Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

British and American English

Nye

So I was really tired when I thought of this; and when I am tired, I think of the most mundane things. British English and American English differences.

What about it? The "our" and "or" at the end of select words. Such as humor and humour, rumor and rumour, etc. 

Anyways, I noticed that we say "your" instead of "yor." It seemed strange to me and the "yor" made more sense at the time; we use "or" for the most part. Which is pretty stupid, but regardless, this is what I think of when I am really tired.

I hope anypony who reads this finds my sleepy ideas amusing. 

Edited by Nye
To let everypony know, I am American, so I normally use "or"
  • Brohoof 4

I'm an American, but I've watched so much British television that at an early age I fell in love with certain words/sayings from across the pond. I went through a phase when I was a teen where I would pronounce words like aluminum and vitamin the way I heard them said on British programming. In the United States we say "A-loom-in-um" I like "Al-You-Mini-um" much better!

• Brohoof 5

"Well? Don't you love the colours of this site?"

"Would you like some chips with that?"

"Gasoline? Oh! You mean petrol?

I always thought of British English as unique.

• Brohoof 1

Having been born and raised for the first third of my life in England, I was brought up on the British version of English. Even now after so many years living in Canada, I still use British variations of words.

• Brohoof 2

I'm Australian, so I naturally pronounce and write words using British English. It does tend to get annoying when my laptop's keyboard defaults to American English, as I wasn't brought up with it. 

• Brohoof 2

I tend to use American English... I guess it's especially because going to American websites for years has made those spellings (like "color" as opposed to "colour") the more familiar one for me. The same with certain pronunciations due to me watching more American shows. Though there are exceptions – for some words I prefer the British spelling ("manoeuvre" for one), though I try to be consistent, and sometimes I find myself using typically British phrases (like "spot on"). :)

Edited by Tacodidra
  • Brohoof 6

One thing I don't understand about the brits is how they do "our" instead of "or. Like colour instead of color. Color in my eyes just looks much nicer to the eyes.

• Brohoof 4

I’m all about my American English, and my American heritage in general (to balance out Kyoshi’s pessimism), but I’ve spent so much time listening to and reading UK English dialects that understanding it is no problem.

I listened to a funny anecdote from a Brit once where they read a dress code that stated “formal pants required” and his mind immediately thought “formal underwear?”.

• Brohoof 1

I've always liked how some words are spelled differently in British, such as Theatre, Centre, and Litre instead of the usual "-ter" ending in the U.S.

• Brohoof 2

I learned English a as foreign language, so I learned British English - "the original one". Now I mostly use American spelling and phrasing (except for "I could care less" and similar abominations), as it's more widely used on the Internet.

• Brohoof 2

Even though i was to the UK only once in my life, and for 2 weeks, I still try to spell in the Queen's english. Although they have some words that shouldnt be used for what they are.
for example:
We call it the hood of the car, whilst they call it a bonnet. Last time I checked, a bonnet was a clothing piece....and i love my car, but im not gonna buy it clothes.

I try to use the UK version of English more nowadays since todays people think esketti, yolo, and skrrrrrt are english words.

• Brohoof 2

As an American, I use American spellings, and I think they often make more sense given that the key difference is the omission of unnecessary, silent letters.

On the other hand, I prefer some British pronunciations and terminology that aren't used here.

• Brohoof 2

On 8/23/2018 at 7:00 PM, Olly said:

The british are free to come to america so we can teach them proper english 

I think you got that the wrong way around. The English will teach you PROPER English

• Brohoof 3

I'm actually British, and though I've been taught to read and write in British English, and for convenience I use that version of the language in tests and whatnot, I am probably more fluent in American English, which is the version that I primarily use when in casual discussions and online, as it tends to be the more common of the two versions. This is mainly a result of my exposure to American media as a child, including sitcoms, YouTube channels etc. 

It really only boils down to little modifications at the end and of the day, such as saying "candy" instead of "sweets" spelling "colors" without the letter "U". That said, it's still enough for a significant amount of my peers to claim that I have an American accent, which... I guess that they don't fully understand what the definition of an accent is?:-D

• Brohoof 2

• 8 months later...
On 8/23/2018 at 7:00 PM, Olly said:

The british are free to come to america so we can teach them proper english 

... We invented English though, so shouldn't it be the other way round? :derp:

• Brohoof 3

2 hours ago, Nsxile said:

... We invented English though, so shouldn't it be the other way round? :derp:

I mean, I could explain what I was doing there but that's much more difficult than just... letting you think about it

• Brohoof 3