Jeric

Warning, there will likely be spoilers in the Episode discussion threads so venture in at your own peril. 

Message added by Jeric

School Raze  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Episode: Like or Dislike?

• Tirek: *twitches right eye* (I HATE IT! >__<)
    • Young Six: *groans in disappointment* (I dislike it!)
    • Twilight: *key explodes* I guess it only works once. (…meh…)
    • Rainbow Dash: Uh, duh! (I like it!)
    • Pinkie: *snicker* I can do this allllll eternity. (I LOVE IT! <3)
  2. 2. Cozy: Fan or not?

• Cozy: Wait! Where are you going?!! STOOOOOOOOOOOOP!!!!!!!! (WORST VILLAIN EVER! >__<)
    • Cozy: *slams closet door* Do you three think you could fool me?! I know a diversion when I see it! (She sucks!)
    • Cozy: AHEM! *Starlight stumbles to the floor* (…meh…)
    • Cozy: *claps as Twilight announces surprise exam* (She rocks!)
    • Cozy: YEAH! WOO-HOO! (BEST VILLAIN EVER! <3)
  3. 4. What part of Cozy as a villain do you like most?

• Casually dressing up her racism
    • Her competence
    • Befriending others to take advantage of them during crises and steal more of their magic
    • Casually being in background shots (like a non-villain)
    • Her manipulative scheming and lying (including turning their words against them)
    • Her lack of remorse
  4. 5. If the Young Six become Bearers of Harmony, when will it take place?

Yes, I rainbow Dash knew that evil witch was up to no good and she's just as bad as the three siren sisters  too ! The episode season 8 finale was 100% cooler ! Just think if Cozy Glow gets canceled off this show for being a lying tramp maybe haaaaa she'd go crazy if they put her in the Paw Patrol episode and she'd say ?" WHERE I'M I NOOOOO NOT PAW PATROL I'M DOOMED"! 

This finale makes me need an adult.

Overall, it was a decent finale. By no means the best, by no means the worst, but decent. It had its ups and downs. But this finale really can't be looked at as a whole, because, at least to me, it was made up of moments. Some of these moments hit well, extremely well, while some fell flat. But I'm not here to talk about those that fell flat. Oh no, I'm here to talk about the rather disturbing moments, as well as the really good moments.

Tartarus

Let's address the elephant in the room. We've finally gotten to see Tartarus, and boy is their portrayal of it interesting. Not only do we trap fully sentient villains in this place, but apparently any magical creature (and fillies, but we'll get to that later, trust me) that has ever wronged a pony, ever, gets tossed in a cage for eternity. Am I the only one that isn't quite sitting right with? Honestly I'm not sure how Fluttershy didn't blow a fuse and form a revolt on the spot. Did she not reject Wrangler's assistance entirely for even suggesting the use of cages back in her sanctuary episode? Sure those were regular creatures and not monsters, but to Fluttershy those segregations don't really exist. Sure these critters are dangerous, and may have caused damage, but all of them could go through training or rehabilitation, and a lot of them may act more on instinct than with concious intelligence. Do we just toss critters into Tartarus every time they act on instinct or attack something out of being defensive? Goodness I hope not.

I'm just very surprised that, A, the show flat out depicted the caging of creatures with seemingly no routine outlet or care, and B, that Fluttershy didn't tell Twilight to stuff her Cozy Glow mission up her tail, go to bang on Celestia's front door and demand the ethical treatment of all Equestrian creatures.

Cozy Glow

'How do you even get this psychotic at age - I don't even know how old you are - nine? Twelve? It took Starlight until adulthood to go full bananas and execute a crazy plan, calm down!'

~ Me to my computer screen for 44 minutes straight

Jokes aside, Cozy's character fits a villain trope we haven't really seen yet, and that's the 'sickly sweet' villain, the one who wears a face and gets you to follow them out of false adoration, as opposed to desperation, force, fear or power like almost all of the past premiere and finale villains have done. Chrysalis sort of did this in the S2 finale but it wasn't quite the same thing, seeing as disguises were involved.

