup 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, about what was under the school before we're even halfway done.

Spoiler

Loyal Defender pointed out how the Students six seem to be trapped in illusions of their fears or dislikes.

Silverstream's fear is the Storm King

Sandbar's is abandoning his pony friends.

Gallus' is claustrophobia.

Yona's is spiders

Smolder's is cutesy.

Ocellus' fear is being seen as the new Queen Chrysalis (or new Changeling Queen, if generally speakinig)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

Just now, Starlightglimmerfan19 said:

What about cozy’s glows manipulative.

I'm not even fully done with the episode. Please don't quote me yet.

And @Dark Qiviut already pointed out the Cozy Glow thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

Spoiler

Wow, I got IT's vibes from this one...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

(edited)

About the Tree of Harmony.

Spoiler

It IS a living Spirit. Just as I suspected from the Mean 6 episode where the Tree protected itself from Chrysalis' Mean 6.

In fact, Twilight herself said right at the start. "Almost as if it has a mind of its own." complete with Twi moving her hoofs like you do with your mysterious hands.

 

Edited by Will Guide

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

(edited)

This episode reminds me a lot of both the pilot and The Crystal Empire. Their friendships and themselves were tested, and they passed them. @Ganondox is right about how morally questionable some of the Tree's tests were, especially Gallus's, but it majorly improved on both of them, too.

  1. Each stake is legit and isn't phoned in at all. The Tree understood how important their friendship to each other truly is. These tests were put in place as illusions to remind them of it. And WLB didn't dumb down the tone to stick to a restrictive E/I rating or rush it through.
  2. Vogel spent a great deal of time equally pacing each fear and connecting them all to bond the Student Six even more than before. Smolder and Gallus were the first to pass their tests, but rather than leave the cave, they searched for the others, demonstrating how much they bonded and changed since School Daze.
  3. Ocellus and Smolder's bond is really touching. When O feared she never truly changed, Smolder reassured her she did and used her own secretive love for things cute and feminine as an example. She's still masculine in nature, but balances it out nicely and shares her trust with Ocellus.
  4. In TCE, Celestia ordered Twilight on that quest just after The Crystal Empire mysteriously returned, even though she and Luna are more than capable of defeating Sombra themselves, and the contrived moral was set up really poorly. The Tree can't mandate them to sneak under the school; they had to choose so themselves. Gallus openly questioned the Tree's tactics, who explained why friendship is in their nature and delivered the moral of how their friendships and concern for them tightens bonds.

This leads me to this (finale spoilers):

Spoiler

RaphLuna in another thread speculated how the Student Six may become the new Bearers of Harmony. This episode supports that theory.

Secondly, recall Dubuc referring to them as the Young Six (rather than the Student Six like most of us)? It might be a subtle hint of what may become of them in School Raze.

 

Edited by Dark Qiviut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.