Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I'm not looking forward to the next story of MLP

ManaMinori

Call it g5, or 4.5. It's the toyline that marks a new gen, not the tv show. But that's now what I'm here to talk about. 

What I want to address is the leaked concept art of "g5" that happened a while ago. First off- I am fully aware that concept art is just that, and is more than likely to change as the final product/version is implemented. 

Even so....we only knpw so much, at this point in time, from the leaked art, and that is...*siiiiigh* that the mane 6 will be the main focus..again.

And again, I must stress, I know that nothing is set in stone, from what we currently know,  as fans. But the thought of starting a reboot series and toyline off with the same faces as g4 just doesn't sit well with me. It doesn't matter what new setting they could be put in,  or what new personalities they're given...people will still identify them as the same g4 characters in an instant, due to appearrances alone. 

This possibility of MLP being a franchise solely around the same 6 faces from 2010 to an indefinite time scares me. That's not how MLP's franchise has been run, as far as the series is concerned. I feel there's going to be less diversity of characters given the spotlight in both the show and the toyline. Heck, we're pretty much already seeing the effects in the g4 toyline!

9 years of g4 and its mane 6 is plenty. I would much rather see new ponies be the focus of any future reboot of the series to come.

• Brohoof 5

I'm with you. It is a pity they don't dare to do something totally new with mlp. But, I will be happy if the lore and background of the characters are a bit better. :dash:

• Brohoof 3

I'm with you 100%. I do not want to see the same old mane 6, I do not like them at all, they get the focus constantly and they have been around for 9 years. I think enough is enough of them, they have had their run and their fun. It's time for something new and fresh. I want to see a blank slate, something completely new with a different plot.

• Brohoof 1

5 minutes ago, Califorum said:

I'm with you 100%. I do not want to see the same old mane 6, I do not like them at all, they get the focus constantly and they have been around for 9 years. I think enough is enough of them, they have had their run and their fun. It's time for something new and fresh. I want to see a blank slate, something completely new with a different plot.

I love them and could deal with another ten seasons of G4. But I would much rather they do something new. I don't even see why there's a need to make it G5. Just keep the world and the style that has become an iconic cultural phenomenon and expand outward. There's a billion more stories to tell that don't need the Mane 6.

• Brohoof 3

Just now, bornAgainEquestrian said:

I love them and could deal with another ten seasons of G4. But I would much rather they do something new. I don't even see why there's a need to make it G5. Just keep the world and the style that has become an iconic cultural phenomenon and expand outward. There's a billion more stories to tell that don't need the Mane 6.

That's a fair point there. I'm fine with references to G4 but not anything from G4. Maybe alternate takes on characters could be a thing, I don't know.

Hasbro just wants toys they know will sell; despite many employees knowing deep down inside that rebooting would hurt the Mane 6's image.

It'd be great if G5 were a new art style following up to G4, being some form of future afterwards. 20 years later maybe? Twilight would look the same beside being a bit taller and all her friends would start having their manes grey. Spike would be a little taller probably, and the student 6 would be a bit younger than Mayor Mare is in G4. I could go on and on, but its all without purpose.

• Brohoof 2

I'm of two minds. I do want new characters to follow and fall in love with, and recasting beloved characters is usually not handled well, or becomes a fandom lightning rod for comparisons and complaints. At the same time, the idea of a different theme or narrative focus along with some changes to the Mane Six has be interested in what they may have in store. 

• Brohoof 7

3 minutes ago, Jeric said:

recasting beloved characters is usually not handled well, or becomes a fandom lightning rod for comparisons and complaints.

Having been around as a Star Wars fan when Episode 1 happened, and being a Trekkie when the J.J. Abrams reboot happened, I'm pretty worried about the impact this may have on the fandom as a whole.

I'm already calling, this is going to be a thing. #notMyPrincess

10 minutes ago, Nye said:

Hasbro just wants toys they know will sell; despite many employees knowing deep down inside that rebooting would hurt the Mane 6's image.

It'd be great if G5 were a new art style following up to G4, being some form of future afterwards. 20 years later maybe? Twilight would look the same beside being a bit taller and all her friends would start having their manes grey. Spike would be a little taller probably, and the student 6 would be a bit younger than Mayor Mare is in G4. I could go on and on, but its all without purpose.

