Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What happened to the background color option?

The Kaeya Simp

Jeric mentioned, that he is still working on the toolbar's layout. Things keep appearing and disappearing. Even the bold option is gone in my view. I suppose we just need to give him some time before pointing things out. :P

Edited by Rikifive
Typing on mobile, yeah...

7 hours ago, Sherbert Music-Guard said:

For a little while at least 2 days ago (can't remember when exactly)
and I'm wondering why it was removed

It was a brief test that failed miserably. If you see weirdness without an announcement, it's usually a test or temporary. 

7 hours ago, Rikifive said:

Jeric mentioned, that he is still working on the toolbar's layout. Things keep appearing and disappearing. Even the bold option is gone in my view. I suppose we just need to give him some time before pointing things out. :P

I'll look at that shortly. 

• Brohoof 3

Since it's gone from all toolbar sizes for a longer moment now and I'm not sure what are the plans, I'd like to express my need for the preview button.

I use this button to check, if my post will be formatted correctly, as despite the editor being WYSIWYG, it doesn't show the post's final form. For example, BBCode typed manually is processed while submitting, so it's always worth to check if there are no typos or if simply the functions are closed properly. If I'll notice some crazy things happening in the preview, I can just get back to editing and fix it easily. Without that possibility, it all turns out after posting, so not only everybody may potentially suffer from seeing weird looking post, it will be also impossible to revert that, as at that point I'll have to manually re-format things, that went wild. There was that one time, where while being on mobile, I've put "[ s ]" somewhere in the middle of the post and forgot to close it in the end. Oh the result was a disaster, half of the post was struck through and I had to clean the whole formatting of the second half of the post with the [ Tx ] button and format that part again, as opposed to just adding [ /s ] in the correct place. Generally I'm trying to always preview my posts with formatting, that potentially could go wrong. It really can save troubles and prevent others from seeing top 10 epic posting fails. :twi:

There's another button-- or buttons, that is are extremely important for mobile devices. Undo and Redo, mainly Undo. While on desktop, we can use key shortcuts, so it's not an issue there. However, there's no hope when on mobile. For example, if you'll accidentally remove some content, you'll have to write it all again, due to lack of undo. Functions like strike through can be accessed by typing bbcode manually, so the button is just a matter of convenience, undo/redo on the other hoof, are buttons, that are irreplaceable; On mobile, that is.

Please consider these, as they play a very important role. They don't just add fancy effects to the text, they have a real usage, that is helpful on top of that. :please:

Edited by Rikifive
  • Brohoof 1

I'll consider it, but I am not removing strike-through, font color from any of the viewport sizes. Also, spoiler or quote was not in the mobile menu. Not sure why, but those are of greater use to a greater percentage of users. I got no problem adding tools, but I have reasons for placing some of the ones I placed on mobile. 

• Brohoof 1

Oh, I didn't mean to suggest their removal. I just wanted to express the greater importance of the buttons I've mentioned, over some of the other ones, but I don't mind having all of these. What's more, I actually think it's convenient to have these, especially when thinking about other users.

The reason spoiler and quote indeed are highly recommended to have, is that you can't create these the other way, quickly and effectively, that is. Especially spoiler, it is a must have for all views, even for desktop. Without it you either won't see users hiding contents in spoilers or you'll be receiving countless reports / complaints of them behaving weirdly and asking for help (when they'll have to type spoiler codes manually).

I don't even have to search far, a member here on MLPF has reported such an issue. Let me quote from the thread located in Feedback;

On 8/2/2018 at 4:30 PM, Envy said:

"All I wanted to do was put the first two videos under the spoiler, and everything else be outside of it. However, even though I coded it properly when posting it, everything was inside the spoiler when it posted."

This is what exactly tends to happen if you use [ spoiler ] tags manually and this is why I strongly advise against doing it whenever I only have a chance. The results it can generate are disastrous, especially when it comes to long posts. Inexperienced and unaware users may have troubles with fixing it afterwards, not mentioning the frustration it can cause. This glitch came with the V4 upgrade, where the BBCode mode (thus partially support for it) was dropped, which of course is something you know. :twi: I literally have bumped into that issue in the very first days the V4 was released and the hassle it brought me... you don't want to remove that button, believe me. :P 

Either way, I assume you're still working on this? The current layout is completely messy! :derp:

This is now how mobile will look like for users on a six in. screen.

Screenshot_20180817-170234.png

Personally I need several of the post options on the toolbar. I can get by with some issues with Speech to Text but having a toolbar that allows one button press is easier for me after my accident since I lost some ...  mobility ... in my dominant hand. Hence why you see several typos that have been pointed out from time to time. 

:-)

• Brohoof 2

The order of these is completely different than the one on desktop (which is veeery nicely organized in my opinion). I'll probably find that as confusing once I'll be using mobile. :derp: Is that order intentional? :P 

Also on desktop, the preview button used to be at the very end, now it's before undo/redo. Any chances of getting it back to the very end? :squee: I see the previewing as a final step before posting, so I just like to have it at the very end. :P