Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Have you ever had to heed nature's call in the woods?

Feather Data

Have you pooped in the woods before?  

34 users have voted

1. 1. Have you pooped in the woods before?

• Yes
    • No

Yes I have. But not necessarily in the woods, but at the beach. What?? Peeing in the ocean is normal! :laugh: It's just that if the water is cold it makes it near impossible.... 

Edited by Lucky Bolt

5 minutes ago, Feather Data said:

You gotta learn how to rough it...

Well, I don't mean to be rude, but I don't "gotta" do anything. I don't enjoy hiking, it's not for me.

• Brohoof 2

Avoiding having to take a crap in the woods is the main reason I did not like camping as a kid. Also why we had a lakeside campsite that was close to a toilet. Although those weren't much of a step up over going behind a bush. At least it had toilet paper.

Just now, zombienixon said:

Avoiding having to take a crap in the woods is the main reason I did not like camping as a kid. Also why we had a lakeside campsite that was close to a toilet. Although those weren't much of a step up over going behind a bush. At least it had toilet paper.

I think this is the type of thing many kids should be taught at camp, how to poop in the woods, as it is part of roughing it

And yes, you should bring your own toilet paper.

3 hours ago, Lucky Bolt said:

Yes I have. But not necessarily in the woods, but at the beach. What?? Peeing in the ocean is normal! :laugh: It's just that if the water is cold it makes it near impossible.... 

Oh? for both boys and girls?

Yes, I crapped in the woods once. It was late at night and I was alone in the forest when I suddenly had to go. I don't remember what I was doing. I think I just wanted some peace and solitude away from the house for a little while.

I've peed in forests and wilderness settings countless times.

• Brohoof 1

20 hours ago, Feather Data said:

Oh? for both boys and girls?

Yeah....it's not like it's an obvious thing. When you're in the ocean no one can tell. :P

Yes, both types, and countless times. When you're in the field and the nearest latrine is three miles out, with a 200+ person line... you just have to get creative. If you're lucky you'll have a river, if not, cat holes and bushes are pretty good last resorts.

2 minutes ago, Meson Bolt said:

Yes, both types, and countless times. When you're in the field and the nearest latrine is three miles out, with a 200+ person line... you just have to get creative. If you're lucky you'll have a river, if not, cat holes and bushes are pretty good last resorts.

Cathole are what you should use, you do not want to contaminate water sources

Just now, Feather Data said:

Cathole are what you should use, you do not want to contaminate water sources

I mean, we have markers for where you're allowed to use the river. The designated area is always pretty far downstream, so folks at camp can still bathe and wash clothes.

And we don't use rivers for drinking, anyway.

7 minutes ago, Meson Bolt said:

I mean, we have markers for where you're allowed to use the river. The designated area is always pretty far downstream, so folks at camp can still bathe and wash clothes.

And we don't use rivers for drinking, anyway.

but rivers are still water sources used to collect some water.

Leave No Trace suggest so be at least 150 feet away from any water source

1 minute ago, Califorum said:

I'll embarrass myself and say yes I have, not in many years though.

There is no shame and no embarrasment about doing it, hikers, and many outdoor people do this a lot.

When you gotta go, you gotta go!

• Brohoof 1

I've barely been in the woods in my life, but when I have, I've never found taking a 'Number 2' necessary. 

Edited by Cash In

I spent a few days in the mountains with some friends, and luckily I never had to do that. There were some public toilets right by our camp ground, and I'm glad there was. Living in the city most of my life you never realize how loud you actually are until the slightest sound causes an echo.