That has the potential to go to a rather depressing place. Even as a kid's show, for some reason, the "Logan" film keeps coming to mind. Besides, putting them at that age, you're also going to marry some of them off. You know how many hearts you're going to break with that?

A trip to the past would be cool too though. Celestia and Luna with the rising of Discord, the creation of the Elements, the Crystal Empire during Sombra's reign, and also Starswirl.

Edited by bornAgainEquestrian
  • Brohoof 3

Honestly, as someone who loves and adores the Mane Six and has them as some of my absolute favorite characters, I'm also not really looking forward to them being the stars of G5, mainly cause it won't be the same Mane six. Even if they look very similar, or mostly act very similar, they're still different characters, they'll never be the Mane Six I fell in love with in the first place. If they really want to go for a whole new world, I'd rather they just give me totally new characters to try and love, rather than giving me the extra hurdle of trying to accept them as their own characters even though they're wearing the Mane Six's faces.

It's kind of an issue I have with reboots really, usually the first version of something I get into is the one I get attached to, and then no matter how good the reboots are, they just aren't the same thing I liked or fell in love with, so pretending to be ends up making it harder to like overall.

• Brohoof 2

21 minutes ago, BasementSparkle said:

Even if they look very similar, or mostly act very similar, they're still different characters

Yeeeeah.... the writers even taught us to wary of that sort of thing...

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.dec27fb92099e6e1354c234d95ee142c.png

Edited by bornAgainEquestrian
  • Brohoof 2

9 hours ago, bornAgainEquestrian said:

Yeeeeah.... the writers even taught us to wary of that sort of thing...

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.dec27fb92099e6e1354c234d95ee142c.png

I'm going to assume that any thing after season 9 is Changelings. Rehashed Mane 6? Changelings.  Everything Changelings.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2018 at 8:42 AM, Kevin Tang said:

New characters will be great but I hope they will include the connection with the past generation

what I think will be  truly beneficial for both the toyline and the series itself will be if Hasbro takes a Digimon approach to the next gen, rather than a Pokemon one. Don't just give us a new region or alternate world with the same main characters, resetting back to square 1 with each reboot (coughAshKetchumEffect), rather, introduce a new cast once the old ones grow and have nothing more to learn. This will also create nostalgia for the people who grew up with the older cast of characters (Twilight, Pinkie, Dash, Flutters, Rarity, AJ) and sure, it will be bittersweet once they're gone and out of the picture in later gens, but it also creates opportunity to reintroduce them in future gens and have that sense of longing and nostalgia eased. This can't happen if we see the saaaaaaame 6 faces over and over again throughout each generation, no matter if they're given different settings or alternate universe personalities or not.

• Brohoof 3

If I were a Rarity or Rainbow Dash fan, I'd definitely leave after 8 seasons. But since I'm a Fluttershy and/or Pinkie fan, I'm staying in the Brony fandom in hopes that they'll have bigger roles than Season 8.

Either way no matter what happens, this will be my final year in the Brony fandom as well because I can't waste my whole life on My Little Pony any longer, since I'll be 29 years old by then.

Yeah, I also think it’s time to get new characters by then. Not only for the inevitable comparisons, but also because the Mane6 already hoarded so much spotlight, and they are starting to feel stagnant. Maybe those concept arts are just testing art styles

Good thing that those 'leaked images' were 'concept art' which means that they are most likely to be changed before the final versions are revealed. On the subject of the next generation of the brand, I'm expecting new versions of characters we've already seen. This has been a trend Hasbro has been using since generation two so it wouldn't surprise me to see them do this again. Sure, it becomes predictable as you know what to expect but then Hasbro doesn't care so long as it means selling toys.

for me, I hope this version of mlp will continue at least five more seasons. I am so immersed in the story that I will be sad to see it go. I just hope when gen five does come, they will do it right so then the majority of the fandom will be happy, if not all. I just hope that if they do continue gen 4, they will keep away from Starlight (since I haven't seen Season 8, I don't know if they already did that) for a while, maybe only one or two episodes for her per season. 

Edited by kewlman2006

This post is incorrect about a lot of things, let's start with the most important one: G5 is NOT centered around the Mane 6 from G4. In fact, that is emphasized quite a few times throughout the leaked documents, I'm not even sure why this misconception is so widespread. They straight-up say in several instances that G5 will feature an entirely new cast of main characters. The only reason the art of the Mane 6 from is present in the docs, if anyone bothered to even read attached notes, is because A. The main characters of G5 had not been created at the time, and B. to test out the new artstyles. The characters that we currently call the Mane 6 will just be random characters in G5. Some of them might be background characters like Lyra, or secondary characters who are prominent for only an episode or two, like Coco. So that's one worry taken off your list. Let's get to the other one.

