Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Something that worries me about G5

Plonkett

It has nothing to do with the show itself, because given what we've been hearing from leaks, there's a lot of hype surrounding G5 (apart from the diversity issue). However, what concerns me is that what if the current CEO of Hasbro steps down for whatever reason, and is replaced with someone who hates the brony fandom and wants Hasbro to sever ties with it altogether. On top of that, the new CEO completely scrapping all current development of G5, and then replacing it with another version of G1-G3, but this time with either shitty Flash or 3d CGI, and having the same whitewashed girlieness of (if not worse than) the gens before 4. I just hope development stays consistent until the final product.

Edited by vgmaster9
  • Brohoof 1

Brian Goldner is not going anywhere. Also, CEO's don't make decisions with huge properties like that based on willfully antagonizing one element of a customer base.  I mean, maybe if they made any Tom, DIck, and Harry a CEO, but these individuals usually have a far higher pedigree than your mental view of a mustache twirling villain. G5 may not be what you want, but rest assured that that will be based on business miscalculation, and not motivated by pettiness. 

• Brohoof 1

From a business side, cutting out a large part of what's making the show popular/is selling a lot of merch is an absolutely stupid idea and they probably only do that if they're complete masochistic idiots. 

And hey, if they for whatever reason did go down that route, we always have g4 :D

I think My Little Pony is big enough that it would take more than just a new CEO to greatly change things about G5. Hasbro would likely want to consult with people like shareholders before taking such a step. Just because there may be a CEO, doesn't mean My Little Pony is a one-man show. A corporation will do what it believes will generate the best profits. They'd be foolish to not take inspiration from the G4 business model that emphasizes the cartoon in a way that previous generations did not.

• Brohoof 3

I highly doubt that'll happen. There are a good number of CEOs who are freaking jerks, but no one is just going to storm into office screaming, "DOWN WITH BRONIES! DOWN WITH THE PEOPLE GIVING US A FREE RIDE!". Hasbro wants to sell merchandise above anything, and so long as we're helping their business, no change to their personnel is going to convince them to start antagonizing us.

• Brohoof 1

Hasbro would not let a CEO do anything to harm or kill this franchise. They wouldn’t be able to anyway. We’re about a year away from hearing anything about Gen5. So I think people need to calm down and wait for some actual news instead of hyperventilating over nothing.

• Brohoof 4

It is the current year. We had GamerGate. We have ComicsGate. Soy Wars happened. Anything is possible. That said, this concern still rests on the assumption that G2-3 style is something the non-Brony majority wants, and on the assumption that H-Bro wouldn't rather get woke and go broke with gender fluid feminazi ponies spouting hipster non-humor. They are doing it with MTG so it's not like this would be a precedent.

4 minutes ago, Goat-kun said:

It is the current year. We had GamerGate. We have ComicsGate. Soy Wars happened. Anything is possible. That said, this concern still rests on the assumption that G2-3 style is something the non-Brony majority wants, and on the assumption that H-Bro wouldn't rather get woke and go broke with gender fluid feminazi ponies spouting hipster non-humor. They are doing it with MTG so it's not like this would be a precedent.

What exactly are they doing with MTG?

3 minutes ago, vgmaster9 said:

What exactly are they doing with MTG?

Banning people for memes and hurtful opinions. Ignoring convicted pedophiles in the judge program. Leftists hiring leftists based on political orientation. Art style has become allergic to sexy things. The usual.

I don't think you have to worry about this to be honest.  Hasbro is a business and like all businesses care about making lots of money.  G4 has lasted the longest out of all the generations of MLP, and has been really profitable to the company.  I am pretty sure that Hasbro would take a look at that, and keep the aspects of FiM worked as a show in mind when creating the next installment of MLP.

• Brohoof 1

You don't have to worry about a thing. Hasbro knows that MLP is one of its top franchises that continues to earn the company money. To do something that would stifle it would go against their own business practices.

• Brohoof 1

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 5:32 PM, Jeric said:

Brian Goldner is not going anywhere. Also, CEO's don't make decisions with huge properties like that based on willfully antagonizing one element of a customer base.  I mean, maybe if they made any Tom, DIck, and Harry a CEO, but these individuals usually have a far higher pedigree than your mental view of a mustache twirling villain. G5 may not be what you want, but rest assured that that will be based on business miscalculation, and not motivated by pettiness. 

It could still be sudden though. Jim Samples stepped down as CEO of Cartoon Network due to a bomb scare in Boston regarding Aqua Teen Hunger Force. Who did he get replaced with? Stuart Snyder of course, and look at the direction it took since then. Not saying that a similar case could happen to Hasbro, but it's still something to think about. Its replacement CEO could just simply think that a G1-G3 style G5 is more profitable than what's currently being done.

(edited)
On 8/17/2018 at 5:41 PM, FalloutFloyd said:

From a business side, cutting out a large part of what's making the show popular/is selling a lot of merch is an absolutely stupid idea and they probably only do that if they're complete masochistic idiots. 

And hey, if they for whatever reason did go down that route, we always have g4 :D

They've done a couple of "what were they thinking?" blunders though and it's hard to be sure what the business end of Hasbro really thinks of all this. I mean, sure the creative end is cool with it, but one thing that always seemed strange is how little merchandise was ever made that focused on the more serious Brony side of the fandom. Merch that targets Bronies is almost exclusively the domain of Ebay and Etsy, which is really odd to me. Not talking about Rule 34 either, I just mean really simple, benign things that I can't believe they never bothered with, like Equestrian flags, Element jewelry, etc. There was a lot more money to be made and it's strange that a corporation that created a show SPECIFICALLY for the purpose of selling merchandise, somehow failed to take full advantage of selling merchandise.

Edited by bornAgainEquestrian

• 2 years later...
On 8/17/2018 at 11:24 PM, vgmaster9 said:

who hates the brony fandom

I am sad to say, that Bronies are not Hasbro's concern, even at G4 times. Never was.

Hasbro us all about the toys. They managed to create a good G4 show by luck, and they never had any help from Bronies to make that happen. G5 will not be G4, and Bronies will probably be replaced by sometime else, maybe equally good? It is up to you as a fan to stick around. Hasbro will not force you to stay