Jeric

Warning, there will likely be spoilers in the Episode discussion threads so venture in at your own peril. 

Message added by Jeric

School Raze  

118 members have voted

  1. 1. Episode: Like or Dislike?

    • Tirek: *twitches right eye* (I HATE IT! >__<)
    • Young Six: *groans in disappointment* (I dislike it!)
    • Twilight: *key explodes* I guess it only works once. (…meh…)
    • Rainbow Dash: Uh, duh! (I like it!)
    • Pinkie: *snicker* I can do this allllll eternity. (I LOVE IT! <3)
  2. 2. Cozy: Fan or not?

    • Cozy: Wait! Where are you going?!! STOOOOOOOOOOOOP!!!!!!!! (WORST VILLAIN EVER! >__<)
    • Cozy: *slams closet door* Do you three think you could fool me?! I know a diversion when I see it! (She sucks!)
    • Cozy: AHEM! *Starlight stumbles to the floor* (…meh…)
    • Cozy: *claps as Twilight announces surprise exam* (She rocks!)
    • Cozy: YEAH! WOO-HOO! (BEST VILLAIN EVER! <3)
  3. 4. What part of Cozy as a villain do you like most?

    • Casually dressing up her racism
    • Her competence
    • Befriending others to take advantage of them during crises and steal more of their magic
    • Casually being in background shots (like a non-villain)
    • Her manipulative scheming and lying (including turning their words against them)
    • Her lack of remorse
  4. 5. If the Young Six become Bearers of Harmony, when will it take place?



Recommended Posts

This episode was also missing Neighsay calling it on the line Twilight's school would doom Equestria. He was right. No school meant no Cozy Glow power grab. He was also right to question if the Mane 6 would run off while their school was in session as they did that, it gave Cozy the opening to enact her master plan.

So Neighsay, was proven right on some points. Just that the show will never acknowledge it.

Edited by Singe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/25/2018 at 6:08 PM, Singe said:

This episode was also missing Neighsay calling it on the line Twilight's school would doom Equestria. He was right. No school meant no Cozy Glow power grab. He was also right to question if the Mane 6 would run off while their school was in session as they did that, it gave Cozy the opening to enact her master plan.

So Neighsay, was proven right on some points. Just that the show will never acknowledge it.

So they should just close it down?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, heavens-champion said:

So they should just close it down?

Or Twilight should have someone else not her friends manage the school. Princess Celestia would have someone under her manage the schools while she's doing daily royal duties.

Edited by Singe
  • Brohoof 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

-Where's Discord in all of this :wacko: ? I feel like either his magic was drained so he was trapped in his own realm, or he'd be too easy to use as a cop-out.

-You put a little filly in Tartarus :wacko: ? Also her motive seems.... I don't really know it :huh: . Like just being power-hungry is kinda boring :maud: . Surely something else motivated her :please: .

-Pinkie's da best, how friendly she could be even around Tirek albeit trying to frustrate him.

-Ending sort of implies we're not through with her, sort of, so that's one loose end to tie or just forget about. Like is that the end of it; have her stuck in Tartarus forever :wacko: ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why am I the only one wondering why Nicole Dubuc wrote part 1 while Josh Haber wrote part 2?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still sort of bugs me hwo the Tree of harmony Just does nothing while Cozy Glow does her master plan RIGHT in front of its roots. Yet, when the young six wonder down by accident in What lies beneath it is all "Who goes there!"

The tree saving the young six at the end just felt like the writers wrote themselves into the corner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like I've finallly finished watching all the 2-parters of the show. As I knew I won't be getting any episodes with this much significance in story for a while, I was quite hyped up for this episode. Sadly, although this episode had some cool moments and an okay story, I'll have to say that I was slightly disappointed at the episode.

This episode certainly wasn't bad. I do think the cause of my disappointment is due to my high expectations, but I'll still point out some things I think could've been done differently.