No, it is most certainly NOT "too early". If anything, the content we saw in the leaks is pretty close to, if not THE, final drafts. How do we know this? Because, again, if anyone had bothered to read the rest of the documents, it is stated that G5 is starting with a feature-length CG film as its pilot, which will be airing in 2021. That means that everything has to be ready to begin production before they begin any work on the movie, since it's only 3 years from now, and CG movies take at LEAST that long to make. The only way the movie will be done by then is if they either began work soon after the leaks, or perhaps they had already begun work before the leaks happened. Bottom line is, it's actually too late for any major changes. If we had discovered these leaks 5 years ago or so, then yes, that would've been far too early for anything to be set in stone. But, with only 3 years to go, they've probably already been working on the movie for quite some time.

Evidently I am one of the few who actually bothered to pay attention to all the info instead of just gawking at a single piece of art and making wild assumptions.

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Tricky Berry said:

This post is incorrect about a lot of things, let's start with the most important one: G5 is NOT centered around the Mane 6 from G4. In fact, that is emphasized quite a few times throughout the leaked documents, I'm not even sure why this misconception is so widespread. They straight-up say in several instances that G5 will feature an entirely new cast of main characters. The only reason the art of the Mane 6 from is present in the docs, if anyone bothered to even read attached notes, is because A. The main characters of G5 had not been created at the time, and B. to test out the new artstyles. The characters that we currently call the Mane 6 will just be random characters in G5. Some of them might be background characters like Lyra, or secondary characters who are prominent for only an episode or two, like Coco. So that's one worry taken off your list. Let's get to the other one.

No, it is most certainly NOT "too early". If anything, the content we saw in the leaks is pretty close to, if not THE, final drafts. How do we know this? Because, again, if anyone had bothered to read the rest of the documents, it is stated that G5 is starting with a feature-length CG film as its pilot, which will be airing in 2021. That means that everything has to be ready to begin production before they begin any work on the movie, since it's only 3 years from now, and CG movies take at LEAST that long to make. The only way the movie will be done by then is if they either began work soon after the leaks, or perhaps they had already begun work before the leaks happened. Bottom line is, it's actually too late for any major changes. If we had discovered these leaks 5 years ago or so, then yes, that would've been far too early for anything to be set in stone. But, with only 3 years to go, they've probably already been working on the movie for quite some time.

Evidently I am one of the few who actually bothered to pay attention to all the info instead of just gawking at a single piece of art and making wild assumptions.

could you, perhaps, put up the source, in that case?

9 hours ago, kewlman2006 said:

for me, I hope this version of mlp will continue at least five more seasons. I am so immersed in the story that I will be sad to see it go. I just hope when gen five does come, they will do it right so then the majority of the fandom will be happy, if not all. I just hope that if they do continue gen 4, they will keep away from Starlight (since I haven't seen Season 8, I don't know if they already did that) for a while, maybe only one or two episodes for her per season. 

IMO, I think just one more Season is enough – that is, at least for Pinkie and Fluttershy but not for the rest of the Mane 6. Twilight has gotten her own castle, taught characters like Starlight and the students about friendship; Rainbow Dash is now a Wonderbolt; Rarity has her Manehattan store; and all three of them have gotten Season 8 the most. Also them, along with Applejack, already have had multiple episodes with each other and the Crusaders and at least one full episode with the Student Six, so only Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie (my two favorite ponies) remain for Season 9, before they are all done for good, and then we can get ready for G5 afterwards.

Edited by FirePuppy
  • Brohoof 1

The target audience is not us old guys. It's the continuous new stream of 5 year old girls. One thing about kids is they do not like old stuff. G4 is becoming old (tear) I think about my childhood watching ninja turtles, if I showed my ninja turtles to kids now they will view it as old fashion and not like the new ninja turtles. Just like o viewed the old Batman movies before Batman begins. And even that in all its glory has been rebranded. Our little ponies must do the same in order to survive. And one day g4 will be like watching old 60s star trek when we have the new reboot. Hopefully the writing and animation doesn't go to the craps (like the new ninja turtles) and we will be fine.