Typically these villains are hated on very harshly, because the audience often gets irritated with ongoing knowledge that the protagonists aren't aware of, yet. They roll their eyes, and some would rather fast forward to the reveal that, to us is obvious and has been obvious for, in our case an entire season. However, in that aspect I do like her as a villain; she's something new, and the fact a filly at her age is capable of psychotic behavior and manipulation of this level truly brings the Equestria lore to a slightly darker place. Cozy Glow is sort of like pre-reformation Diamond Tiara as a super villain. They both wanted to be adored/admired by absolutely everyone and used manipulation to get there, though Cozy's case her schemes were far more sinister. At least Tiara learned her lesson, and her heinousness typically didn't go beyond Ponyville, let alone the schoolyard.

That all said, Cozy is definitely not in my top villains list. Her character lacked weight because we have absolutely no backstory, a motive that was only touched upon near the end of the finale, and, in general, she just...isn't threatening. Of course that's not necessarily a bad thing; these types of villains are supposed to be more subtle and disturbing than they are creators of destruction and shock. Unfortunately they've never personally been my cup of tea.

Also Celestia refers to 'Tartarus' as a 'fitting place' for a filly to 'not cause harm to everyone'. Yes she's absolutely nuts but she's still, presumably just a filly. Damn. Do not mess with horses and their magic.

Tiara, you're lucky your shenanigans never caused issues outside bullying cause your ass might have been down there in hell too right now with this horse in charge! :mlp_toldya:

Chancellor Neighsay

2k2my7.jpg.0ae4dbb5bfecf5388c707336ce8e16b7.jpg

Now first and foremost, I like how Neighsay was reformed. It wasn't some stupid friendship speech, it was him realizing that he looked like a damn fool in front of the children who saved his sorry behind, right after he finished locking them up (uh oh, even more child abuse this episode). That's pretty realistic. He hit rock bottom after being detained by Clozy Glow, and his saviors were the ones he had previously belittled. That's a pretty realistic way to change someone's views. And because at first it was displayed as the, 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend' trope, the swiftness of Neighsay to help the Student Six with their goals was also realistic.

Still though, I'm not ready to like this guy yet. :please:

Tirek

Oh, this was due. This bit is what makes Cozy's character better as a villain, because she, a child, didn't do this entire elaborate scheme, herself. Cozy had a selfish ambition sprinkled with some psychotic tendencies, and Tirek, an actual supervillain gave her a vehicle for it. That's fairly believable. Even if you ain't hit puberty yet you can do a lot of evil stuff with the blueprints for a bazooka that fires pure evil.

Tirek himself was funny. It's interesting how his character seems to change between when he's a weakling to when he's buffed up. His silver tongue slips away for the most part after he's begun to gain power, and he speaks more forwardly. Here we got to see more of how he original was, interacting with Discord in the S4 finale, and it was extremely enjoyable. The interactions between the Mane Six and Tirek were some of the highlights of this entire episode, and you all know right now what I'm talking about.

1819288__safe_screencap_lord+tirek_pinkie+pie_school+raze_spoiler-colon-s08e26_animated_cage_cake_centaur_cup_duo_earth+pony_female_food_hat_male_mare_.gif

"TIREK'S IN!"

Seeing more of Tirek in his weaker form was good for his character, especially being exposed to some humor, seeing as the majority of his last appearance was very serious. I've been waiting to see him again for two seasons and it did not disappoint.

Overall Thoughts

Slightly controversial ideas aside, this was an amusing finale. The loss of magic theme was brought back in a way that wasn't entirely redundant from the S4 finale, while still managing to involve Tirek in the plot. That's an accomplishment in of itself. Cozy Glow was a very interesting villain that, overall was presented well. We got to see Tartarus, and seeing all the creatures offer their help to save Equestria was pretty cool (even if does kinda confirm the fact that they can all just be rehabilitated and released again, but hey).

We got to see Tirek again, Cozy got her comeuppance finally, Pinkie was amazing as always, we got to see more critters (I love Cockatrice tbh), and the Student Six got their chance to save Equestria. All is well.

...seriously though what is up with Celestia imprisoning children and magical creatures in cages? Perhaps Cozy Glow isn't the only one putting on a fake face, lately...

large.png

Season 9 finale villain, anyone?