 

1. The episode was very dark and had a complex storyline for a FiM episode, but some parts of the story felt too lighthearted and didn't fit in well.

I usually enjoy FiM for its bright and non-serious stories, so I was quite surprised at how dark and serious the story was in this one. I didn't hate the change, though. Having a complex storyline for once did feel refreshing, so no problems there. However, some parts of the story like Pinkie Pie 'annoying' Tirek to make him help, didn't feel serious at all. Those kind of plots would've been fine in a normal episode, but given the tone of this particular episode, those moments felt awkward and out of place. I'm not trying to say that Pinkie shouldn't joke around in serious episodes - I actually liked a lot of her jokes here. What I didn't like, was that a joke scene served as an integral part of the story. Maybe it's me being too nitpicky, but some moments like those broke the serious mood of the story for me.

2. The ending was too abrupt and nonsensical.

If I recall correctly, there had been a lot of foreshadowing in this episode, and they were interesting to see. However, was there any indication that the tree of harmony was going to interfere? The student 6 do go though the secret corridor where they met tree of harmony, but I still don't think that's enough. The ending was too abrupt (while watching the show, I was surprised the it was almost over when nothing seemed to have progressed) and unsatisfying. Why couldn't the tree do anything earlier? In the end, it felt as if all the efforts from the mane 6 and the student 6 didn't matter. The tree is too convinient of a plot device, and just like the elements of harmony in previous seasons, prevents interesting stories to take place.

 

Besides, I didn't really like Cozy Glow. She was probably the most evil villain ever in FiM history - she didn't even have any reason behind her like Chrysalis or Starlight. Her strategies seemed too vile, being manipulative and deceiving, while pretending to be nice. No other villan has ever put on a show like she did (maybe except for Chrysalis, but she had her reasons).

Another factor that made her so unlikable was that she wasn't cool at all. Unlike other villains with powerful magical abilities and vicious looks, she looked lame and relied on other's powers. She is not the type of villain that appears in fantasy stories, and more of a villain that appears in criminal stories. It might be a personal preference, but I'd rather like a monster type antagonist with cool magical powers, like Chrysalis, Nightmare Moon, Starlight and such.

cozy_glow.jpg.6cd79691160f1f0005418cc2ab4c9ae3.jpg

But isn't Tartarus a bit too much for a filly? I hoped Twi would teach her the real meaning of friendship, she even looked a bit concerned for Cozy in the end. :bea:

Edited by qwerE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Her plan also makes no sense I shall get rid of magic, get all the friends adn have all the power. The moment people realize you're the one responsible for taking away the magic you're going to have no friends and even if they did what relation does magic have to having friends?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

8 minutes ago, Senko said:

Her plan also makes no sense I shall get rid of magic, get all the friends adn have all the power. The moment people realize you're the one responsible for taking away the magic you're going to have no friends and even if they did what relation does magic have to having friends?

It's implied that she was using the crisis to come off like a hero.

Quote

Sandbar: Sorry I'm late. Cozy Glow gave our class tickets to a Sapphire Shores concert in Ponyville tonight.

Gallus: You get the feeling Cozy's trying too hard to make us like her?

Ocellus: Or maybe she just wants to help us keep our minds off of how scary it is that magic's disappearing.

Also, if no one had magic, then no one would be able to stand up to her empire of "friends." With the planes evened as it were, then the strongest would be whoever can convince the most people to be on their side.

Plus, it allowed her to trap the mane 6 in Tartarus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, qwerE said:

But isn't Tartarus a bit too much for a filly? I hoped Twi would teach her the real meaning of friendship, she even looked a bit concerned for Cozy in the end. :bea:

I would definitely agree. After all we have heard about Tartarus and how all the evil spirits and demons go there, isn't sending Cozy Glow there a bit harsh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, gingerninja666 said:

It's implied that she was using the crisis to come off like a hero.

Also, if no one had magic, then no one would be able to stand up to her empire of "friends." With the planes evened as it were, then the strongest would be whoever can convince the most people to be on their side.