Art by ToisaNeMoifs

• Brohoof 3
  • Party! 1

I have a feeling that Twilight is gonna go SO crazy that not only she throws a Scrooge McDuck Tantrum, but her friends and Celestia suggest Flash Sentry become Royal Guard at the Castle, for her protection and her sanity! We need more Princes, because Shining Armor and Blueblood are NOT ENOUGH! And what if Twilight goes evil from all this stress? Will it take Daydream Shimmer to bring her back to reality again?

Edited by YoshiAngemon

I Love Cozy, she's my favorite villain in this show, because I'm weird like that, and I always love the craziest villains. It didn't feel rushed in my opinion, I'm actually very impressed about how well they've handled it. This season... I hated it... well as much as I can hate a season of mlp... and by that, I mean that it was a pretty decent season... anyway, that season was not the best and I was pretty disappointed but this finale has...

So I've watched the season finale... It was great! Everything about Cozy Glow. The way she inherited power, cult of personality, it was just all great. The reactions to the loss of magic throughout Equestria reminded me of how people reacted to major events in world history. Also, it looks like the Tree of Harmony sees the Student Six as the next successors of the Mane Six looking how they possessed the tree's powers well. Great episode indeed. Who knows what Season 9 will bring us? 

Edited by TransitPony

One thing I liked about the finale was the way Cozy's dialogue was written. They got the balance between innocence and being manipulative perfectly. She carefully eased everyone in the direction she wanted. 

I like for example how she got Rainbow Dash to cover for Twilight. "I just told her how busy you are and how much her loyalty meant to you."

It sounds innocent, but she was basically guilt-tripping RD here. 

Edited by JH24
  • Brohoof 3
  • Pinkie Cup 1

Cozy Glow just stole this finale, I cant just see this season the same after this eps. 

• Brohoof 1

This is probably the least impressive finale in the spectacle department, but I think it was intentional due to Cozy being the most unassuming villain ever. Cozy isn’t the first villain that’s unassuming, that belongs to Starlight, but Starlight is accomplished in magic so she could back-up her former villain status. Cozy is just a filly, and not a unicorn at that, so a head-on conflict would’ve been suicide, but she’s the most cunning villains, and was close to being successful. 

medium.jpeg

Now Ikm conflicted, I’d expected Chrissy to be the final villain, but Cozy being already a tremendous threat with her mind alone, it’d be fantastic to see what she could do with powers  :unsure:

Another season behind us, and I have to admit that Cozy proved herself to be a threat as a villain on the levels of Lord Tirek or Queen Chrysalis with her plan.

Also, gotta admit, how Neighsay was given a reality check regarding his bias against the Student Six by Cozy really drove home how badly he mistreated them. He thought they would use what they learned at the School of Friendship against Equestria, and he ends up discovering that one of his own kind used what they learned against the ponies instead. As a result, after the Student Six free him, he immediately makes amends by using what magic his medallion had left before it was drained completely to summon one last portal to reach Canterlot and warn Celestia and Luna of the threat and summon reinforcements, so they and Cadence were not useless in this finale or had to be rescued again since they could still fight, just without their Alicorn magic. Not to mention having Flash Magnus as their new drill sergeant must have paid off for the Royal Guards since they helped for once and were not useless every time the Princesses were kidnapped in previous seasons. They even started integrating female members into the corps, if the one Pegasus who helped lock Cozy up in Tartarus is any indication.

Also, I was impressed by the number of strange creatures and animal hybrids that were locked up in Tartarus under Cerberus' watch. Among them, I saw a manticore, a chimera, a bugbear, a cockatrice, the mole-like creature that Thorax, Pharynx, and the Changelings dealt with a season earlier, and some I've never seen yet or don't recognize at first. Heck, the chimera could have been the same one Apple Bloom dealt with a couple of seasons ago. As for Cerberus, he was making it clear he was not letting Lord Tirek out of his sight again after what happened previously. He led the Mane Six right to his cell, and remained nearby in case of trouble, especially if he knew about the magic problem occurring at the moment, so Twilight would need his protection with her Alicorn magic gone.