Plus, it allowed her to trap the mane 6 in Tartarus.

Except there was no plan to "save the magic" so outside of the students at Twilight's school no one's really going to know about her much less listen to her. With magic gone you still have the Equestrian army, adult ponies who are bigger and stronger, organizations that have more members. It just doesn't hold together for me. She assumes she'll have the most friends and the most power but the crusaders know the truth, that one moonwalking colt know's somethings going on, Neighsay know's the truth. Even if everything had gone off perfectly she'd not really be able to muster much power compared to even Mayor Mayor much less the larger Equestria and that's assuming all the other students did join her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

Tartarus seems to have gotten a fairly major downgrade from its first appearance though we have Tirek, Cozy and a bunch of dangerous animals not the most powerful and evil beings in Equestrian history.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

14 minutes ago, Senko said:

Except there was no plan to "save the magic" so outside of the students at Twilight's school no one's really going to know about her much less listen to her. With magic gone you still have the Equestrian army, adult ponies who are bigger and stronger, organizations that have more members. It just doesn't hold together for me. She assumes she'll have the most friends and the most power but the crusaders know the truth, that one moonwalking colt know's somethings going on, Neighsay know's the truth. Even if everything had gone off perfectly she'd not really be able to muster much power compared to even Mayor Mayor much less the larger Equestria and that's assuming all the other students did join her.

That's the point though. Cozy's a very persuasive pony. The assumption is she would be able to sweet talk and charm the majority of people into siding with her once the strongest magics were neutered and people became scared and confused. Especially if she had the backing of a respected institution like Princess Twilight's School of Friendship. Do you honestly think she couldn't play Mayor Mare like a fiddle if she wanted to? She wouldn't be a straight conqueror. She'd likely continue doing what she did with Twilight. Worm her way into being loved and trusted, then taking over.

Edited by gingerninja666

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Senko said:

Tartarus seems to have gotten a fairly major downgrade from its first appearance though we have Tirek, Cozy and a bunch of dangerous animals not the most powerful and evil beings in Equestrian history.

I have no idea why the animals are even there (except for plot convenience of course) - Flutters Stared the cockatrice into compliance, but anypony else is going to need smoked glasses at least; the chimera was a nusance to AJ, but not really a threat (and clearly she knew it would be there, hence going equipped) although I can see why it might have been a problem for anypony else (the everfree largely has more reasons to be afraid of the mane 6 than they have of it, but of course that isn't true of ponies generally)

Tirek we know is there, and as far as I can tell, there isn't really any other powerful and evil being they have that CAN be locked up there (smokebutt got smashed to pieces, cheesebutt is still on the loose (and presumably could just change to something that could squeeze easily out of a cage), and even if Discord wasn't reformed, Tartarus isn't really going to hold them.  There was (briefly) the Pony of Shadows, but they got pushed back into the void.  Stormy went the same way as smokebutt, so that's the lot for more recent bad guys other than Crazy Glow of course.

Given equestria's practice of reformation rather than imprisonment, it would seem reasonable that Tartarus is more there to act as a threat to potential evildooers than an actual working prison for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, gingerninja666 said:

That's the point though. Cozy's a very persuasive pony. The assumption is she would be able to sweet talk and charm the majority of people into siding with her once the strongest magics were neutered and people became scared and confused. Especially if she had the backing of a respected institution like Princess Twilight's School of Friendship. Do you honestly think she couldn't play Mayor Mare like a fiddle if she wanted to? She wouldn't be a straight conqueror. She'd likely continue doing what she did with Twilight. Worm her way into being loved and trusted, then taking over.

Perhaps I find it hard to belive she'd be believed especially since she'd have to keep dodging around what happened to Twilight, Starlight and the rest especially since her plan didn't go off properly and Neighsay told Celestia what she was up too.

 

2 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

I have no idea why the animals are even there (except for plot convenience of course) - Flutters Stared the cockatrice into compliance, but anypony else is going to need smoked glasses at least; the chimera was a nusance to AJ, but not really a threat (and clearly she knew it would be there, hence going equipped) although I can see why it might have been a problem for anypony else (the everfree largely has more reasons to be afraid of the mane 6 than they have of it, but of course that isn't true of ponies generally)

Tirek we know is there, and as far as I can tell, there isn't really any other powerful and evil being they have that CAN be locked up there (smokebutt got smashed to pieces, cheesebutt is still on the loose (and presumably could just change to something that could squeeze easily out of a cage), and even if Discord wasn't reformed, Tartarus isn't really going to hold them.  There was (briefly) the Pony of Shadows, but they got pushed back into the void.  Stormy went the same way as smokebutt, so that's the lot for more recent bad guys other than Crazy Glow of course.

Given equestria's practice of reformation rather than imprisonment, it would seem reasonable that Tartarus is more there to act as a threat to potential evildooers than an actual working prison for them.

Perhaps but we do see other figures in its first appearance that just seem to have disapared.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

Who is smokebutt?

Cozy Glow is a fantastic villain for me because she is just so adorable, cute and innocent. No super powers. Just good old manipulating. Really reminds me to some disney "villains", lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Bas said:

Who is smokebutt?

Cozy Glow is a fantastic villain for me because she is just so adorable, cute and innocent. No super powers. Just good old manipulating. Really reminds me to some disney "villains", lol.

From the context I'd guess they're referring to Sombra and using canon show episodes not the comics where he gets resurected and also redeemed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

11 minutes ago, Senko said:

Perhaps I find it hard to belive she'd be believed especially since she'd have to keep dodging around what happened to Twilight, Starlight and the rest especially since her plan didn't go off properly and Neighsay told Celestia what she was up too.

 

Perhaps but we do see other figures in its first appearance that just seem to have disapared.

Maybe they escaped at the same time as Tirek, but are keeping their heads down so they aren't rounded up and stuck back in there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Senko said:

Perhaps I find it hard to belive she'd be believed especially since she'd have to keep dodging around what happened to Twilight, Starlight and the rest especially since her plan didn't go off properly and Neighsay told Celestia what she was up too.

 

Perhaps but we do see other figures in its first appearance that just seem to have disapared.

Oh, once Neighsay got to Celestia her plan was screwed, but that wasn't what she was originally aiming for.

She actually wouldn't need to dance around Twilight. Twilight (and Starlight according to Cozy) chose to go off and inspect Tartarus of their own free wills, but ended up becoming trapped inside because they lacked magic. It's tragic, but it'd be a stretch for anyone to blame Cozy for it. Especially since Twilight never mentioned where she got the idea that the threat might be tirek.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still don't understand Cozy Glow's reasoning behind her plan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I question the idea of putting Cozy in Tartarus. I also wonder how the residents are fed and kept clean. There has to be a staff, yet there were none to be seen in the show. Perhaps the location is magical, and so long as you're there you don't need anything? In any case, Cozy is really young - normally I dislike that so many villains are reformed, but here is a situation where that'd be appropriate. Maybe that's a job for Starlight Glimmer.

> It's tragic, but it'd be a stretch for anyone to blame Cozy for it.

Cozy packed the magic key for them, and it conveniently imploded after use. Her intent was for Starlight to go along, but she had to make new plans when it was decided that Starlight would stay and run the school. Obviously, she wanted them to become trapped there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Regent said:

Cozy packed the magic key for them, and it conveniently imploded after use. Her intent was for Starlight to go along, but she had to make new plans when it was decided that Starlight would stay and run the school. Obviously, she wanted them to become trapped there.

But who actually knew of these things? If the mane 6 didn't tell anyone about the magic key that conveniently exploded, or that it was Cozy who pointed them towards Tartarus, then where's the trail one could follow back to Cozy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Join the herd!

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.