As for Lord Tirek, nice to see him still under lock and key after his previous defeat, but though he no longer had his dark magic or physical strength, he still had that strategic mind of his, using it to have Cozy concoct her plan as part of his revenge so he could enjoy the thought of the Mane Six being locked in Tartarus for eternity, until they mention he would be stuck with them due to his own sentence, so it only took Pinkie torturing him for a few minutes to get him to crack and agree to help get rid of them and let them out by sacrificing whatever of his dark magic he still had to Twilight, combined with the natural magic that allowed Cerberus and the other hybrid creatures to maintain their fused forms to provide Twilight enough to open the gates and allow them to get out before they closed again.

Cozy being able to manipulate the students to revolt against Neighsay after bringing up how he had tried to close the School of Friendship once before was a good move, but then using what Neighsay said to turn them against the Student Six by making them look like the villains and not Cozy may have been a bad move. When the Student Six risk getting captured alongside Starlight to save Gallus, the students begin to re-think their actions, but Cozy simply tells them off for it. Then the Tree of Harmony intervenes, having seen the Elements of Harmony within the Student Six, and stops Cozy's plan from succeeding as it was just about to transport Starlight, the Student Six, and all the collected magic to who knows where. This time, the students don't help Cozy, run for their lives, and leave the Student Six to undo Cozy's plan just at the last second. Then, when Cozy shows no remorse or guilt for her actions and pretty much vows to try again elsewhere, it's all the testimony the Mane Six, Neighsay, the Royal Sisters, and the Royal Guards need to decide Cozy needs a good stint in Tartarus to teach her a lesson for abusing the Magic of Friendship like she did.

Though the cliffhanger regarding Cozy being locked up in Tartarus by Luna next to Tirek does provide some food for thought as we wait for Season 9...

All in all, the Student Six were a nice addition this season, Neighsay made amends with Twilight and granted the School of Friendship full EEA support and accreditation, and we've got a good lead-in to Season 9 with the last thing Cozy said regarding being Tirek's new cellmate in Tartarus.

I'll give this finale a full 10/10.

Woo-wee! What an ending to a great season. I knew Cozy Glow was up to something and boy was I right. And you know what...I think it isn't over yet...I normally would say "Why the hay would you banish a foal to Tartarus, but after what she did, pft, she deserved it...and she's STILL scheming...should've just banished her from Equestria beyond Tartarus.

Great lesson about taking friendship the wrong way, and FINALLY, Neighsay's eyes are opened! I tell ya, this was a very real episode. We all should watch this because we end up meeting the wrong person that may take advantage of us and ruin our lives. In the words of Ike to Cozy Glow

• Brohoof 2

I thoroughly enjoyed this finale, but I'm a little bit confused concerning the plot.  Cozy was draining all of the magic from Equestria, but she was sending it to another dimension instead of keeping it all to herself for her use (I gathered that she didn't have a choice in the matter thanks to how the draining functioned).  So, she was really only interested in becoming incredibly popular and therefore (in her mind, at least) powerful?  I guess she never did see the rainbows and lasers that happens with the magic of friendship - she might have preferred that instead if she did.

Also, I'd be interested in learning whether the other dimension the magic was being sent to is the Equestria Girls dimension.

Edited by Draxon
Added an additional thought.

31 minutes ago, Draxon said:

I thoroughly enjoyed this finale, but I'm a little bit confused concerning the plot.  Cozy was draining all of the magic from Equestria, but she was sending it to another dimension instead of keeping it all to herself for her use (I gathered that she didn't have a choice in the matter thanks to how the draining functioned).  So, she was really only interested in becoming incredibly popular and therefore (in her mind, at least) powerful?  I guess she never did see the rainbows and lasers that happens with the magic of friendship - she might have preferred that instead if she did.

Also, I'd be interested in learning whether the other dimension the magic was being sent to is the Equestria Girls dimension.

I'm wondering that too, would be really cool if the human world is where the magic was being sent to.

• Brohoof 1

11 hours ago, tostr said:

anyone else notice the photo she put on the headmare's desk?

Who can miss the face of that little devil's incarnation?:awed:

11 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

Now Ikm conflicted, I’d expected Chrissy to be the final villain, but Cozy being already a tremendous threat with her mind alone, it’d be fantastic to see what she could do with powers  :unsure:

Every cartoon villain become dumb after they got full power so I hope they wont get that as long as possible.

I was so ready for Cozy to be Chrysalis :( 

Oh well, she's still a great villain and I doubt we've seen the last of her.